PDA

View Full Version : SP10R - Fremer in Tokyo with Technics

Jimbo
01-10-2017, 09:23
Interview with Fremer and Technics chief engineer and the SP10R.

I was very interested in what Technics had to say about production.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/talking-technics-sp-10r-ctochief-engineer-tetsuya-tony-itani

Ammonite Audio
01-10-2017, 09:51
In an increasingly crowded new turntable market, I think that the new SP10R will be a genuine game changer, and probably at a price that’s not totally silly (I have no more info on that than anyone else, btw). People spending pop stars’ money on things like Continuum, TecDas, ‘oil rig’ Clearaudios etc will no doubt scoff at the new SP10R, as many are already doing regarding the new SL-1200 series, but Technics will have the last laugh, and frankly we will all benefit. Technics are definitely on a roll!

farflungstar
01-10-2017, 10:20
In an increasingly crowded new turntable market, I think that the new SP10R will be a genuine game changer, and probably at a price that’s not totally silly (I have no more info on that than anyone else, btw). People spending pop stars’ money on things like Continuum, TecDas, ‘oil rig’ Clearaudios etc will no doubt scoff at the new SP10R, as many are already doing regarding the new SL-1200 series, but Technics will have the last laugh, and frankly we will all benefit. Technics are definitely on a roll!Totally agree Hugo.

Spectral Morn
01-10-2017, 10:23
Available as motor unit only :)

PSU/Speed Control compatible with old SP10 mk2 and 3 :) Could be available to buy as an upgrade.

SP10 new version drop in replacement for SP10 mk2 and 3

Reading between the lines it will have a Technics plinth option, with arm board options.

New tonearm for a complete package.

All that remains to know is how much. Waits with bated breath.

RobbieGong
01-10-2017, 12:47
SP 10 always been the real deal from Technics

farflungstar
01-10-2017, 12:49
I wouldn't swap mine for any other and can't wait to put the Reed on it.

paulf-2007
01-10-2017, 13:41
In an increasingly crowded new turntable market, I think that the new SP10R will be a genuine game changer, and probably at a price that’s not totally silly (I have no more info on that than anyone else, btw). People spending pop stars’ money on things like Continuum, TecDas, ‘oil rig’ Clearaudios etc will no doubt scoff at the new SP10R, as many are already doing regarding the new SL-1200 series, but Technics will have the last laugh, and frankly we will all benefit. Technics are definitely on a roll!
What would you consider not totally silly money Hugo

Ammonite Audio
01-10-2017, 14:04
What would you consider not totally silly money Hugo

Well, that’s a moveable concept! Some have suggested that the motor unit will be around $10k, which of course is not pocket money, but maybe with Technics build quality and proper long term manufacturer support represents long term value, so in my book not silly money, unlike TecDas, Continuum, Grand Prix and even top SME models let alone forklift borne horrors like the Acoustical Systems Apolyt (Google that one for pictures). Value means different things to different people, with differing pocket depths, but I’d be amazed if it will be possible to (significantly) better one of these new SP10Rs, when paired with a suitable plinth and a decent tonearm. And it will hold its value, likely becoming a sought after new classic.

One thing that I like about this is that it’s unpretentious, compact and not intended to be built into some monstrous plinth the size of a stack of pallets, so it’s relevant to music enthusiasts who live in normal houses and who can afford it. it has clearly not been designed and built to live up to a notional and stratospheric price tag. it has been designed to take and develop the superb motor system from the new 1200 series and implement it in a chassis that harks back to the old designs, indeed offering backward compatibility with plinths.

Barry
01-10-2017, 16:27
Well, that’s a moveable concept! Some have suggested that the motor unit will be around $10k, which of course is not pocket money, but maybe with Technics build quality and proper long term manufacturer support represents long term value, so in my book not silly money, unlike TecDas, Continuum, Grand Prix and even top SME models let alone forklift borne horrors like the Acoustical Systems Apolyt (Google that one for pictures). Value means different things to different people, with differing pocket depths, but I’d be amazed if it will be possible to (significantly) better one of these new SP10Rs, when paired with a suitable plinth and a decent tonearm. And it will hold its value, likely becoming a sought after new classic.

One thing that I like about this is that it’s unpretentious, compact and not intended to be built into some monstrous plinth the size of a stack of pallets, so it’s relevant to music enthusiasts who live in normal houses and who can afford it. it has clearly not been designed and built to live up to a notional and stratospheric price tag. it has been designed to take and develop the superb motor system from the new 1200 series and implement it in a chassis that harks back to the old designs, indeed offering backward compatibility with plinths.

Good post Hugo.

£10,000 is a lot of lolly for a TT, even for one as good as the new Technics SP10 appears to be. So I'll continue to rumble along with my Thorens 124s and EMT 930.

paulf-2007
01-10-2017, 17:04

Fortunately we are all different and some have more money than sense, but if that's their choice what they spend their money on. Personally 10k in pounds or dollars is utterly ridiculous.
I do agree it's a beautiful thing

paulf-2007
01-10-2017, 17:07
Good post Hugo.

£10,000 is a lot of lolly for a TT, even for one as good as the new Technics SP10 appears to be. So I'll continue to rumble along with my Thorens 124s and EMT 930.
+1 Barry, my DP80 does it for me.