PDA

View Full Version : CD Rot

webby
04-02-2010, 16:21
Anyone had a cd that's suffered this?

I am on my 2nd copy of U2' The Unforgettable Fire having replaced the first one after it became affected by what's known as cd rot. Basically, the cd goes a golden colour and on playback you get a lot of static hissing sounds. When I replaced the first copy at HMV, I dunno 7 years ago, they knew about the issue and just gave me a new one. Now this 2nd copy has gotten cd rot too. HMV today would not replace it as they didn't have a copy with the same catalogue number.

I'd like to contact Island Records about this but I cannot find their contact details online.

Can anybody help?

Cheers

Lee

Spectral Morn
04-02-2010, 16:27
Yes I have a few with Cd rot.

Rosie Vella-Zazzo. It still plays, but for how long ? and I copied it to a hard drive in my Yamaha HDR1300..just for the day it does not play anymore. The Orb single Blue Room is a goner and I have a few others that are going, but I can't remember what they are.

The other big problem is sticky label syndrome..anyone come across that ?

Regards D S D L

DSJR
04-02-2010, 18:20
I have a Level 42 CD that has gone gently golden but still plays perfectly. The Dove CD Ozric Tentacles discs i have were a bit offy, although cheapo replacements on ebay are good still. The re-mastered discs from the mid nineties are out of absolute phase and don't sound good unless this is dealt with on playback (and it shouldn't make a difference on multi-track recordings...

Peter Galbavy
05-02-2010, 10:56
I have a number of them, mostly from the 80s. "The Greatest Love" compilation (I know, I know...) is a double CD with some sponge sheets inside it and I assumed that this was the cause, but I also now have some others including a Midnight Oil CD Single (which is a shame). My Rosie Vela is fine though ;-)

Haselsh1
05-02-2010, 13:31
Most of my Ozric Tentacles stuff is on vinyl and being steadily replaced with vinyl so I don't have a problem with their label but of the six hundred or so CD's I have, none of them have produced a problem, even the ones dating back to 1983 that were the first I ever bought.

Kris
05-02-2010, 14:02
I've only had one or two that suffered rot, including a two disc Dave Edmunds best of.

Worse though is many of my early CDRs. I was an early adopter of hard disc to CDR recordings using my Alesis Masterlink. I've had loads of problems with these early CDRs and the majority of my master recordings from that era (when I was most active in recording!) are unrecoverable due to the digital hash on the discs. :( :( :( :(

Filterlab
05-02-2010, 14:37
Not noticed any of mine going rotten, even the first two CDs I ever bought (Jan Hammer's Escape From Television and Electronic's Electronic) still play perfectly. I say play, I really mean import.

lovejoy
05-02-2010, 18:18
Island Records are owned by Universal Music. Might be worth dropping an Email here:
info@umusic.com

I have a couple of CDs that wen't 'rusty' too. Funnily enough those were both Island Records issues too.

Spectral Morn
05-02-2010, 18:25
PDO pressing plant were the worst offenders for producing crap Cds. Just look to see if PDO pressed it.

Regards D S D L

webby
05-02-2010, 18:45
Yep, it's PDO.

Do you think it's acceptable? I mean, I've bought it twice. Do they expect me to buy it again? I shall email them.

Spectral Morn
05-02-2010, 18:46
Yep, it's PDO.

Do you think it's acceptable? I mean, I've bought it twice. Do they expect me to buy it again? I shall email them.

No its not acceptable. I would ask for a new one.

Regards D S D L