PDA

View Full Version : west sussex bake off

karma67
08-08-2017, 20:57
sunday 27th of august in pulborough west sussex.
being held at ians place,we both use the same nakamichi pre amp for its very good phono stage,
but we are keen to hear others,this is a low key relaxed event with room for another 3 people to come along and join us,anyone interested is welcome to bring their own phono stage as well.

after the events at huddersfields bake off we have being sent down to us an nva phono 1 and 2 to try,it would be great to hear the firebottle one so alan if you read this please send one down.

the stages will be used through,
Musical Fidelity A3 and sony 700es amps,
Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774,2m black and townshend elite rock 2/alphason hr100,2m black turntables,
mordaunt short signifers speakers.

karma67
08-08-2017, 21:01
hey geoff youv'e got some tasty gear why not join us :eyebrows:

Ian7633
08-08-2017, 21:07
Yeah come on Geoff

walpurgis
08-08-2017, 21:13
Not sure my mobilty buggy would get that far! :eek:

karma67
08-08-2017, 21:17
i think the word alphason scared him off ian. :D
ive asked if nick/lurcher would be kind enough to send something down,now that would be a treat :)

Ian7633
08-08-2017, 21:30
i think the word alphason scared him off ian. :D
ive asked if nick/lurcher would be kind enough to send something down,now that would be a treat :)

And there's a 370/774 combo to make him feel welcome too.

Fingers crossed Nick will look kindly on us.

walpurgis
08-08-2017, 21:41
No promises, but I may turn up. There's a chance I could be away at the end of the month though.

And yes, I do have some interesting items that none of you may have heard! :D

Ian7633
08-08-2017, 21:43
No promises, but I may turn up. There's a chance I could be away at the end of the month though.

And yes, I do have some interesting items that none of you may have heard! :D
You would be very welcome

Bigman80
09-08-2017, 05:46
There will be a Firebottle there as previously arranged. May only have an OTP-MK2 available though. The stand alone Vivant isn't built yet.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Ian7633
09-08-2017, 08:42
There will be a Firebottle there as previously arranged. May only have an OTP-MK2 available though. The stand alone Vivant isn't built yet.

That's great news Olly, shame about the Vivant but good to have Firebottle represented.

Audio Al
09-08-2017, 09:16
Room for me ? :)

I can bring a

Phillips Black Tulip
Allbarry AP4
Allbarry AP11
Luxman LV103
Sony TA FB 940 R

Plus others if needed ;)

And if you need one my Ortofon ST80se SUT for MC carts

:D

karma67
09-08-2017, 09:20
yes mate,your more than welcome as would be the Sony TA - N7B :)

Audio Al
09-08-2017, 09:30
yes mate,your more than welcome as would be the Sony TA - N7B :)

I could bring it but I thought it was a phono stage bake off :)

montesquieu
09-08-2017, 09:36
Bummer I'd like to have come but will be off doing Tai Chi that weekend ...

walpurgis
09-08-2017, 09:42
I could bring it but I thought it was a phono stage bake off :)

Thread title doesn't say so.

karma67
09-08-2017, 09:46
i suppose it is in essence but its always good to hear new things,ian and i only hear what we own so the more kit the better is my feeling.( as long as you dont turn up in a luton! lol)

walpurgis
09-08-2017, 09:50
as long as you dont turn up in a luton! lol)

Why. How many flights of stairs have we got to cart stuff up? :lol:

karma67
09-08-2017, 09:53
ha none thank god,it can all go straight through his french doors :)

Audio Al
09-08-2017, 09:54
I think Geoff and myself could fill a 7.5 tone truck :D

karma67
09-08-2017, 10:19
i bet you bloody could lol
ok heres an update as to whats been very kindly loaned to us on the day.

Firebottle OTP MK2 phono stage
longdog audio JFET phono stage
nva phono 1 and phono 2.

Arkless Electronics
09-08-2017, 11:11
If it's for phono stages and all above board I could I guess send the Arkless 640P demo unit over if interested?

karma67
09-08-2017, 11:12
by all means matey.

Arkless Electronics
09-08-2017, 11:31
PM me with an address etc then and I'll try and intercept the process of having the demo unit sent back to me which I've already started... I'll have to have it sent over kind of now for return after the bake off.
I'm rather trusting of the arrangements for this bake off in that it will be run fairly ;)

karma67
09-08-2017, 11:35
have no fear,it will be a fair and honest event.

Jimbo
09-08-2017, 11:38
have no fear,it will be a fair and honest event.

Maybe do the bake off blind Jamie if you can - nothing fairer than that!:)

CageyH
09-08-2017, 11:48
That will make cueing the records interesting. :ner:

Bigman80
09-08-2017, 11:56
PM me with an address etc then and I'll try and intercept the process of having the demo unit sent back to me which I've already started... I'll have to have it sent over kind of now for return after the bake off.
I'm rather trusting of the arrangements for this bake off in that it will be run fairly ;)

Well done, Jez. I am really pleased your unit is participating. Even though i won't be there, the guys going are trustworthy guys with no agenda. Outstanding result!!

Jimbo
09-08-2017, 12:03
That will make cueing the records interesting. :ner:

:lol:

Arkless Electronics
09-08-2017, 12:42
Well done, Jez. I am really pleased your unit is participating. Even though i won't be there, the guys going are trustworthy guys with no agenda. Outstanding result!!

Unlike someone who has been trying to get his stooges to borrow my loan unit and then pan it.... as I'm sure you are aware.

Bigman80
09-08-2017, 12:46
🤐

Arkless Electronics
09-08-2017, 12:48
I am aware. I believe you recieved a tip off about it from a very diligent member of this fine forum!

Oh more than one actually:) Thanks guys;)

Ian7633
09-08-2017, 12:54
Rest assured Jez that Jamie and myself want this to be a fair and unbiased event, there will be no shilling or favouritism and ALL equipment kindly loaned to us will be treated with the greatest of respect.

karma67
09-08-2017, 12:59
chaps can we please leave the politics and name calling out of this thread,the last time it started the thread was closed.
in all honesty i dont give a fig who makes what and the history,i just want to hear some good phono stages round my mates house.

Bigman80
09-08-2017, 13:01
chaps can we please leave the polictics and name calling out of this thread,the last time it started the thread was closed.
in all honesty i dont give a fig who makes what and the history,i just want to hear some good phono stages round my mates house.Fair point Jamie. I'll retract my comment and replace with a smiley.

Bigman80
09-08-2017, 13:02
Rest assured Jez that Jamie and myself want this to be a fair and unbiased event, there will be no shilling or favouritism and ALL equipment kindly loaned to us will be treated with the greatest of respect.No doubt about that Ian. Both you and Jamie are top guys who I trust to be honest. I'm looking forward to the write ups.

PalsHuffMor
09-08-2017, 13:55
Very encouraging to see more bake offs happening.

Enjoy, look forward to the write ups.

Arkless Electronics
09-08-2017, 17:20
In light of new information received I will not now be sending my unit to this bake off.

karma67
09-08-2017, 17:24
what information?

Spectral Morn
09-08-2017, 17:27
Folks we are watching this thread. No more bad language, no more mentioning of that other place or hinting at personalities there.

Take contentiousness to private messages please.

Audio Al
10-08-2017, 03:50
In light of new information received I will not now be sending my unit to this bake off.

I might bring one then

karma67
10-08-2017, 08:15
sweet as.:cool:

karma67
10-08-2017, 10:39
to whom it may concern,
ive just spoke to ian and we are both sorry to say that this little bake off is cancelled.
it was shaping up to be a good day with some good gear to listen too,and also we were looking forward to meeting geoff (Walpurgis ) and al (audio al) and whoever else was planning to come.

the reason for the cancellation is simply,its all getting too much for ian and i,what should be so simple a thing to arrange has turned into a bloody nightmare,there are emails being sent around that bring my character and motives into question ,i really don't need that,you've never met me or know me.

i repeat! the original intention of the get together was a social thing as well as getting to hear some good equipment that was all it ever was,no more no less.
new members are told this is a friendly forum,it is 99% of the time,that 1% have fucked what could have been a nice day for all going.
cheers!

struth
10-08-2017, 10:43
name names if youve been hassled by membership, or at least send them to a mod.

walpurgis
10-08-2017, 10:59
It's a shame to hear this has been called off.

And yes. Shit stirring or harrassment are not acceptable. It would be good if Mods could be advised as to what has been going on. By PM of course.

tapid
10-08-2017, 11:01
Sad. If some people can be so nasty over a bit of hi fi you kind of fear for the future of humanity.

Ian7633
10-08-2017, 11:04
I echo what Jamie has said and would like to add from a personal perspective it was a very big decision for me to host the bake off in my home due to my health issues. What was going to be a pleasant, interesting and relaxed event has become an unwelcome strain on me. Jamie has put a lot of effort into this and has been rewarded with slurs against his character by persons who don't have the courage to make their opinions public and allow him to defend himself, shameful.
I would like to say thanks to those who were genuinely interested and to those who were going to loan us equipment.
So there it is, a nice idea gone sour.

mikeyb
10-08-2017, 11:19
Playground bullies win again - sad sad sad.

Maybe time to start involving the authorities if it is personal and abusive :eyebrows: need to start calling them F**K Offs instead of bakeoffs :lol:

Mind you, maybe I'm just a stubborn so and so but I would have held it regardless, maybe we need to do a Scottish one and let them see how hospitable we are :D

Audio Al
10-08-2017, 11:20
:(

As allways the minority spoil things for the majority

mikeyb
10-08-2017, 11:27
Sad. If some people can be so nasty over a bit of hi fi you kind of fear for the future of humanity.

It's already F****D!

Bigman80
10-08-2017, 11:34
It's a shame this has gone south.

The recent bakeoff in Huddersfield was a great success and really aided the growth of sharing knowledge and experience. Exactly what they are supposed to do.

Ian and Jamie are top guys and have been happy to help me with any questions I may have had.

karma67
10-08-2017, 11:46
well and im sorry to say(tongue in cheek) oliver you've done more to promote the 'other phono' stage' publicly than anyone lol,the get together wasn't even being held at my place and yet im the glove puppet/acolyte ,na sorry im not having it,its not just or fair.

Ali Tait
10-08-2017, 11:54
Playground bullies win again - sad sad sad.

Maybe time to start involving the authorities if it is personal and abusive :eyebrows: need to start calling them F**K Offs instead of bakeoffs :lol:

Mind you, maybe I'm just a stubborn so and so but I would have held it regardless, maybe we need to do a Scottish one and let them see how hospitable we are :D

I'm quite happy to host one Mike.

mikeyb
10-08-2017, 12:04
I'm quite happy to host one Mike.

Me too :)

Bigman80
10-08-2017, 12:40
well and im sorry to say(tongue in cheek) oliver you've done more to promote the 'other phono' stage' publicly than anyone lol,the get together wasn't even being held at my place and yet im the glove puppet/acolyte ,na sorry im not having it,its not just or fair.You're quite right, mate. I have!

Without the truth about why this has been pulled, it seems a bit cloak and dagger SO Here's the truth:

Jez Arkless mysteriously pulls out of the bake off due to "Information recieved" Then Firebottle received information displaying concern that Jamie is a buddy of "he who can't be named"

As far as I can see there is no history to support this and after chatting to Jamie, I can confirm that I don't believe that to be the case.

I feel the need to speak up as I value Jamie and Ian very highly.

I have spoken to the mods about this and they are aware of what is going on. There isn't a pandemic of bullying or harrassing anyone, but calling into question someone's motives or impartiality without displaying proof, just isn't cricket. Publicy or privately.

Personally, I hope Jamie and Ian reconsider and the bakeoff goes ahead. It's a great opportunity to hear some great gear and find out what sound you really want and should be hearing. I am fully in support of this bakeoff and have 100% confidence in the impartiality of both guys.

PS. I don't know who sent the information.

Audio Al
10-08-2017, 12:54
Why have it as a bake off :scratch:

Why not some enthusiasts enjoying hifi and music without reports

p147
10-08-2017, 13:16
Really sad, I would liked to have attended and if you both still change your minds then if invited count me in.
Cheers and chin up :):):)

walpurgis
10-08-2017, 13:36
Why not some enthusiasts enjoying hifi and music without reports

My thoughts too.

To be honest, any attempts to derail a get-together of mine would just make me more determined to have one. I simply don't care what others say. Let the spoilers do their worst, I wouldn't give a toss.

Ali Tait
10-08-2017, 13:47
+1

struth
10-08-2017, 13:50
i dont have bake offs coz nobody would come:lol:

walpurgis
10-08-2017, 14:03
i dont have bake offs coz nobody would come:lol:

Not our fault you're up by the Arctic circle! ;)

struth
10-08-2017, 14:07
i,m used to the cold shoulder:ner:

Mr Kipling
10-08-2017, 18:39
Surprised it took this long. I was just thinking this last night.

Accept the fact that forums attract all manner of personalities, including the petty and narrow minded - that can't see past their own nose end.

Accept that - and don't let yourself be dictated by them. I certainly wouldn't.

And how come the bake off is now seen as having no value as an indicator to the worth of a piece of gear?

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

alphaGT
11-08-2017, 06:42
This truly is unfortunate, if nothing more, it's a great opportunity for stereo buffs to get together and have a beer and party together! Conversation! Brotherhood and good tidings. With some great audio to listen to, sounds like an awesome time! And I was going to bake a pie!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tiny-Cappo
14-12-2017, 12:48
You guys have very different ideas over what my American cousin thinks a bake-off should be and trust me there is no cake :) Might chill a few people out too :D

I have a couple of homemade phono stages I would be very interested to get your opinions of :) if anyone hosts one in the south in the future.

struth
14-12-2017, 12:55
You guys have very different ideas over what my American cousin thinks a bake-off should be and trust me there is no cake :) Might chill a few people out too :D

I have a couple of homemade phono stages I would be very interested to get your opinions of :) if anyone hosts one in the south in the future.

a weed party i guess

Cycleallday
14-12-2017, 14:04
Reply deleted

Cycleallday
14-12-2017, 14:08

I also live in Hampshire (Andover) and your welcome to pop over and compare them to a few I own.

Offer also open to anybody else who may live nearby.

Pm me if you want to take up the offer.

Mel

montesquieu
19-12-2017, 16:23
I also live in Hampshire (Andover) and your welcome to pop over and compare them to a few I own.

Offer also open to anybody else who may live nearby.

Pm me if you want to take up the offer.

Mel

I'm not far from Andover .... potentially interested if dates work.

Cycleallday
20-12-2017, 13:34
I'm not far from Andover .... potentially interested if dates work.

Would be a pleasure Tom.

Will pm you some contact details details.