PDA

View Full Version : is it me or are Oasis Recording Shit!!

dantheman91
05-02-2010, 19:42
Hi

is it me or are Oasis Recording Shit

Dan

Ali Tait
05-02-2010, 19:47
Compression is the devil's work!

hifi_dave
05-02-2010, 19:50
If by 'recording shit' you are referring to the recorded quality, then yes, they are about as bad as it gets.....:eek:

If you are talking about recording 'shit' music, I am quite keen on a lot of their music.

Stratmangler
05-02-2010, 20:03
It's been said that with music/musicians in the 60's the saying "the cream rises to the top" often applies.

With Oasis you can adjust this to "shit floats".

Chris;)

Spectral Morn
05-02-2010, 20:03
Bar a few songs, this second rate Beatles tribute band (and they are highly overrated imho..the Beatles that is)are dire in the extreme....loutish behaviour go hand in had with crap music. Just poor all round imho.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
05-02-2010, 20:04
It's been said that with music/musicians in the 60's the saying "the cream rises to the top" often applies.

Chris;)

You said it and I hint at it ;):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
05-02-2010, 20:08

Chris;)

Pretty much my view, so no idea how compressed or not the recordings are!

The Vinyl Adventure
05-02-2010, 20:12
Bar a few songs, this second rate Beatles tribute band (and they are highly overrated imho..the Beatles that is)are dire in the extreme....loutish behaviour go hand in had with crap music. Just poor all round imho.

Regards D S D L

i couldnt agree more! toss to the max!

dodgy "free peace sweet" is another album recorded in the same god damn horrible way... but at least the music is vaguly ok

dantheman91
05-02-2010, 20:15
thank you so it not just me lol yeah i mean the the way the tracks are reacorded is absolutly dire

DanJennings
05-02-2010, 20:20
this has been discussed in a previous thread,
god forbid that I come across like an Oasis fan, I certainly AM NOT.
but their first album is GOOD. not mind blowing, amazing, or anything like that, but GOOD. give it a try.
everything else is hyped up dross IMO, but don't dismiss the band just like that, same with the Beatles... so what, they did some bubblegum tripe in the beginning, they went on to make some of the most important and influential music ever recorded.

recording techniques wise, I can't see them really being worse than most other pop albums of the 90s/00s
rant over :)

dantheman91
05-02-2010, 20:22
yep true The Beatles Abbey road is genius. my mate steve loves oasis but when i said oasis recordings are shit he stoped talking to me for like a week lol

Stratmangler
05-02-2010, 20:25
I will give Noel Gallagher his due - Wonderwall is one hell of a good song. I'm not very taken with much Oasis material, but Wonderwall is great.

Free Peace Sweet is a bunch of great songs recorded and produced in an appalling fashion. I quite like Dodgy - they can actually play well.

The best albums released last year for me have got to be The Beatles Remasters - all of 'em !
A great set of recordings by the most musically influential group of them all.

Chris:)

DanJennings
05-02-2010, 20:27
what about the GNR album? truly underrated, musically as well.

dantheman91
05-02-2010, 20:30
one of most fav bands of all time. recording is brill the tracks are fantastic and production is spot on and on vinyl the dogs ball balls

Stratmangler
05-02-2010, 20:34
what about the GNR album? truly underrated, musically as well.

Which one ? Appetite ?
It's alright.
Some good songs played and recorded well.
I wouldn't call it hugely influential - for that you'd need something like Machine Head, or maybe Black Sabbath.
All just my opinion though, yours may differ.

dantheman91
05-02-2010, 20:39
i mean all of there albums but the for me is Appetite. i also love sabbaths work to but only with Ozzy.

Dan

Stratmangler
05-02-2010, 20:48
i mean all of there albums but the for me is Appetite. i also love sabbaths work to but only with Ozzy.

Dan

Sabbath weren't beyond recording dodgy material either - Never Say Die is not exactly a crowning moment.

DSJR
05-02-2010, 20:50
We had the first couple of Oasis CD's in the shop and the music - in my opinion - wasn't good enough to rise above the awful production. the album with "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" (or similar) was slightly better produced, but still pretty dire, whatever you played it on.. Bloody whining overhyped dross by and large too :( My wife does like the track with the hilarious undertaker video featuring Rhrys Ifans "The Importance Of Being Idle."

The first Rage Against The Machine CD is in a different league IMO - and there's compression on that. Somehow, it's nowhere near as noticable IMO..

Themis
05-02-2010, 21:06
The first Rage Against The Machine CD is in a different league IMO - and there's compression on that. Somehow, it's nowhere near as noticable IMO..
+1 ;)

DanJennings
05-02-2010, 21:13
agree about RATM, but they never did a bad album....

the GNR album I was referring to was Chinese Democracy, because you were talking about albums released last year

Barry
05-02-2010, 21:14
I have their first two CDs. I bought them because they remind me of a time and place, and truth be told, I quite like them.

Since I intially heard them on the car radio, the fact that the recordings are compressed doesn't matter to me; I liked what I heard.

Don't really care whether or not they are up there in the 'Pantheon of the Greats', there is room for them in my 'Skeletons in the Cupboard'.

Regards

Stratmangler
05-02-2010, 21:16
agree about RATM, but they never did a bad album....

the GNR album I was referring to was Chinese Democracy, because you were talking about albums released last year

Chinese wot ?
Can't say as I can recollect any of it - it's that good. It must have got some airplay somewhere, but I can't remember.

Chris;)

Macca
06-02-2010, 11:23
As I recollect Oasis had three attempts at recording their first album, in two different studios, in an attempt to capture something of their live sound - the first two efforts were 'too tidy' sounding. I have it on vinyl and it doesn't sound compressed, just 'different' in an echoey, wall of sound sort of way.

'Morning Glory' has some good tunes but the production sounds like it was rushed.

After that - nothing of note. Seen 'em live a couple of times and they were pretty good.

GnR 'Chinese Democracy' sucks big time IMHO

dantheman91
06-02-2010, 11:34
Hi

yes i dont mind chinese demoracy not bad once you give it a few listens lol

Dan