PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Cricklewood

John
07-05-2008, 19:35
Hi Everyone I from Cricklewood home of the Goodies and the Crown.
Love music really wide taste
My system odd mix of ultra modern and old technology but works well and sounds great
VPI HW19 MK4 heavy duty platter sama motor terminator parrel tracking arm ZXY R100 H Cart hest ps30r phono
Laptop Ps Audio DAC Digital link 3
Music First passive copper
SAC Glowmaster
Wharfedale Opus 3
Ps Audio P500 Power reginartor
Cablies all silver including mains with dedicated spur and earth
Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandeep to Shawn Lane
John

Marco
07-05-2008, 19:49
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum :)

That's a fine T/T set-up you've got there! :respect:

I like your embracing of old and new technologies. Technological absolutism with hi-fi is for fools.

Have fun.

Marco.

Filterlab
08-05-2008, 07:45
Hi John and welcome!

Nice to see a few more folk joining who use a computer as a source component. :)

And may I say...

...Jeff Buckley...

....excellent choice!

:)

John
08-05-2008, 07:55
Thanks for the warm welcome
The VPI is indeed a very good turntable and I was suprised just how good computer audio can be.
Must admit at the moment I listen a lot to the turntable just wish I could get hold of more music i like on vinyl. But know just not the demand to warrent this.

Filterlab
08-05-2008, 08:49
...and I was suprised just how good computer audio can be...

Me too, so much so that it caused me to ditch my MF A3.5 CD and Tri-Vista 21 DAC immediately. It's hard trying to convince non-believers to give it a try though. :)

John
08-05-2008, 12:21
In a previous life i had a audiocom mod nu-vista 3d which was pretty good I spent £2000 on the mods, but the computer DAC set up is just as good maybe even better and cost a lot less money.
When i tried it had the DAC on loan and was totally stunned by what I heard.
I just think its about the music first and like most people generally want to find the best sound i can get within my budget

Marco
08-05-2008, 12:52
Yep you're quite right, John.

I've heard computer audio sounding excellent, particularly when streaming lossless files through a good media player and into a DAC of the quality of my Audiocom-modified Sony. Providing the quality of the original download is good, the results achieved are better than that provided by CD on my X-777ES with the DAS-R1 DAC.

So, believe me, I know how good computer audio can sound, and with that in mind I intend to purchase a high quality music server in the not too distant future to use with my laptop and Sony DAC. However, I still have a large 'physical' CD collection to play (and no I can't be arsed ripping all of them on to a hard-drive) so that's when the X-777ES comes into play, along with the DAC, so I can enjoy CD reproduced through a Red Book player of the highest standard.

I hate compromises ;)

Marco.

Filterlab
08-05-2008, 12:54
...I just think it's about the music first and like most people generally want to find the best sound I can get within my budget

Hear hear!

And of course that doesn't always mean the most expensive. My DAC is only a £1k studio DAC and coupled to the Mac it destroys players I've heard costing £5k and up, and I've heard many of those. One day (in the distant future) I'd love to get into turntables as well, but as for now I love the sound I hear from my Mac.

:)

John
08-05-2008, 16:40
Turntables are a whole different world; set up right with a good arm and cart and its can almost floor you with its impact, and if you are willing to do a bit of work on a direct drive or idlier the results you get are very cost friendly and will be a match for some of the very best.

Marco
08-05-2008, 18:18
Turntables are a whole different world; set up right with a good arm and cart and its can almost floor you with its impact...

Damned right! And it's quite funny looking at the shocked look on the face of your 'digiphile' friends when they *get* what a top-notch T/T does with vinyl :eyebrows:

Marco.