PDA

View Full Version : So - what do you play????

abc1337
28-01-2008, 20:41
I've taken up learning to play Piano - I have a Roland A90ex and have a Zimmermann upright on order for when the room alterations have been finished.

I'm taking lessons and will go through my grades as per my teachers guidance - he's been spot on so far.

So, what instrument do you play? Have you learned it yourself? etc etc

Filterlab
28-01-2008, 22:36
Piano, keyboards, touch of the guitar (fingers too big really), touch of percussion plus I am a recording engineer and I do mastering, mixing & remastering and a bit of session keyboarding for my mate.

I taught myself to play the keyboard when I was 11 (31 now) and followed about 10 years later with the piano. Yes I know they look like the same instrument but they are quite different in approach and actually use an entire different set of skills.

I find the keyboard the most fluid and creative though especially with the power of composition software these days. Currently working on my third album, I have already completed two albums (1999 - 'You'll Never Understand', 2004 - 'London Nights') and one EP (2006 - 'And there it was, my friends...'), so far on the new album I have 3 tracks finished but only two of those mastered.

Don't have enough time these days really.

Rick O
29-01-2008, 00:28
I'm a diploma standard pianist, and have been playing for 15 years. I love playing piano, but in band situations (unfortunately) keyboards are far more convenient. I'm currently playing in a band called Liquid Sky (see avatar and website), who have just released an album last week. My current gig-rig is a Korg Triton Le 88 and a Yamaha CS1x. At home I have a Yamaha UX3 piano.

And with regards to what Rob said, yes they are different, but it is far easier to go from Piano to keyboards than vice versa.

I also play tuba, but currently without an instrument.

abc1337
29-01-2008, 09:06
Diploma standard, eh? I can only dream of getting to that standard - well done!

Am doing my grade 2 in April, having got my 1 at Xmas...

Filterlab
29-01-2008, 12:51
...but it is far easier to go from Piano to keyboards than vice versa...

Unfortunately I went the other way! :eek: :(

Rick O
29-01-2008, 13:31
Yeah, once I graduate from this comp sci degree, I'm determined to get back to working towards my dipABRSM.... mainly just so I can have more letters after my name :D

abc1337
29-01-2008, 15:06
Well i started on 19/3/07 - and got 140/150 at my grade 1 - so was well chuffed with that - my teacher is priming me for a 2 in April and 3 at Xmas - but the 3 involves a theory test as well...ouch!

Rick O
29-01-2008, 18:02
Congratulations on getting a distinction! That's a high standard to live up to for your grade 2.

I wouldn't worry too much about the theory test, the ABRSM theory teaching booklet is more than capable of telling you exactly what you need to know for the appropriate theory exams.

abc1337
29-01-2008, 18:27
Hi Rick,

I'm just happy to have passed - but I do enjoy practising and get a quirky pleasure out of doing scales and arpeggios! How sad am I?

I'll just be happy to pass my other grades - but i wish I'd have taken piano up years ago!!!

Never mind...

Current piano pieces: Bourree - L Mozart, The bee by Rowley, & Garage sale by Pam Wedgewood. For pleasure: Swan lake theme at grade 3 level - ouch!

Marco
29-01-2008, 19:00
Andy,

Nice one, and congratulations :)

Is there no end to your talents?

Marco.

Rick O
29-01-2008, 19:44
I think Pam Wedgewood is a great composer... although I never really played any of her stuff, my sister has been learning with it, and not only are the pieces designed to be specifically for certain standards, they're also really good music.

If possible I recommend looking into more of her stuff.

abc1337
29-01-2008, 20:06
Of all things, I like playing Abba!

But then again I like playing all sorts, but seem to play waltzes quite well...

Gromit
08-02-2008, 07:38
I started playing the Clarinet at the age of 6, after having learnt to read music at the same time as I learnt to read words (my dad was/is very musical). I passed an ARCM performer's diploma at age 15, then basically sat on my *rse for the next 3 years doing not very much. In 1983 I auditioned for the various music colleges around the UK but, having got sick of education after doing my A-levels, decided that joining the RAF as a musician might be a laugh - it was, and has been for the last 24 years. I've been principal clarinettist with the RAF Central Band since 1989.

'Outside' I do a fair bit of freelance playing, and have played with the BBC Concert Orchestra on a few occasions. I was also lucky enough to do a lot of work and recording with Ron Goodwin which was always a joy. I also teach Clarinet in my spare time.

Other instruments?

Started playing the piano at age 9, got to Grade 8 and gave up which I regret deeply. Also played the Tuba, as I thought it'd be fun, and got to Grade 7. When I leave the RAF I'm going to start playing it again - reckon it'll be a pleasant change. :)

In 2006 I achieved a dipABRSM diploma in conducting and will hopefully go for the LRSM next year.

sugdenman
08-02-2008, 13:11
Hi guys, played Bass guitar in various Bands during the 70"s 80"s and part of 90"s. ranging from cabaret/ soul band to prog rock and American/stones type bands. Don"t play very much these days due to friends late fatherhood/motherhood, and in my case illness slowing the fingers down......Pride and joy...64 Fender precision Bass.

Tom

Mike
13-02-2008, 19:31
Got my first guitar 40 years ago, age 5(ish) on a holiday in Spain. Did just about nothing with it till age 15(ish), then bought my first electric job (as you do at that age) when 'punk' was kicking off. Played pretty hard for the next 15 years or so and got rather good, even if I say so myself.

Then marriage & kids 'n stuff happened and guitars and hifi and etc etc... got 'shelved' for too many years. Not so long ago I bought an acoustic still thinking I was some sort of axe god! :guitar: Oh nooo! Not at all!
Found myself in the position of very much having forgotten more than I know and having just about no skills left at all!
So, I've started practising pretty seriously every day and I'm sitting here now with VERY sore fingertips and forearm cramp (steady now!!), in the slightly vain hope that I might get back to something like the 'form' I had in my late 20's!!! Oh well!

Cheers,
Mike.

P.S. I also mucked about with didgeridoo's for a while, still got some somewhere. Very strange beasts.

DanJennings
07-10-2009, 12:14
I play the violin to a reasonable standard (grade 7) although I haven't played it in a while... I have both acoustic and electic...

I dabble on guitar, but I'm fairly hopeless, and I can play bass a bit.

HighFidelityGuy
07-10-2009, 13:38
I used to play violin :violin: to a reasonable standard as well. I was the leader of the School orchestra and was 2rd desk, first violins in the local youth orchestra. That will make sense to the other classical musicians. ;) All the practicing for my A-Level music etc kind of burned me out and it stopped being fun. So for the last 10 years or so I've barely picked up my violin. I keep meaning to get back into it but never get round to it. I also used to play drums to an average standard and played in a "band" with some of my mates. I have fond memories of us playing Metallica at a school talent show thing. Great fun. :fingers:

Themis
07-10-2009, 14:44
Used to play piano (12yrs old), even played solo in a concert... then gave up, because of various family reasons. Pity.
Started playing bass and harmonica when I was 18, continued for 4-5 years, then stopped when I started "serious" software.

I find it a pity, but I can't really play anymore. :(

Jeremy Marchant
07-10-2009, 21:53
Piano - good enough to amuse myself and to write music, but definitely not in public! Also a now ageing Fatar keyboard linked to a Roland Soundcanvas synthesiser. The Fatar has weighted keys - very important for me.

Jeremy Marchant
07-10-2009, 21:55
Used to play piano (12yrs old), even played solo in a concert... then gave up, because of various family reasons. Pity.
Started playing bass and harmonica when I was 18, continued for 4-5 years, then stopped when I started "serious" software.

I find it a pity, but I can't really play anymore. :(
If you learnt that young, I am sure you won't have forgotten basic techniques. Practice should be enough to bring you up to a satisfactory level. If I may say so, I think you should, as I think you'd find it rewarding, even if just playing for your own amusement.

Rare Bird
19-10-2009, 07:00
I know what i like to play with :eyebrows:

Joking aside, Keyboards..I've always wanted to play the flute but never did anything about it.