PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Narrow footprint CD transport (or player with SPDIF out)

montesquieu
14-09-2017, 21:36
Looking for a cheap transport for the study - needs to be small/narrow footprint ... either a dedicated transport or a CDP with SPDIF out, to work with an external DAC. Can live with optical at a push. £200 max, half that preferred - what's out there?

Edward
14-09-2017, 21:53
Tom, assuming the study has a computer perhaps the computer has an SPDIF or optical port? If so use the CD drive as the transport. Simples! :)

montesquieu
14-09-2017, 22:00
Tom, assuming the study has a computer perhaps the computer has an SPDIF or optical port? If so use the CD drive as the transport. Simples! :)

I removed the CD/DVD drive on my Macbook to fit a SSD drive. Though I do use it with an Arcam rblink to play radio and podcasts. (the amp and speakers are too far away really for a USB cable).

I'm old-fashioned though and like putting CDs on!

loosend
14-09-2017, 22:04
Tom, the Teac reference 300 is a great budget player, only optical but u should find black, gold or silver on eBay. There's also a reference 500 series which is better.

Edward
14-09-2017, 22:07
Ah right - yes switching the optical drive for a SSD is a great trick.

Does the Macbook have a SPDIF or optical port? If so consider getting an external USB optical drive? Lots of neat looking small footprint ones for 20 quid or so.

But maybe just easier getting a CDP with SPDIF out.