PDA

View Full Version : Just bought used cdp, remote faulty?

Mikeandvan
18-09-2017, 22:05
Just bought a Pioneer 8700 cdp, the remote doesn't work, no matter what button you press the only thing it does is start the song the cdp is playing again. The cdp itself works fine, the seller has offered to buy a replacement remote, but my worry is that the problem may'be within the cdp rather than the remote. If that sounds stupid then please stop me!

agk
18-09-2017, 22:33
Sounds as if someone may have spilt their drink in the remote. They are usually fairly easy to get into for a clean.

Mikeandvan
18-09-2017, 23:45
Really? How?

Light Dependant Resistor
19-09-2017, 02:18
Just bought a Pioneer 8700 cdp, the remote doesn't work, no matter what button you press the only thing it does is start the song the cdp is playing again. The cdp itself works fine, the seller has offered to buy a replacement remote, but my worry is that the problem may'be within the cdp rather than the remote. If that sounds stupid then please stop me!

First thing to check is the batteries if they have sufficient voltage. Most remotes use either 2x AA or AAA batteries in series to give 3v.
Another check is corrosion on the battery terminals, usually seen as a greenish deposit, or battery connectors not reaching to the batteries
Other than that remotes are pretty reliable.

struth
19-09-2017, 05:04
Also check it's the correct remote. If it's a deal breaker then send it back

Michael loves music
19-09-2017, 07:39
I'd throw the remote in the bin and walk to the CD player

Mikeandvan
19-09-2017, 10:44
The remote has no corrosion on battery terminals, seller has offered to source another one. Just wanted to check that the fault couldn't possibly lie within the cdp itself, if that sounds stupid, apologies. This player sounds considerably better than my last one - a Sony, and looks great, so I'd like to keep it. Guess I'll try opening it up, what then?

Mikeandvan
19-09-2017, 10:45
I get enough exercise with the TT.

struth
19-09-2017, 10:49
also check it is on cd, if it does more than one unit.

walpurgis
19-09-2017, 10:50
I may have a spare Pioneer CD remote if you get stuck Mike.

Mikeandvan
19-09-2017, 11:32
Thanks a lot, the one I have is model number CU-POO53. It is for the sole use of the cdp.

struth
19-09-2017, 11:38
One way to check remote would be to use a digital camera(that doesn't employ a infra red filter like an iphone) My mini canon works fine for this... looking through the viewfinder/screen at the remote led, when you press buttons you should see it light up .. Might not be of use to you here but its a handy trick for seeing if your remote is sending a signal

mikeyb
19-09-2017, 11:39
Another option would be a basic OneforAll universal remote and program it to work the CDP.

Mikeandvan
19-09-2017, 12:06
Its working now, I simply prised it apart, took a quick look at it, scratched my head, and put it back together again! Obviously it just needed a breather....
Compared to my old Sony 715E, this Pioneer is quite stunning and looks great too. Time to buy some more cds.

struth
19-09-2017, 12:24
could have been the play btn slightly stuck down. ive had that too.

JimC
19-09-2017, 17:44
Lovely players the Pioneers from this era and just before. Enjoy.

Just a word of warning, it uses the PEA1030 Laser which had a habit of having its Lens drop off. I suspect though if it's lasted this long it would have done so by now.
The Lasers are no longer available from Pioneer though and have become really expensive from everywhere else............

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpioneer+p ea1030.TRS0&_nkw=pioneer+pea1030&_sacat=0

I'm in a similar 'boat' with my PD-73 though I do have a spare (or two !) as I intend to try and keep it going as long as I can, nothing, to me, sounds quite as good. I use it as a Transport only.

Cheers,

Jim.

Mikeandvan
19-09-2017, 23:28
Lovely players the Pioneers from this era and just before. Enjoy.

Just a word of warning, it uses the PEA1030 Laser which had a habit of having its Lens drop off. I suspect though if it's lasted this long it would have done so by now.
The Lasers are no longer available from Pioneer though and have become really expensive from everywhere else............

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpioneer+p ea1030.TRS0&_nkw=pioneer+pea1030&_sacat=0

I'm in a similar 'boat' with my PD-73 though I do have a spare (or two !) as I intend to try and keep it going as long as I can, nothing, to me, sounds quite as good. I use it as a Transport only.

Cheers,

Jim.

Ooh, the PD-73, mines not in the 'wooden cheeks' league! It was only £60 off the bay, it seems the vintage Sony cdps go for bigger money, not so many people are aware of all these other brands I guess, or it just takes too much time searching. I'm not too knowledgeable myself, just starting to get into digital upgrading. But there has to be a lot of bargains out there from lesser searched for brands.

sumday
20-09-2017, 19:58
most remotes are pretty easy to clean.
simply split open the case and separate the rubber membrane fron the partnering board.
the membrane can be cleaned...both sides...with hot soapy water and a toothbrush. this will remove finger oil and spilt liquid etc.

the board which connects to the membrane can be cleaned with a quick wipeover using a electrical solvent.

simply wait till both parts are fully dry then reassemble.

NIGE.