PDA

View Full Version : The old Rega to Technics upgrade.

deek
29-09-2017, 15:01
Hi all,

You've heard it all before I'm sure but I have an old Planar 3 with AO rewired RB300 + DV10x5 and I'm thinking about upgrading to a modded SL1210.

I've been busy absorbing the wealth of knowledge in the Techiepedia and for the most part the majority of my questions have been answered (thanks everyone).

My first port of call is to get a 2nd-hand unit and install the arm/cart. Is an sl12010 with rewired RB300 and DV10x5 a good combo or is this likely to put me off? Has anyone heard this or similar setups? I've seen off-the-shelf upgrades with SME or Michell Tecnoarm - are these somehow preferable?

Am I right in thinking that all I need is an OL rega armboard to accomodate this? Is there anything else I should consider? for VTA adjustment, etc.

Excuse the newbie question but what improvements/differences can I expect by just changing the arm/cart? Am I expecting too much from this upgrade?

May or may not be relevant but I currently use olive+chrome-bumper Naim amplification and listen to Rock/Metal/Punk/Krautrock/Indie/Jazz and a small amount of electronic.

Cheers.

Spectral Morn
29-09-2017, 15:27
Hi all,

You've heard it all before I'm sure but I have an old Planar 3 with AO rewired RB300 + DV10x5 and I'm thinking about upgrading to a modded SL1210.

I've been busy absorbing the wealth of knowledge in the Techiepedia and for the most part the majority of my questions have been answered (thanks everyone).

My first port of call is to get a 2nd-hand unit and install the arm/cart. Is an sl12010 with rewired RB300 and DV10x5 a good combo or is this likely to put me off? Has anyone heard this or similar setups? I've seen off-the-shelf upgrades with SME or Michell Tecnoarm - are these somehow preferable?

Am I right in thinking that all I need is an OL rega armboard to accomodate this? Is there anything else I should consider? for VTA adjustment, etc.

Excuse the newbie question but what improvements/differences can I expect by just changing the arm/cart? Am I expecting to much from this upgrade?

May or may not be relevant but I currently use olive+chrome-bumper Naim amplification and listen to Rock/Metal/Punk/Krautrock/Indie/Jazz and a small amount of electronic.

Cheers.

Everyone's mileage varies on this but I think the Rega RB300 is a reasonably good match on the Technics, and yes an OL armboard and OL VTA adjuster is all that is required. Others will suggest the Jelco 750d and that works well too. Tried both and think both are good, and as you have the RB300 its a good start.

Macca
29-09-2017, 15:35
Rich B stuck a Rega arm on his and it sounded excellent, but can't recall if he used an RB300 or an RB250. It works, anyway, I can vouch for that.

homespun
29-09-2017, 17:54
Deek, If you read my posts on slight wow from old Rega Planar 3/RB300 arm I decided not to throw more money at it and retire it but try a direct drive deck. I ended up with the budget end of decks with an Audio Technica AT LP5 including the AT95XE cartridge. The sound is every bit as good as the Rega on a blind test but no more wow and absolutely silent. I up graded the cart to a Nagaoka MB100, as in my opinion the arm can handle it, and it does. What Hi Fi said it was outstanding for the money and you would have to spend significantly more to get better. Audio Technica got this one right and I have no intention of fitting after market up grades, not worth it. to describe this deck's performance is simple, it plays records with authority.

Its hooked up to an integrated Mitchel and Johnson amp, good old 79 strand speaker cable and a pair of B&W book shelf speakers. I keep the original AT95XE in a spare head shell., so nothing special but it fills my living room with nice music. I wish you success in your project, I think the stigma of direct drive is no longer valid

moodybuilder
29-09-2017, 17:59
i still use a audio origami modded rb300 which i still find very musical i prefer it to sme 4, i did use it with a dv karat 17d2 which was very good combination,try the ian mac bearing next,

deek
29-09-2017, 18:12
Thanks everyone. I'm keeping my eye on the usual places for a decent example. I could be very tempted by an already modded 1210 but these don't seem to come up (perhaps for good reason) and it would be foolish to not use what I already have.

Homespun, I've been following your thread as it's quite similar to mine but didn't want to hijack it. Thanks for your reply, I will take a look at the AT (although I know deep down that the 1210 scratch needs itched).

DSJR
29-09-2017, 18:24
If the Rega can't be fitted on its wall shelf, and the motor is suspended rather than the later fixed version (now in 24V guise), I'd probably flog it and look for a modern replacement - apparently a new Planar 2 will outperform an old Planar 3/RB300 as everything's been refined and the arm is claimed to be better anyway. Trouble is, 'proper' decks really start at a grand and go higher these days

Not everyone will find this, but my thoughts on the old RB arms is that it's so easy to get them to sound musically bland and rather 'muted' in tone and 'feel.' Metal armboards aren't always best ime with these arms and possibly a techie with one of speedy-Steve's wooden jobbies may be better.

Finally, you're stuck with a 10XV - now very silly money to buy new and rather too 'safe' sounding for me, like a DL110 which it really competes with in my experience and used to when they basically cost the same when the V was an almost identical IV - only the mounting plate was altered I was told and this to re-negotiate manufacturing and hence retail prices... Not sure your existing deck wouldn't sound far better with an AT-F7 as the previous F5 worked so brilliantly in an RB300, one taming the other so well I thought. The F7 will need an MC input though.

Such a shame the sub £1k turntable market is stuck with the same old options. A stock techie is different but maybe not really 'better' than a modern Rega 3, but you may find that one excels where the other lags - the *modern* Rega perhaps, has the better arm and tonal/musical setup, but the Techie has proper pitch stability and runs at precisely the right speed while adding a certain sense of 'drive' to the sound...

Good luck. May be a good idea to save harder and change the entire thing for the next level up? In the meantime, tighten the tonearm fixing nut carefully as well as the main bearing nut, replace the mat if it's old and going fluffy and probably belt too if it's had a thousand or so hours of use. These decks really sound best on their wall bracket, as the bass is so much better I always thought.

deek
29-09-2017, 18:57
Thanks DSJR. My planar is the old one with an elastic band 'securing' the motor. It is on a dedicated wall shelf, I can dance and pogo right next to the deck and it doesn't get upset one bit. It really does sound decent and musically involving but just a bit light at times (and the obvious speed issues). You're right about the cart, I use an MC stage, I tried MM but the music was lifeless.

I've no problem with changing the entire thing :) A while back I thought the next step was an LP12 and even investigated this but this past month I'm not so sure. What do you suggest is the next level up? I started out looking Timestep's offerings but then wondered about the rega arm.

martian sunrise
29-09-2017, 19:44
Im thinking about shifting my modded 1210. I'll pm you.

homespun
30-09-2017, 16:08
Deek, if you have set your heart on some like the SL1210, then go for it. I went over to direct drive in trepidation, unknown territory if you like, but i'm glad I did

Jeff Wood
30-09-2017, 16:16
I'm actually thinking of selling my modded SL1210 MK2

As I've been saying in another thread, I use my Rega Dac and laptop so much these days that I hardly ever play records.

It's got most of the mods done; Rewired tone arm, Kab tone arm damper, Isonone feet, MCRU two stage power supply, Ortofon concorde cartridge with a stylus 30. Ian Mac bearing.

The deck itself is mint, the previous owner had bought it new and hardly ever used it.

I've also got an LFD Audio MMO phono stage which I can very highly recommend. Sounds even better than the built in Rega phono stage (on an Elex R I mean).

deek
01-10-2017, 17:32
Cheers for all your replies/PMs, I'm undecided how to proceed right now so will do nothing until I do have an idea, I don't wish to waste anyones time.

I think DSJR made a good point about moving to the next level up (I read this as meaning a proper upgrade) rather than just throwing the arm/cart on a 2nd hand 1210 and hoping for the best. I am also concerned that I've never heard a 1200/1210 in the home environment.

I occasionally think "bugger-it, why not just get the new Planar 6 and be done with it" but the 1210 itch is still there. I have to admit though that the soft-spot is for the stock-looking-deck, I am not a fan of those isonoe feet and I'm not 100% sold on platter upgrades since they look a bit odd with the strobe light. Do these particular mods make such an improvement?

Jeff Wood
02-10-2017, 11:40
I'm with you on the tone arm and platter, I think its nice to keep a 1210 looking stock, it's a real icon after all.

I don't mind the feet, I think they look OK tbh.

But anyway, the feet don't make a huge difference imo.

But as for which way to go, I would say it depends on what sort of music you like, if its dance music then definiitely get the 1210, it really kicks ass, especially with an Ian Mac bearing.

I would say just go for it, find a mint 1210, get the arm rewired, stick a decent cart on and enjoy it..

If you can, get an Ian Mac bearing.

They're the important mods imo, the rest of the mods are just very subtle improvements..

Spectral Morn
02-10-2017, 11:49
I'm with you on the tone arm and platter, I think its nice to keep a 1210 looking stock, it's a real icon after all.

But as for which way to go, I would say it depends on what sort of music you like, if its dance music then definiitely get the 1210, it really kicks ass, especially with an Ian Mac bearing.

I would say just go for it, find a mint 1210, get the arm rewired, stick a decent cart on and enjoy it..

They're the important mods imo, the rest of the mods are just very subtle improvements..

As with everything choice of feet do make a difference and I think the Isonoes are still the best option out there, that I have heard.

Mats make a big difference as does the PSU, I would recommend Paul Hynes, Origin Live or Long Dog Audio PSUs for the Technics. Frankly I wouldn't rewire the existing arm, better replaced In my experience.

I also think that even a modern entry level Rega TT isn't going to be as good, but others mileage will vary, as in all things.

deek
02-10-2017, 14:26

I mainly listen to rock/metal/punk/indie and some jazz.