PDA

View Full Version : Wanted, Advice on Buying and shipping of a turntable from CANADA!

p147
08-09-2017, 08:52
Hi,
I have for the past 2 years been looking for a specific turntable to come up for sale and Lo and behold I have just had notification that one is being advertised, But it is located in Canada therefore can anyone advise me on the following:-
a) As it is an Item I would purchase from a private individual (not a business) and as it is second hand, would I have to pay any import taxes or duties to ship it back to the UK?
b) If I flew out there for say a short holiday/break say a week, when I return back to the UK, I could put it in a suitcase (Yes it would fit and be well boxed), upon return would I have to declare it at customs both on departure and return back to the UK?
c) Do we have any trusted members (or friends of members) in the vicinity ( Ontario
Toronto Markham / York Region)Who would be willing to call on the seller (Once I had made the arrangements)to view, take photos and report back to me via e-mail? I would be happy to pay a small agreed fee for this.

Thanks in advance.
Paul

struth
08-09-2017, 08:59
Yes it is taxable on value. Falsifying the documents accompanying is an offence and can be serious if caught. among other penalties the goods can be seized. The way suitcases are handled I would be reluctant to go that way anyway. Get a big company to handle the whole thing.(insured etc)

SPS
08-09-2017, 09:03
I once sold an amp to a guy in Canada.. he tried to plug it their 120vt mains... his mate told him he would just need to change a fuse and it would work...
it also cost a fair amount to ship but it got there ok
I would guess the import costs is all about declared value... ?

Pharos
08-09-2017, 09:21
Two years ago I bought a bicycle front fork made from titanium via Ebay from a guy in Canada.
It took ages to arrive, being held up at many stages, and the tracking was delayed and poor - latency?

From memory anything over a value of £100 is liable for customs charges, and they hang on to your item until you pay, which is all done via the net.

Transit for a turntable, very problematic, but insurance essential I would have thought.

In the 80s I had a replacement woofer sent from California, and they wrote value $0.00 on it which may have been illegal, but I don't think I paid charges on that one.

Macca
08-09-2017, 11:48
UK Duty and Tax is payable on any item over $50 usd

You are required to declare it at customs on entry to the UK and pay VAT and duty. You don't need to declare it when you depart Canada.

You could just hope that they don't bother and you can just walk through with the suitcase without saying anything, although this is smuggling and therefore technically a criminal act.

p147
08-09-2017, 14:16
Thanks to your reply's, What I cannot get my head around is that there are to many if's and but's and nothing appears to be certain, for instance if I go to collect the item (At least I will know it exists) when you come back into the UK your are asked to go to either into the green channel or the red to declare channel, but I have been on the ukgov.website and nowhere can I see anything that relates to electrical goods for personnel use, I can only find the obvious items such as cash, drinks and cigs. am I missing something?
Note I have not travelled for a while so things may well have changed.

struth
08-09-2017, 15:39
Might not let it on plane without being checked too. they are pretty safety conscious these days.

Barry
08-09-2017, 16:08
Yes - it will be X-rayed and they might not like what they see.

I believe there is a limit to the cost of items that can be brought into the UK as 'duty free'.

Barry
08-09-2017, 16:12

I believe there is a limit to the value of items that can be brought into the UK as 'duty free'.

(Just checked, the limit is £390. https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-outside-the-eu)

Macca
08-09-2017, 16:56
Thanks to your reply's, What I cannot get my head around is that there are to many if's and but's and nothing appears to be certain, for instance if I go to collect the item (At least I will know it exists) when you come back into the UK your are asked to go to either into the green channel or the red to declare channel, but I have been on the ukgov.website and nowhere can I see anything that relates to electrical goods for personnel use, I can only find the obvious items such as cash, drinks and cigs. am I missing something?
Note I have not travelled for a while so things may well have changed.

If you didn't take it out with you then you are supposed to declare it when you come back in, value withstanding. I know someone who had to pay VAT plus duty on his watch. He bought it in the UK and wore it on his way out, on his way back in they insisted he had bought it overseas and made him pay because he couldn't prove otherwise. The alternative was to let them confiscate a £5K watch.

p147
08-09-2017, 17:01

I believe there is a limit to the value of items that can be brought into the UK as 'duty free'.

(Just checked, the limit is £390. https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-outside-the-eu)

Thanks Barry,

Clicked on your link but it implies that I can bring in duty free certain amount of goods for your my use 'quote'from outside the European Union (EU) without paying duty or tax.

When you’re bringing in goods you must:
•transport them yourself
•use them yourself or give them away as a gift

Which it would be, but then it states further down the page' other goods ' is this in addition? and also 'VAT may be payable' all very loose and open to interpretation in my view, perhaps I had better fire off a letter to the relevant authority for clarification.

Spectral Morn
08-09-2017, 18:40
Chances of it arriving in one piece, unless dissembled and packed in original packaging very remote. At a minimum assuming there is a lid that will be damaged, at worst, well a right off.

If there is No original packing and no ability to properly disassemble and pack, then walk on by.

And pay the proper duty and VAT, don't try and avoid it.... tut, tut !

Pharos
08-09-2017, 22:16
So was I wrongly charged on my forks?

Pharos
08-09-2017, 22:19
Writing to them may be a waste of time because the authorities seem to have a policy of employing muppets that cannot think clearly or process rules effectively.

This is true of the pension service and others, and it probably results in profit for the government.

Macca
09-09-2017, 08:20
Writing to them may be a waste of time because the authorities seem to have a policy of employing muppets that cannot think clearly or process rules effectively.

This is true of the pension service and others, and it probably results in profit for the government.

No it doesn't. They overpay them, give them gold plated pensions on early retirement and ship them around the country to pointless meetings by first-class rail. The Government never makes a profit, the taxpayer always makes a loss.

p147
09-09-2017, 10:44
Chances of it arriving in one piece, unless dissembled and packed in original packaging very remote. At a minimum assuming there is a lid that will be damaged, at worst, well a right off.

If there is No original packing and no ability to properly disassemble and pack, then walk on by.

And pay the proper duty and VAT, don't try and avoid it.... tut, tut !

Funny that, years ago When I travelled a lot I used to buy glass and souvenirs, etc packed them well in the suitcases and never had any breakages I suppose that has changed now.
Perish the thought that I would not want to pay and duty or taxes due, I was just after clarification which appears to be non-existent:)

Tried there chat line, never again, kept being told wrong department and try the other ones in the end gave up which I am sure that's what they want you to do :).

No it doesn't. They overpay them, give them gold plated pensions on early retirement and ship them around the country to pointless meetings by first-class rail. The Government never makes a profit, the taxpayer always makes a loss.
Totally agree, I just want clear and precise clarification but it appears to be non-existant:)

paulf-2007
12-09-2017, 20:35
I bought my Denon DP80 from Japan from an eBay seller Japan products. They packed it very well, so we'll I didn't find the platter immediately, it was underneath a piece of cardboard in the bottom of the box. Anyway, I had to pay import tax and vat before it was released from customs as expected. Only problem was the strobe light didn't work so I took it my tech mate who fixed it. Provided it's packed well and insured for the full amount shouldn't be a problem. But look at it as if you can afford to lose the money and takes yer chances.

agk
12-09-2017, 20:46
I'm curious as to what deck this is. Is it the PL-90?

p147
13-09-2017, 21:41
I'm curious as to what deck this is. Is it the PL-90?

Yes, You are correct.

agk
14-09-2017, 00:05
The forum has at least one Canadian member, can he be persuaded to help maybe?