PDA

View Full Version : SME 3009 Pleasant Surprise

stonehenge
04-08-2017, 09:48
So I received the Johnny modified SME 3009 (wonderfully packed and protected by Ian; thanks :) ) and once I had finally sorted out the fitting of it to my SL150Mk2 which has far too small a cable exit point :scratch:

And; I have ordered the 1/16 allen key :mental:

I found that the arm height was pretty much spot on anyway :D

But due to the stupid cable issue, I can only use a thin crappy cable at this time until my audioquest 90 degree adapters arrive :doh:

So I fitted my Ortofon VMS cart to the SME H/shell with a useful little addition spacer left on the Rega RB250 by Tom (Montesquieu) and a couple of little bits of white tack to suppress the ringy SME shell. With a 20Mk2 or 30Mk2 stylus fitted (I have choice!), it sounds rather good even through the poor string connecting to the amplifier.

My Sumiko H/shell was duly fitted with a my fancy cueing adapter and good condition Supex SM100Mk3. Only to find it too heavy for the slim built SME :doh: So off came the cueing device and all was well. A cheapy H/shell was fitted with a Linn K9 bought from Mark (Gaius) a few years ago.

Initial results are very favourable (just as well really!). There is a broader presentation from the SME, with better bottom and top (no doubt helped by the Johnny rewire) than the RB250. The VMS20 is a really good cartridge, lovely and musical. The VMS30, has better detail but doesn't seem to draw you into the music as well as the 20. The K9 in the cheap H/shell sounds really good with no rough edges that can come from this energetic performer. The slight disappointment being my previous fave - the Supex which in the best H/shell seemed to be wanting to chuck the music at you warts and all. There may be a slight mismatch with the arm??

Anyway; I've got to take it all to bits to sort out the cabling issue that needs either a 90 degree adapter (a couple of Audioquest versions on the way) or a complete rebuild of a current cable with angled RCA's or attack the TT with a few wood working tools. We will see.

It's nice to own a proper iconic piece of British audio history and the engineering is lovely to behold :)

struth
04-08-2017, 10:08
you can get magnetic weights to go onto the rear weight so you can use heavier headshells and carts. i got one from a member exact sixe so looks perfect

Ian7633
04-08-2017, 15:17
Really pleased you're enjoying the SME, like you say I think the J7 upgrades made a real improvement in performance. I was sure I was going to keep it until I could afford a series V.

Barry
04-08-2017, 15:27
you can get magnetic weights to go onto the rear weight so you can use heavier headshells and carts. i got one from a member exact sixe so looks perfect

Where did you obtain the magnetic weight Grant? I assume it is for the 'Improved' version of the 3009 - I would want one to counterbalance an Ortofon SPU.

walpurgis
04-08-2017, 15:32
If the results with the Supex are a bit forward, add a bit of mass at the headshell. A lump of BluTak will do to experiment with. I suspect the arm has too little mass to allow the fairly low compliance cantilever suspension to articulate properly at lower frequencies.