PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please!!!!

clarkey555
08-08-2017, 16:18
Has anybody had any experience using a non Rega cart on a Rega deck with an RB303 tonearm. I have recently had a new cart fitted (HANA SL MC) and whilst I was informed by the techy who fitted the cart that no shims were needed for vta I am not so sure just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this or could suggest ooooot in the way of sound advice
Cheers chaps

karma67
08-08-2017, 16:45
how is the tonearm tube sitting? level with the platter?
as a rough guide for ball park vta the bottom of the cartridge should be parallel with the record.

cre009
08-08-2017, 17:30
No experience of your gear to help directly but what is the cause of your concern? Does the setup look wrong or is the sound not dialled in to your liking.

It is possible to adjust vta by using a different thickness mat. I am one of the few who is not convinced that mats have a sound other than as a means of varying vta. Look for the arm/cartridge to be level as per Jamie's advice and then adjust tracking force to dial in the sound.

clarkey555
09-08-2017, 15:53
Cheers Jamie and cre009
Thought I would post some photos my mate said the cart is definitely not straight
What's your thoughts
This is the closest I could get without blurring the images
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/0cd24ad051d963b3107425cce8df067a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/bc9c0fe8fc0f8ffad996321dbd0dff93.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/2e50fbea77954e323ca679de49d12fcd.jpg
Muchos gracios gringos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cre009
09-08-2017, 16:10
If the tonearm is raised from parallel the result is slightly brighter treble. The reverse has the opposite effect and will reduce treble.

In general this can be overcome by adjusting tracking force where increased tracking force will add to the bass but if too much will be flabby. Decreasing tracking force will brighten the sound but too much will cause the sound to be thin with a risk of mistracking.

The impact of all this will also depend on the tolerance of the cartridge. Some cartridges can be fairly forgiving and provide some latitude but I have no idea about the Hana's.

Barry
09-08-2017, 16:16
First of all, are you happy with what you're hearing? If so leave alone.

However some cartridges are fussy about VTA, and the Rega arm is not designed to be able to easily adjust this (the designer, Roy Gandy doesn't believe VTA is important). For most cartridges the starting point is to have the arm axis parallel with the record surface, or in your case the bottom of the cartridge parallel with the record. Looking at your photos, the pivot end of the arm appears to be a little too low - but it's not clear if the bottom of the cartridge body is parallel to the top (where it is bolted to the 'headshell').

How is the arm attached to the turnable? Is there a grub screw to fix the bearing column to an arm collar? If so, try raising the rear of the arm by say 1mm.
If however the arm height is controlled by washers fitted to the arm collar, then the only way to adjust arm height and VTA will be by fitting extra washers or one that is thicker.

hifi_dave
09-08-2017, 16:23
If you are happy with the sound, then leave well alone. If you feel that the arm needs to be parallel, then Rega do offer 2mm 3 point spacers to raise the rear of the arm.

walpurgis
09-08-2017, 16:26
VTA adjustment spacers are available in sets from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-3-point-mounting-VTA-Adjustment-Spacer-Shim-Set-RB301-RB251-RB202-RB101-ETC-/192247167293?hash=item2cc2d2f93d:g:2hwAAOSwgZ1Xq4a a

These are easy to fit, but I'd suggest removing the cartridge before doing any work on the turntable.

karma67
09-08-2017, 16:29
it does look a bit tail down to me as well,what cartridge did you use before the hana? is the hana a taller cartridge?
if the answers yes and by a lot then you most probably should raise the tonearm up to compensate.

a handy tip to check ballpark vta is to get some graph paper and cut a credit card size piece of it and stick it to some cardboard,you can then place it on the spindle side of the head shell and eye through to see how level the head shell is.

PalsHuffMor
09-08-2017, 17:12
I used an Ortofon 2m Black on an RP6 for a while. Quite a bit deeper body than the Exact. I used the Michell VTA adjuster which has the advantage that you don't have to remove the arm (once the adjuster is fitted) to adjust VTA for different cartridges. I didn't detect any obvious difference in sound.

CageyH
09-08-2017, 17:33
http://www.analogueseduction.net/michell-engineering-upgrades-parts-accessories/michell-engineering-rega-3-point-vta-adjuster.html

clarkey555
09-08-2017, 17:52
First of all, are you happy with what you're hearing? If so leave alone.

However some cartridges are fussy about VTA, and the Rega arm is not designed to be able to easily adjust this (the designer, Roy Gandy doesn't believe VTA is important). For most cartridges the starting point is to have the arm axis parallel with the record surface, or in your case the bottom of the cartridge parallel with the record. Looking at your photos, the pivot end of the arm appears to be a little too low - but it's not clear if the bottom of the cartridge body is parallel to the top (where it is bolted to the 'headshell').

How is the arm attached to the turnable? Is there a grub screw to fix the bearing column to an arm collar? If so, try raising the rear of the arm by say 1mm.
If however the arm height is controlled by washers fitted to the arm collar, then the only way to adjust arm height and VTA will be by fitting extra washers or one that is thicker.

Mmmm so so Barry just expected more tbh the arm is attached to the plinth with 3 point fixing

clarkey555
09-08-2017, 17:55
it does look a bit tail down to me as well,what cartridge did you use before the hana? is the hana a taller cartridge?
if the answers yes and by a lot then you most probably should raise the tonearm up to compensate.

a handy tip to check ballpark vta is to get some graph paper and cut a credit card size piece of it and stick it to some cardboard,you can then place it on the spindle side of the head shell and eye through to see how level the head shell is.

Jamie I had an exact cart on previous to the hana so no real issues with vta and I agree the cart doesn't seem right not level at all

clarkey555
09-08-2017, 17:57
VTA adjustment spacers are available in sets from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-3-point-mounting-VTA-Adjustment-Spacer-Shim-Set-RB301-RB251-RB202-RB101-ETC-/192247167293?hash=item2cc2d2f93d:g:2hwAAOSwgZ1Xq4a a

These are easy to fit, but I'd suggest removing the cartridge before doing any work on the turntable.

Nice idea Geoff shame about the lid

clarkey555
09-08-2017, 17:58
http://www.analogueseduction.net/michell-engineering-upgrades-parts-accessories/michell-engineering-rega-3-point-vta-adjuster.html

Nice shout Kev looking into that

clarkey555
09-08-2017, 18:00
I used an Ortofon 2m Black on an RP6 for a while. Quite a bit deeper body than the Exact. I used the Michell VTA adjuster which has the advantage that you don't have to remove the arm (once the adjuster is fitted) to adjust VTA for different cartridges. I didn't detect any obvious difference in sound.

Hi Christopher how did you cope with the lid must have been tight

walpurgis
09-08-2017, 18:00
Nice idea Geoff shame about the lid

What do you mean? :scratch:

DiveDeepDog
09-08-2017, 18:04
I'm not familiar with the cart dimensions, but it looks like you've got 3mm acromat on there. Thats at least 2mm higher than the Rega felt one.

I'd suggest somethings amiss?

Arkless Electronics
09-08-2017, 18:53
You may get better results with a higher resistance set of loading plugs with the Hana SL.... The stock ones supplied with the Arkless 640P are 100R but I had a look at the Hana spec and 470R appears more suitable (it says >400R recommended). I can supply a set for £15 delivered if you don't wish to make up a set yourself.

karma67
09-08-2017, 18:56
I'm not familiar with the cart dimensions, but it looks like you've got 3mm acromat on there. Thats at least 2mm higher than the Rega felt one.

I'd suggest somethings amiss?
thats a good idea,try removing the mat and see what its like.

clarkey555
09-08-2017, 19:07
What do you mean? :scratch:

Geoff I have heard that there may be problems closing the lid on a Rega turntable if using vta adjustment even using 2mm spacers a workaround would be to pack the hinges maybe

walpurgis
09-08-2017, 19:20
Geoff I have heard that there may be problems closing the lid on a Rega turntable if using vta adjustment even using 2mm spacers a workaround would be to pack the hinges maybe

I didn't realise it was that tight. Surely there's a bit of room?

I don't know about your model, but on the RP3 there used to be a little leeway in the main bearing mount, so the platter could be lowered a bit. I think a washer or two may have been needed. It's years since I looked at a Rega.