PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Headshell for Fidelity Research FR64FX arm

mikeyb
02-08-2017, 07:12
Hi,

The one that currently fitted is slightly too short to get the correct overhang? I'm out by about 2.5 - 3mm so I thought the easy solution might be to fit a longer headshell than the one that's already on the arm.

My old Technics 1210 headshell is fine so I think I need something of a similar length.

This is when you realise the selling off surplus bits comes back to haunt you as I've already owned 3 other headshells all now sold Doh!

Be great if I could pick up one of the longer Fidelity Research headshells but I realise they're not that easy to get hold of at reasonable prices.

Anything out there?

Cheers,

Mike.

take5
03-08-2017, 06:00
Mike, I have some headshells and will bring them next time I'm up your way.

mikeyb
03-08-2017, 06:39
Mike, I have some headshells and will bring them next time I'm up your way.That would be great

tannoy man
03-08-2017, 09:18
There is a FR headshell on ebay, £45 from Russia. Ive dealt with the seller before and there was no duty to pay.

mikeyb
03-08-2017, 09:26
There is a FR headshell on ebay, £45 from Russia. Ive dealt with the seller before and there was no duty to pay.

Have that one in my watch list ;)

Thanks for the info though.

mikeyb
04-08-2017, 08:49
Anything else offered?

[emoji4]

montesquieu
04-08-2017, 09:11

Yes I've dealt with that guy too, no issues. It's an FR S/2 though - lightweight compared to most, I have a couple in use for different cartridges but they need additional weights added to match with the normal ones. I'd personally wait for a heavier one to come along. (Looks like Brian has some).

I have several of the heavier FR headshells and a couple of Ikeda ones too but they are all in use at the moment. My view is that they have definitely stood the test of time.

One thing to note BTW there are anomalies with the stated FR64S spindle to pivot distance (the geometry was changed for my later Ikeda IT-345 CR1 arm which is heavily based on the 64S, to work more normally at the stated 230mm). Rather than 230mm you ought to be looking at 232 distance for the FR64.. See if you have any leeway in the base, you might well find it snaps into place with the existing headshell if you change the base positioning. My Dr Freickert protractor was invaluable in getting this sort of stuff right.

mikeyb
04-08-2017, 09:47
Yes I've dealt with that guy too, no issues. It's an FR S/2 though - lightweight compared to most, I have a couple in use for different cartridges but they need additional weights added to match with the normal ones. I'd personally wait for a heavier one to come along. (Looks like Brian has some).

I have several of the heavier FR headshells and a couple of Ikeda ones too but they are all in use at the moment. My view is that they have definitely stood the test of time.

One thing to note BTW there are anomalies with the stated FR64S spindle to pivot distance (the geometry was changed for my later Ikeda IT-345 CR1 arm which is heavily based on the 64S, to work more normally at the stated 230mm). Rather than 230mm you ought to be looking at 232 distance for the FR64.. See if you have any leeway in the base, you might well find it snaps into place with the existing headshell if you change the base positioning. My Dr Freickert protractor was invaluable in getting this sort of stuff right.The weight of the F/R S2 was a worry which is why I haven't bought it. I read somewhere that 231.5mm was reported on a German site to be the correct distance so that might be right enough when you say 232mm.

In order to gain the 2.5 - 3mm I need ( my measurement is 229 ) on the armboard it would mean me trying to adjust the pillar hole myself so I might manage that easily enough.

But you're right that would mean the FR/121 headshell that I have would then be perfect, and that would save buying something else.

The SMARTractor device I have is accurate and easy to use so I know I can get the correct settings IF I can adjust the armboard. Otherwise it will be back to Steve for adjustment :-(

take5
04-08-2017, 12:41
Mike, I'm on holiday at the moment, but I thought it might be useful to let you know what I have, so that you know where you stand.

I had one of the heavy FR headshells, but can't remember if I still do. If I do, I will sell it to you.

I have quite a few others. All for sale.

From memory...Acoste lustre, Rega, then 3 x no -name,
Then, 3 types of SME.... the normal version with all the holes in it. Then the same size, but without the holes (this is heavier).
Then the heaviest version. Like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-SME-Bakelite-Headshell-For-SME-3009-or-3012-Series-1-or-Series-2-/192244122549?hash=item2cc2a483b5:g:hfIAAOSwWdZZY5c i

I will get in touch re the FR on my return

mikeyb
04-08-2017, 13:19
Mike, I'm on holiday at the moment, but I thought it might be useful to let you know what I have, so that you know where you stand.

I had one of the heavy FR headshells, but can't remember if I still do. If I do, I will sell it to you.

I have quite a few others. All for sale.

From memory...Acoste lustre, Rega, then 3 x no -name,
Then, 3 types of SME.... the normal version with all the holes in it. Then the same size, but without the holes (this is heavier).
Then the heaviest version. Like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-SME-Bakelite-Headshell-For-SME-3009-or-3012-Series-1-or-Series-2-/192244122549?hash=item2cc2a483b5:g:hfIAAOSwWdZZY5c i

I will get in touch re the FR on my returnHi,

That would be great.

I might not need one IF I can adjust my armboard by about 2mm, if I can then I'm hoping my existing FR 121 headshell will then become a perfect fit. I'll hopefully get the tools out over the weekend and will update the thread then.