PDA

View Full Version : Hello

hifimac
04-08-2017, 16:43
Hi, I'm Ian from Bury Lancashire.
Just starting to get back into vinyl again after many years.
Dug my old Dual 505 out of the loft but found it had completely seized up.
I have bought a Technics SL1210 MK2 with original arm and an AT91 to get me started.
I am initially using it with a Naim Nait 3 with phono boards and Rega Ela speakers.
I've been pleasantly surprised by it but I am looking to upgrade the arm and cartridge without spending silly money.
Some advice/suggestions would be welcome.
Ian

struth
04-08-2017, 16:44
hi ian, welcome to the site. sure if you open a thread in right place you will get plenty advice

walpurgis
05-08-2017, 08:31
Hello Ian. Welcome to AOS.

You've come to the right place for info on the Technics. If you haven't already, check out the Techipedia sub-forum: http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?46-The-Techiepedia

There's loads of other stuff going on here too. Take a look around and feel free to join in. The members are friendly!

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

hifimac
05-08-2017, 12:53
Thanks very much Grant and Geoff. Much appreciated.
I hadn't seen that sub forum - it looks to have an amazing amount of information which is exactly what I'm after.
Ian

hiwattnick
26-09-2017, 11:43
Hi Ian! Welcome to AOS!
I'm actually still a newbie, as I haven't really checked the AOS forum as much as I'd like.
Congrats on your Tech 12 deck. I own one too, & they're such a wonderful table.
Although I haven't done this myself as of yet, I believe a Jelco tonearm is a great upgrade, & I'm sure you'll hear that from many others too. Check out the Techipedia sub forum on AOS too. It's got so much information from
"Tech 12 heads".
KAB ( www.kabusa.com ) is a wonderful site in regards to everything regarding upgrades & mods for a Technics 1200/1210. The owner, Kevin is always extremely helpful & more than friendly. I can't possibly say enough good stuff about Kevin & KAB. He's also been at it for almost 30 yrs, so he obviously knows his stuff.
All of the upgrades & mods he offers are of the finest quality & are also extremely inexpensive for what you are getting.
What type(s) of cartridges have you been looking at?
Enjoy your new turntable, Ian!

- Nick