PDA

View Full Version : Help Help Help etc

Audio Al
14-09-2017, 11:56
First time in this part of the forum , Hello Digital people

YES it me Analogue Al :lol:

I have a Imac and have just signed up to Amazon Prime , that gives me access to 1 million tunes :)

I have also purchased a John Kenny Ciúnas DAC

I have found my midi interface on my Mac now what do I do , I have the correct cables in place to join it all up but no sound from my hifi using the aux terminals :scratch:

Help Help Help etc :)

Macca
14-09-2017, 12:28
The battery in the DAC is charged up I take it?

Audio Al
14-09-2017, 12:43
Yes it on charge ( Blue light showing ) :)

Macca
14-09-2017, 13:28
Test it by hooking up a cd player as a transport. Still no sound, finger points at DAC.

Stratmangler
14-09-2017, 13:38
What are you doing pissing about with MIDI interfaces?

Stratmangler
14-09-2017, 13:41
How old is the iMac?
It might have Toslink optical out of the headphone jack if it's one of the older ones.

struth
14-09-2017, 13:43
try a mini toslink to toslink from mac(think the 3.5mm socket is also a toslink) and bypass the bit inbetween..OR It might be a interface problem. IE if I set my dac to anything bar 16/48 then spotify or amazon wont play so check the dac is set to 16bit/48khz

Audio Al
14-09-2017, 15:44
Its a late 2013 model purchased in 2015 as there were no updates

Stratmangler
14-09-2017, 15:51
Which means that it's likely to have Toslink on board.
All you have to do is find out where to turn it on, and connect a Toslink (with appropriate adapter) between the iMac and DAC.

Audio Al
14-09-2017, 15:56
It has these connections :-

3.5mm headphone jack

SDXC card slot

Four USB 3 ports (compatible with USB 2)

Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) ports with support for:

DisplayPort
Thunderbolt (up to 40 Gbps)
USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)
Thunderbolt 2, HDMI, DVI and VGA supported using adapters (sold separately)
10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

Kensington lock slot

Audio Al
14-09-2017, 16:02
I purchased one of these cables USB 2.0 A-Male to B-Male Cable , It fits between the dac and computer

I only get sound out of the computer internal speakers :scratch:

struth
14-09-2017, 16:08
Connect one end of a TOSLINK optical cable to the headphone port on your Mac, and connect the other end to your audio device, such as an AV receiver.
Open Audio MIDI Setup, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
Select your audio device from the list on the left side of the Audio Devices window.
If necessary, choose “Use this device for sound output” from the Action pop-up menu .
Select a sample rate, such as 176400.0 Hz or 192000.0 Hz, from the Format pop-up menu.

If the audio hardware in your Mac doesn't support high sample rate audio, you can use a third-party digital audio interface.

Audio Al
14-09-2017, 16:17
Are any of these toslink ?

SDXC card slot

Four USB 3 ports (compatible with USB 2)

Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) ports with support for:

DisplayPort
Thunderbolt (up to 40 Gbps)
USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)
Thunderbolt 2, HDMI, DVI and VGA supported using adapters (sold separately)
10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

Kensington lock slot

Stratmangler
14-09-2017, 16:19
Headphone Output!

jollyfix
14-09-2017, 16:20
Headphone socket Al

Stratmangler
The headphone output doubles as a Toslink out.

jollyfix
OOPS too slow Chris way ahead of me.

Audio Al
14-09-2017, 16:21
A heahphone output is a toslink ? as said I am thick with these thinks :)

I can clean fluff from a stylus ;)

Audio Al
14-09-2017, 16:22
I need to buy another cable then ?

Stratmangler
14-09-2017, 16:24
I need to buy another cable then ?

Toslink cable with Mac adapter
Summat like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-TosLink-Optical-Suitable-MacBook/dp/B004IUJPP4

Audio Al
14-09-2017, 16:32
Toslink cable with Mac adapter
Summat like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-TosLink-Optical-Suitable-MacBook/dp/B004IUJPP4

Any idea what adaptor ?

Audio Al
14-09-2017, 16:32
Work time now until tomorrow :(

Macca
14-09-2017, 16:50
I can clean fluff from a stylus ;)

I believe it when I see it

Stratmangler
14-09-2017, 16:50
Any idea what adaptor ?

The adapter is already incorporated in the one I linked to.

kenworthy100
14-09-2017, 17:06
i may be wrong but aren't jk ciunas usb only?

Stratmangler
14-09-2017, 17:36
i may be wrong but aren't jk ciunas usb only?

That'll teach me to pay proper attention :doh:
You're on your own, Al.

mikmas
14-09-2017, 17:49
Any idea what adaptor ?

No need buy buy anything if you are already connected by USB to your DAC.
Just go to 'System Preferences' in the Apple menu (top left) and click on 'Sound' - then check the output is set to USB.

If you want get all fancy you can set the output bitrate in 'Audio Midi' set up (in the 'Utilities' folder under Applications)

If your DAC is up to it you will get a better result with USB than using the toslink output in my experience - I never go near it now.

r100
14-09-2017, 17:53
If it is a USB DAC it should work fine with a USB cable.. :scratch: and it should show up under the little loudspeaker in the top Finder bar. No need for the Midi settings. It should just work. Btw. I don't see a optical out on this DAC.

All the best

https://sites.google.com/site/jkciunas/ciunas-dac

edit.. from the manual
Try a 5V PS to charge it instead of USB hub & see how that goes before trying to figure out how to adjust the USB port behaviour on a Mac.

mikmas
14-09-2017, 18:14
... it should show up under the little loudspeaker in the top Finder bar.

Indeed ... I always forget that (have mine switched off)

Audio Al
15-09-2017, 09:34
Headphone Output!

It has a 3.5mm jack , I thought headphones were not digital :scratch: and the headphones are analogue ?

Audio Al
15-09-2017, 09:38
it should show up under the little loudspeaker in the top Finder bar.

All that shows up under my one is a volume slider

struth
15-09-2017, 09:41
It has a 3.5mm jack , I thought headphones were not digital :scratch: and the headphones are analogue ?

that socket on macs and other units is a toslink as well as a headphone. You dont have tos on the dac so just plug a usb cable into it. dont know what type it is though. there are a few.

walpurgis
15-09-2017, 09:42

Correct. There are no digital headphones. (or speakers, yet, as far as I'm aware)

struth
15-09-2017, 09:49
well the actual drivers have to be, but Sony do make a set that have a built in dac so guess they could be called digital

r100
15-09-2017, 09:52
from the manual... are you using the USB charger cable ? This may not work for audio if you are ... if not maybe use a different USB cable. Some USB cables don't have the data wires in them (the thin ones usually) ... just an idea :) good luck !

Normal Operation:

The Ciúnas DAC is powered from its internal Lithium Nano Ferrous Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery. It needs a 5V supply through it’s charging socket at all times except when put into storage.
A USB charger cable is supplied with the DAC. This allows a spare USB port to be used for powering the battery charger (ensure the USB port power doesn’t turn off when there’s no data activity). Please read the notes about charging below.
Battery charging commences when you provide 5V power to 2.1mm DC socket on the DAC. There is no switch to control charging & no need to turn off charging - it trickle charges the battery.
Recharging of depleted battery takes overnight from USB power
Fully charged battery will run for about 8 hours powering the device standalone.
The specification for an external PS is 5V with >300mA current output, 2.1mm plug, center pin positive

Stratmangler
15-09-2017, 09:56

There's a LED in the bottom of the socket.
Forget about it.

walpurgis
15-09-2017, 10:11
The headhone socket in my Sharp personal MD recorder/player has a headphone socket that doubles as an optical output, using an LED as Chris mentions.

Audio Al
15-09-2017, 10:13
from the manual... are you using the USB charger cable ? This may not work for audio if you are ... if not maybe use a different USB cable. Some USB cables don't have the data wires in them (the thin ones usually) ... just an idea :) good luck !

Normal Operation:

The Ciúnas DAC is powered from its internal Lithium Nano Ferrous Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery. It needs a 5V supply through it’s charging socket at all times except when put into storage.
A USB charger cable is supplied with the DAC. This allows a spare USB port to be used for powering the battery charger (ensure the USB port power doesn’t turn off when there’s no data activity). Please read the notes about charging below.
Battery charging commences when you provide 5V power to 2.1mm DC socket on the DAC. There is no switch to control charging & no need to turn off charging - it trickle charges the battery.
Recharging of depleted battery takes overnight from USB power
Fully charged battery will run for about 8 hours powering the device standalone.
The specification for an external PS is 5V with >300mA current output, 2.1mm plug, center pin positive

Yes I am using the supplied usb charger cable that has been plugged in for over 50 hours now and it stays alive when I turn my mac off ( blue light stays on on the dac ) It should provide enough power , The other chargers is " Optional " I see that comment as you dont really need it unless you need the usb for something else then you can charge the dac from the mains

struth
15-09-2017, 10:23
might just have to select the usb dac as audio out Al. probably thats the problem. If thats selected and youve tried another usb cable then it may be faulty.

r100
15-09-2017, 10:48
the charging is separate from audio.. just to be sure you need a USB cable like this one. Connect it to the DAC and to the Mac USB port

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/1440452130000_1042566.jpg

then, if the DAC is powered-up (and you are running Mac OS 10.6 or later, you should see something like this in the Finder bar (note: alt-click the speaker icon on older systems)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bxxhh30lpngzzi/Screen%20Shot%202017-09-15%20at%2012.39.38.png?raw=1

You select "USB DAC" or whatever is closest to describing your DAC. Then you can use Audio Midi setup to set the 172kHz prescribed by the DAC manufacturer.. all the Best !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fxi5aumcmyo7hq/Screen%20Shot%202017-09-15%20at%2012.40.00.png?raw=1

Audio Al
15-09-2017, 11:16
I purchased one of these cables from Amazon , AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to B-Male Cable
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Male-B-Male-Cable-Feet/dp/B00BCWALHM/

struth
15-09-2017, 11:46
Should work fine with that

r100
15-09-2017, 14:32
hmmm.. 16 feet is very long... In the DAC manual it states to use very short lengths... could that be the problem ? If you have a printer connected via USB, chances are, you may already have a shorter version of this type of cable...

Recommendations:

The recommended connection to USB for best sound is with a direct USB connector i.e no USB cable or very short USB cable. You will find these connectors, in the UKhere (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Retractable-USB-Firewire-1394-Travel/dp/B003KVVTF6/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1353176392&sr=8-31) & in the UShere (http://www.amazon.com/HDE%C2%AE-USB-Type-Male-Adapter/dp/B002B9AR8I). You may prefer a swivel type adapter for better ergonomics but these have not been tested for sonics yet. You will also need a commonly found USB A male to A female adapter which will give some more distance between the PC & DAC32 for interconnect cable connection & also to make the DAC32 orientate the right way up, otherwise it would be upside down.
Kernel Streaming (KS) seems to handle computer memory better than Wasapi?

struth
15-09-2017, 15:14
Should still work without a repeater. I use a 10 metre one and its ok

r100
15-09-2017, 15:33
Should still work without a repeater. I use a 10 metre one and its ok

agreed, but the DAC seems to have some sensitive clocks inside that (maybe) don't like long runs ... I'm only stating the manufacturers requirements and could be way off.

jkeny
16-09-2017, 23:20
OK, hope I can help? :)
I believe your problem might be that you are leaving the DAC turned on while charging (blue light is on, you say) - this is not actually letting the batteries reach their full charge
Turn it off while charging overnight & see if all is good tomorrow?

You should really read the user guide - all the info needed is there, I hope?

Audio Al
17-09-2017, 01:36
OK, hope I can help? :)
I believe your problem might be that you are leaving the DAC turned on while charging (blue light is on, you say) - this is not actually letting the batteries reach their full charge
Turn it off while charging overnight & see if all is good tomorrow?

You should really read the user guide - all the info needed is there, I hope?

Mmm ? , The blue light on my unit does not go off , Its either bright blue or dull blue , It only goes off if I unplug it

I will try it with a windows laptop today some time and see what happens

jkeny
17-09-2017, 02:03
Mmm ? , The blue light on my unit does not go off , Its either bright blue or dull blue , It only goes off if I unplug it

I will try it with a windows laptop today some time and see what happens

You have a Ciunas DAC with silver push button switch which lights blue when pushed in, right? Is it pushed in our out?

You are charging from a USB port, right?

If the above is correct & the blue LED is shining when charger is plugged in, then there is a problem with the unit. One way of testing is to open the case & measure the battery voltage.

Audio Al
17-09-2017, 02:10
You have a Ciunas DAC with silver push button switch which lights blue when pushed in, right? YES Is it pushed in our out? out I get a bright blue light , In i get a dull blue light

You are charging from a USB port, right? YES

If the above is correct & the blue LED is shining when charger is plugged in, then there is a problem with the unit. One way of testing is to open the case & measure the battery voltage. Not keen on opening , may need to send it back then

jkeny
17-09-2017, 02:15
Ok, I believe it is faulty, then.

Audio Al
17-09-2017, 02:17
Ok, I believe it is faulty, then.

OK John , PM sent

Audio Al
24-09-2017, 19:03
Update

The dac was faulty and has been returned and a full refund give .

jkeny
24-09-2017, 19:52
Update

The dac was faulty and has been returned and a full refund give .

Actually, I'm not so sure it was faulty after talking to the owner - it may have been a combination of depleted battery charge (as evidenced by the blue led behaviour) & the firmware being erased by allowing the battery to deplete? Will soon know if this is the case.

Audio Al
24-09-2017, 19:54
OK will look forward to the update , Do you have the dac now ?

jkeny
24-09-2017, 20:29
OK will look forward to the update , Do you have the dac now ?

No, I don't have it, it's still with the owner - I'll try to remotely diagnose & get it working.

r100
25-09-2017, 07:31
@John .. I'm still wondering if it could have been the long USB cable Al is using ? Could that be an issue with timing ?

jkeny
25-09-2017, 09:22
@John .. I'm still wondering if it could have been the long USB cable Al is using ? Could that be an issue with timing ?

I won't know until I get more info from the owner as to the state of affairs now!

Audio Al
25-09-2017, 10:02
I dont have a problem with this and I am not accusing anyone of dodgy dealing , I just wanted this dac to work , I tried wvwyones suggestions , Nope none worked , I contacted the seller who assured me it was working prior to sending it .

As I could not get it working I posted it back to the seller for him to test ( I also managed to try it on a windows laptop no joy )

This is the sellers reply after testing the unit

"Hi Allen,

You're correct and I am wrong. I'm not sure what has happened here, I assure you it was working perfectly. It isn't anymore though that's for sure. Please let me have your details and I will refund you the money. "

As said I dont have any problems , Just need to start again on the I need a Dac

Allen

struth
25-09-2017, 10:11
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XiangSheng-USB-Decoders-Headphone-PreAmplifier-DAC-01A-DAC-Tube-24Bit-192Khz-EU/182610622454?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

these are super and quite cheap. plenty different sellers if you need a black one

r100
25-09-2017, 11:57
oki, thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to know out of curiosity. Hope all works out to the satisfaction of all involved. All the best.

jkeny
05-10-2017, 17:54
Haven't heard anything further from the owner so I can't report anything here.

I'm busy anyway with RMAF this weekend where an ISO-DAC can be heard in room 2014, Tower 2 innovation area - the AudioKinesis speaker room. Drop in & have a listen - it will be interesting

SteveW
30-10-2017, 19:19
Just my twopenny worth... and apologies if I am completely wrong.
However i have been running a Mac mini with Audirvana on it into a valve DAC (built by Duncan/tubehunter as it happens).
Anyway the machine asked me if I wanted to upgrade the operating system, which I naively did.
Up to that point the DAC had played brilliantly through the optical out.
Following the ‘upgade’ The optical out was no longer recognised. Seems to be something to do with the way that the latest macs work... apparently.
Anyway because I bought the Mac mini second hand I can’t revert back to the older operating system.
I gave up in the end. Sad really as it sounded excellent.
Have no idea if you are facing the same issues Al, but thought it worth sharing the experience
Cheers Steve

jkeny
30-10-2017, 19:28
Haven't heard back from Alex since the beginning of Oct when I diagnosed that the problem is probably that the DAC's firmware needs to be reset once the battery is allowed to fully deplete.
I gave him the instructions on how to do this.

Audio Al
31-10-2017, 10:27
Just my twopenny worth... and apologies if I am completely wrong.
However i have been running a Mac mini with Audirvana on it into a valve DAC (built by Duncan/tubehunter as it happens).
Anyway the machine asked me if I wanted to upgrade the operating system, which I naively did.
Up to that point the DAC had played brilliantly through the optical out.
Following the ‘upgade’ The optical out was no longer recognised. Seems to be something to do with the way that the latest macs work... apparently.
Anyway because I bought the Mac mini second hand I can’t revert back to the older operating system.
I gave up in the end. Sad really as it sounded excellent.
Have no idea if you are facing the same issues Al, but thought it worth sharing the experience
Cheers Steve

I ended up with a Dac 3 used from Jerry , plugged it in and it worked first time ,

jkeny
08-03-2018, 19:03
Just to update this thread - AlCarmichael is sending me the Ciunas DAC to update the firmware or diagnose the problem.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I've organised a tour of the ISO-DAC & ISO-PS on PFM but don't know if I'm allowed to start a thread on that?

Audio Al
09-03-2018, 05:20
Just to update this thread - AlCarmichael is sending me the Ciunas DAC to update the firmware or diagnose the problem.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I've organised a tour of the ISO-DAC & ISO-PS on PFM but don't know if I'm allowed to start a thread on that?

Just add a link please , intrested to know

jkeny
09-03-2018, 09:57
Just add a link please , intrested to know

Sorry, yes http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/dac-tour.212818/#post-3331145

Just to whet people's interest, TNT Audio review published http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/ciunas_isodac_e.html