PDA

View Full Version : Okki Nokki Problem

cuddles
18-09-2017, 10:15
After 3 years of sterling work when I must have cleaned around 1000 LPs my Okki Nokki has thrown a wobbly. I've been used to it cutting out when the fluid tank needs emptying so I initially thought that was the problem. After emptying and swilling it out with clean water I switched on the platter but it cut out almost immediately. I tried the vacuum and the same thing happened. Evidently something keeps cutting out.
I bought the machine over 3 years ago and has been brilliant from the start - I wouldn't be without it. I've got loads more records to clean as well as all the new ones that keep appearing. When you see the crap that comes off them you just wouldn't put your stylus on an uncleaned record again.
There must be an easy fix for this but where to start :scratch: I don't want to open it up without a bit of guidance. Any ideas?

struth
18-09-2017, 10:17
cutout switch sensor perhaps?

cuddles
18-09-2017, 13:04
cutout switch sensor perhaps?

Got to be really. I've just come across this - https://www.dhtrob.com/overige/okkinokki_repair.php. It sounds exactly like my problem. I'll think I'll give it a go :rolleyes:

Audio Al
18-09-2017, 13:12
When I had my O N machine I drained it after every 20 LP's not nice having electrics and fluid in contact

mikeyb
18-09-2017, 13:12
The manual does recommend you empty it after just a few LPs (20-30) so as not to have spillage inside and damage the electrics, fingers crossed it's not permanent.

cuddles
18-09-2017, 14:44
Result! :cool:

I've just spent the last hour following the instructions on that link I found. The base is a real tight fit and I was concerned that I might damage it with the force needed to get it off. I discovered that the reservoir was loose in one corner - in fact as I unscrewed the the foot under the reservoir a little pile of rust appeared. The sensor was clogged with disgusting gunk much worse than the one in the link so a quick squirt with warm water from an empty washing up bottle and a thorough clean up and it was fingers crossed.

I thought I was pretty good at keeping the Okki Nokki in good order but this has made me realise that I should rinse out the reservoir much more often.
Now to carry on cleaning. I can only do 1 hour max but it's got to be done - I'm up to S on the LPs. I hope to have finished all my records by this time next year and then it will just be new records that will take up cleaning time. ;)

Cas
18-09-2017, 15:56
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the repair link :)

Audio Al
18-09-2017, 16:10
My current cleaner stores used cleaning fluid outside the machine in a glass jar ;)

struth
18-09-2017, 16:25
Result! :cool:

I've just spent the last hour following the instructions on that link I found. The base is a real tight fit and I was concerned that I might damage it with the force needed to get it off. I discovered that the reservoir was loose in one corner - in fact as I unscrewed the the foot under the reservoir a little pile of rust appeared. The sensor was clogged with disgusting gunk much worse than the one in the link so a quick squirt with warm water from an empty washing up bottle and a thorough clean up and it was fingers crossed.

I thought I was pretty good at keeping the Okki Nokki in good order but this has made me realise that I should rinse out the reservoir much more often.
Now to carry on cleaning. I can only do 1 hour max but it's got to be done - I'm up to S on the LPs. I hope to have finished all my records by this time next year and then it will just be new records that will take up cleaning time. ;)

Good news. I did hear their fluid left a gunky mess inside. Dunno if you use it.

cuddles
18-09-2017, 16:26
My current cleaner stores used cleaning fluid outside the machine ib a glass jar ;)

That's a practical idea and makes life much easier. The Okki Nokki looks neat with all the gubbins contained within its footprint. I just hope I don't need to open it up again!