PDA

View Full Version : Decca Blue retip

fiddlemaker
24-08-2017, 14:57
Been living very happily for 3 years or so with a Decca Blue cartridge with original spherical stylus (checked, reconditioned and "podded" by John Wright shortly after I bought it).
I think the time is now approaching for a retip.
Does anyone have any opinions to share on the relative merits of the possible options (i.e. Sticking to original spherical or changing to elliptical or paratrace)?
The price difference between the options isn't really significant.
Cheers
John

hifi_dave
24-08-2017, 15:37
Back in the day, we used to have Blue and Grey Deccas sent to the Garrott brothers in Australia for tweaking and fitting their Parabolic stylus. This is akin to the Paratrace stylus and that is what I would fit if I wanted to use a Blue. These exotic stylus shapes are probably a bit more fussy with set up than a spherical but the results are worth taking the trouble.

I do still have 2 x Garrott Blue Deccas fitted with Nottingham Analogue Pods, which I use from time to time.

Boyse6748
24-08-2017, 16:25
Having had the Blue and now the Gold and Super Gold, all Re-Tipped by the fabulous Mr John Wright, I think the only answer is to ask his advice!!! [emoji41]. It really does depend on what Arm / TT you have.
John will give you a completely unbiased answer? Not based on price..... what what is best for your setup.

Sometimes the Decca Pod dulls the sound and you must already know that the Decca will dig out sounds that you will ever love or hate. (A very unforgiving cartridge) depending on the recording!!!!

Be guided by his advice is all I can say..... the man is a genius [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Good luck with whatever you choose!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DSJR
24-08-2017, 16:33
The Deccapod helps reduce the over 10k take-off 'zing' or 'twang' that many Deccas have. My own Decca Gold Microscanner was as sweet as a nut up top and I'm keeping mine until I hopefully have a deck and arm again able to do it proper justice.

I agree that John Wright is the man to ask. I mean, I believe he makes the bloody things.........

Boyse6748
24-08-2017, 17:04
Sorry for that, I didn't mean to state the obvious! John recommended for me the Decca Pod would destroy the sound on my particular set up.

Go for what's best for you, is what I meant.... not trying to be a cleaver bugger.

Just trying to give the best advice!!!

We ain't all the same[emoji41]

fiddlemaker
24-08-2017, 17:20
I have asked JW's advice, and he didn't really seem to have strong opinions either way. He also wasn't terribly informative when I asked him about possible arm choices, other than to tell me what he used. No criticism of the man intended at all, I just got the impression that this sort of advice just wasn't his thing :)

If i remember correctly i based my arm choice (NA 12 inch Ace Space) on a recommendation from Hifi Dave. This worked out splendidly!

The "podding" has already been done by the way, in case that wasn't clear from my original post.

Also by the way, I have to say I've been delighted with the Decca, and never found it temperamental at all. It sounds great on all my records, irrespective of genre or condition ( maybe one reason to stay spherical ?)

Boyse6748
24-08-2017, 18:07
Glad you like it ..... prodded or not. It's way better than most out there. If you like a very dynamic sound!!!

Never temperamental... as they say... set up correctly,,,, it's just fab.

Just do what you feel is best.

Happy days[emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

StuN
25-08-2017, 00:42
I had my Blue retipped and at the time he recommended an "extended contact" stylus used with a tracking weight of 1.8-2.0 grams on a level tone arm.

It tracks well and sounds great!

Barry
25-08-2017, 10:21
Yes John - go for a microscanner profile. It will raise the performance of your Blue to that of one fitted with the Weinz parabolic stylus.

The Deccapod is intended to help reduce colouration caused by the nasty 'biscuit tin' housing of the Mk. V and Mk. VIs, as well as avoid the decoupling nature of the red plastic contact bracket (which incidently the engineer's at Decca thought the latter desirable to reduce the amount of energy transmitted into the arm).

walpurgis
25-08-2017, 10:24
I actually dislike the Deccapod. Having owned Deccas with and without, I prefer the sound without.

Boyse6748
25-08-2017, 14:02
Agree, both my Gold and Super Gold are Decca Pod Free. Not a recommend by Mr Wright. My friends have gone this route and for me it destroys the Dynamics's. but it is arm dependent!!!! Or so I've been told!!!

Each to our own [emoji41]