PDA

View Full Version : Might this explain some instances of unpleasant behaviour on some fora?

Neil McCauley
14-08-2017, 13:43
Ordinarily I wouldn't draw attention to something like this because at face value it bears little relevance to the home reproduction of music. However, this afternoon perusing some of the other fora, I came across a post so full of bile on one site (you probably know where to look) that even my cynical senses became a little off balance for a few moments. And then, just by chance, I spotted the following text on the BBC site and so rightly or wrongly I saw an immediate congruence between these two experiences - and maybe some of you will too?

Neil

---//---

Katie Silver Health reporter, BBC News writes .....

People are happier if they are able to feel emotions they desire - even if those emotions are unpleasant, such as anger and hatred, a study suggests.

The results of the study, compiled by an international team of researchers, found happiness is "more than simply feeling pleasure and avoiding pain".

Researchers asked participants what emotions they desired and felt.

This was then compared to how they rated their overall happiness, or life satisfaction.

The researchers found that while people overall wanted to experience more pleasant emotions, they had the greatest life satisfaction if the emotions they experienced matched those they desired.

The cross-cultural study included some .....

Continues at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40900811

Joe
14-08-2017, 14:11
Personally, I'm very amiable and bear ill-will towards no-one. However, I'm unsure about the use of the word 'fora' here. I'd stick to 'forums' for multiples of 'forum'.

struth
14-08-2017, 14:13
sounds a lot of bull to me. pampering to the ignorant

Neil McCauley
14-08-2017, 14:14
Personally, I'm very amiable and bear ill-will towards no-one. However, I'm unsure about the use of the word 'fora' here. I'd stick to 'forums' for multiples of 'forum'.

Hello Joe. Yes, I tend to agree inasmuch as I'm uncertain regarding the appropriate collective term. Opinions seem to differ.

Neil

walpurgis
14-08-2017, 15:13
Sounds rather 'wishy washy' to me. By what possible yardstick would one quantify it?.........Don't tell me, there a scale against which to measure happiness etc.

Barry
14-08-2017, 19:25
Hello Joe. Yes, I tend to agree inasmuch as I'm uncertain regarding the appropriate collective term. Opinions seem to differ.

Neil

According to the OED, both plural forms are acceptable. I tend to use "fora", since I received a classical education, but admit it does look a bit fussy and pedantic to modern audiences.

Joe
15-08-2017, 10:27
According to the OED, both plural forms are acceptable. I tend to use "fora", since I received a classical education, but admit it does look a bit fussy and pedantic to modern audiences.

So did I, but it was at a lowly grammar school. However, as touched upon in the 'About as much use as ...' thread, internet forums are not actually forums in the classical sense of the word. They are perhaps, more akin to symposiums (or should that be symposia)?