PDA

View Full Version : Why Vinyl's Boom Is Over

magiccarpetride
04-08-2017, 19:07
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-vinyls-boom-is-over-1500721202

karma67
04-08-2017, 19:31
ive just bought a copy of Gillian Welch's -The Harrow & The Harvest so we'll see how much better her vinyl is compared to mainstream.

struth
04-08-2017, 19:36
good album. not heard the vinyl yet

mikeyb
04-08-2017, 23:45
good album. not heard the vinyl yet

It's said to be a superb recording, just ordered it so I'll hear it soon [emoji6]

karma67
11-08-2017, 18:46
have you got yours yet mike,mine was sent on the 6th,not turned up yet :(

mikeyb
11-08-2017, 20:41
have you got yours yet mike,mine was sent on the 6th,not turned up yet :(Yeah arrived the other day, think it was Wednesday.

Edit: actually it was Tuesday

mjw
17-08-2017, 12:19
Yeah arrived the other day, think it was Wednesday.

Edit: actually it was Tuesday

Mike
Just sent you a PM on a separate issue.

alphaGT
17-08-2017, 12:28
Vinyl may be leveling off, but it sure isn't over! I just heard the other day that some 7% of vinyl records sold are to people who don't even own record players! So, exactly how is digital copying affecting vinyl? Not that it proves anything, but it shows a lack of connection. People want to own it, to have the full album cover and sleeve art. That has not changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YNWaN
17-08-2017, 12:30
I see absolutely no evidence that the 'vinyl boom' is over - quite the opposite in fact! But then I'm not trying to get an article published by a newspaper. I doubt they would be interested in yet another piece stating that the 'vinyl boom continues unabated'!

pgarrish
18-08-2017, 08:55
I'd expect the labels to be all over vinyl since you can't make a duplicate the way you can with CD/download. That said, I'm sure they'll also completely miss the point and try and reduce their costs by compromising on quality and maximising profit by taking the pi55 with prices - there are only so many people prepared to spend £20 on an LP

struth
18-08-2017, 09:02
there is always going to be a limit to the amount of vinyl out there just because of supply alone. But there is going to be a limit to the numbers of folk who buy as well. the growth has to level off somewhere, and probably at some point retract a bit after the initial thrill for many of the buyers.
the increase in production recently shows its not regarded as a flash in the pan

alphaGT
18-08-2017, 15:53
That is one of the surprises of new vinyl, the quality is way up! So are the prices, but there's nothing like a new 180 or 200g record! Feels good in the hand, and plays so silent in the background. Only time will tell how they will hold up compared to old records, but I'm guessing they will outlast them.

And while many new artists are selling their music on vinyl, many are not. I am truly surprised at the number of existing labels that have been re-released on vinyl, anything that was ever popular is now available. But concerning supply, if you include all of the old records for sale used these days, the supply is nearly endless! But this recent surge in interest of vinyl has driven the prices of used records up. About 7 years ago I was on a shopping spree, used records were one dollar to three dollars all day on eBay! I was spending a few hundred a month on records! Really fleshed out all those missing albums from my collection. Present and future purchases may level off, but I think vinyl is here to stay, too much invested to just stop. Vinyl survived all those years of CD production, refused to die, and if it can thrive in a world of internet downloads, it's not going away any time soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YNWaN
18-08-2017, 16:50
I've read quite a lot on audio forums where some people are complaining about the quality of new vinyl. However, I must be lucky with the artists that interest me because the quality is usually extremely good. The new 45rpm releases of Eno's first four albums are outstanding.