PDA

View Full Version : Brain picking re noise in one channel.

agk
27-08-2017, 13:42
I've gone vinyl and it's great. However...

I'm not sure when my deck was last used in anger so have set it up as if from scratch using the manual and although it sounds incredible I have a small amount of crackle in the right channel.
I wonder if the following might have a bearing on this.
On first inspection the headshell was not sitting flat.
Looking at it front on it was tilted left to right with the left higher than right. I have put this level and wonder if it's previous position might be the cause of the crackle.
I love the sound of this cartridge so will score a new stylus as soon as funds allow but in the interim can anyone set my mind at rest please?

walpurgis
27-08-2017, 13:47
The cause could be so many things. Static, dirt on stylus or records, stylus or record wear, azimuth, bias, downforce, cartridge alignment, VTA and so on.

agk
27-08-2017, 14:20
I think I've eliminated static, record wear, azimuth, downforce and vta so far.
Cartridge alignment shouldn't have changed since fitting many years ago but I guess you never know.
So the list goes down.
Thanks Geoff.

Audio Al
27-08-2017, 14:29
Is it a dirty control knob contact ? on your pre amp / intergrated ?

cre009
27-08-2017, 14:41
At different places in the chain swap plugs and cartridge tags from left to right and see if the noise swaps.

agk
27-08-2017, 14:49
Valid points for sure guys but I missed those off my list of eliminated areas.
I have got this narrowed down to the deck.

agk
27-08-2017, 14:50
Cartridge tags I can try though. Good shout and I shall try that tomorrow on my day off.

agk
27-08-2017, 22:32
Ah it's almost fun to be a newbie again. Following some study I think azimuth may well be the problem.

To quote myself "Looking at it front on it was tilted left to right with the left higher than right. I have put this level".

In the morning I shall position the headshell as before and have a listen.

Thanks for the input folks.

agk
28-08-2017, 15:25
Problem solved. I took the stylus assembly off for a thorough clean and noticed that the cantilever wasn't aligned with the body.
A brave/stupid moment later i had straightened it and that seems to have sorted things.

agk
28-08-2017, 15:31
That said I am going to source a new stylus assembly asap.

struth
28-08-2017, 15:35
was just going to say a damaged stylus/cantilever. ive had same once

agk
28-08-2017, 15:39
Cheers Grant, that's me over the hump and committed to vinyls.

Audio Al
28-08-2017, 15:43
:eek: very brave

agk
28-08-2017, 15:53
I figured if it's knackered it's knackered and as I plan to replace it anyway I might as well go for it.
I really like this cartridge so apart from getting a n other for comparison it's a keeper.
Nice that the system is almost all of the same period. Now if I can just get that AU919 I should not have sold back I am absolutely positively certainly finished.