PDA

View Full Version : AR4x advice/opinions

Lawrence001
29-08-2017, 21:21
I thought my vintage speaker days were over, but I might be getting a pair of these tomorrow, any advice on what to look for? I believe they have cloth surrounds so foam rot should not be an issue. Scratchy L pad is probably to be expected. Has anyone spent a bit of time with a pair and have an opinion?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

walpurgis
29-08-2017, 21:30
I rather like those. They're not everybody's cup of tea though.

The cloth cone surrounds can get a bit hard and as you say the controls can get noisy. If I recall, there's no proper crossover, just a cap in series with the tweeter.

I had a set of these sounding quite sweet on the end of a Rogers Ravensbrooke amp, although the tweeter is not the most revealing or refined. Wouldn't mind another pair to play with some time.

Edward
29-08-2017, 21:51
I've been using a pair of AR8Bxs in a separate room for years and love them. They were derived from the AR8s and after getting them refoamed (about 25 years ago!) they have been singing nicely. I think they go for only a few quid when they come up on the Bay.

Lawrence001
29-08-2017, 22:52
The later (late 70s onwards) AR speakers do seem to go cheap I wonder if there are some bargains to be had.

Light Dependant Resistor
29-08-2017, 22:56
Hi
I have AR7's which are very similar. I have used AR4x as well. With AR acoustic suspension you are getting really extended bass performance for size of cabinet. The AR vintage speakers, are just genuinely nice speakers to use. However deserve really good amplification. Yes pots can be replaced with fixed resistors if you can live without adjustment.

walpurgis
29-08-2017, 23:05
I have AR7's which are very similar

Had those too. Would like a good set of AR6 or even better AR5.

DSJR
30-08-2017, 10:41
Later AR's in cheaper vinyl-wrap boxes shouldn't be confused with the rather more solid (stolid?) early 70's models with mostly oatmeal coloured grilles. My own favourites of the time were AR7 and AR6, 2ax, 3a - especially in 'Improved' form, MST and LST and the 10 pi, the last of which is very rare in the UK. I don't remember the 4 and 5 models so much - I think it was the 5 I didn't care for but it's several lifetimes ago for me now.

No bloody help at all am I, but the caps should be reasonable and may not need to be replaced. The boxes were pretty well sealed so a slightly hard surround may not be as terminal as in a ported box and gritty level adjustors can be cleaned easily enough I think.

Macca
30-08-2017, 12:06
- I think it was the 5 I didn't care for but it's several lifetimes ago for me now.

Do you regenerate in a new body a bit like Doctor Who then, Dave?

hifi_dave
30-08-2017, 12:07
Don't get him going on Dr Who.

DSJR
30-08-2017, 15:54
:lol:

I've had a bit of a life since the mid 70's and several major chapters have now flown by since then, hence the 'different lifetimes' comment.

A shame however, that the show I once loved so much has deteriorated in recent times and is all but ending at Christmas. Whatever it's called afterwards, it won't ever be the same again, with that godawful actress taking over the lead role :hmm:

Lawrence001
30-08-2017, 20:26
I've got them and very nice they are too, condition is more than fair for their age compared to most I've seen but the main thing is they are fully functional. And I can see (hear) what the fuss is about with these vintage ARs. I do know I won't get round to using them however, I shouldn't have bought them really but I felt obliged after talking to the owner who was a lovely guy and has owned them for over 30 years (second owner). If anyone wants them for what I paid, 50 quid, come and get them from North London!

Lawrence001
30-08-2017, 20:36
Actually put that on hold a while, they would make a great second pair for an occasional different sound, and I've always wanted to try some cone tweeters for a change..

Edward
30-08-2017, 20:44
Ha, you changed your mind in 10 minutes Lawrence!

I was just researching the size of the speakers and then saw your change of mind. Ah too bad.

Now you need to update this thread with a pic ....

How do they sound by the way?

E

Lawrence001
30-08-2017, 21:02
No I really need the space I shouldn't have bought them. Pics coming shortly..

Lawrence001
30-08-2017, 21:06
At some point someone has put some screws in the grilles but shouldn't be a difficult fix with Velcro strips. A new capacitor on each tweeter would probably help too. A couple of knocks on the cabinet edges which can be touched up with some plastic wood I've got.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170830/0b4dbe6d657f3ea0c46eb3cc88f8c0fb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170830/887766580966f9a11d304eabd1017009.jpg

Lawrence001
30-08-2017, 21:08
Oh and one missing badge. But for 50 smackers.. I've seen them go for 2-3 times in similar condition.

walpurgis
30-08-2017, 21:12
Most I've ever paid is £18 at a boot sale! :) (and that was with both badges)

Lawrence001
30-08-2017, 21:30
Was that recently? I haven't seen anything like that at a boot sale since everyone started putting stuff on eBay.

walpurgis
30-08-2017, 21:31
Was that recently?

No. It's a good few years since I had any.

Lawrence001
30-08-2017, 22:06
It's a shame, I think the availability of easily accessible pricing information via ebay and Google has put paid to any reasonable chance of boot fair bargains in recent years.

Edward
30-08-2017, 22:19
But very often folks try out 'ambitious' prices using the Bay, Preloved and Gumtree. Sometimes nearly double what they actually go for. :-)

So how do they sound Lawrence? Did you have a look at the drivers and the cross-overs?

walpurgis
30-08-2017, 22:39
But very often folks try out 'ambitious' prices using the Bay, Preloved and Gumtree. Sometimes nearly double what they actually go for

Asking prices don't necessarily reflect normal selling prices. Bargains are still to be found (usually by me :)).

Lawrence001
31-08-2017, 06:32
No, not checked then out properly yet, I'd say a very warm full sound but still with treble detail, voices are fantastic,eg the chattering at the end of Pink Floyd money is amongst the best I've heard. Mids and bass are their strong point but with new caps I think they should be great across the spectrum.

Lawrence001
31-08-2017, 08:00
Asking prices don't necessarily reflect normal selling prices. Bargains are still to be found (usually by me :)).I always search by sold prices on eBay, there aren't many in the UK but £100-£150 is common in the US for these.

JohnMcC
02-09-2017, 19:06
Had a pair of AR6s for about 20 years. Loved them. Bought them in the Tottenham Court Road and carried them home on the train to Sussex - not an easy carry at each end, and I couldn't afford a taxi! When the surrounds dissolved I junked them . . . hated myself for that ever since, but I had no idea you could refoam them - this was pre-internet days. Now in some landfill, sob! :doh:

Light Dependant Resistor
02-09-2017, 19:47
Had a pair of AR6s for about 20 years. Loved them. Bought them in the Tottenham Court Road and carried them home on the train to Sussex - not an easy carry at each end, and I couldn't afford a taxi! When the surrounds dissolved I junked them . . . hated myself for that ever since, but I had no idea you could refoam them - this was pre-internet days. Now in some landfill, sob! :doh:

If you had absolutely original AR6's they would still be going, as they had cloth surrounds that in my experience
never perish. The AR6's I have are now 45 year old and work perfectly.

Which sort of says AR6's that have been replaced with foam suffered some other form of abuse. A viable alternative
to foam and refoaming and refoaming.. is to use cloth again, and there are a few You Tube videos on this, or easier still,
use rubber surrounds. Rubber slightly lowers the drivers mechanical compliance further still, and once again in my experience,
is an improvement over foam, or the original cloth.

walpurgis
02-09-2017, 19:59
If you had absolutely original AR6's they would still be going, as they had cloth surrounds that in my experience
never perish. The AR6's I have are now 45 year old and work perfectly.

All the AR6's I've seen in the UK, including new ones have had foam cone surrounds. There could have been variations for other countries I guess.

Lawrence001
04-09-2017, 17:48
I'm pretty sure the AR6 cones all had foam surrounds. The AR4x (and possibly the earlier AR4) were cloth, not sure about the lower number models.

RobHolt
10-09-2017, 12:19
Love old ARs.

I own a pair of AR4xa which is a slightly later version with a different tweeter.
Mine were in beat-up condition but I've restored them. They were in my room at Scalford a few years ago driven by a vintage Marantz receiver.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3805/12901217495_fa8925b902_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/kE37up)Scalford 2014 (21) (https://flic.kr/p/kE37up) by Tony Lonorgan (https://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkfishmedia/), on Flickr

The restoration was detailed over on the US Classic Speaker Pages (dedicated to fans of Advent, AR, KLH, Alison etc):

Link: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/8011-ar4xa-rebuild-fully-documentedwith-a-twist/#comment-98631

Bass response from these old designs is excellent thanks to the woofer being designed for use in small-medium sealed cabinets.

Rob

Lawrence001
10-09-2017, 19:00
Sold them, just don't have the time and space for vintage speakers anymore. Well maybe, I've got my eye on a pair with a faulty tweeter that I happen to have a spare on the loft for...