PDA

View Full Version : Quick CD Player Question

southall-1998
08-09-2017, 16:46
My Exposure X is designed to be left switched on, at all times. (a la Naim)

The CD Player is a Rega Apollo-R. With the Exposure, should I also leave the Rega on, at all times?

Cheers.

S.

Stratmangler
08-09-2017, 17:17

The CD Player is a Rega Apollo-R. With the Exposure, should I also leave the Rega on, at all times?

Cheers.

S.

Is there an easily accessible on/off switch on the machine?
That alone should answer your question.

Macca
08-09-2017, 17:37
I'm in the switch off camp. I used to be in the other camp and I have a dead Sony CD player and a noisy Linn power amp to show for it.

As if a CD player takes hours to warm up, and that during this process it is going to audibly worsen the sound in any way. It's nonsense if you think about it.

Barry
08-09-2017, 17:45
My Revox CDP is intended to be left on (the on/off switch is at the rear), but has the option to switch off the laser via the front panel; an option which I always use.

Arkless Electronics
08-09-2017, 17:55

Cheers.

S.

Nothing is designed to be left switched on (there are a very few exceptions but not usually hi fi gear). No matter what the manufacturer may say. Some say such things for marketing purposes of course...

Here's a typical electrolytic capacitor datasheet picked at random http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1907780.pdf?_ga=2.114070912.663954123.1504892696-1653013049.1495989709 See where it says "Endurance 2000 hours". That's at its max rated 85C temperature and it will of course last loads longer than 2000 hours at room temperature.. but it's still wearing out gradually.

However, you should always leave gear switched on as it makes work for me and other repair people:D

RobbieGong
08-09-2017, 21:47
Nothing is designed to be left switched on (there are a very few exceptions but not usually hi fi gear). No matter what the manufacturer may say. Some say such things for marketing purposes of course...

Here's a typical electrolytic capacitor datasheet picked at random http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1907780.pdf?_ga=2.114070912.663954123.1504892696-1653013049.1495989709 See where it says "Endurance 2000 hours". That's at its max rated 85C temperature and it will of course last loads longer than 2000 hours at room temperature.. but it's still wearing out gradually.

However, you should always leave gear switched on as it makes work for me and other repair people :D

:eek: :lol:

jollyfix
08-09-2017, 22:08
Id say turn it off Shane, i turn my Rega Saturn off when not used. Turning back on the next day, it sounds just the same as if id been using it for hours.

southall-1998
08-09-2017, 22:19
Thanks chaps.

S.

hifi_dave
14-09-2017, 11:33
Take note of what Jez says and turn it off when not used.

IMO it takes around 20 minutes to warm up.

Ninanina
22-09-2017, 19:36
My cd transport I put in standby which in turn kind of puts the dac in standby as well

The Naim (s !) I think are designed to be left switched on all the time so that's what I do, it's quite novel after my valve amps which I would never leave on ;)

Macca
23-09-2017, 09:21
Not sure that anything is 'designed' to be left switched on. I don't think putting he on/off switch at the back counts. That to me is just playing to market expectations. To say it is designed that way implies to me there is something about the circuit design that makes this preferable. Maybe a resident double E can confirm but I don't think there is any special way to design a circuit so it is better left powered up than not.

walpurgis
23-09-2017, 09:29
I'd like to know what is 'special' about items of Hi-Fi that are intended to be left switched on. What separates them from other equipment that gets turned off?

I don't believe in 'operating temperature' or 'stabilising' that demands perpetual power on, It doesn't need to be live 24/7 to achieve this. Much of my gear does sound better after being on for a while, but that takes between 15 and 30 minutes, that's all. And I don't leave it switched on! (unless I forget of course :))

montesquieu
23-09-2017, 11:14
I'd like to know what is 'special' about items of Hi-Fi that are intended to be left switched on. What separates them from other equipment that gets turned off?

I don't believe in 'operating temperature' or 'stabilising' that demands perpetual power on, It doesn't need to be live 24/7 to achieve this. Much of my gear does sound better after being on for a while, but that takes between 15 and 30 minutes, that's all. And I don't leave it switched on! (unless I forget of course :))

+1. Anything else is voodoo.

Arkless Electronics
23-09-2017, 11:45
Not sure that anything is 'designed' to be left switched on. I don't think putting he on/off switch at the back counts. That to me is just playing to market expectations. To say it is designed that way implies to me there is something about the circuit design that makes this preferable. Maybe a resident double E can confirm but I don't think there is any special way to design a circuit so it is better left powered up than not.

Yes that's correct and is as I said in an earlier post. Also there is no way to design a circuit so it is better left switched on, as you correctly surmise.

I guess it's mainly marketing bullshit (as is half of everything said about hi fi!) intended to maybe convey an image that something is so "special", "sensitive" and "refined" that it cannot be disturbed by being switched off. Bollocks more like!

Macca
23-09-2017, 13:06
I guess it's mainly marketing bullshit (as is half of everything said about hi fi!) !

I'd say more like 80 to 90 percent. There is so much manufacturer bullshit aimed at the mug punter nowadays that countering it is like shovelling shit against the tide. Digital now seems to be the main area where nonsense rules. You've got DAC designers claiming they design for aspects of performance that cannot be measured. If it cannot be measured how can you design for it? I was reading a technical review the other day of some gadget that you string in between source and DAC that claims to reduce noise and distortion. In fact, with the recommended power supply (itself a few hundred quid), it actually increases both noise and distortion! With a laboratory grade power supply it just does nothing at all.

It's a jungle out there.