PDA

View Full Version : Swap it all around?

Lerxst
11-09-2017, 00:32
Hi all.

I have a semi-datached house and I don't want to upset the neighbours too much.

My sitting position is against the shared wall and the speakers are pointing towards the same wall. The speakers have one rear port.

Behind the speakers is a garage. If I play music at about 70dB I can barely hear it in the quiet garage. However, the speakers are pointing the opposite way, away from the garage.

To save me a days work, do you think the neighbours will be hearing more on their side (where the speakers are pointing?) or will the room be rattling the sound around too much to bother swapping the entire room around?

I do get slight dB changes at low frequencies when walking around the room - especially in one corner but I can't do much about that - house is rented.

Do you think the speaker direction makes much difference?

I don't like my neighbours enough to go and actually ask them - in fact they are horrible.

Thanks

Chris

Audio Al
11-09-2017, 02:12
I don't like my neighbours enough to go and actually ask them - in fact they are horrible.

Why worry then , just be conciderate with listening times and relevent volume levels ;)

Macca
11-09-2017, 07:28
It might make a small difference, but it is mainly low bass that travels through walls and that tends to be omnidirectional. If they are not complaining then I wouldn't worry about it.

Lerxst
11-09-2017, 10:04
Cheers both. Good to have a second (or third) opinion.

For me, this thread is answered now.

Yomanze
11-09-2017, 12:25
It might make a small difference, but it is mainly low bass that travels through walls and that tends to be omnidirectional. If they are not complaining then I wouldn't worry about it.

Yep, my neighbours only hear bass... I can crank up non-bassy music & they don't hear a thing, but get a bit of reggae or drum 'n bass on, well... :P

If you wanted to really make a difference, you should decouple your speakers from the floor i.e. don't use spikes.

Michael loves music
11-09-2017, 13:41
My neighbour banged on my door at 3am this morning !! Good job I was still up playing my drums