PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to lms with tidal??

WESTLOWER
04-09-2017, 10:25
Can you stream Tidal with Jriver or similar?
I use Logitec Media Server, piCorePlayer/LMS on a small synology NAS (not enough processing power to hold Roon) at the moment with Ipeng as a controller.
It's great and works and sounds wonderful..BUT...it will only show the first 500 items in your favourite Lp / Artist list
from Tidal. It shows ALL the my stored local files but as I say only 500 items from Tidal..
Any thoughts to an alternative, without, at this point, setting up new hardware PC? or is there a work around for LMS?

struth
04-09-2017, 10:39
I believe you can with bubble upnp on an android device. Not tried it tho

Ali Tait
04-09-2017, 11:05
Try Roon. Much better interface and it sounds better too IMO. Not the cheapest perhaps, but if you add up what you spend on physical media in a year..

Yomanze
04-09-2017, 11:34
Try Roon. Much better interface and it sounds better too IMO. Not the cheapest perhaps, but if you add up what you spend on physical media in a year..

Sounds better than what? LMS?

WESTLOWER
04-09-2017, 12:23
I have a pretty bottom of the line NAS DiskStation DS115j
Not sure if the Roon would work on that?, i don't really want to purchase another PC to accommodate..Interesting you say it sounds better though!

WAD62
05-09-2017, 14:31
Can you stream Tidal with Jriver or similar?
I use Logitec Media Server, piCorePlayer/LMS on a small synology NAS (not enough processing power to hold Roon) at the moment with Ipeng as a controller.
It's great and works and sounds wonderful..BUT...it will only show the first 500 items in your favourite Lp / Artist list
from Tidal. It shows ALL the my stored local files but as I say only 500 items from Tidal..
Any thoughts to an alternative, without, at this point, setting up new hardware PC? or is there a work around for LMS?

By default the maximum size for playlists etc. in piCorePlayer/LMS is set to 500, to avoid memory/performance issues...

You'll find this parameter in LMS settings/advanced/performance, if you set it to 0 the size will be unlimited...however I'd suggest your NAS might struggle at large sizes.

I've just moved my LMS instance from an ageing QNAP NAS, to an RPi3 which is far more performant, and is still referencing the flac library on the QNAP...it's also allowed me to move to LMS 7.9, as that wasn't supported on my old NAS...well worth £29 ;)

WESTLOWER
07-09-2017, 10:25
thanks Will
I set the performance tab to 0 and unfortunately it made no difference at all to the maximum albums allowed
I posted on logitech forum and got this reply from moderator

> Any thoughts to get LMS to show ALL the favourites after the first
> 500??

There currently isn't any solution. Tidal wouldn't allow us to get more
than 50 items in one request. Which means we have to run 10 queries for
those 500 items already. And they don't want us to hammer their backends
too quickly.

Michael[/I]

WESTLOWER
07-09-2017, 10:34
I have just installed BubbleUPnP on the NAS and installed Linn Kazoo and now have all the content from Tidal Favourites. :)
It's a bit clunky and much slower to respond than LMS and Ipeng but the contents all there now.:scratch:

I may just bite the bullet in the future and go the Roon route but that will need a better PC to host the software.

For now Clunky Kazoo will have to do.

i take it JRiver don't support Tidal?

WAD62
07-09-2017, 14:31
thanks Will
I set the performance tab to 0 and unfortunately it made no difference at all to the maximum albums allowed
I posted on logitech forum and got this reply from moderator

> Any thoughts to get LMS to show ALL the favourites after the first
> 500??

There currently isn't any solution. Tidal wouldn't allow us to get more
than 50 items in one request. Which means we have to run 10 queries for
those 500 items already. And they don't want us to hammer their backends
too quickly.

Michael[/I]

Hi Adam...oh well worth a try...the 500 figure was just a coincidence in the end.

It seems a little unfair of tidal to 'throttle' LMS specifically...

EDIT; Ah I see, they're in bed together, hence throttling an opensource alternative to Roon, perhaps...? ;)

http://tidal.com/gb/about/roon

Ali Tait
07-09-2017, 14:40
Sounds better than what? LMS?

Than jriver.

Ali Tait
07-09-2017, 14:45
I have a pretty bottom of the line NAS DiskStation DS115j
Not sure if the Roon would work on that?, i don't really want to purchase another PC to accommodate..Interesting you say it sounds better though!

I bought a secondhand i5 machine on ebay which runs Roon Core headlessly on my network. End point is run on my NVA TFS media pc, USB out to my dac. Set up this way, definitely better than jriver in SQ.

WAD62
07-09-2017, 15:20
I bought a secondhand i5 machine on ebay which runs Roon Core headlessly on my network. End point is run on my NVA TFS media pc, USB out to my dac. Set up this way, definitely better than jriver in SQ.

Hi Ali, presumably you were running jriver on the NVA prior to this...

Do you use any USB isolation between the PC and DAC?

struth
07-09-2017, 15:23
just tried tidal with bubble upnp android ap to jriver. Worked seemlessly if a slight delay. Not the best option for music tho.

Ali Tait
07-09-2017, 15:26
Yes correct, then running Roon wholly there. I have a Jitterbug in use, but don't really notice any difference, presumably due to the Mytek having it's own internal clock. Also tried a medical type ethernet isolator. Again, no difference I could discern

WAD62
07-09-2017, 15:37
Yes correct, then running Roon wholly there. I have a Jitterbug in use, but don't really notice any difference, presumably due to the Mytek having it's own internal clock. Also tried a medical type ethernet isolator. Again, no difference I could discern

I suppose these things are Source/DAC dependent, I use an iFi USB3 ipower between my SBTouch and MDAC, and it's a definite improvement...

Ali Tait
07-09-2017, 16:19
Yeah thought about trying something similar. Might give it a go at some point, but it's sounding bloody good at the moment.

WESTLOWER
08-09-2017, 07:41
[QUOTE=struth;895949 Not the best option for music tho.[/QUOTE]
Why do you say that Grant?

WESTLOWER
08-09-2017, 07:49
Hi Adam...oh well worth a try...the 500 figure was just a coincidence in the end.

It seems a little unfair of tidal to 'throttle' LMS specifically...

EDIT; Ah I see, they're in bed together, hence throttling an opensource alternative to Roon, perhaps...? ;)

http://tidal.com/gb/about/roon

Indeed ! Bloody rotters

struth
08-09-2017, 08:46
Why do you say that Grant?

felt the sound was a bit reduced using this method. Its also a bit laggy and the graphics arent really top drawer either but thats an aside Adam.
Im trialling the beta for Spotify hifi at moment now. got the nod last night.:eek:

WESTLOWER
15-09-2017, 09:24
Ooh thoughts on Spotify Hifi grant...

struth
15-09-2017, 09:37
Sounds very good to me Adam. Program has had a few updates but Ive not hit any major flaws so far so may not be too long til it is out of Beta. Ive been trialing Tidal too and it sounds same for my ears on cans anyway. Spotify has the connect function so its better for me. Tidal has been cancelled, and I will see out the beta and then hope it is soon ready.