PDA

View Full Version : Felt turntable mat

magiccarpetride
13-09-2017, 21:27
I was in a hi fi store yesterday, went in to buy Audioquest anti-static record brush (http://www.audioquest.com/audio-enhancements/anti-static-record-brush). Afterwards chatting with the nice sales guy, we somehow touched on turntable mats, and whether I should consider using them or not. So the guy just turned around, pointed me at the row of turntables installed on the other side, and said: "Here, pick one mat, any one you fancy, take it home and see for yourself. I'll be curious to hear back from you how's your impressions."

Nice generous gesture, so I took one felt mat (the thinnest I could find), went home and tested it on my turntable. Indeed, it makes a difference in the sound. With the mat on the platter, I'm hearing a bit more of the finest details, some of the little phrases that quiet instruments may be playing in the background. That's on the up side. On the down side, the intense fiery sound I'm getting without the mat is somewhat tamed and attenuated with the mat on the platter.

My layman's take is that it's basically all down to changes in VTA effected by the thickness of the mat. But as of right now, I'm torn whether I should keep the more resolving mat, or forget it and go back to my more energetic, less resolving bare bones sound.

walpurgis
13-09-2017, 21:31
If you correct VTA to compensate for the mat thickness, the sound may well change again.

bobreel
13-09-2017, 22:12
Felt mat eh. FWIW, in 1983 I was in the market for a new turntable. Heybrook TT2 and Ariston RD80SL were the two in my price range. Both came with Linn LV-V arm and the Linn basic MM cartridge. Playing through speakers I couldn't really detect a difference between the two. Listening over headphones, the Heybrook had a slightly harder sound compared to the Ariston. But swapping the Ariston's rubber mat for the Heybrooks felt mat, and the sound characteristics followed the respective mats. Now the Heybrook souned like the Ariston and vice versa!

brian2957
14-09-2017, 07:18
Funnily me and one my friends were playing around with mate a couple of weeks ago and we came to exactly the same conclusion . Both of us weren't keen on the felt mat . We had a few mats to hand ( mostly cork and rubber ) and ultimately an acrilyc mat came out on top .

Wakefield Turntables
14-09-2017, 07:24
I've messed with more mats than I care to mention. Funnily enough I have a glass mat, a trio of mats, and a gunshot metal mat living on my various decks. Talk about a mixture!

Ammonite Audio
14-09-2017, 08:36
It's all a question of design aims. If a turntable designer wants to ensure that unwanted energy from the stylus is transmitted down through the record and into the platter/chassis, then a mat that provides effective acoustic coupling will do the job, eg something like a gunmetal mat, assuming that we are talking about a deck with a metal platter that has similar characteristic acoustic impedance to the metal mat - I'm sure a gunmetal mat would be a poor match for an acrylic platter. Similarly, if the intent is to absorb as much energy as possible, then a rubber mat will do that (albeit IME at a cost in terms of 'life' to the overall sound). If the designer intended the record to be largely decoupled from the platter, then felt is a good and inexpensive option. All approaches are valid in their own way, and none are right or wrong - as always YMMV because there is so much variation between turntable designs and audiophiles will chop and change tonearms too. Apart from all that, some cartridges will put far more energy into the record than others (think high compliance V15s etc compared to Deccas), so another huge variable factor. Using platter weights or record clamps too.

The only way to work out what is best for a particular deck combination is to try it, and if you like one mat, then use it. Starting with the manufacturer's original specification is always a good thing, though. For what it's worth, the one type of mat that has always performed well for me is the Funk Achromat, stuck to the platter with a thin smear of Vaseline.

killie99
14-09-2017, 08:45
For what it's worth, the one type of mat that has always performed well for me is the Funk Achromat, stuck to the platter with a thin smear of Vaseline.

I use an Achromat and it annoys me how it gets stuck to the record sometimes with static - I think you have just given me the solution to the problem Hugo!

karma67
14-09-2017, 09:14
I don't use a mat on my tt :)

DSJR
14-09-2017, 09:16
Lenco's seem to prefer the original ribbed mat (GL75 or 78) to pretty well anything else in my now old experiences.

As for felt, it may suit some decks, but I'm not a huge fan. Colloms years ago did tests on mats on different decks and I seem to remember he came to the conclusion that different decks need the different frequency damping of particular mat materials.

If anyone gives a shit, a couple of experiences here years ago - A pre-Cirkus LP12 sounded better to me at the time with either an NAS Spacemat (still a favourite although it's now twenty quid or so) or the far more expensive Ring Mat over the thin felt mat supplied (this MUST be replaced if it shows any sign of shrinkage or becoming 'woolly' as they usually do). A POST-Cirkus deck was rather different I remember, the stock felt mat working just fine with it. I use cork mats here a lot 'cos they're dirt cheap - the Oscar's one is fine to try imo - and these seem to like some idler models including my old Duals - my 1019 currently has an old oracle mat plonked on the stock mat that I found lurking about and it loves it!. The better Duals are fine with a 1.5mm thick cork mat and the two cheaper ones like the thicker 3mm type as they get the arm more level with single records (not really relevant here, but I include it anyway). My Dual 701 has a Spacemat on top of the stock mat with a little spacer around the spindle to stop it and the record sagging in the middle. VTA is changed a little but it matters not with the cartridges I use as I can tune it out with tracking force... Sounds slightly better to me this way anyway.

Haselsh1
14-09-2017, 10:04
Back around 1984 I owned a Logic DM101 which had a rather huge aluminium platter which would ring like a bell if struck. With a felt mat the sound was really good but without it the sound was hard and forceful. Coming more up to date, I now have a Nottingham Analogue Interspace, an early one with the MDF platter on which I have been using an Achromat. There is a huge difference with and without. Better or worse ? Well, I prefer it with but I am currently trying it without.

Cas
15-09-2017, 13:41
If you correct VTA to compensate for the mat thickness, the sound may well change again.

Yup add a mat, any mat and you immediately alter the VTA.

Barry
15-09-2017, 15:55
I've tried: [1] no mat (i.e. the bare rubber mat that came with the TT), [2] an additional thin felt mat, and [3] a ~3mm thick cork mat. VTA was adjusted in each case. Can't say I noticed any real difference, so have reverted to the manufacturer's rubber mat, now used with a Mitchell record clamp.

Although I would perhaps like to try a thin leather mat, I'm largely finished with messing about with them.

Haselsh1
16-09-2017, 06:59
OK, regarding the Achromat on the old Interspace, I sat down to listen to Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon yesterday and realised three quarters of the way through that I had probably never heard it sound so bad. Very little low bass,
closed in stereo image with no real central focus. Everything was quite toppy and thin sounding. Enough was enough. Out with the Achromat, resetting of the VTA and listen...! Jesus what a difference. Hugely wide stereo image with incredible depth.
Really low bass on On The Run and a much richer midrange with far better resolution of low level detail. So, how bad is the stock Interspace...? Well mine is pretty bad and to my ears, this proves it.

hifi_dave
16-09-2017, 09:01
All the Notts turntables were/are designed to be used without any mat.

DSJR
17-09-2017, 12:43
The Interspace uses an MDF platter? If so, no mat at all should be just fine but if you must, a 1.5mm cork may be ok sonically here.

I've chatted privately to hifi Dave about mats on NAS decks and we do possibly agree to differ on the Spacedeck only, as I personally preferred the slight 'dampening' effect of the Spacemat *on this particular model.* The bigger decks with graphite platters (including the 'Heavy Kit' I think) will be sonically killed with a mat of ANY kind added, so good is the platter material at 'terminating' a vinyl record placed on it.

I think you can 'tune' a vinyl player 'system' in various ways. You either tune it for a nice sound to 'suit your ears' and hang the absolute standard of truth to the original source, you do as I do with the stuff I have here and try to make the best of a rather compromised lot (loads of cheap fun in this for me if nobody else), or you go all out for the most truthful and 'accurate to the mastering session' reproduction that you can, using the best digital sources and as wide a range of recordings as possible as a reference. This last approach has pitfalls though as it's all too easy to tip the reproduction into 'only' a cerebral experience, the emotions being left behind along the way (I'm thinking in the ancient past of say, a Thorens 125 or 160 with SME and V15 III, which in 1970's form *at the time* could sound hard, stark and uninvolving, where say, a Rega 3 of that period with R200 and a slightly later Shure 97HE made the music more interesting to listen to).

SteveG
17-09-2017, 14:07
Ive played with lots of different mats. The stand-out one on the decks I have tried is the Origin Live mat. I can't speak for other people's tastes and I imagine it will be somewhat dependent on the turntable, but I really rate this product.

Cas
17-09-2017, 19:41
Origin Live Mat, I suppose if your happy spending £39.95 on a thin sliver of cork dyed or sprayed black then
I really cannot say too much, other than you have been had ( snake oil ).

Gazjam
17-09-2017, 20:05
Turntable Mats?
Never catch on. :)

Tried a couple on my Deck, clamped directly onto the platter always sounded best to me.
Designed that way s'pose.

SteveG
17-09-2017, 20:57
Origin Live Mat, I suppose if your happy spending £39.95 on a thin sliver of cork dyed or sprayed black then
I really cannot say too much, other than you have been had ( snake oil ).

It's not cork for one thing. Secondly I've tried it against lots of other mats costing more and its outclassed every one. If better sound comes at £39 I'd hardly call that "being had".

Frankly, I can't stand people who go round assuming their ears and judgement are superior to someone else's. I'd not expected that from here.

walpurgis
17-09-2017, 21:02
Frankly, I can't stand people who go round assuming their ears and judgement are superior to someone else's. I'd not expected that from here.

Can't say I agree. My view is that people with a long and wide ranging experience of Hi-Fi may well be better able to judge when something sounds superior or worse.

To suggest otherwise seems to imply that experience is worthless and nobody develops discernment.

SteveG
17-09-2017, 21:16
Can't say I agree. My view is that people with a long and wide ranging experience of Hi-Fi may well be better able to judge when something sounds superior or worse.

To suggest otherwise seems to imply that experience is worthless and nobody develops discernment.

Yes but in this case I'm the one with the experience. I'm not even sure he's ever heard the mat. Anyone having handled it would know it wasn't made of cork. I made it clear that my experinece was only my own but it's my experience that's being denied with terms like "been had" and "snakeoil".

walpurgis
17-09-2017, 21:22
I'm not sure Chris was being serious. It might have helped if he'd put a 'smiley' in if he wasn't. Best left there and move 'eh.

Ammonite Audio
18-09-2017, 07:01
Yes but in this case I'm the one with the experience. I'm not even sure he's ever heard the mat. Anyone having handled it would know it wasn't made of cork. I made it clear that my experinece was only my own but it's my experience that's being denied with terms like "been had" and "snakeoil".

Indeed. I have one of these OL mats and it is most definitely not cork or any other 'me too' material. It does pong a bit, though.

Natara
30-09-2017, 10:29
I'd be interested if anyone has tried anything other than a thin felt matt on an LP12?

karma67
30-09-2017, 11:29
i tried the reso mat and the foam notts anolgue one which didn't fit inside the lp12's lip,i went back to the thicker linn felt mat in the end.
i still have them if you would like to try for yourself.