PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy Devon to Cheviot upgrade

Papa Dee
11-09-2017, 20:35
Hi all....when I first joined AoS I was in the process of searching for a way to upgrade my Tannoy Devons to Cheviot cabinets .I initially considered having custom cabinets made but whilst these may have given me the optimum performance from the 12'' Hpd units the cost was way too much for me.
Fleabay has its moments because I managed to get a pair of Mk1 Cheviot cabinets for next to nothing.
They just needed some tlc which I lavished in abundance.One of the units is now up and running.....pics to follow

walpurgis
11-09-2017, 20:43
Should be interesting. The Devon is compromised in the bass and the Cheviot boxes will be much better. Keep us posted.

Papa Dee
19-09-2017, 02:01
Hi all....when I first joined AoS I was in the process of searching for a way to upgrade my Tannoy Devons to Cheviot cabinets .I initially considered having custom cabinets made but whilst these may have given me the optimum performance from the 12'' Hpd units the cost was way too much for me.
Fleabay has its moments because I managed to get a pair of Mk1 Cheviot cabinets for next to nothing.
They just needed some tlc which I lavished in abundance.One of the units is now up and running.....pics to follow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Papa Dee
19-09-2017, 02:16
The top of the first cabinet had water damage and the veneer had bubbled badly and the cover was beyond saving?.....

I had a friend reveneer the top of the cabinet and gave the remainder of the unit a good rubdown with methylated spirit and wire wool... finished off with several coats of danish oil......The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that I mixed up the speaker covers and recovered the old Devon covers by accident.Another supply of speaker cloth and all is now correct... one down ...one to go

Papa Dee
19-09-2017, 02:27
I had a friend reveneer the top of the cabinet and gave the remainder of the unit a good rubdown with methylated spirit and wire wool... finished off with several coats of danish oil......The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that I mixed up the speaker covers and recovered the old Devon covers by accident.Another supply of speaker cloth and all is now correct... one down ...one to go

cuddles
19-09-2017, 19:07
Very nice job! I notice that you haven't used the badges. Do you still have them because I'm looking for a pair for mine?

farflungstar
19-09-2017, 19:56
Wow.

Papa Dee
19-09-2017, 20:25
Very nice job! I notice that you haven't used the badges. Do you still have them because I'm looking for a pair for mine?

Hi Simon,the picture shows the Devon covers repaired by mistake... here are the correct Cheviot covers... with the badges.. No spare badges .. sorry.21439

walpurgis
19-09-2017, 20:41
So how are they sounding now?

Papa Dee
19-09-2017, 21:08
Hi Geoff... the transformation is better than I could have hoped for.....right now only one Cheviot cabinet is complete... so I've currently got one Devon and one Cheviot hooked up .When I picked up the cabinets they
had no plinths ,and in the interests of fettling ...I made up new 9cm plinths to improve the height of the speaker in relation to my listening position.Being able to make direct comparisons between old and new cabinets is a bonus....the bass is deeper ,more defined ,on vocals Aaron Neville and Aretha have never sounded so mellow .Even at low volume the improvement is audible whilst when I turn the wick up on the old Yammie....it becomes a thing of beauty and a joy to behold.Will give a proper audition when the other cabinet is returned...Dee

cuddles
20-09-2017, 17:47
Well they look even better with the badges :). I'm glad you like the improvements - I'm a happy bunny with mine and doubt I'll ever change them.