PDA

View Full Version : Stillpoints Stuff

Ammonite Audio
09-02-2010, 18:07
Marco asked me to post pics of my Stillpoints ESS rack, and I clean forgot! So, here it is; also a shot of a Stillpoints Component Stand. The ESS rack is the old design: the new version has the same uprights, but the acrylic shelves are fully supported by stainless steel bars, incorporating the Stillpoints system (see www.stillpoints.us ).

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/hugocass/Stillpoints/DSCF0513.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/hugocass/Stillpoints/DSCF0514.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/hugocass/Stillpoints/DSCF0515.jpg

hifinutt
09-02-2010, 19:20
fabulous stuff , i like stillpoints but currently am using all sonority design with one set of ceraballs .
bet the speakers sound good on those stands tho

Marco
09-02-2010, 20:08
Hi Shuggs,

Nice one. Looks great - far better than that acrylic ReVo shite! :lol:

Sorry, Steve ;)

I'd definitely consider it if I ever get rid of my Mana... Looking forward to our sesh tomorrow :cool:

Marco.

Marc B
14-02-2010, 20:47
How big are the ones under the speakers ?

I need to make my speaker spikes a bit wider apart for stability and they look good.

The Vinyl Adventure
14-02-2010, 21:41
Looks nicer than my stone and platfoam too!

Ammonite Audio
21-02-2010, 20:56
How big are the ones under the speakers ?

I need to make my speaker spikes a bit wider apart for stability and they look good.

Sorry - I've only just noticed your question!

Each 'arm' of the component stand is 23cm long. Mine are 4-legged, as shown here:

http://www.stillpoints.us/Stillpoints/component_stands_files/stand_311.jpg

An adaptor thread couples the stand to the base of the speaker, replacing the circular black button bits. The Stillpoints system incorporated in the top and bottom of the stand does introduce a degree of movement, so these stands are not rock-solid. They are also very expensive!

selfaddict
08-07-2011, 18:10
Hi Hugo.

I just bought a pair of (three leg) second hand Stillpoints Component Stands for my speakers. They came with inverse mini ricers for the top and bottom of the stands(the black button bits)as standard. Have you tried the Stillpoints Isolation cones instead the inverse mini ricers, with the component stands? I am just wondering if the Isolation cones would make a difference under the speakers with the component stands.

I have send my amplifier for a service, so cannot test the component stands :(

An adaptor thread couples the stand to the base of the speaker, replacing the circular black button bits. The Stillpoints system incorporated in the top and bottom of the stand does introduce a degree of movement, so these stands are not rock-solid. They are also very expensive!

Ammonite Audio
08-07-2011, 20:34
Hi Hugo.

I just bought a pair of (three leg) second hand Stillpoints Component Stands for my speakers. They came with inverse mini ricers for the top and bottom of the stands(the black button bits)as standard. Have you tried the Stillpoints Isolation cones instead the inverse mini ricers, with the component stands? I am just wondering if the Isolation cones would make a difference under the speakers with the component stands.

I have send my amplifier for a service, so cannot test the component stands :(

The short answer to your question is 'yes' - Stillpoints cones would bring about a significant benefit, but they would also lift the speakers up by an inch or two, which may or may not be an issue. I used to have my ESS rack sitting on its standard mini-risers, but I was persuaded to substitute Stillpoints cones fitted into threaded risers - not only did that give me really easy height adjustment to take account of a wonky floor, but the improvement in musical satisfaction was significant.

As it happens, I have two sets of 3 Stillpoint cones and two sets of threaded risers for sale, if you are interested. The two combined are shown below, and are best use pointing upwards, with your existing mini-risers located on the ball of the Stillpoints, if that makes sense.

http://www.stillpoints.us/Stillponts/Applications_files/CS%26SP202-filtered.jpg

selfaddict
09-07-2011, 09:48
Hi Hugo and thanks for your interesting offer :).

I found this from the Stillpoints homepage:

Stillpoints Hierarchy of Performance

Stillpoints
Stillpoints with Threaded Riser or Stillpoints with Inverse Riser
Stillpoints with Threaded Riser and AL Hard Hat
Aluminum Ultra
Component Stand, any length
SS Ultra
Component Stand, any length, with SS Ultras in the rails
ESS with SS support bars, acrylic shelves
ESS with SS support bars, with Component Stands shelves instead of acrylic
ESS with SS support bars, with Component Stands shelves, with SS Ultras in the rails

When properly set up, sets of four outperform sets of three.
(Four legs outperform three legs)

So they recommend to use SS Ultras with the component stands to get the best result. This naturally comes with increased price tag, and if this is justifiable can only found out when demoed on ones system :scratch:.

Ammonite Audio
09-07-2011, 09:57
I've not seen nor experienced the Ultras, but Dave at Blade Audio (who imports them) naturally says that they are indeed rather special. Based on my own experiences with Stillpoints stuff, I have no reason to doubt him, but I could not justify the extra cost over the 'cooking' Stillpoints range (and I don't even know what the Ultras cost!).

Have you tried one of your Component Stands underneath your Garrard? You may be surprised (shocked, indeed) at the results.

selfaddict
09-07-2011, 10:44
I phoned Dave and the price for 6 SS Ultras is £1100 :eek:, well at least I know now. The height with Component Stands is now just perfect, so another 1.5 " would be to high for the speakers anyway. What Dave said is that best would be to use Component stands under mono blocks(far far away in the future purchase) and put set of SS Ultras under the speakers(four SS Ultras better than 3 again).

I've not seen nor experienced at the Ultras, but Dave at Blade Audio (who imports them) naturally says that they are indeed rather special. Based on my own experiences with Stillpoints stuff, I have no reason to doubt him, but I could not justify the extra cost over the 'cooking' Stillpoints range (and I don't even know what the Ultras cost!).

Great idea :). Currently I am using 4 Solid Tech Disc of Silence under the Garrard, but have to give a try with one Component stand once I get my Diavolo back from Tom.

http://www.solid-tech.net/isolator.htm#7

Have you tried one of your Component Stands underneath your Garrard? You may be surprised (shocked, indeed) at the results.