PDA

View Full Version : Woodstock

Boyse6748
23-08-2017, 15:32
If this is in the wrong place, please advise.

Did any of you guys go to Woodstock (1969) a hippy in them days!!!!

A long, long time ago..... but was it good!!! My highest achievement .

Sorry, listening to Hendrix and Lynyrd Skinner.. just brought back loads of memories.[emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Any thoughts????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy831
23-08-2017, 15:37
Sorry I was only 14 at the time. I have the original album though (The Triple one) Just love Ten Years Afters version of "I'm going Home" (by helicopter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW5M5xljdCI

Boyse6748
23-08-2017, 15:44
A real shame Andy.... 14 is a bit too young, me just 19 at the. time......I've scoured the photos but never found me in the pictures.... mind you, with 400,000 people , it's no wonder.

It a memory I will never forget.[emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Andy831
23-08-2017, 15:53
I envy you mate I really do what a fabulous experience, So what was your favourite act / performance / song ? Assuming you were lucid enough to remember :smoking::smoking:

Macca
24-08-2017, 11:38
I was only 1 at the time and on the wrong continent but I have watched the video whilst tripping balls. Does that count?

Firebottle
24-08-2017, 17:44
I was at the Isle of Wight concert when Hendrix was on the bill.

I was on the side of the stage for the performance after sitting at a camp fire with the great man himself.

The Black Adder
24-08-2017, 18:04
Ah.. I wanted to start such a thread, just never got round to it.. So thanks for starting it [emoji16]

Anyone here who went to either have my highest respect..

Alan, really? Honestly?

WOW, that is uber cool.

Don't stop there, come on... Squeeze your memory bank, tell us more.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

Boyse6748
24-08-2017, 18:45
Thanks guys, it was more years ago than I wish to remember.... but I do[emoji41][emoji41]

I can't find me in the photo's , we all looked like sheep [emoji3] I was left of stage somewhere ..... about 50 yards from the stage....from what I remember. All I know is that was hair down to my shoulders... looking very cool, me thinks (so sad). Tee shirt / bell bottoms...... oh how sad!!!!

Mr Hendrix done it for me, the best live set I've ever heard!!!!

There must have been many others that attended !!!! I can't be the only wild child of the late 60's. From the U.K.

Just the dogs....[emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7] Happy days.

Can't really tell you what made me happy at the time..... I might be arrested!!!! In my latter years[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Edward
24-08-2017, 19:10
I was just 14 then but the festival made a big impression on me then and in subsequent years. I went to boarding school in Scotland in about 1972 and the album (3 if I recall) was played endlessly when we had the time. All the acts became seared in my consciousness which endures to this day. :)

And then at some point the film came out - ah what joy. When was that?

Prompted by this thread I may go and find the album again. I assume it was subsequently released as a cd.

Missed the Isle of Wight thing (too young I was) but went to several later on - Windsor comes to mind. Oh yeah I sneaked into the Hyde Park one where the Stones were playing in 1969. We lived near by and my sister (18 at the time) was helping out on some admin thing.

Andy831
24-08-2017, 19:54
Well as a lifelong fan of the Woodstock Music ant Arts Fair I have total respect for having been able to chat with someone albeit on a forum, (just wished I lived closer to you) I would love to hear how good "Suite Judy Blue Eyes" sounded. Half a million attended and I imagine most of those were American and in 50 years of collecting records your the first and only person I have talked too about it who was actually there :).

Edward
24-08-2017, 20:39
I've been looking at what is available to purchase. There is a ton of stuff out there - a mixture of legit and not legit stuff.

Seems like some folks created a Woodstock Project and researched the various sources then available.

Here is the link. (http://www.sahr.com/woodstockproject/)

In the meantime I'm buying the Woodstock 40 2 cd (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodstock-40-Various-Artists/dp/B002D3I0XQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) which apparently is highly regarded.

Boyse6748
24-08-2017, 20:56
Andy / Edward... happy memories that's for sure.

After that experience, I settled down and attended Strathclyde University and got my degree. Very lucky to have traveled the world as a Mechanical Engineer for the next 50 years... enjoying every minute..... not a complete waster after all [emoji41][emoji41]

An experience not to be missed.... thanks to my mum!!!! [emoji736][emoji736] who understood at the time...[emoji7][emoji7]

Would I have choose differently???..... me thinks not !!!!

P.S. Mr Paul Rodgers ( Free) was also a big influence,,,,, and still is to this day.

Music was never better🤣🤣🤣

Edward
24-08-2017, 21:13
I was at the Isle of Wight concert when Hendrix was on the bill.

I was on the side of the stage for the performance after sitting at a camp fire with the great man himself.

Alan, did you get to speak with Hendrix? :stalks:

Andy831
25-08-2017, 07:25
Thanks Edward I have book marked that site for a more thorough read later :thumbsup:

Firebottle
25-08-2017, 07:58
Alan, did you get to speak with Hendrix? :stalks:

OK here is the full story:

Myself and a female colleague (not girlfriend) took a coach down to the 1970 IOW festival with no camping or sleeping equipment. This was going to be a hippie experience, sleeping on the ground under the stars :rolleyes:

I was 17 at the time and had hair down past my shoulders. We soon discovered that it was quite cool at night so befriended a security chap who was responsible for the generator truck feeding the first-aid/hospital marquee. At least it was warm inside the truck although very noisy as the generator was run 24/7.

So the day comes when Hendrix is on the bill so with a bit of sweet talking the security chap gets the pair of us through into the outer enclave, then through into the inner enclave where the caravans were parked for all the artists.

We asked around and found which one was for Hendrix, from memory it wasn't large or particularly modern. Anyway it was dark now so we made a little 'camp fire' adjacent to this caravan to await the arrival of Hendrix, lord knows where we found the materials.
When he arrived he said to us 'keep it burning' then after spending maybe 15 minutes in the caravan he came and sat down by the fire.

Unfortunately I was far too awestruck and naive to talk to him but did get to see his performance from the side of the stage later.

:cool:

Andy831
25-08-2017, 09:40
That was some line up Alan, ( Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis, Jethro Tull, Ten Years After, Chicago, The Doors, Lighthouse, The Who, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Moody Blues, Joan Baez, Free, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Kris Kristofferson, Donovan, John Sebastian, Terry Reid, Taste, The Band.) Must have been a magical event.

My first was Reading 1971. When I look back at the acts on the stage that weekend I can really remember none of them other than East of Eden who left a mark LOL

Minstrel SE
06-09-2017, 02:38
I treasure a perfume holder that was worn at Woodstock by the American mum of an ex.

I have Woodstock videos and I lap up any clips and Woodstock stories. I was only 5 then but something just seemed so right about that time...the original summer of love. It just seemed a very special time for music and free love :)

I like the Hippy culture and have a view that they had the right vibe...before it got cynical again. Maybe Im just buying into a media interpretation of it all.

Maybe part of it lives on in Glastonbury and other festivals. I like to see people getting together and enjoying the music.