PDA

View Full Version : is Google listening to us?

stairpost
21-08-2017, 12:35
After an anecdotal chat with a friend, about ads that appeared on his browser for products he was discussing (but not searching the net for) with his wife, I did an internet search to see if there was any possibility that it could be more than just coincidence. It turns out there is a lot of very similar stories out there, and a Google product that records everything we say for the purposes of fine tuning our internet usage.

If this is the case, are you comfortable with it happening? Is it just the way digital life is these days or is it nothing more than paranoid conspiracy theory ramblings?

Macca
21-08-2017, 12:46
Had a look but other than it recording voice-activated searches, which I'd expect, I can't see that they are recording conversations in your home. That would be illegal under UK law.

southall-1998
21-08-2017, 12:52
Google must be admiring my earthy language ;)

S.

spendorman
21-08-2017, 12:53
Not really used Google search for years, use Duckduckgo: https://duckduckgo.com/

I was probably one of the first users of Google at work (a big engineering company), very quickly most people in the company used it on their workstations.

struth
21-08-2017, 13:16
they follow what you search for on web and hit you with adverts for similar stuff. You can opt out but will then just get random stuff. most sites that sell do this. Amazon for instance ... if you search amazon the later are on web you will often find stuff yo were looking at being advertised on same page.
As Martin says, your voice activated devices that have to go to cloud to fulfill request(ie all of them) store what your requests were, and can potentially be checked by cia etc. if it is just sitting on desk, it isnt recording, and thats why there is a opening command like alexa to wake it and for the unit to start recording your request. If paranoid there is a button on top to switch microphone off.

PS, most pc's dont actually have a microphone anyway

stairpost
21-08-2017, 14:19
they follow what you search for on web and hit you with adverts for similar stuff. You can opt out but will then just get random stuff. most sites that sell do this. Amazon for instance ... if you search amazon the later are on web you will often find stuff yo were looking at being advertised on same page.
As Martin says, your voice activated devices that have to go to cloud to fulfill request(ie all of them) store what your requests were, and can potentially be checked by cia etc. if it is just sitting on desk, it isnt recording, and thats why there is a opening command like alexa to wake it and for the unit to start recording your request. If paranoid there is a button on top to switch microphone off.

PS, most pc's dont actually have a microphone anyway

Not having mics on PCs was my first thought, but then it occured to me that everyone I know has a laptop. I did see a guardian article about listening software being installed without notice by Google.

I am aware ads are based on browsing history, that makes sense in many ways. I can't really believe they could be allowed to listen to a room, even if it is only ever going to be heard by software. I find myself stuck between feeling naive enough to believe it could happen and dismissing it as myth.

walpurgis
21-08-2017, 14:27
I clear my browsing history every day.

Virkon
21-08-2017, 14:38
This thread prompted me to look at app permissions on my android phone and there it is; Google has access to my telephone, microphone, sms texts, contacts and others.

stairpost
21-08-2017, 19:02
This thread prompted me to look at app permissions on my android phone and there it is; Google has access to my telephone, microphone, sms texts, contacts and others.

That, and this.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/23/google-eavesdropping-tool-installed-computers-without-permission

montesquieu
21-08-2017, 22:39

Precisely why I'd never make anything that runs android a permanent fixture in my life.

Or log into google. Ever. Even if I did have all forms of tracking switched off (which I do anyway as I once had to set up an account to run an android phone for a few weeks when I was travelling in Asia and my iPhone would take any local sim).

I don't have Facebook and I minimise location tracking on all iPhone apps. I use as blocking, popup blocking and use an app to prevent most apps from 'phoning home' from my Mac laptop.

You really can't be too careful of your privacy.

walpurgis
21-08-2017, 22:55
I've recently obtained a boot CD of 'TAILS' Linux O/S to try on the PC.

Booting directly from this means you don't even have to use the installed operating system. And you can still save stuff to your computer if need be.

TAILS runs TOR as the Browser and features privacy and anonymity. Used with an extra VPN makes you about as invisible as you can get on the net.

Also, nothing is left behind on your PC. Mind you, Toolwix Care 'timefreeze', which I use most of the time each day achieves that too.

Info: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3026721/linux/the-ultra-secure-os-beloved-by-edward-snowden-gets-a-major-upgrade.html

There are later versions.

stairpost
22-08-2017, 08:58

Booting directly from this means you don't even have to use the installed operating system. And you can still save stuff to your computer if need be.

TAILS runs TOR as the Browser and features privacy and anonymity. Used with an extra VPN makes you about as invisible as you can get on the net.

Also, nothing is left behind on your PC. Mind you, Toolwix Care 'timefreeze', which I use most of the time each day achieves that too.

Info: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3026721/linux/the-ultra-secure-os-beloved-by-edward-snowden-gets-a-major-upgrade.html

I have been reading about Tor, it looks like quite a serious tool.

stairpost
22-08-2017, 09:27

I have been reading about Tor, it looks like quite a serious tool.