PDA

View Full Version : Timestep PSU + Jelco 750 + Squidgie Feet + Wall Shelf + WOW!!!!

twelvebears
06-02-2010, 11:35
Or more accurately = SOUNDSTAGE EXPLOSION!!

OK, well after the visit to Dave's on Thursday, I restrained myself from plugging in or listening to the supercharged Techie until it was properly installed on the new wall shelf (which was a bugger to do btw - mucho swearing) with sticky sorbothane feet and everything.

Have just thrown on the first side of Little Creatures by Talking Heads and OH MY GOD!!!

It's like I'm listening to a totally different system, let alone just a turntable. :lol:

The soundstage has double in size in all directions, the noise floor has dropped massively and it's so dynamic.

Not going to waffle any more now, I've got some serious disc-spinning to do!! :cool:

DSJR
06-02-2010, 11:38
He-He :lol

Well done!!! Just leave the deck running at 45 overnight to aid bedding in.... Or did I mis-read that as usual???????

chris@panteg
06-02-2010, 11:56
Hi Steve

Pleased for you ' did you have a new main bearing fitted also ? .

twelvebears
06-02-2010, 12:45
Hi Steve

Pleased for you ' did you have a new main bearing fitted also ? .

Hi Chris.

No not yet, funds couldn't stretch quite that far at the moment, probably in a month or too, and Dave showed me how easy it is to fit the Timestep one.

Guess I've still got that to look forward to!

chris@panteg
06-02-2010, 13:19
Oh my goodness me ' yes you have:)

You're going for the Timestep Bearing then , it improves the performance in a similar way to what you described with the psu and arm .

Steve you are going to find it hard to tear yourself away from your Techie;).

I am so itching to upgrade the arm ' its driving me :mental: , so sad really i know .

Hearing vinyl sound so good is so addictive and satisfying .

MartinT
22-02-2010, 13:26
Glad you're enjoying it. Like others here, I'm still at the 'surprised' stage sometimes when listening to my Techie. I just can't believe how good it sounds and I'm certainly mining the depths of my record collection again.

MartinT
22-02-2010, 13:29
I am so itching to upgrade the arm ' its driving me :mental:

Chris, the Jelco SA-250ST is the bargain of the century as far as arms go. If you can stretch to one, I can guarantee you'll love what it does for your 1210.

chris@panteg
22-02-2010, 23:40
Hi Martin

Yes i was going to order one from Dave ' but i have changed my mind , I'm getting more ambitious .

MartinT
23-02-2010, 07:12
I'm getting more ambitious

Dynavector? :)

jandl100
23-02-2010, 07:34
I'm just now joining the Techie Club. :)

I have to say, though, (with my white lab coat on :eyebrows:) that in the interests of scientific experimental rigour, you shouldn't really have put the tt on the new wallshelf straight away - it might have been more interesting to see what the Techie mods by themselves did .... I know that a wall shelf can have a substantial inprovement on its own, perhaps in the very same ways that you hear an improvement ... ? Also, it might have been interesting to do the squidgie feet thing separately, too - or were they part & parcel of Dave's mods?

... I'm obviously just curious here to separate out the mods in terms of cost effectiveness for very personal reasons! :lol:

MartinT
23-02-2010, 08:39
A wallshelf would make good isolation for the Techie. The standard feet are pretty useless but the sorbothane feet are an excellent first step for isolation. I find the Isonoe feet make the Techie pretty much impervious to any mechanical feedback or footfalls. Warning: the sorbothane feet give the Techie a slight bass heavy feel to the sound whereas the Isonoes make it sound a little lighter and more airy. Small differences, but they are there.

chris@panteg
23-02-2010, 11:38
Dynavector? :)

LOL not that ambitious ' martin old chap :) if you don't mind me asking how much are you paying for it , as i have just seen a price of £3,375 :eek: from HiFi Gear

MartinT
23-02-2010, 12:02
Less than that, Chris, but I have to keep the price and importer confidential as I made a promise.

chris@panteg
23-02-2010, 12:37
Mum's the word ' nice one Martin