PDA

View Full Version : Album Club, September 2017: Ella Fitzgerald - 'Fine and Mellow'

Album Club
31-08-2017, 23:25
The Album Club choice for September come courtesy of Martin (high.spirits) with Ella Fitzgerald's 'Fine and Mellow'. As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

Ella Fitzgerald - Fine and Mellow

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4417/35896326014_19dca0dd19_m.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ella_Fitzgerald

I thought I would go back in time with a bit of a classic.

I first listened to this album while auditioning some HiFi equipment way back. I went straight out and bought the LP.

I was taken by the production quality and sound stage, how all the instruments and vocals were clearly defined. I still play this album late at night with a good malt!

Fine and Mellow is a 1974 studio album by Ella Fitzgerald, accompanied by many famous jazz musicians.

It opens with the title track written by Billie Holiday. The album is subtitled Ella Fitzgerald Jams, and represents a return to the informal 'jam sessions' that Fitzgerald sang in on the Jazz at the Philharmonic Concerts concerts in the 1940s and 1950s.

Her performance on this album won her the 1980 Grammy Award for Best Vocal Jazz Performance.

You Tube :
oqEyJOrx4Pg

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/album/1vJfO7RbSk7Ck57cxpcfHm

petrat
01-09-2017, 10:14
Nice choice ... some jazz for a change :thumbsup:

Ella at 57, when she still had her voice. Top flight accompanists, but not given much airtime or many challenges. Liked the scat on Ellington's Rockin' in Rhythm, which had a bit of space for Tommy and Zoot to do their thing. Monk's 'Round Midnight is the most recorded jazz standard written by a jazz musician (according to Wikipedia), but I haven't often heard the vocal version, which I enjoyed here. Sorry, not keen on the first track, just a standard 12 bar blues, with nothing to interest me after the first few bars .. should have been the last track imo. Ella, as always, can do no wrong, and this would be a 9/10 for any other artist ... but, in the context of her awesome discography, maybe a 7/10?

Thanks, Martin, for bringing this to my attention.

WESTLOWER
01-09-2017, 10:40
yup good choice...
Peter, Great Version of 'Round Midnight' on Ella's 'Clap Hands Here comes charlie' LP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9mWyGcnOmU

struth
01-09-2017, 14:30
Being an Ella fiend I know this album and listened recently. Top class album, and all tracks are a decent length. Joe pass on guitar too. 8/10 from me as her cover of Billy's title song is excellent.

high.spirits
01-10-2017, 18:23
As it was my choice I thought I had better vote 9/10.
Hopefully a few more votes will come in due course.

Barry
02-10-2017, 19:57
Bloody brilliant! It's not often I do this with an Album Club choice, but I've just ordered myself a copy!

Nice one Martin. 9/10 from me.

high.spirits
02-10-2017, 20:35
Bloody brilliant! It's not often I do this with an Album Club choice, but I've just ordered myself a copy!

Nice one Martin. 9/10 from me.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

high.spirits
02-10-2017, 20:42
Nice choice ... some jazz for a change :thumbsup:

Ella at 57, when she still had her voice. Top flight accompanists, but not given much airtime or many challenges. Liked the scat on Ellington's Rockin' in Rhythm, which had a bit of space for Tommy and Zoot to do their thing. Monk's 'Round Midnight is the most recorded jazz standard written by a jazz musician (according to Wikipedia), but I haven't often heard the vocal version, which I enjoyed here. Sorry, not keen on the first track, just a standard 12 bar blues, with nothing to interest me after the first few bars .. should have been the last track imo. Ella, as always, can do no wrong, and this would be a 9/10 for any other artist ... but, in the context of her awesome discography, maybe a 7/10?

Thanks, Martin, for bringing this to my attention.

Your old 2M Black is still going strong Peter, thanks....

HackneyRF
30-10-2017, 08:03
I listened to this on the train going up to London. Really enjoyed it. When I eventually get my things out of boxes I will give it a proper listen. Nice choice. 8/10 from me.

high.spirits
31-10-2017, 09:25
I listened to this on the train going up to London. Really enjoyed it. When I eventually get my things out of boxes I will give it a proper listen. Nice choice. 8/10 from me.

:) Like your Guzzi engine pic.

HackneyRF
05-11-2017, 12:31
:) Like your Guzzi engine pic.

Love Guzzi engines big and small Martin. Very unique with an agricultural charm.

Tim
05-11-2017, 13:10
There isn't much Ella has produced I don't enjoy, but I'm not sure I know this, looking forward to giving it a spin. Just as soon as Courtney has finished.

EDIT:

Just finished listening to this and whilst it was enjoyable, it's not really the type of Ella I go for. A bit too 'cocktail lounge' and mainstream for my tastes if I'm being totally honest. Having said that it's not a bad album, certainly very well recorded and produced, but the material content is a bit jaunty if that makes sense. I prefer her songbook cycle albums more, like Cole Porter and her work with Louis Armstrong is high up my list of favourites.

Having said that it still deserves a solid 7/10 and thanks Martin - always good to find new music :)