PDA

View Full Version : New (Change of Turntable Advice) appreciated.

Boyse6748
28-08-2017, 11:35
All this has come about due to a recent acquisition of an all time favourite tonearm. (Dynavector DV507 Mk II).

Anyway, now I have got this arm, what Turntable would you advise?

My current TT. (Townsend Rock 7) will have to go to fund whatever is chosen but I'm in a complete dilemma what to get or if it will even match up to the sonic quality of what I've all ready got. I know the arm will be better but as for the rest of it...... I have no idea.

As a complete uneducated punt, I was thinking maybe the Grail Audio 301 (completely rebuilt) and the SMD Granite plinth but that's just a guess in the dark. Or perhaps something more modern!

There also appears to be many differing views about Plinth materials, i.e slate / granite / wood and it seems to be a bit of a minefield as to what is best.... or even preferred.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy it all and then compare, so the sale will have to fund the purchase. "Let's hope I don't make the biggest mistake in ever"

I have been out of the general TT market for many years as I only have ever had the Townsend models, so I am not educated on what is good / bad or indifferent.

It must sound madness, but I really am happy with what I've got but the Dynavector has got me a little more than just curious.

budget (with the sale of the Rock / Merlin / SME) possibly about 4K.

I'm not suggesting you choose a TT for me, but any pearls of wisdom or advice really would be appreciated.

Best

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haselsh1
28-08-2017, 12:14
Seriously Peter, no advice from me, my turntable days are over but what a dilemma...? Lucky bugger

;)

farflungstar
28-08-2017, 12:15
The grail is an exceptional rebuild. I've pm'd you about the rock should you decide to sell.

walpurgis
28-08-2017, 13:22
My immediate thought was that something from Nottingham Analogue could be wonderful with that arm.

http://nottinghamanaloguestudio.co.uk/turn_tables/

cre009
28-08-2017, 14:08
Is there a problem with running the new arm on the Rock? I always thought the Rock was pretty good provided you can live with the trough.

farflungstar
28-08-2017, 14:11
That was my thought but the arm is to heavy for a suspended deck. Another thought might be a separate arm pod by speedy Steve - but I'm not sure if that's doable wth the rock layout...

cre009
28-08-2017, 14:26
That was my thought but the arm is to heavy for a suspended deck. Another thought might be a separate arm pod by speedy Steve - but I'm not sure if that's doable wth the rock layout...

I don't know enough about either component. I have heard a few versions of the Rock but not used one. The Rock 7 has some kind of air suspension. How heavy is the arm compared to others? I am using a Zeta which is supposed to be pretty heavy.

Boyse6748
28-08-2017, 17:44
It's a shame you have dumped this post in here with few responses. Thought is was worth more!!

Oh well, such is life!,,

cre009
28-08-2017, 21:00

I have been looking at the specs and operation - looks to be another order of heaviness compared with ordinary arms so I now understand why suspended decks are ruled out.

It may be possible to be creative and rig some kind of sprung block underneath the arm if installed on the Rock 7 to alleviate the weight issue but still have acoustic isolation. Other than that it has to be a deck with solid plinth and feet such as one of the better DDs that accept different arms or one of the idler drives. Martin T has a review here and at TAS where he is using a Technics.

struth
28-08-2017, 21:11
Be inclined to go The NA way too mighty fine decks

Bigman80
28-08-2017, 23:17
North West Analogue use slate in their Garrard 401 and the sound is sublime. The reasons were the ability to dissipate energy quicky. Give Dom a call, he is very knowledgeable and quite impressive with it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

farflungstar
29-08-2017, 07:08
I can't recommend the Technics SP10 highly enough if you decide to go the DD route.

Bigman80
29-08-2017, 07:24
I can't recommend the Technics SP10 highly enough if you decide to go the DD route.What makes it so special? I've never heard one but have always lusted after one. Odd I know lol

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Andy831
29-08-2017, 07:29
Peter

Again its a shame your so far away, you would be welcome to come and listen to my tables. I use two Garrards a 401 and a 301, the 401 has a PU7 and the 301 an SME 3012, both use a combination of slate and Plywood CLD plinth.

A Garrard would be my choice, but it is just that, a choice, because not all tables have the same sound characteristic so you really need to hear a few before making that choice. An Audio Grail refurb is about as good as it gets in the Garrard world, but consider Classic Turntables offerings as well, they rebuilt my 301 recently and did a splendid job.

http://www.classichifi-shop.co.uk/

Andy

farflungstar
29-08-2017, 07:46
When I upgraded tables I had two main priorities - noise (total lack of) and speed reliability. All idler drives have some intrinsic noise, belt drives do not offer rock solid speed and pitch (some will disagree). The Technics was the logical choice - wth a stethoscope there is absolute silence. Speed is perfect. You do however have one of the best designed tables on the market - I'd try and find a solution - speak to speedy Steve.

Boyse6748
29-08-2017, 08:21
Andy, thanks for the info.

At the moment I still have a Dynavector sitting on the shelf and can't bring myself to advertise the Rock. I really must make an effort to hear something else and will look at your recommendation. Getting rid of something you love is more difficult than I thought.

Please keep any other recommendations coming, at least in the short term.

Peter

stonehenge
29-08-2017, 08:27
If you love the Rock - how about the Mk2 Rock?

Andy831
29-08-2017, 08:37
Andy, thanks for the info.

At the moment I still have a Dynavector sitting on the shelf and can't bring myself to advertise the Rock. I really must make an effort to hear something else and will look at your recommendation. Getting rid of something you love is more difficult than I thought.

Please keep any other recommendations coming, at least in the short term.

Peter

Peter

I know I used an LP12 with an ittock for over 25 years, it was a real wrench selling it. I tried a Notts Analogue Spacedeck which was ok then back to Linn and then I found the Garrard transcription decks and my journey was over. (Tried various other decks as well in between none of which were to my taste.)

Good luck with this its a hard choice LOL

Andy

walpurgis
29-08-2017, 08:55
The Dynavector arm would of course work just fine on the Toshiba SR-370 turntable, which would more than match the ability of the Technics SL-1200/1210 and be much easier to mount the arm onto.

Here's one with a Mission 774 arm fitted.

https://s26.postimg.org/rxwihx3nt/mxcpo88bko.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

stonehenge
29-08-2017, 08:58
And the Pioneer PLC 1700 on sale on this site - and Jamie will manufacture an arm board for you :)

Frazeur1
29-08-2017, 13:48
Or maybe find a DV 500 turntable which the arm is designed to go on? Have no idea how much they are in your area, that could be an issue maybe. I have always liked the Well Tempered tables, and also the DV arms too, I have yet to actually hear a DV 500/507 combo though....

Boyse6748
29-08-2017, 14:34
Timothy,

Thanks!

A Good Dp500 (not so fab) or even better a DP 80 would be my TT of choice, but they are a rare as "Hens Teeth" in A1 Condition and about as expensive!!!

Custom plinths are also a rarity ..... well, Good ones are!!!,, ..... So it's back to the Garrard 301. At least I can get an "As New" fully rebuilt" version 301 in the U.K. Even though it may be 50+ years old.

A test of time!

Letting go a great TT for another is always a dilemma.

struth
29-08-2017, 14:42
left field...keep the rock, sell the dynovector and buy a better arm that suits the rock

Boyse6748
29-08-2017, 15:16
Grant, I've been waiting for that comment. Lol🤣🤣

Rain on my parade why don't you. Is there a better arm than an SME V.?? (Apart from the Dynavector)???

Just love your thought process !!!! I bet you wouldn't give the rock house room..... based on what I've read about your system.

God bless...... and thank you[emoji41][emoji106]

struth
29-08-2017, 15:54
depends on your pocket... a graham probably is. dunno about it on a rock tho. Guess you need a pod then if you want both Peter. maybe a thorens 124 deck could be considered too.

my system is pants by way :lol:

Boyse6748
29-08-2017, 16:43
I'm sorry, but I don't think your system is pants!!! Most would die for what you have. (Especially the speakers)

God... something else to think about ... A Thorens 124[emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]happy Days.

This is killing me.... let's hope it ends soon!! The pain is almost too much to bear. [emoji33]

Fuck me...... I just want to play some vinyl [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

oldius
29-08-2017, 16:58
Take your time. The Dynavector is a beautiful thing but not the easiest aesthetic match and I don't believe, having owned many vintage tables, that a Garrard will be the right aesthetic match.

I think you would be better looking at a Japanese direct drive turntable like the SP10, Sony TTS8000 or Denon DP75/80. All regularly become available and are outstanding decks that would be hugely expensive if made today.

Congratulations on the arm, it's a fantastic looking and sounding device.

Boyse6748
29-08-2017, 17:17
Thanks Geoff , my choice would have always been the Denon DP80 but as said before, trying to get something 10/10 is to say the least ..... difficult.

Also trying to get a suitable plinth would have been even more difficult.

SP 10's are also quite often tatty... perhaps the years........or misuse, don't quite understand??? Even though a great TT.

Your thoughts are much appreciated that's for sure.

Peter

farflungstar
29-08-2017, 17:26
My SP10 was mint. Not much to get tatty in reality as it has a very small footprint. I think it would match the dynavector very well.

Boyse6748
29-08-2017, 18:01
Adrian, I don't doubt that for one minuet and I guess your kit is fab. However, looking for something to knock your socks off. Visually and sonically.

Perhaps it just won't come to fruition. But got to try🤣🤣🤣

Boysey

Spectral Morn
29-08-2017, 18:08
Grant, I've been waiting for that comment. Lol����

Rain on my parade why don't you. Is there a better arm than an SME V.?? (Apart from the Dynavector)???

Just love your thought process !!!! I bet you wouldn't give the rock house room..... based on what I've read about your system.

God bless...... and thank you[emoji41][emoji106]

Yes, Graham Phantom, Tri-Plannar to name two.

Spectral Morn
29-08-2017, 18:13
Yes, Graham Phantom, Tri-Plannar to name two.

I own both and I own an SME 5. SME 5 get rid of the awful arm cable, that VDH cable is veiled big time. However even doing that the Phantom and Tri plannar are better arms. I have a SME Model 20, it sounds fab with the Phantom on it.

Boyse6748
29-08-2017, 18:19
Well, we live and learn. I'll let you know in due course,,,, when it's all gone tits up[emoji41][emoji41]

vinylspinner
30-08-2017, 18:20
Hi Peter,

The SP10 is an excellent turntable, it is about to be relaunched, http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/technics-sp-10r-direct-drive-turntable-price-release-date-specs-features-3275659

atb

Nigel

cre009
31-08-2017, 09:11
Again I will mention a suggestion I made earlier which was serious and may be achievable.

The design of the Rock 7 which has no external plinth provides access to underneath the arm mounting area. I would expect that the turntable may even topple over due to the weight of the DV arm when installed unless action is taken to prevent it doing so.

However I would suggest that a block could be placed under the arm mount with heavy duty spring(s) which would prevent it toppling and the spring would still provide acoustic isolation. It should be possible to avoid snagging the arm cable. Because the block/spring is taking most of the weight then the normal suspension adjustments should be viable.