PDA

View Full Version : New turntables - first Technics, now Yamaha?!

Beobloke
05-10-2017, 14:10
Following the SP-10R, it looks like there might possibly be another high end Japanese turntable in the offing...

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/tokyo-international-audio-show-2017-day-2

:eek:

Ammonite Audio
05-10-2017, 15:50
Not quite an SP-10R competitor, but it's nice to see the Japanese big names lending weight to the turntable market. I like the idea of the straight arm without offset, even if it appals Michael Fremer!

RobbieGong
05-10-2017, 15:53
Wish it was dd though

sq225917
05-10-2017, 16:29
Weird without offset, doesn't it need to be much longer or almost pivoting from the edge of the platter?

Ammonite Audio
05-10-2017, 16:38
Weird without offset, doesn't it need to be much longer or almost pivoting from the edge of the platter?

In theory, yes, but those odd little Abis straight arms apparently sound great!

Barry
05-10-2017, 18:03
In doing away with angular offset, there is only one degree of freedom to play with, and there will only one radius of the record groove where there is perfect tangential tracking. The single degree of freedom is the difference between the effective arm length (L) and the turntable centre (spigot) to arm pivot distance (D).

For arms with two degrees of freedom they are the arm overhang (L>D) and the offset angle.

For arms with a single degree of freedom, it is the arm underhang (L<D).

H. G. Baerwald, ‘Analytic treatment of tracking effort and notes on optimal pick-up design’. Journal of the Society of Motion Picture Engineers. pp. 591 – 622, 1941.

Ammonite Audio
05-10-2017, 18:07
In doing away with angular offset, there is only one degree of freedom to play with, and there will only one radius of the record groove where there is perfect tangential tracking. The single degree of freedom is the difference between the effective arm length (L) and the turntable centre (spigot) to arm pivot distance (D).

For arms with two degrees of freedom they are the arm overhang (L>D) and the offset angle.

For arms with a single degree of freedom, it is the arm underhang (L<D).

Of course, yet arms that deliberately fly in the face of that can apparently sound great, without any need for bias compensation. I'm not saying that ignoring accepted wisdom is better, just that lateral thinking sometimes brings surprising benefits. I like to see designers daring to be different.

Barry
05-10-2017, 18:21
The lack of bias compensation is an interesting advantage, as can be seen on the arm in question.

I'm not saying that ignoring accepted wisdom is better, just that lateral thinking sometimes brings surprising benefits. I like to see designers daring to be different.

Yes, such as the Reed 3P arm which allows azimuth adjustment 'on the fly', but in doing so causes arm motion in the vertical plane to deviate slightly from true verticality.

paulf-2007
05-10-2017, 18:53
Uhh belt drive

Beobloke
05-10-2017, 19:18
Also, don’t forget back in their heyday, Yamaha offered a non offset arm as an optional upgrade for the GT-2000 - the YSA-2.

Floyddroid
16-10-2017, 10:03
Wish it was dd though

I have stopped believing in all the direct drive bollocks. Good is good in both camps and equally bad is bad. Just my opinion guys not based on scientific fact!:scratch:

RobbieGong
16-10-2017, 12:36
I have stopped believing in all the direct drive bollocks. Good is good in both camps and equally bad is bad. Just my opinion guys not based on scientific fact!:scratch:

Defo agree, good and bad in both.

From strictly my own perspective, there's something about the belt round the platter that puts me off. Probably stupid really but as I say that's just me :mental: