PDA

View Full Version : New to all this

Newsman
07-10-2017, 08:48
Hi, all. I have only recently been rediscovering all my old vinyl albums and realised I had nothing to play them on (long story). A very generous mate has loaned me his Rega turntable and an amplifier. But I'd appreciate any help other members could give me in terms of bookshelf speakers. I am almost entirely ignorant about the world of hi fi and really just want to find reasonably decent speakers for less than £100. I live in SE London. I'm a middle aged bloke, so musically my tastes run to Bowie, reggae, be bop jazz, etc. Look forward to hearing from one or two of you. Thank you.

struth
07-10-2017, 08:55
Welcome Brendan; plenty help here so open a question in Blank Canvas and see what folk think. give room size, musical taste and amp used etc and sure folk will give you good advice. (some might even have something to suit)

Puffin
07-10-2017, 09:35
Hi Brendan, if you want to spend less than £100 have a look on one of the popular internet auction sites for a pair of Mission 760i (and the SE) or the 780se their slightly bigger brother, but small enough for a bookshelf. IMO these are the best ever bookshelf speakers made in recent times. They are not made anymore.

SLS
07-10-2017, 10:03
My strong advice is to go to Richer sounds and buy these and save £21 from your budget.

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/hi-fi-deals.html?brand=76
https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/2020i/review

One of my kids bought a pair when he started Uni, he is a music nut, they perform very well and he has been very happy with them for the last couple of years.

Words of warning:
Your other kit is on loan, so if your mate wants it back you can easily sell the speakers to a local student.
Your records may not be in very good condition and you may find the experiment fails immediately.
Think very carefully if you want to get into this hobby. It can get expensive, especially with records.
If you want music in your home, you could sell your records, get a nice little digital system and make a big profit. Your collection may be quite valuable and there are thousands of sharks out there who will lie through their teeth to get their hands on collectibles for a fraction of their value. So be very careful. You get best value on eBay.
My younger son's audio system cost £129 + a spotify subscription, comprising Alessis active speakers (£99) and a Chromecast (£30).
If you really are determined to get into audio, and it is a declining hobby because kids aren't interested (they use headphones from a phone) and digital audio has knocked the stuffing out of it, you can get a perfectly good turntable from Richer for about £200, a Yamaha integrated amplifier with a phono input and digital inputs (so you can stream from your phone or computer) for about £300, and possibly a cartridge upgrade for about £50.

A lot of people here trade second hand units, lots of it vintage. Speakers do wear out. Vintage kit can be unreliable. You do not need that grief. Some people advertise at the "correct" price, a lot is overpriced as it a buyer's market. I once bought vintage (my elder son's home system) from a very reputable shop (Audio Gold) with a 6 month guarantee, and Quad because it can still be factory-serviced at fixed prices. I would stick to Richer: Yamaha, Onkyo etc. great value, just as good, and you get a 12 month guarantee.

Bigman80
07-10-2017, 10:48
Hi Brendan, if you want to spend less than £100 have a look on one of the popular internet auction sites for a pair of Mission 760i (and the SE) or the 780se their slightly bigger brother, but small enough for a bookshelf. IMO these are the best ever bookshelf speakers made in recent times. They are not made anymore.+1 for the Mission 780se. I sold mine to a guy who's harbeths had broken and he's never bothered repairing them. Says it all really. Excellent speaker and weigh a ton for their diminutive size.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk