PDA

View Full Version : FS: Alphason HR100mcs tonearm

Bigman80
07-09-2017, 15:03
Hi all,

With the impending arrival of my SP10, I made a realisation that a 9" tonearm isn't the best match with the new turntable so I'm viewing this as an opportunity to go in a different tonearm direction.

I am offering the sale of my excellent Alphason tonearm.

Pics are part of the description so please view thoroughly.

I have had some Klotz cables soldered to the existing VDH Mono crystal silver arm wire and it sounds fabulous. The long term idea was to send it to J7 and get a Din fitted (£35). ***This NEEDS to be done as the cable is loose and unsecured in the pillar, i am willing to contribute £15 towards the cost, offered as a reduction in postage. I should have done it before selling it***.

Excellent condition with ZERO play in the bearings. Everything does exactly what it should.

Price

Collected £600
Delivered £625 - £15 for necessary DIN = £610

Priced to only recoup the amount I paid a few months back. No profit is generated from my sales on this forum. There will be no price reduction on this arm. Recent sales of £550+ for the HR100s (copper wires) makes this a bargain for the price.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170907/635a572bccf41d16fb9c237bea7f7661.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170907/e8234fd9c195d4326e323791e95c3fe3.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170907/a8628155a17b95ce74b0fd21ab6911ff.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170907/b731cf2b75d74b4940c2435ce851dd75.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170907/30ad44c0d889d927e374b54985c008ed.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170907/8d790fb159ea1b4761b1b8fa05a63280.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170907/6b260520a50a79cee2890bf6b9a7f436.jpg
Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

farflungstar
07-09-2017, 15:09
Lovely. But go with a 12" with the SP10.

Bigman80
07-09-2017, 15:12
Lovely. But go with a 12" with the SP10.Probably gonna go 10" for now. I'd need a bigger plinth for a 12" so it's more money to spend than I want to at the minute.

karma67
07-09-2017, 15:35
a lovely arm and a fair price, :)

Bigman80
07-09-2017, 15:37
a lovely arm and a fair price, :)Cheers Jamie. It's been a pleasure to listen to. Thanks for the recommendation to buy it.

Barry
07-09-2017, 15:40
What makes you think a 9" arm will not be the "best match" with your SP10? :scratch:

I wouldn't hestitate to use a 9" arm, but if you are looking for a longer arm that is up to the quality level of the SP10, may I suggest the Brinkmann 10.5 arm.

Then there are other 12" arms that you could consider: SME M2-12R; SME V-12; SME 312; various Ortofon-badged Jelcos, and the 12" Jelco 750. Plus some vintage Audio Technica and Ortofon arms. There is a wide range of choice available.

Bigman80
07-09-2017, 15:45
What makes you think a 9" arm will not be the "best match" with your SP10? :scratch:

I wouldn't hestitate to use a 9" arm, but if you are looking for a longer arm that is up to the quality level of the SP10, may I suggest the Brinkmann 10.5 arm.

Then there are other 12" arms that you could consider: SME M2-12R; SME V-12; SME 312; various Ortofon-badged Jelcos, and the 12" Jelco 750. Plus some vintage Audio Technica and Ortofon arms. There is a wide range of choice available.It's apparently well known, although not to me I must admit lol.

There's a few references to it on multiple pages dotted around the internet.

I'll look into the aforementioned arm.

EDIT : £3500???? Erm, I'll rule that out then lol.

Barry
07-09-2017, 16:05
It's apparently well known, although not to me I must admit lol.

There's a few references to it on multiple pages dotted around the internet.

I'll look into the aforementioned arm.

EDIT : £3500???? Erm, I'll rule that out then lol.

First I've heard of it. I'm sure the arms the BBC used with their SP10s were only around 9" in length. If you only want a 10" arm the choice is somewhat more limited; SME have stopped manufacture of their 10" arms, though if you are lucky you might find an AT1503 III arm (which is what I would go for).

By the way I'm most envious of your SP10 - well done! ;) And good luck with the sale of the Alphason.

walpurgis
07-09-2017, 16:14
Blimey. You don't hang about Oliver! :)

Have you considered a parallel tracking arm?

Bigman80
07-09-2017, 17:06
First I've heard of it. I'm sure the arms the BBC used with their SP10s were only around 9" in length. If you only want a 10" arm the choice is somewhat more limited; SME have stopped manufacture of their 10" arms, though if you are lucky you might find an AT1503 III arm (which is what I would go for).

By the way I'm most envious of your SP10 - well done! ;) And good luck with the sale of the Alphason.I'll see if I can find the article I read, Barry.

The AT is of Interest. I'll do some research. To be fair, the Alphason is quite short. The Mission seemed to have more reach. I've had sibilance since it was fitted too which I've never been able to get rid of so I am not sure the Alphason and the Toshy were a match made in heaven.

Anyway, a change is needed, 9 1/2" -12" I will find something.

Bigman80
07-09-2017, 17:45
Blimey. You don't hang about Oliver! :)

Have you considered a parallel tracking arm?I haven't Geoff. Any suggestions?

Bigman80
08-09-2017, 09:26
Surpringly in need of a Bump.

walpurgis
08-09-2017, 09:37
I haven't Geoff. Any suggestions?

Never used one mate, but I have heard them sounding good. There are a few about. Always fancied trying one.

Bigman80
08-09-2017, 09:38
Never used one mate, but I have heard them sounding good. There are a few about. Always fancied trying one.I'll give it a look but I am not sure. A break from the norm lol

Barry
08-09-2017, 09:53
The 'Terminator' parallel tracking arms get good reviews.

walpurgis
08-09-2017, 10:01
Probably a bit expensive.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/tonearms/the-cartridge-man-conductor-air-bearing-tonearm.html

More realstically priced.

http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm

DSJR
08-09-2017, 11:01
You're all going to flame me, but here goes...

The Alphason has one of the best arm tubes out there imo and any bearing issues some suffered in the past should have been sorted out under warranty years ago. I feel you're going to have a hell of a job actually bettering this arm, whatever effin' length it is and what I suspect you'll really be doing is juggling one compromise against another.

As a parting shot I'll chuck one more arm into the mix, which isn't as well finished as a SME of any age, but the materials it's made from do seem well thought out and sonics have never been an issue for me at any rate and that's one of the Notts Analogue ones (Ace Anna? - I've lost touch now). As easy to handle as a conventional bearing arm, Decca friendly (:D) and available in different lengths too I believe. They used to be available for conventional mounting...

Why limit yourself with a 12" arm anyway? The tracing error difference is mostly academic I believe and you're not playing 16" acetates are you?

Bigman80
08-09-2017, 11:12

The Alphason has one of the best arm tubes out there imo and any bearing issues some suffered in the past should have been sorted out under warranty years ago. I feel you're going to have a hell of a job actually bettering this arm, whatever effin' length it is and what I suspect you'll really be doing is juggling one compromise against another.

As a parting shot I'll chuck one more arm into the mix, which isn't as well finished as a SME of any age, but the materials it's made from do seem well thought out and sonics have never been an issue for me at any rate and that's one of the Notts Analogue ones (Ace Anna? - I've lost touch now). As easy to handle as a conventional bearing arm, Decca friendly (:D) and available in different lengths too I believe. They used to be available for conventional mounting...

Why limit yourself with a 12" arm anyway? The tracing error difference is mostly academic I believe and you're not playing 16" acetates are you?Well, yes, it's definitely one of the best send out there BUT every component is a compromise. I think you're right in respect of going to have to do well to better it but the aim is always to try new things for me. When an item cements itself in my system then it'll be a keeper.

The length isn't so much an issue as a good excuse to try something else, justification isn't necessary but always helps lol

There is no bearing issue or any issue to worry about with the Alphason. It's in perfect working order. Even the arm lowering device is smooth.

The arm tube is completely unwavering in its rigidity and the whole thing looks very beautiful. Someone should buy it.

DiveDeepDog
08-09-2017, 11:13

This, frying pan to fire IMO.

I've heard SP10 with a Terminator, it was FAB, but may as well put a CD on. You went to great lengths choosing the MCS above the 774, trust your ears...

While we're flaming people, I had a 12" Jelco, lasted 2 weeks. While you did notice end of side distortion going back to a Rega geometry arm (Roksan Tabriz) the Jelco was dull and flat in comparison in my system. The only time my mate sat playing on his phone while we had a music session.

Sorry to go off on a sale thread, but the OP had questions, by all accounts the MCS is one of the 80's greats

Bigman80
08-09-2017, 11:17
This, frying pan to fire IMO.

I've heard SP10 with a Terminator, it was FAB, but may as well put a CD on. You went to great lengths choosing the MCS above the 774, trust your ears...

While we're flaming people, I had a 12" Jelco, lasted 2 weeks. While you did notice end of side distortion going back to a Rega geometry arm (Roksan Tabriz) the Jelco was dull and flat in comparison in my system. The only time my mate sat playing on his phone while we had a music session.

Sorry to go off on a sale thread, but the OP had questions, by all accounts the MCS is one of the 80's greatsDon't worry about thread drift, it takes the ad back to the top of the pile hahaha.

Yep, I'll trust them again, it's the only way to pick IMO. I can only buy and try really due to the relatively low budget for the new arm so why not buy/try/move on. I'm glad you mentioned the Jelco, I did have a look but something just doesn't convince me. I have never heard it either which is a bit judgemental.

moodybuilder
08-09-2017, 15:17
The Notts Anna is a very good arm, and decca friendly as mentioned

Bigman80
08-09-2017, 15:46
The Notts Anna is a very good arm, and decca friendly as mentioned[emoji106]

Jimbo
08-09-2017, 15:50
Why don't you try the Alphason arm with the SP10 first before selling?

Barry
08-09-2017, 15:50
There's one here for sale (without cable) for £700:

http://www.emporiumhifi.com/pre-owned/nottingham-analogue-10-anna-ace-tonearm/

And it's 10" long! ;)

Jimbo
08-09-2017, 15:54
Also if you are definitely moving onto 10 or 12 inch tonearms have a look at VPI's tasty selection. They are Unipivot and damped and extremely well engineered. USA build quality. They are so easy to set up and adjust once installed.

http://www.vpiindustries.com/tonearms

Bigman80
08-09-2017, 16:49
Why don't you try the Alphason arm with the SP10 first before selling?No can do Jim. I am ready for a change. I am committed to selling.

The VPI arms look very tasty. I like their whole range really, very classy looking kit. I'm looking for to hearing yours!

Bigman80
08-09-2017, 16:50
There's one here for sale (without cable) for £700:

http://www.emporiumhifi.com/pre-owned/nottingham-analogue-10-anna-ace-tonearm/

And it's 10" long! ;)It looks a bit of a brute to be honest. Not really sure what I think of it.

CageyH
08-09-2017, 17:02
You will regret selling it, and it won't be easy to find another one in similar condition.....

Yes, you can try another arm, but will it be as good??? You will not be happy if it isn't. ;)

DSJR
08-09-2017, 17:19
It looks a bit of a brute to be honest. Not really sure what I think of it.

You won't like it because very few here know the brand well and as I said, it's not a looker! The clever bits are hidden inside and the bits that matter should be as good as anyone elses.

Before I knew better, I 'quite liked' the Alphason arm, but stuck doggedly to the Ittok as it was a known quantity and I spent hours farting around with LP12 belts, mats and fuses (yes really!) to try to get the bloody fruitbox to sound as good as possible. My high opinions of said fruitbox were first blown away by a trip to Linn where I heard first hand how awful the thing actually was in comparison to master recordings (Blue Nile in this instance) and shortly after I got to know and befriend hifi dave of this parish and the weird and wacky stuff he used to sell back then cemented my audio re-awakening, especially where vinyl reproduction is concerned! I KNOW that Linn worked hard to improve the performance of the LP12 with the Cirkus and so on, but what I'm trying to convey is the gulf between so many vinyl playing setups and 'the real thing' that fed the cutter in the first place. The SP10 in suitable plinth has the potential to be one of the finest and most 'inert' record spinners out there and it doesn't need thousands of pounds of 'upgrades' to make it any good. In fact, one person who tried to 'improve it,' returned to the original stock settings and spent time with arm and cartridge choice to tailor it to his needs - and I forget what the arm and cartridge was now. I know you're now set on selling off the Alphason and I wish I could buy it from you to put my money where my gob is, but I'm afraid I can't, so it just has to be typed words on a page.

I hope you enjoy your audio journey. I fear that like so many before you, you'll be buying and selling, often crap gear underneath, and not really knowing about it, only later on you'll think "Why didn't I keep 'xxx' product?" I've been there guv'nor and could weep at the things I sold twenty odd years ago that I can now never replace, one particular turntable immediately comes to mind. Still, you'll need to experience this for yourself and it's my sincere hope that the buyer of said HR100S will enjoy it for the subtle classic it is - and 'we here' keep telling you it is :)

Bigman80
08-09-2017, 18:18
You won't like it because very few here know the brand well and as I said, it's not a looker! The clever bits are hidden inside and the bits that matter should be as good as anyone elses.

Before I knew better, I 'quite liked' the Alphason arm, but stuck doggedly to the Ittok as it was a known quantity and I spent hours farting around with LP12 belts, mats and fuses (yes really!) to try to get the bloody fruitbox to sound as good as possible. My high opinions of said fruitbox were first blown away by a trip to Linn where I heard first hand how awful the thing actually was in comparison to master recordings (Blue Nile in this instance) and shortly after I got to know and befriend hifi dave of this parish and the weird and wacky stuff he used to sell back then cemented my audio re-awakening, especially where vinyl reproduction is concerned! I KNOW that Linn worked hard to improve the performance of the LP12 with the Cirkus and so on, but what I'm trying to convey is the gulf between so many vinyl playing setups and 'the real thing' that fed the cutter in the first place. The SP10 in suitable plinth has the potential to be one of the finest and most 'inert' record spinners out there and it doesn't need thousands of pounds of 'upgrades' to make it any good. In fact, one person who tried to 'improve it,' returned to the original stock settings and spent time with arm and cartridge choice to tailor it to his needs - and I forget what the arm and cartridge was now. I know you're now set on selling off the Alphason and I wish I could buy it from you to put my money where my gob is, but I'm afraid I can't, so it just has to be typed words on a page.

I hope you enjoy your audio journey. I fear that like so many before you, you'll be buying and selling, often crap gear underneath, and not really knowing about it, only later on you'll think "Why didn't I keep 'xxx' product?" I've been there guv'nor and could weep at the things I sold twenty odd years ago that I can now never replace, one particular turntable immediately comes to mind. Still, you'll need to experience this for yourself and it's my sincere hope that the buyer of said HR100S will enjoy it for the subtle classic it is - and 'we here' keep telling you it is :)Your a wise fellow and your words don't fall on ignorant ears.

The idea of going on to the next thing hasn't been taken lightly. Truth is I've been quite lucky so far, in that I have been better off for the move every time. It's a bit like "double or nothing"

I am in no doubt of how good the Alphason is, I have one lol.

I'll be straight up with ya, I've had my head turned. I spotted something a little while back and now I want to go and get it, if I can lol.

No details yet. Just a sale thread to generate Funds. You'll all say I'm crazy anyway but, I'd rather be crazy and happy.

Bigman80
09-09-2017, 06:32
Still for sale.

Pharos
09-09-2017, 08:00
I am interested and need a little help/prompting, perhaps from DJSR.

I have a Linn which I have never really liked, low end (Val), and years ago changed the Ittok 2 for a RB300, running a Denon DL304.

Would the Alphason work with this, and will it work well please.

I've been thinking about a deck change, but not done any research yet, and am considering changing some of the (nasty) Linn metalwork for better home made stuff first. The simplicity of the Linn appeals maintenance wise compared with say a TD 124 with its loads of bearings and wheels and clunking parts to damp etc.

Bigman80
09-09-2017, 08:36
The Alphason doesn't weigh a ton so suspended decks shouldn't be an issue AFAIK. It doesn't have a reputation on being fussy about cartridges either. I only used a ZYX with it so can't say from first hand experience.

It's an all time great tonearm. I'm sure every will tell you the same.

Bigman80
09-09-2017, 08:49
Original post edited. ***Denotes change***

Bigman80
10-09-2017, 08:32
Ok boys and girls, I'm going to get the DIN fitted before selling it. I nearly lost the cartridge tags into the arm last night when the cable came loose so I'm not happy to send it out in a non working order (I've cut the cable off))

It'sll for sale, same price, but won't be posted untill the DIN is installed. Maybe 7-10 days time.

£600 Collected

£625 Delivered - I'll refund the difference in postage if it's less than I estimate.

karma67
10-09-2017, 08:35
is the arm tube foam filled ?

Bigman80
10-09-2017, 08:42
I think It is. Not the easiest thing to see but there is definitely something foam like in it.

Avinunca1
12-09-2017, 11:54
I am led to understand reading in the Pink Triangle forum on Vinyl Engine, that the arm you are selling works very well on PT decks. If I wasn't already happy with my Zeta I would be interested myself.

Bigman80
12-09-2017, 15:22
I am led to understand reading in the Pink Triangle forum on Vinyl Engine, that the arm you are selling works very well on PT decks. If I wasn't already happy with my Zeta I would be interested myself.Yes, that's certainly the case. Enjoy the Zeta!

montesquieu
12-09-2017, 15:40
I am interested and need a little help/prompting, perhaps from DJSR.

I have a Linn which I have never really liked, low end (Val), and years ago changed the Ittok 2 for a RB300, running a Denon DL304.

Would the Alphason work with this, and will it work well please.

I've been thinking about a deck change, but not done any research yet, and am considering changing some of the (nasty) Linn metalwork for better home made stuff first. The simplicity of the Linn appeals maintenance wise compared with say a TD 124 with its loads of bearings and wheels and clunking parts to damp etc.

I used one of these with an LP12 and later on a Rock, I thought it was a significant upgrade over the Ittok and far ahead over an RB300. It's a really superb arm with the likes of a ZXY or a Lyra, you don't want anything too low compliance but otherwise relatively easy to match up.

BTW I run a TD124 after being round the houses (LP12 with all the upgrades, Rock Reference, Voyd 3 motor, Garrard 401, assorted Lencos, JVC DD and several others) and I'd say once you get the TD124 sorted it stays put far better than an LP12 which needs the suspension regularly kept on top of.

Anyway I'm a big fan of the Alphason, it's a seriously hard act to follow if it's been sensitively matched for cartridge and set up properly.

Bigman80
12-09-2017, 15:48
I used one of these with an LP12 and later on a Rock, I thought it was a significant upgrade over the Ittok and far ahead over an RB300. It's a really superb arm with the likes of a ZXY or a Lyra, you don't want anything too low compliance but otherwise relatively easy to match up.

BTW I run a TD124 after being round the houses (LP12 with all the upgrades, Rock Reference, Voyd 3 motor, Garrard 401, assorted Lencos, JVC DD and several others) and I'd say once you get the TD124 sorted it stays put far better than an LP12 which needs the suspension regularly kept on top of.

Anyway I'm a big fan of the Alphason, it's a seriously hard act to follow if it's been sensitively matched for cartridge and set up properly.It is a very good arm.