PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to control open baffle bass digitally

Puffin
22-09-2017, 08:10
I seem to remember seeing a Minidsp gadget that was something like a Dac that processed frequencies digitally so that you didn't have to faff about with amp for each drive unit.....or am I am imagining it:)

Would one of these do it?

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

Macca
22-09-2017, 11:19
Should do

Puffin
22-09-2017, 13:59
Cheers.

Ali Tait
22-09-2017, 14:17
Rob, what is it you want to achieve?

If it's to drive your OB's with one stereo amp then no, you'd need to use two amps (assuming a two way OB).

One amp would drive the mid/top driver and the other the bass. The minidsp would act as the crossover, you can set this as you please. When you buy the unit, buy the software to run it. Dead easy to use via a USB lead, and you can alter the crossover on the fly, so easy to tune.

Puffin
22-09-2017, 18:32
Hi Ali, I have already split the crossover to run the bass independently, so I would be using two amps. (Numpty Time) would I remove or leave in place any passive components in the bass crossover?

Ali Tait
23-09-2017, 07:27
Ok cool, what you need to do is remove your passive crossover and replicate it with the software in the minidsp. The unit sits between your preamp and power amps, so feeds the relevant frequencies to each amp. This takes the place of the passive crossover.

Actually, it's a good opportunity to compare active v passive crossovers. Let us know what you think.

What drivers are you using in the OB's?

BTW, don't know what your budget is, but if you can stretch to the 4x10hd, it's considerably better sounding than the 2x4, and gives you remote source selection and volume control.

Give me a shout if you need a hand with setting it up.

Puffin
23-09-2017, 12:15
Thanks for that Ali. Will report back when I have bought one and got it running.....it might take some time :)

Ali Tait
23-09-2017, 13:16
No worries. Have fun. :-)