PDA

View Full Version : Goldring G99 - A Resto too far 8-<>

Wakefield Turntables
31-07-2017, 20:00
Pt 1 - Introduction

I could not refuse this G99 at the price I paid. I hope you lot are in for the long haul as I'm going to need a lot of patience sourcing spare parts for this beauty. This unit came from Kent and it looks like it's been stripped for another resto project. Not to worry I couldn't see this deck fester for any longer so I decided to take the plunge and buy it.

This is what the deck looked like from straight out of the box.

The G99 is a little more complex than the GL75 but only because it has slightly more features. This was the Rolls Royce of the Lenco idlers. I stripped the deck ready for refurbing the plinth and additional parts.

A quick scrub over with some warm soapy water and a little pure alcohol to get rid of any sticky residue and grime. The deck looks a lot better already.

That's it so far. This deck really is a horror story and I have some real cringe worthy photo's for you lot over the next few months (or maybe years).

Stay tuned folks.

helma
31-07-2017, 20:14
Was this from eBay? If it were I think it was an auction I kept an eye on just in case :) It does look pretty dire, but some clean up and maintenance could do wonders and I guess most of important mechanical parts are interchangeable with an L75?

walpurgis
31-07-2017, 20:19
I've had one of those Andy and a G88. I left them standard as they were in mint nick. I'll be interested to see what you do with this. They are lovely units.

Wakefield Turntables
31-07-2017, 20:31
Was this from eBay? If it were I think it was an auction I kept an eye on just in case :) It does look pretty dire, but some clean up and maintenance could do wonders and I guess most of important mechanical parts are interchangeable with an L75?

Yes from eBay. Just wait till you see the rest of the photographs! A lot of the 75 and 99 are interchangable but I want to keep as much of this original as possible.

I've had one of those Andy and a G88. I left them standard as they were in mint nick. I'll be interested to see what you do with this. They are lovely units.

It's just going to be a complete stock refurb, nothing fancy, no modding, no tweaking just a faithful resto. I've already refurbed a classic tonearm for this project (more phot's later).

brian2957
31-07-2017, 20:37
Oh dear Andy , you sure do like a challenge mate :) I have no doubts whatsoever that you will turn this around though :)

Please clear your inbox mate .

Wakefield Turntables
31-07-2017, 21:21
Oh dear Andy , you sure do like a challenge mate :) I have no doubts whatsoever that you will turn this around though :)

Please clear your inbox mate .

Lets hope so, inbox now cleared.

Barry
31-07-2017, 22:34
I used to have a couple of G99s, both of which I sold on to a member and an ex-member here. Nice decks: very quick start and speed settling time; very wide speed adjustment range, and ample opportunity for fettling. Commisioned by Goldring from Lenco to be an alternative to the Garrard 301/401, it will be intereresting to read of your thoughts of the comparison.

Have fun!

hifi_dave
01-08-2017, 16:28
In reviews of the time, the G99 performed better than the 301.

walpurgis
01-08-2017, 16:39
In reviews of the time, the G99 performed better than the 301.

I liked my G99 better than my 301.

Wakefield Turntables
01-08-2017, 18:27
Tonights update - The Goldring Resto Pt 2 - A survery of the damage to the deck.

OK, big deep breath, here we go ....

Speed selection switch knackered, might be able to salvage?

Idler arm rubber dampener kaput!

Motor spindle corroded and knackered.

Bearing spindle knackered.

See I told you all it was bad and I havent even finished with the rest of the pictures! As bad as it may seen all this damage is pretty easy to sort out. The motor/bearing and idler arm being a piece of cake. The speed selector switch might need a little lateral thinking but I'm sure we can think of something. Tonights work is assessing damage to the top plate. I might just do a complete re-strip and repaint from fresh. Check out Pt 3 for more horrors!

Wakefield Turntables
01-08-2017, 18:35
Pt 2 continued.

The mounting nuts are rusty and corroded.

The wiring has gon for a burton.

We have no strobe light protector.

Idler wheel has no rubber.

The wiring is all messed up around the on/off (which is also missing).

So you see I have my work cut out!!

Right that's it for tonight. I have a bearing to strip and refurb.

Stay tuned.

walpurgis
01-08-2017, 18:41
I'm sure it can all be done. I reckon the rusty bits may come up OK and a lens for the strobe can probably be fashioned.

brian2957
01-08-2017, 19:28
Get yourself a can of WD40 mate :)

Wakefield Turntables
04-08-2017, 13:31
Todays Update - The Goldring 99 Resto Pt III - Ugly duckingling..... not quite a swan.

Tracking parts down for the '99 has been difficult with all enquiries drawing a blank. This is something I planned on and fortunately I'm a patient person so I can wait for the parts. I want to keep this resto 100% original wherever possible but restoring old decks is never an easy job with bits being broken, things missings, things bodged. This build is no different I have quite a few switches and components missing but I've been a little lucky and managed to find some original parts and had to buy in new parts to replace missing. I've had to order a new G99 idler wheel rubber, this came from Italy and currently making it's way across Europe to my office in Wakefield. Here are a few pictures with some notes.

Mounting bolts.

These were completely corroded and after a lot of work but we now have 2 restored with some wet and dry of various grades paper and a new replacement for the third of which was a completely different type. I don't know if these are the originals but I restored them anyway as they were part of the deck when I recieved it. The third bolt was a completely different design so I managed to find a replacement. These bolts are probably going to be replaced anyway when I mount this deck in a plinth.

Bolt rusty, nasty, yuk!

A bit of 'elbo grease

Weird third bolt replaced with something new.

The idler arm was in a state. The supression rubber at the base of the arm had dried out and warped, the brass mount was full of old grease and fluff! The idler arm spring was completely rusted and stretched. I had a spare in my collection so this got replaced. The supression rubber was also replaced with a spare and the brass cleaned. The idler wheel was stripped and cleaned, re-oiled, and fitted back onto the idler arm. The idler wheel rubber was missing when I got the deck, a new part has been ordered and will be replaced on arrival.

Old New

The idler arm is not the same as the Lenco 75 which is a common misconception. It seems that Goldring skimped on the quality of the idler arm with respects to the mounting of the idler wheel. You have several nuts holdings the idler wheel mounting shaft in place whillst a nicelt turned solid brass mount does the same job on the Lenco 75 version. The idler arm looks over complicated to me and goes away from the elegant simplicity of the 75's design. The idler arm was finished off with a deep clean.

Wakefield Turntables
04-08-2017, 13:47
Pt III continued.

The idler arm, 90% complete and restored, now just awaiting the new idler wheel rubber.

Goldring used the same bearing on the 99 as the Lenco 75, another area of skimping! This was supposed to rival/beat the Garrard 301/401! This example had a completely knackered spindle and unfortunately was beyond repair. I stripped down the bearing and completely serviced it, about 20 minutes work. This bearing has recieved new oil, thrust plate was ok as was the bearing. I'm very unhappy about having to use a new spindle but that's old deck restoration for you. :D

The spindle was heavily corroded and caused the platter to stick. Damage like this also damages the platter so it pays to replace to save the rest of the deck, Lenco G99 platters are like hens teeth to find.

Old knackered spindle Replacement spindle from a donor bearing

The bearing prior to being cleaned up and serviced.

This is the same bearing mounted and polished after a full service and a bit of surgery.

Wakefield Turntables
04-08-2017, 13:58
Continued...

Just a few more bits. The strobe lamp holder was very dirty and after a quick 5 minutes polish I get a nice shiny piece of bling.

Before After

Last pictures now for a while. These pictures show the deck when it first arrived and the progress that's been made so far.

Freshly arrived Now being restored.

The chasis needs a new lick of paint so I'm off shopping tomorrow to see if we can match some colours. Right, that's it.

Stay tuned......

brian2957
04-08-2017, 14:52
Cheers Andy . Do you know where this deck was stored , it's in a right old state . I really don't know if I would have tackled something like this , so Kudos to you mate. Looks like this one is going to take a while mainly due to the unavailability of parts .
Interesting thread and I'm really enjoying the pictures :)

Wakefield Turntables
04-08-2017, 16:38
It came from Kent originally and I have no idea where it was stored, somewhere damp so probably garage, cellar, or attic. The deck is in working order and it's only missing a few switches and it's complete so I can still play vinyl on it. I'm messing around with the linkages and then it's the on/off switch and wiring.

Wakefield Turntables
05-08-2017, 19:43
Todays Update - The Goldring 99 Resto Pt IV - Coming together (oo-er missues).

The deck is still in pieces but I managed to find a little time to do some tinkering. I've managed to find the correct colours so that I can strip and respray the chasis so I will be starting this just at some point. I have all the products so I'm hoping to maybe do a slow restoration over the next few days. I'll probably leave 24h between each coat of primer, paint, laquer etc. I also recieved a little package from Germany which happened to be the new idler wheel rubber so this was fitted today and we now have a complete idler arm so that one less piece missing from the deck. I also managed to restore the original mat to new new condition thanks to Autoglyn rubber care products a little expensinve at £8 per bottle but very very worthwhile. I'm a little more confident of being able to restore the speed selector switch to near perfect condition. It won't quite look like an original but it'll be 95% similar, the new version will have to do until we can source some proper switches. The on/off switch is stll elusive and I've decided that I'll probably design the new fascia faceplate the last, just get all the other work out of the way first and then crack on with that which will probably being the biggest and probably most expensive but of the restoration. Right, I'm off again...

Stay tuned.

brian2957
05-08-2017, 20:59
I take it it's going to be grey Andy . Isn't the internet fantastic for finding parts for old gear :)

Barry
05-08-2017, 21:26
I also managed to restore the original mat to new new condition thanks to Autoglyn rubber care products a little expensinve at £8 per bottle but very very worthwhile.

Is it this: http://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/153320?w=637&h=403 ?

Remember that your precious vinyl will be in direct contact with the rubber mat. There is a risk therefore of the vinyl becoming atacked by chemicals in the tyre black paint.

helma
05-08-2017, 21:56
Todays Update - The Goldring 99 Resto Pt IV - Coming together (oo-er missues).

The deck is still in pieces but I managed to find a little time to do some tinkering. I've managed to find the correct colours so that I can strip and respray the chasis so I will be starting this just at some point. I have all the products so I'm hoping to maybe do a slow restoration over the next few days. I'll probably leave 24h between each coat of primer, paint, laquer etc.

I have no idea what you'll be using for paint, so might be a moot point and obviously you'll be best off doing as they recommend, but if you're using spray cans, a lot of the stuff is recommended to paint either wet on wet (usually 10-30min between layers or so) or after completely dry which could be up to a week. Most of the time you can get away with not following the instructions to a letter, but I've also had it happen the whole surface turned crackly because the new coat reactivated the underlaying coat which was "dry" but not dry enough ie completely hardened and in it's final state.

Btw. what's what weird looking idler wheel and is it something that was made specifically for G99? Is that plastic?

Wakefield Turntables
06-08-2017, 17:10
Is it this: http://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/153320?w=637&h=403 ?

Remember that your precious vinyl will be in direct contact with the rubber mat. There is a risk therefore of the vinyl becoming atacked by chemicals in the tyre black paint.

Nope its not that Barry.

I take it it's going to be grey Andy . Isn't the internet fantastic for finding parts for old gear :)

Well its sort of a dark grey, I think it's called Basalt Grey (I could be wrong). The internet is fantastic but not for finding original bits for a Goldring G99. :eek:

I have no idea what you'll be using for paint, so might be a moot point and obviously you'll be best off doing as they recommend, but if you're using spray cans, a lot of the stuff is recommended to paint either wet on wet (usually 10-30min between layers or so) or after completely dry which could be up to a week. Most of the time you can get away with not following the instructions to a letter, but I've also had it happen the whole surface turned crackly because the new coat reactivated the underlaying coat which was "dry" but not dry enough ie completely hardened and in it's final state.

Btw. what's what weird looking idler wheel and is it something that was made specifically for G99? Is that plastic?

I've done quite a few of these paint jobs now and usually give 20-30 minutes between coats of paint and then I leave for 24-48 hours before applying laquer. I also have no idea if this is an origial Goldring idler wheel. It looks like nothing I've ever seen but it's a perfect fit and diameter and the new rubber from Germany fitted perfectly so I presume it's Koshea.

Wakefield Turntables
06-08-2017, 18:35
Todays Update - The Goldring 99 Resto Pt V - 'lbo grease

A little more progress today in that the idler arm linkages got a deep restoration. Every part got stripped and cleaned with wet and dry paper from Grade 60 all the way upto 2400, very labour intensive and extremely boring :zzz:. I feel like having a little rest from restoring the mechanical gubbins of the deck so I might start stripping the chasis tomorrow night. Heres a quick picture showing all the restored bits so far. The platter mat looks great, the bearing has scubbed up well and so far I'm quite happy with the progress.

As ever, stay tuned...:)

helma
07-08-2017, 15:36
Nice work and I'm so glad I didn't bid on that thing because clearly it got a better home than I could've ever provided :D

brian2957
07-08-2017, 16:09
Nice work and I'm so glad I didn't bid on that thing because clearly it got a better home than I could've ever provided :D

+1 :)

Andy , is the bearing the same as the GL75 . It looks like it .

Very nice work BTW :)

struth
07-08-2017, 16:11
http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21059&d=1502044506

looking good Andy

hifi_dave
07-08-2017, 16:23
The G99 I have here is pristine and fully working. You're a better man than me, taking on that one..:wow:

I'm still deciding whether it's to be the G99 or a 301 I have as my final turntable. I also have an excellent TD124 but as I want to mount a 12 inch SME and FR-64X, that is out of the running.

Wakefield Turntables
07-08-2017, 18:30

Thanks! I'm glad you didn't bid on it either, I got it cheap! Seriously thanks for the kind comments. This deck still has a long way to go.

+1 :)

Andy , is the bearing the same as the GL75 . It looks like it .

Very nice work BTW :)

Yep it's the same as the '75 which means it's pretty easy to work on. I'm down to about 15 minutes now to completely strip, service, and rebuild a '75 bearing.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21059&d=1502044506

looking good Andy

Thanks Grant.

The G99 I have here is pristine and fully working. You're a better man than me, taking on that one..:wow:

I'm still deciding whether it's to be the G99 or a 301 I have as my final turntable. I also have an excellent TD124 but as I want to mount a 12 inch SME and FR-64X, that is out of the running.

Now your just showing off!! :D I've got a nice SME 3009 sitting on my bookshelf that I've just restored waiting for this one.

Wakefield Turntables
07-08-2017, 19:32
Todays Update - The Goldring 99 Resto Pt VI - Idle thoughts.

I'm stripping down the '99 down to bare metal tonight and boy is it hard work. The paint job is probably the best thing on this deck. Grade 50 paper does not even touch it. So it hello Mr. Nitromorse, then lots of elbow grease with Mr. 50 grit paper. The '99 looks like a very lazy mash up of the Lenco 75 top plate and the Garrard 301 chasis shape. Now either Goldring did a load of research and came to the conclusion that the Garrard's Chasis was the best thing since sliced bread or it was a blatent copy spliced together after a piss up at the local pub. We shall never find out. I'm currently listening to a bit of Iron Maiden and having a cuppa whilst the stripper does its work. I'll take some more photo's tonight to show you the progress. All good fun so far. I may have sourced some on/off buttons or a decent replacement for them at least. I'm waiting for a fellow '99 owner to get back to me with the buttons dimensions. I think the on/off switch should look pretty good when it's repaired. These are all jobs for later this week or next. So, until next time, as ever, stay tuned.

Barry
07-08-2017, 20:18

Why is that "out of the running"? I have 12" arms fitted to my TD124s.

When I had G99s, I have to admit they were very good (one of which I sold to you with an SME 3009 arm, if you remember), but IMO the Thorens TD124s are in another class. The last time I head a 301 was probably thirty years ago and it wasn't for long, so I didn't have a chance form any real opinion of it.

Barry
07-08-2017, 20:35
The '99 looks like a very lazy mash up of the Lenco 75 top plate and the Garrard 301 chasis shape. Now either Goldring did a load of research and came to the conclusion that the Garrard's Chasis was the best thing since sliced bread or it was a blatent copy spliced together after a piss up at the local pub. We shall never find out.

Probably more a case of "form follows function": for example the Connoisseur decks of the period (pre BD1) were of roughly similar shape, and were intended to be bolted down to a board along with the arm of choice and housed in a console; essentially following how most of the professional American broadcast decks (Rek-o-Kut, Gates and QRP) were employed. That was how it was done before the use of a free-standing plinth became domestically fashionable.

But since the G99 was designed to be a direct competitor to the 301, there could be something in your speculation.

hifi_dave
08-08-2017, 12:55
Why is that "out of the running"? I have 12" arms fitted to my TD124s.

When I had G99s, I have to admit they were very good (one of which I sold to you with an SME 3009 arm, if you remember), but IMO the Thorens TD124s are in another class. The last time I head a 301 was probably thirty years ago and it wasn't for long, so I didn't have a chance form any real opinion of it.

Yes, I do remember. It is now being used by my Brother. The G99/SME 3009 Imp/Shure 75ED I still have is my original from 1967 or so.

The TD124 I have is working nicely but I don't like the look of the 12 inch armboard - looks a bit Heath Robinson to me.

The 301 I have is in good nick, just needs a nice solid plinth. That of course, as with the G99, is easy to mount two arms of any length on.

Wakefield Turntables
09-08-2017, 19:41
Todays Update - The Goldring 99 Resto Pt VII - The big strip

It's been a couple of days since I last checked in and I have been stripping the chasis down to bare metal.

So, this is the base around the speed selecttor switch. Lots of lovely mank and rust.

A complete shot of the underside of the chasis. Not a very nice place.

After a hell of a lot of work the top chasis is now stripped, this was a complete pig to remove. The original could not have been repaired it had too many chips. Lots of paint stripper and lots of work with 60 grade wet and dry. The chasis will recieve more wet and dry work over the next few days. I want to have this primed by the end of the week.

The underside of the chasis now stripped and ready for primer.

The paint job will take some time so I've now started working on stripping down the last of the linkages and buttons. Quite a lot of work has already been done. The last and final section to the 99 is stripping and rebuilding the motor and doing some work on that horrid spindle. The soldering iron will soon be used on the rats nest of wires! Gee what fun!

As ever stay tuned.

brian2957
09-08-2017, 19:53
Interesting thread again Andy . I really enjoy the structured way you present these restorations and keep it simple for thickos like me :)

Looks like you've had your work cut out with this one mate .

Wakefield Turntables
10-08-2017, 07:29
Interesting thread again Andy . I really enjoy the structured way you present these restorations and keep it simple for thickos like me :)

Looks like you've had your work cut out with this one mate .

i wouldn't call yourself a "thicko", far from it! This one has been a little challenging mainly because it's slightly new and finding a decent user manual proved a little difficult. The scarcity of the parts is the biggest problem but I accepted this when I started the restoration. :doh: Just have to keep a looking.

Wakefield Turntables
10-08-2017, 19:39
Todays Update - The Goldring 99 Resto Pt VIII - Prep work..... :beer:

Just a little mini-update for tonight. The '99 was prepped last night and I've managed to get a few layers of primer. The spare time between coats has meant I've had a little time to doing some restoration on the speed selector.

Top of the 99's chasis prepped with primer. This will now have at least 24hours before being sprayed

Underside of the 99's chasis again we need another 24-48h before we spray the area

The speed selector switch. Now, it's snapped in half and it's shiny metal insert was missing. I hacked a Lenco 75 on/off switch to removed the metal insert and after a little cutting down and filing I managed to retrim the 99s speed selector switch with some original lenco metal!

Before a clean up and retrim

Afterwards....

The speed selector switch ideally would be completely replaced but beggards cant be choosers so I'm going to have to refurb as best I can. I'm trying to find a similar coloured plastic so that I can complete the other broken half of the switch I may make a cover to hide the crack in the switch. We'll see, one might just turn up somewhere!

As ever, stay tuned folks.....:D

Wakefield Turntables
12-08-2017, 19:14
Todays Update - The Goldring 99 Resto Pt IX - Emperors new clothes.

I've been busy over the last few days getting the 99's chasis finished and ready for laquer.

Just a few quick pictures. This is the underside of the plinth before and after a complete strip and respray.

This is the topside of the plinth before and after a complete strip and respray.

I hate this section of any restoration as I can't populate the deck due to having the let the paint dry for several days. I'm quietly spending my time finishing off other sections of the deck whilst I wait for the paint to dry. I've not even looked at the motor so that's tonights job. It's in a real state and I dont even know if it works! I've started stripping the down the suspension springs as they are very rusty. The nuts need cleaning up and a new power lead needs to be made up to get the motor started. I'll probably completely strip the motor down and rebuild the whole thing. I'm hoping to populate the deck at some point next week and then we have to start work on the platter and re-wiring. I'm making some progress with the switches and have now found someone who can 3D print them for me, I now need to find someone who can CADCAM the switches into a workable file so I can get them printed up! I also need to buy some red paint!! The deck had a lot of screws painted in post office red so I need to repaint certain areas of the plinth in trying to keep the deck as original as possible. OK, that's enough for tonight.

Stay tuned..:D

Wakefield Turntables
16-08-2017, 18:49
Tonights Update - The Goldring 99 Restoration Pt X - Slowly coming together....

I've been fairly quite lately with the 99's restoration and quitely doing some research into how I'm going to make some new old parts for the deck. The deck has now been properly painted and has a high gloss laquer to the top side of the plinth whilst I've remained faithful and left the underside with a matt finish. I've stripped down and cleaned the on/off switch, it was a real mess, I also took the oppotunity to lubricate the switch with contact cleaner and I'm pleased to report that it worked a treat and the switch now works perfectly and dosent stick like it used to. I've been trying to track down the font for the aluminium and I've come across whole websites dedicated to font identification, whole user groups live of facebook and there is even special recognition software for the job, me, I just happened to fire up Word for Windows and hey-ho I find it within 10 minutes of searching! Pretty frustrating really as I'd spent 45 minutes going through many websites. So, one problem gets solved and another one begins. How are we going to print onto aluminium fascia? Well, Letraset was suggested but they stopped being produced years ago and the chances of finding some on the net are NIL. I phoned quite a few people locally and to no avail, I walk 50 yards down the road from my clinic and I find a model shop and 10 minutes later I find out this guy can do the work, RESULT! The aluminium has been ordered and I just have to create a new fascia which should be reasonably easy to do (famous last words :lol:). I've re-assembled the deck and all the linkages are now back on the chasis. I need to start work on the motor and electrics but I've decided to get the platter re-sprayed, so it's of to Halfords to find a colour match and then getting the thing tarted up.

I originally went to the model shop to find some red paint and a fine brush so that some of the nuts could be painted back to the post-office red colour this is a job that I've just finished. I look at the deck now and can say that I'm very happy with it's progress I still need to get the speed selector switch sorted and I need an on/off switch. I found a company in sheffied after a little phoning around today which might be able to 3D print the switches. I've emailed them tonight with some photo's of what I'd like producing with some dimensions. I'm hoping they get back to me with good news. Cost dosen't appear to be too high either and will probably work out far cheaper than NOS parts it's not what I wanted to do but this is probably my only option. I'll still continue looking for the original switches and replace as I find them. I've managed to do a little work on the motor springs. I was originally going to replace them but they are still in very good condition and are not compressed and one of my main objectives is to keep everything original. The springs still need some work but they are not a high priority.

Part of the on/off switch before and after a clean

Motor springs being ultrasonically cleaned, check out the crap in the bottom of the cleaner.

This springs are still looking pretty poor and need more work.

Wakefield Turntables
16-08-2017, 19:36
Pt X - Continued.

A few more pictures of the deck's progress.

The on/off switch had really been through the wringer. It was rusted and bent out of shape. The rocker switch was rusted over and sticky. I completely stipped the switch, straightened the metal, re-lubricated the rocker switch, cleaned up the wires with IPA wipes, removed any grease and grime, and repainted the red areas.

These two photo's show all the work which has gone into the deck so far. Everthing has been restored and populated back onto the chasis. The motor and platter will hopefully be completed by the end of next week. The real hard work starts with the aluminium fascia and new swicthes.

As ever stay tuned! :)

Wakefield Turntables
19-08-2017, 20:12
Tonights Update - Pt XI - A little nearer to the finish.

I've managed to mop up a few little jobs over the last few days. The platter has been finished and it looks lovely even if I do say so myself.

Just a couple of pictures showing the scuffs and damage to the platter

And now a couple of pictures showing how the deck looks with platter and naked! I do rather like the grey and white combo. :D

The motor springs have now been properly dressed. I have removed the rust, prepped with primer and sprayed them black and add some laquer to project against further bouts of rusting. The three motor nuts which held the springs in place where also corroded so these have been sanded down and repainted in the post office red colour (more pics later). I've started work on the motor and have just started stripping away excess wires and resolder some dry joints. That's tomorrows work and if I can get the motor spinning tomorrow I'll be happy as it's a big milestone in this decks rebirth.

As ever stay tuned!

brian2957
19-08-2017, 21:48
Looking good Andy . I hope the motor runs smoothly first time of trying mate . Did you set up some sort of jig to bolt the motor to when working on it and testing .
Any idea what caused the scuffs on the platter . I imagine something like that would require very specialized paint .
Have you been able to source / repair the parts OK ?

Wakefield Turntables
20-08-2017, 10:29
Looking good Andy . I hope the motor runs smoothly first time of trying mate . Did you set up some sort of jig to bolt the motor to when working on it and testing .
Any idea what caused the scuffs on the platter . I imagine something like that would require very specialized paint .
Have you been able to source / repair the parts OK ?

The motor is being tested over this week, I'm sure I'll have some fun! It will still need a complete strip and spindle repair. I dont have a jig, just a flat surface and that's all that's needed really. I have no idea where the scuffs came from it looks like its been through the wars!! The paint was nothing special, I just did the usual of stripping, prepping, spray painting and then laquer to protect. The parts are extremely rare so lateral thinking is usually your best friend. I've got a pretty bomb proof way of getting the lettering onto the brushed aluminum and I've found a business just down the road that does metal laser cutting so if I may treat myself and get that job externally. I have heard nothing from the 3D printing company so I have to chase them but that's part of the fun of the resto!!! The project feels like it's coming to an end because I can see solutions for most of the problems but we still have some time before it's truly finished. I can't wait to get this one finshed so I can start experimenting with the '75 :D

Marco
20-08-2017, 17:36
Interesting thread, Andy, and good work so far!

I rate the G99 highly, having heard one belonging to Oldius, which was superb and sonically possessed real vim and vigour. No shortage of detail either. The bass had real 'balls' too, all of which I loved.

As ever, with these types of 'motor units', the final sound one obtains is largely down to the plinth chosen and how well all the constituent parts work together symbiotically, especially in respect of the tonearm and cartridge chosen.

Have you had some thoughts about any of that? :)

Marco.

oldius
20-08-2017, 18:34
I did love my G99. It was fitted into a slate plinth with a new bearing and a massive clamping system. I thought it at least the equal to my 401.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wakefield Turntables
20-08-2017, 18:38
Interesting thread, Andy, and good work so far!

I rate the G99 highly, having heard one belonging to Oldius, which was superb and sonically possessed real vim and vigour. No shortage of detail either. The bass had real 'balls' too, all of which I loved.

As ever, with these types of 'motor units', the final sound one obtains is largely down to the plinth chosen and how well all the constituent parts work together symbiotically, especially in respect of the tonearm and cartridge chosen.

Have you had some thoughts about any of that? :)

Marco.

Never really been a big fan of slate. It will probably be a simple birch ply jobbie. This one is going in the collection and may occasionally get used.

Marco
20-08-2017, 19:00
I did love my G99. It was fitted into a slate plinth with a new bearing and a massive clamping system. I thought it at least the equal to my 401.

One of the best T/Ts I've heard, Geoff - and I'm fussy! Did you get to hear it pre and post bearing and clamping system? If so, how much better was it afterwards? :)

Marco.

Marco
20-08-2017, 19:04
Never really been a big fan of slate. It will probably be a simple birch ply jobbie. This one is going in the collection and may occasionally get used.

I like slate, in the right applications. But there's something about certain woods, done well, that for me sounds more musical. I don't really 'get' the collecting thing on something that has a mechanical primary function [I'm not a hi-fi hoarder], but enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
20-08-2017, 19:24
I like slate, in the right applications. But there's something about certain woods, done well, that for me sounds more musical. I don't really 'get' the collecting thing on something that has a mechanical primary function [I'm not a hi-fi hoarder], but enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

I think you are quite right about certain woods and I have experimented extensively. I use ebony on the 1210 which and I have experimented widely with Bamboo both brought slightly different things out of the system. The ebony seemed to etch out a little more detal from the 1210 whilst the bamboo (yes its a grass) seemed to work very well as an isolation plinth bringing many subtle but worthwhile improvements to my systems. I don't hoard systems as such. I have two main decks the 1210 and the 301. Both decks are used on a very regular basis and do different things. It's no secret the 301 is used as my Jazz workhorse in my valve system whilst the 1210 plays everything else. My venture into Lenco's has been both fun and education and the lessons learned will at some point into the future go into improving the 1210 and 301. The Lenco 75 I own is great for experimentation and is used on a daily basis. The Goldring 99 was just one of those decks I always wanted to try.

Wakefield Turntables
20-08-2017, 19:30
Tonights update - Part XII - Bugger!

Well the motor is knackered! It's just plain plum buggered! So, a rather big setback but Lenco motor's are quite commonly sold and I have a spare so things arn't that bad. It now means that I've come to a halt so far until I find some time to get the other motor stripped and rebuilt. Never mind, we shall just have to be patient!

brian2957
20-08-2017, 19:37
That's a pity Andy , I'm sure you will find a way around this without too much trouble :)

oldius
20-08-2017, 21:11
One of the best T/Ts I've heard, Geoff - and I'm fussy! Did you get to hear it pre and post bearing and clamping system? If so, how much better was it afterwards? :)

Marco.

I had it 'done' as soon as I bought it Marco. That OL Conqueror/DL-S1 had something to do with it too!

Marco
20-08-2017, 22:11
Ah I see, yes indeed - everything just gelled so well. I've not often heard such a truly captivating sound from vinyl. Do you not regret selling that combo? One that got away perhaps....

Marco.

oldius
20-08-2017, 22:28
Ah I see, yes indeed - everything just gelled so well. I've not often heard such a truly captivating sound from vinyl. Do you not regret selling that combo? One that got away perhaps....

Marco.

I had seven decks so no regrets. I am down to one now which is much more sensible.
Of the decks I had, it's possibly the one, along with the TD125, that I would have back without question.

walpurgis
20-08-2017, 22:37
I had seven decks so no regrets. I am down to one now which is much more sensible.

Yes. I have eight. A cull is needed! But which to go? What a dilemma. :scratch:

Marco
21-08-2017, 06:57
Of the decks I had, it's possibly the one, along with the TD125, that I would have back without question.

Yeah, I remember all your T/Ts lined up, when I was at your old place. All sounded great, but in a different way. I just loved the sheer 'drive', heft and 'fun factor' of the G99. My type of 'punchy' sound, as that's what I get from my Techy, which incidentally has been improved even further since you last heard it.

What I liked about your set-up, which for me was unique with someone who owns multiple T/Ts, was that they were all set up in a row ready to be used. They weren't just sat there as ornaments. I understand and appreciate that folks here love collecting hi-fi, but I don't see the point unless it's put into a system and used regularly.

Would be interesting hearing your (gorgeous) Sony now and seeing if it puts the same smile on my face as that G99 did. What's your view on that and how different the two T/Ts sound? How do their styles of musical presentation compare?

Marco.

oldius
21-08-2017, 08:28
Thanks Marco. Such a different system now so comparisons are futile, but I'm very happy with what I have and the Sony is a lovely thing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Marco
21-08-2017, 11:45
No worries, mate. Need to have another sesh sometime, so I can get to sample the Sony myself :)

Marco.

hifi_dave
21-08-2017, 15:52
What fascinates me with this G99 restoration thread is that everything on it is trashed, right down to the last rusty screw, yet Andrew has the patience and the skill to make it right. Had it been mine, it would have gone in the dustbin, because I just haven't got what it takes. I have a 'time warp' G99 which needs a plinth but I haven't even found time to sort this out, let alone rebuild a rusty lump.

Well done..:clapclapclap:

brian2957
21-08-2017, 16:07
What fascinates me with this G99 restoration thread is that everything on it is trashed, right down to the last rusty screw, yet Andrew has the patience and the skill to make it right. Had it been mine, it would have gone in the dustbin, because I just haven't got what it takes. I have a 'time warp' G99 which needs a plinth but I haven't even found time to sort this out, let alone rebuild a rusty lump.

Ditto :)

Wakefield Turntables
21-08-2017, 18:37

Ditto :)

AHHH SHOOKS! :o

Wakefield Turntables
25-08-2017, 20:04
Tonights Update - Part XIII - IT'S ALIVE or You spin me right round baby like a record...

I've been quiet lately but things have been slowly coming together. The motor is now installed. It's not the most quiet Lenco motor I've ever heard but it works and I've managed to get the platter to spin. It makes a few noises but that's something to sort out for another day I mainly wanted to get the thing working and spinning. The motor springs and nuts have been fully restored. Each nut and spring has been cleaned till a rust and corrosion free state each has been primed and resprayed mat black and each nut has been repainted post office red as it should be. See picture below.

The mains lead has now been connected and fixed into place just like it should be on a 99. The other spare fastener is for the wires coming from the on/off switch going into the motor this have yet to be added. One of the bigger jobs is to get the on/off switch re-wired, tested and then fixed onto the deck. It's probably the last big job on the underside of the deck before I start looking at getting the fascia and outer top plate made up.

Now this came as a surprise I managed to find some thin clear plastic in the Lenco spares box so I'm going to chop this down to fit over the strobe window I need to source a very very small screw and then simply fix the plastic onto the underside of the 99. It's not an original part but it will suffice until I can source something original.

So I have more news! The speed selector switch is currently in Sheffield being examined and measured for a CADCAM file which will hopefully then just be 3D printed I'm hoping that the on/off switches will be processed the same way. J7 from Audio Origami has offered to do the 3D printing so it looks like the missing and broken switches could be another job completed. Lets hope and prey! I have to make an outer top plate. The 99 has another top plate which is bolted on top of the deck, well my 99 didn't have one so I'm going to have to make one. This is not quite as hard as it seems I have a vacuum former and I think I should be able to mould a top plate from 2 or 3mm aluminium over a mould which I intend to make from EVA I just need accurate measurements. There is no point in making the aluminium fascia until this has been completed. I shall also be getting a file ready over the weekend for my decals to be made up and printed so that they can be fixed onto the aluminium fascia when I make it. Still lots and lots to do but at least the 99 is now spinning and a lot of the problems now seem to have solutions. As ever stay tuned..... :D

walpurgis
25-08-2017, 20:13
Did you rescue the original motor Andy, or use another?

Wakefield Turntables
25-08-2017, 20:24
Did you rescue the original motor Andy, or use another?

Original rescued after a lot of work but the spindle was shot so that had to be replaced. The on/off switch is also looking shot but I think we can rebuild this.

Wakefield Turntables
27-08-2017, 18:35
Tonights Update - Pt XIV - Nudgin' a bit closer.

I have managed to finish off another couple of jobs on the 99 this weekend. The first is restoring the strobe window. I now have to correct drill bit and a little experience in fabricating these things now and feel confident of producing something a little better when the time comes. An original part would be ideal but that's so far unobtainium, so a small rectangular equivalent will have to do. I now need a 1mm screw to complete the refurb, call me tight but I'm not spending £3 at Maplins just for one little screw so I'll have to go on the hunt for one (anything to keep the cost down :lol:). The second job has been the producing of the lettering on the 99. I've had some help from Chris over on The Audio Standard and after a little experimentation have managed to replicate the correct font size. I now have more appreciation for fonts and have used several websites for size conversions. I always love doing up these old decks and its pretty cool the new skills you learn, I now more than happy to have a crack at producing decals for any old decks where lettering might be faded or missing. I still have a little more work to do on the font side of things but should have some shiny new decals by the end of this week. I now have four BIG jobs left on this deck.

1. Making a new aluminium fascia and applying decals.
2. Getting the on/off switch rewired and testing the bulbs.
3. Making some new on/off switches and a speed selector switch.
4. Making a new detatchable top plate for the 99

All the jobs are partially completed and I have some ideas on how to finish them. So, as ever, stay tuned... :eyebrows:

sq225917
27-08-2017, 20:56
How are you doing the decals, waterslides?

Wakefield Turntables
28-08-2017, 16:25
How are you doing the decals, waterslides?

Yeah waterslides if these guys https://www.lasercutit.co.uk/laser-cutting/paper-card-board.html dont prove to be too expensive. I'll get a quote tomorrow and see what they have to say. I must admit that I like the idea of using high quality poster paint to get a better finish, it's more vibrant and resiliant compared to waterslides and more faithful to the deck.

Wakefield Turntables
30-08-2017, 07:59
Quick update I'm sitting here waiting at work for my first patient so I thought I'd write something. Looks like its waterslides for the wording on the 99. I got quoted £95 (minimum) to produce a paper template and then I got told the laser couldn't do intricate small lettered work, WTF, it's supposed to be a bloody laser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So looks like my little friend at the end of our street is getting the few quick it's going to cost for him to do the work. It's a compromise I hate making. The deck is in stasis at the moment as I wait a for few little projects to arrive. The on/off switch needs rewiring so I think that could be tonight's work. All the small jobs are nearly finished I then need to start thinking about the outer top plate, this should be lots of fun :doh:.

rigger67
30-08-2017, 08:46
Couldn't you get the lettering done at a signwriters ??
When I ran Tower Records down here we had an instore artist to create bespoke POS material using a Mac and a vinyl cutter.
When the store closed they let him take the hardware and he set up in business and he still uses the same cutter and it's brilliant.
I painted the cover from Sketches Of Spain on my living room wall and got him to cut the lettering on black vinyl. I know it goes quite small so you could probably use that and then lots of thin coats of varnish on top to get the right look.
Would be a lot cheaper than £95 too, I'm sure.

Wakefield Turntables
30-08-2017, 19:00
Couldn't you get the lettering done at a signwriters ??
When I ran Tower Records down here we had an instore artist to create bespoke POS material using a Mac and a vinyl cutter.
When the store closed they let him take the hardware and he set up in business and he still uses the same cutter and it's brilliant.
I painted the cover from Sketches Of Spain on my living room wall and got him to cut the lettering on black vinyl. I know it goes quite small so you could probably use that and then lots of thin coats of varnish on top to get the right look.
Would be a lot cheaper than £95 too, I'm sure.

Paul, thanks for the suggestion, never thought of it really. I could look into it, again thanks for your input.

Wakefield Turntables
02-09-2017, 19:33
Tonights Update - Pt XV - Light's, camera, action!

Big leap forward tonight in getting the deck restored. I decided to bite the bullet and get the re-wiring and the on/off switch refurbed and rebuilt. Trying to find any information about this deck has been hard and the rewiring aspect of things did indeed cause a few problems. I've spent many hours downloading pictures of the 99 from all over the net but, this is good and bad. Good in that you can see bits which are missing, bad because Lenco's can be wired differently depending on where you reside. I took copious amounts of photographs before I decided to desolder the on/off switch. I noticed that I was missing several areas of wiring so this had to be replaced. I had to repair the strobe light and I had to buy some yellow heat shrink to match up with the old wiring. The light for the on/off switch works perfectly and is now fitted back on to the top plate. I've included a few more pics.

This picture meant a lot to me and that I think it signified a turning point in the decks renovation. Technically the deck is as refurbished as it can be with repects to how it arrived, everything has been restored and is now working. There is still a lot to do but the deck can now play music if it was mounted in a plinth alongside a suitable tonearm. The deck couldn't even spin or light up when it first arrived.

The picture shows one of the nasty surprises awaiting me when rebuilding the on/off switch and wiring it all back together. I had to sacrifice the original yellow covering (which I still have) and replace with yellow heatsink which still needs to "shrunk"! The light bulb got fixed with a little solder and was later covered over with heat shrink.

The is the rebuilt on/off switch. The switch is a simple rocker switch but I dismantled it and did a number of small repairs. Here you can see the various bulbs to be soldered on before it has to be mounted onto the top plate. I've already done some work. This took ages to finish as I had to continually refer to my reference photos and various pics from the net. :)

OK, here she is all wired up. It's not looking very neat and a little Heath-Robinson but that can soon be tidied up. My deck was missing several wires from the on/off switch which meant that it couldn't be wired up properly or tested. The brown wires are a replacement whilst the originals would have been silver. I may replaced these back to silver if I can find a wire which resembles the old stuff. I've kept all the original wiring. I've seen some resto's with replacement wiring but to me that spoils the originality of the deck. I've tried to remain true with this resto.

Final picture. The old girl is all lit up and spins!

I'd say the deck is ~70% complete. The buttons and decals should be made in the next few weeks which brings me even closer to the finish line. The next big thing will be the external top plate which attaches to the main body of the 99 via three screws on the underside of the deck. I already have a cunning plan with respects to how I'm going to make this :eyebrows:. I will reveal more when the time comes. The deck still has it's issues and the linkages are not silky perfect like on my Lenco 75 but that's just teething problems and easily remedied. The idler wheel needs a little adjustment and a quick listen to the motor reveals it to be reasonably quiet. I'm now looking forward to getting this deck finished so I can start work on my Garrard 301 (I have a new bearing coming), and my Lenco 75 Reference. :eek::eyebrows::eek:

As always, stay tuned....

walpurgis
02-09-2017, 20:04
Coming along nicely Andy. A credit to you. :)

brian2957
02-09-2017, 21:15
This is very nice work Andy , as ever . Are you planning to keep this turntable ?

Wakefield Turntables
03-09-2017, 07:46
Coming along nicely Andy. A credit to you. :)

Thanks, still lots to do!

This is very nice work Andy , as ever . Are you planning to keep this turntable ?

Many thanks Brian. I'll probably end up keeping this one, I have a great respect for Lenco. Funny thing is I think I respect a deck more once I've restored it. I think it's down to learning how it works. It gives me another dimension to this hobby and I usually end up keeping the decks I've restored. The only one I sold on was a Thorens TD150 which I specced upto the TD160 super levels. It was a nice deck but a little too polite and undetailed for more liking! I've got a very nice tonearm that I intend to use with the '99. I'll post more when I have a little time.

Wakefield Turntables
11-09-2017, 18:39
Tonights Update - Pt XVI - No more rats nest.

Progress on the 99 has been slow but this is just as I expected. I have been working on my Lenco 75 and Garrard 301 projects and these to some extent have taken up my time. Some times you get fed up of forever working on one deck so I thought the '99 should get a little attention tonight. I decided to tidy the cable work under the lid tonight. The first two pictures show the rats nest that I generated when rewiring the old lady. Some cables needed shortening, some needed repositioning, some needed shrink wrap etc. The third picture shows the finished work and yes she still spins, so I didn't blow anything up!

I still need to produce the decals which is an hour or two's work. The missing buttons are still a WIP. The linkages don't properly work in that they don't engage the idler wheel properly so I think this could be the next job. As ever, stay tuned!

Wakefield Turntables
12-09-2017, 20:17
Tonights Update - Part XVII - Big leap forward

Looks like the CADCAM work is finished, just checking a few bits over and then 3D printing ahoy! So apart from a few small bits of tweaking I have big jobs left.

1. Production of the detatchable top plate.
2. Production of the aluminium fascia.

The detachable top plate is probably going to be the biggest pain as I'm going to have to make a mould and then vacuum form the aluminium over the top. It's good job I have the relevant stuff. I may even start messing around making some card prototype fascia's over the next few days. I'm beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel.
It's all good fun and can't wait to get the old lady playing vinyl again. I'll probably make a simple birchply plinth and mount my SME 3009.

Wakefield Turntables
16-09-2017, 10:15
Today's Update - Pt XVIII - cop a look at these....

A massive thanks to Mark for the work he's put into these.

These are the new on/off switches, speed selector switches. I'll be organising 3D printing over this weekend. Another bid job done on the '99. Now I need to start the final two jobs. I've decided to start measuring up for the external top plate. I'll make this from EVA I have lots at work and it's very easy to work with. I'm thinking 2mm brushed aluminium to vacuum form over the mould. I can see some fun with this!

walpurgis
16-09-2017, 10:33
Nice job Andy.

brian2957
16-09-2017, 10:59
Very nice work Andy . There's a lot of clever people on this forum .

Wakefield Turntables
17-09-2017, 19:18
OOOOOOoooooo I get to play with my knob(s) later this week. :lol: New buttons/selectors on way from Scotland.

brian2957
17-09-2017, 19:25
Hah ! You must have too much time on your hands mate :)

Wakefield Turntables
17-09-2017, 20:00
Part XIX - Mostly 'armless

So, 'bout same time as I bought the '99 I got this.

A completely trashed SME 3009 (Improved) (I think).....

I have real issues seeing old kit like this. Everything on this SME is custom made including the nuts and bolts!!!!!!!!!! Custom made, precision engineering for GODS sake!

A lot of work and some careful coaxing produced a really lovely looking tonearm.

See part 2

Wakefield Turntables
17-09-2017, 20:03
Here we go. Say hello to the 99's new partner in crime with respects to spinning vinyl.

More next week when we look at cheap and cheerful plinth designs.

Wakefield Turntables
24-09-2017, 19:40
Tonights Update - Pt XX - Buttons and decals

Just a small update tonight. I've finally got the buttons installed on the deck and I managed to get the decals printed up and sprayed.

There is still some fine tuning with the deck but I'm hopeful to have it mounted in a plinth in the day or so :eek:. I've managed to salvage something retro from my first ever Lenco purchase :wowzer:. The plinth may need a little modding but that's ok it's better than it sitting collecting dust in my cellar. I'll also be able to get the SME 3009 mounted and maybe get a tune out of the old girl. Wonders will never cease! As always, stay tuned.

YNWaN
28-09-2017, 19:48
Do the buttons all fit and work then Andrew? Please leat me know if they don’t. I’ve not forgotten, just been very busy, I’ll send you the old on/off switch and the bit of trim.

Wakefield Turntables
28-09-2017, 20:04
Do the buttons all fit and work then Andrew? Please leat me know if they don’t. I’ve not forgotten, just been very busy, I’ll send you the old on/off switch and the bit of trim.

The speed selector switch works a treat the on/off switches not so good :(. The on/off switches do work but I think I need to build the detatchable top plate that comes with these machines. I've been busy restoring a plinth I found in my works cellar for the 99. The plinth needs a little modding and repair but should be good for the 99 and the SME tonearm. I'll then probably get around to making the detachable top plate and aluminium fascia. I've been a little overwhelmed with other projects. I've just finished a new PSU for the EAR 834 clone and a new round of upgrades for the Garrard 301 and then I'm still evaluating Simon's wonderful new mods to the Paradise.

Wakefield Turntables
25-10-2017, 19:50
Tonights Update - Part XXI - Old mother hubbard audio cupboard.

Mines running a bit bare! I've emptied the garage of all my spares over the last few months on the various projects that I've had up and running and now I'm the process of getting rid of excess MDF and birchply so I thought I'd make the '99 a plinth! This is my first attempt at such a job. Making a plinth is not hard but making it look nice and neat is something else. The '99 was never really meant to be a reference level deck it was purely a restoration project. Maybe, if I get bored I may start to fettle but my main priority is to get it mounted and for it to stop cluttering my listening room floor, I also want the SME 3009 tonearm mounted so that my room looks a little less messy.

So here's the '99 in prototype plinth with a SME mount ready to be cut out. I'll be making a SME armboard from scraps around the garage. It still needs to be cut down and a few more layers added but hopefully I should have something before the end of this month/middle of next.

Stay tuned.

brian2957
25-10-2017, 20:03
That looks like a good start Andy :)

Wakefield Turntables
25-10-2017, 20:05
That looks like a good start Andy :)

Lets hope I can keep it up :eek:

brian2957
25-10-2017, 20:12
I doubt you've given in yet on a project :)

Wakefield Turntables
29-10-2017, 19:45
Tonights Update - Part XXII - Nearly playing vinyl

I've very very nearly achieved one of the major objectives for this restoration and that was to get the 99 playing vinyl again. The second objective was to fully rebuild the 99 with all it's components, this is still on going. I've nearly completed my MDF plinth and birchply SME tonearm board, all made from scraps sitting around the garage, total cost, NOWT! OK, I'm no Thomas Chippingdale but it's functional. It houses the 99 and allows my to play vinyl. I'll be bolting a SME 3009 to the deck and now the fun bit. I'm going to hunt for an old MC or MM on ebay and have a little fun with some brands that I've not tried before. I've got some speaker spikes (£6 from hifi collective) to enable levelling the deck and add a little isolation from vibration. The 99's linkages need a little work but I'm aiming to get some vinyl spun before the end of this week.

brian2957
29-10-2017, 20:14
Looking forward to your first impressions Andy :)

Wakefield Turntables
03-11-2017, 20:38
Tonights Update - Part XXIII - Very Very Very nearly playing vinyl Pt 2 :eek:

Alongside modding a Lenco GL75, A Garrard 301 and building a EAR 834 MM phonostage I found a little time to work on the 99. :piano: (I've never used this one before). I've been slowly clearing out my garage and decided to use up a few bits of MDF I had laying around to make a plinth. I've never done one before so here are a couple of picture of my rather rubbish attempts.

And now we have the 99 mounted in a plinth with the SME 3009. The 3009 needs to be properly attached to the plinth and it needs a cart and a headshell. Well I managed to find a cartridge from China delievered for £2.99 :rfl: (SERIOUSLY)! A headshell need to be found, one may be lurking somewhere! Well thats it for now. The linkages need a little work and once these are sorted I shall start to make the attachable top plate that the deck is missing.

STAY TOONED PEEPS! :D

Wakefield Turntables
15-11-2017, 20:58
Tonight's Update - Part XXIII - Big shift forward.

The 99 project has been on hold for a while whilst I have been busy getting the Garrard 301 updated and a whole skew of other projects finished, even my beloved Lenco 75 has been sidelined. Anyway, some good news. I've managed to find a headshell (REGA) which matches the SME 3009, a cartridge is now on it's way. I've still not played any vinyl yet but that's for another day. The major news is that it looks like I may have finally sourced a plastic top fascia for the 99. This is the holy grail of spare parts for the 99 and like hen's teeth to find. I did make some enquirers in Australia to a Lenco owner that looked like he'd sell me his but it all went pear shaped. The plastic top plate is screwed into place with (i think) six screws so I'll need to source some screws which match the originals but I can't see being a big deal, probably lots of skulking around B&Q, Homebase, Screwfix or somewhere else with similar looking screws :flasher:. I'd be mighty relieved if I can source this top-fascia as it saves me a lot of time and effort trying to replicate something similar. It's also quite sad as the deck will be 97.5% finished with only the on/off switched to be properly made. Fingers crossed that this all works. out.

Wakefield Turntables
01-12-2017, 20:41
Tonight's Update - Part XXIV - Finish line visible, but still some work to do :eek:

Have a look at this...

It's the Goldring with a 88 fascia. It's the best I could do to replace the 99 fascia. There are some marked changes over the 88 and 99 fascia's but the screw holes are in the same place. The lighting is different as there is no facility for the '99s strobe light, the on/off switch is also different. The colour of the fascia is different but that can easily be changed and the speed selection is different, again we should be able to modify this. I really do wish I had a 99 fascia but beggars can't be choosers. The screws holding the fascia in place are also quite specific in that they have to be flat head screws and I think they are M3 diameter, I really must check. I now need to buy some 1mm aluminum and cut down to fit the fascia. The lettering on the 99's aluminum fascia has several variations but I think I'm sticking with what I have prepared. I have also managed to repair the spring mechanism on the underside of the 99. I still have several washers and nuts floating around, I think I need to do another idiot check to see where they belong. So, I hoping to have the modded fascia finished and installed sometime January. I'm hoping to play my first vinyl in January. Stay tuned.....:cool:

brian2957
01-12-2017, 20:49
Put that in a nice plinth and it'll look stunning Andy . I'm well impressed mate :respect:

walpurgis
01-12-2017, 20:56
Looking good Andy, considering what you started with. Nice effort! :thumbsup:

Wakefield Turntables
02-12-2017, 18:40
Thanks as ever.

Wakefield Turntables
09-12-2017, 20:23
Tonight's Update - Part XXV - Kind of Grey...

It's Xmas and working in the garage is pretty limited due to it being very cold but I did manage to snag a few hours on the '99 and it's now looking like the finished product. Take a look at these.

The top plate fascia needed some modification. Firstly the speed selector area needed filling in, this took several days of careful filling, sanding, more filling, sanding etc etc. I had to sacrifice one of the screw fastening areas to enable the speed selector switch to fit, I still have four remaining so the fascia should still contact pretty well. I also primed the top plate and now it fits perfectly and also the speed selector knob fits as well. I need to find four screws which fit the fastening sections on the underside of the plinth, that should be a five minute job in the garage tomorrow. I've also correctly attached the strobe light now even though you cant see it. I'm now missing three parts to finish the 99, a proper strobe window and a proper set of on/off switches. The fascia needs spraying (I have the correct colour) and the final metal fascia needs to be made. I've still to modify the plastic fascia to accommodate the strobe window but I've decided to take a slowly slowly attitude with this restoration. I have three other decks to play with so I'm in no hurry to screw this one up ;). As ever, stay tuned.

Wakefield Turntables
09-02-2018, 20:52
Tonight's Update Pt XXVI - Springing from Lethergy

It's been a long time since I've spent any time on the 99. It's been cold in the garage and I just haven't felt like doing anything on this deck. So, I decided to finalise a few little details. Firstly, I decided to order some brushed aluminium from here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Brushed-Anodised-Sheet-All-1mm-Thick-Cut-to-your-exact-sizes/273050338929?var=572296726292&hash=item3f93118671:m:mv0e28_EiM9XGtOsfaEZ0tg this comes with a adhesive on the back which should make things a lot easier. I also decided upon the final design of lettering for the face plate. It appears Goldring had several versions of the G99 lettering on the top face plate. I decided to go with this version as it's the one I already have printed up.

Goldring also did a version of the "G99" red lettering with the G in a circle. The strobe light also has a clear see through cover which is something that I have also replicated.I'll make a template of the positions of the on/off switches, power light, strobe etc which I can then impose over the aluminium and then cut to match. I can then properly paint the plastic under fascia the same colour as the chasis and then we have very very nearly finished.

Stay tuned.

Wakefield Turntables
25-02-2018, 19:50
Tonight's Update Pt XXVII - Manning up!

The 99 is very very slowly progressing. The aluminium has now arrived and I marked out a template last night. I also ordered some tin snips to help with the cutting, I don't have access to a laser and my Jigsaw ain't up to the task. I'll be taking the metal fascia production VERY slowly, I'm in no rush and can afford to take my time. I have enough metal to have another two goes if this screws up ;).

I also managed to find a 3rd matching mounting bolt which I've polished up so we now have 3 original bolts instead of the mish-mash of stuff supplied with the deck. I also managed to do a little research into the serial number of the deck and can confirm that mine dates from 1974. I managed to find two photographs from a G99 invoice for a unit which is a little earlier than my own. This is also very important because it means that the lettering on my deck is also of the correct vintage and I think that my deck must have been one of the last few hundred to be released.

The 99's plinth could do with a little work and I may veneer it at some point or add a little extra mass with some birch ply that I have sitting in the garage. I've always had an eye of the costings for this build and consequently have always tried to use stuff up that is otherwise cluttering up the garage, so the plinth construction is following this philosophy :lol:. My SME 3009 also needs a little work and I may also finish off my DECCA mk2 tonearm to mount on this deck, who knows!!! As ever, stay tuned. :)

brian2957
25-02-2018, 20:00
No stone left unturned eh Andy . Gotta admire your perseverance sir :)

Wakefield Turntables
25-02-2018, 20:23
No stone left unturned eh Andy . Gotta admire your perseverance sir :)

Thanks. I happened across these purely by chance. I was doing a little research to check the accuracy of the various gubbins on the underside of the deck. It looks like Goldring had several versions of this deck, as mentioned mine appears to be one of the older ones.

Wakefield Turntables
02-03-2018, 19:57
Tonight's Update Pt XXVIII - One man and his Russian tin snips.

Went in to work today after having three days off with the snow storms. I have been awaiting some tin-snips that I ordered from e-Bay, three pairs + some free work gloves £10 posted :eek:. The progress of the '99 has been Ferrari like over the last few days, what with 2 updates in less than 10 days. :lol: I've now cut the metal fascia for the '99 using the tin-snips was the cheap and easy way to produce something which looks pretty decent (pictures when camera working). I now have to drill some mounting holes and then produce cut out for the on/off switch, strobe, power light and of course the speed selection dial. I'm hoping to get the fascia finished over the next two weeks and this will mean the last of the big jobs for this '99 restoration. I've also finely polished the mounting nuts they now have a mirror finish which looks very smart.

Stay tuned... :cool:

hifi_dave
03-03-2018, 10:30
I really admire your skill and perseverance. I wouldn't have even taken on that wreck but you have made it like new.

Wakefield Turntables
04-03-2018, 19:21
Tonight's Update Pt XXIX - All tooled up!

Another update! Well why not, I've been ill, I'm bored and this is a great remedy for the Sunday blues. I've been tweaking the metal fascia a bit more today and slowly but surely nibbling and filing it to an almost perfect fit, it still needs a tiny amount of work but its probably 99% cut to size. I've ordered some jewellers files (£3.95) :eek: today so that I can produce a nice clean finish to the rectangular cut that will have to be produced later. The mounting bolt and the strobe window and the speed dial are all quite easy and should be done in an afternoon. The on/off switch is probably going to be the hard bit, but we shall see. I still need to check that the 3009 works and I'll probably add some more layers to the plinth which will ultimately properly squared off and then probably veneered in something weird and wonderful.

I really admire your skill and perseverance. I wouldn't have even taken on that wreck but you have made it like new.

Thanks very much. It's been nearly a year since I started preserving this one, slow but steady!

As ever stay tuned! :cool:

brian2957
04-03-2018, 20:52
Nice work Andy . One of them little multi tools should make short work of the rest of the mods :)

Wakefield Turntables
18-03-2018, 20:15
Tonight's Update Pt XXX - Nit Pickin'.

The 99 continues to be slowly restored and I continue to find out more about these decks. You'll notice on the picture below that there are three red ovals highlighting various components on the G99 (this is not my deck). Firstly you'll see a spring at the top of the picture, this little bugger drove me nuts. It's turns out that it only appeared on later models and can be used to date your 99, the Lenco community think that it was probably used to smooth out the speed selection on the G99, we'll never really know. My deck is missing this spring so I'm on the look out for something to replace it. The spring research also solved another mystery to my own 99 in that I had a few hooks and washer sitting around which it now turns out are for this very spring. The birthday of all G99's appears to be have been stamped un the underside of the deck opposite left of the bearing. My deck unfortunately had no paperwork to verify it's purchase and there were no markings either so this little detail will have to be left out :(.

Here's some more geeky stuff for you. If you look at the bottom left of the picture you'll see a blue capacitor on the on/off switch. The colour of the capacitor can be used to roughly date your G99, mine very own 99 has a completely different colour to the one in the picture. The G99 in the picture was born in 1970 and you can see it has a blue capacitor. My 99 was born in 1974 and has a completely different component altogether. So, it's possible with a little examination to put a rough age to these 99's.

Now my final problem. I've been very very slowly chipping away at the metal fascia for the top plate and have hit a little snag. The speed selector switch is proving to be a real pain in the backside and I'm not sure how to progress. I've asked the Lenco community for some help and await any ideas that they may have. I do have a fix and I think it should be ok but it's always worth while checking. Now, if you look at the bottom left of the picture you will see three small lugs need the speed selector switch. I'm not quite sure what they are, I think they are just attachment legs from the fascia but I'm not sure, and herein lies the problem, what happens if it's a component I'm missing? :eek: The last 10% of this restoration seems to be taking up 90% of my attention, how does that work? :scratch:

Anyway, stay tuned... :cool:

brian2957
18-03-2018, 20:33
Tidy work Andy . It seems the minutiae always takes the most time . I'm pretty sure you'll get there Andy .

Wakefield Turntables
25-03-2018, 18:45
Tonight's Update Pt XXXI - Sweating more of the small stuff....

It surprises me just how great the Lenco community is. I asked a few questions about a pretty obscure Idler turntable that
stopped production in the mid 70's and I get an avalanche of replies and offers from help from all over the world. I've
had helped for many of our esteemed Lenco buddies in the UK, thanks Jolly, bluetomgold and then Steve M in Canada,
Vanakaru in Estonia, Wout in the Netherlands, Chris is New Zealand. All this help over one spring!!! I need to say a
massive thanks for Vanakaru in Estonia for sending the actual spring that I needed. I also asked a question with regards
the metal fascia and then I get a message from Mattias in Sweden with full colour photographs from the underside of his
G99. Priceless. These photographs did actually help me to recognise the type of mounting screw that I need for the plastic
top fascia to the chasis of the G99 (rounded flatbed), yes I'm a geek but this restoration has to be as accurate as possible
wherever possible, I even went to the trouble of finding the correct diameter screw head!!!

It turns out the I'd also been incorrectly screwing the speed selector to the chasis and I'd been connecting it upside down
which makes feel a little stupid. I also managed to finish the speed selector today in that I finally modified the metal
top part from an old L75 speed selector and glued it into place. This took a whole side of Miles Davis before I was happy
with the fit!! The correct stabilising spring is now attached to the G99's speed selector mechanism which is another small
job off my list. The metal fascia has now hit a brick wall in that the buttons that I had made are fractionally too big and
I can't see a way of modification to make them work. They are very delicate so I can't grind them so I think the only way
forward is to have some new smaller version made which now means the metal fascia is buggered as I have cut out a button
hole which is now too big!! This is not a problem as the fascia can still be used as a template for when I make a new one.
I still have a little work to do with the metal fascia and that's the strobe light window. This work has meant that I had to modify
the plastic G88 chasis and drill and a rectangular window and then the same had to be done with the metal fascia. This part
of the fasica wasn't as hard as I originally thought it just needed a little time and consideration. The final and last part
to the fascia is the speed selection switch. I need to perform some pretty accurate drilling on both the plastic chasis first
and then this needs to be repeated on the metal fascia then this should complete the hard work.

The home straight is within site with the plastic and metal fascia. I probably need to prime the plastic chasis again and then
finally paint it. I'll stick the metal fascia onto the plastic fascia with super strong double sided sticky as I don't really
fancy using glue due to its uneven nature when spreading and curing. The decals need putting onto the metal fascia alongside
some clear varnish and then the G99 is 99.9% finished! I'll add some photo's at a later date.

Wakefield Turntables
29-03-2018, 19:51
Tonight's Update Pt XXXII - G99 is 99% finished!

Here's a piccie of my 99 with the metal fascia nearly finished. The speed selector switch has been fixed into place, the strobe light window has been cut. All I need to do is get the on/off switches installed and install the decals and then it's complete. The plastic component of the top plate needs some more primer adding and then spraying, all of which can be done in a day. It's quite sad really in that the old girl is nearly finished. I guess this will give me more time to play around with the '75 and my Garrard 301. I will of course always be on the look out for restorations. So as always, stay tuned...... :cool:

walpurgis
29-03-2018, 19:58
Great going Andy. Especially when one considers what you started from. Well done mate! :thumbsup:

Wakefield Turntables
29-03-2018, 20:15
Great going Andy. Especially when one considers what you started from. Well done mate! :thumbsup:

Thanks, it's just been steady sway.

Barry
29-03-2018, 23:49
Will be interested in the comparison with your 301 (if that ever gets finished :eyebrows:)

I have only had a fleeting experience with a 301, but two 99s passed through my hands.

Marra
30-03-2018, 07:54
Quodos Andy. A job well done.

brian2957
30-03-2018, 07:58
Aye well done Andy . You're getting rather good at this restoration stuff :)

Wakefield Turntables
12-04-2018, 20:53
Tonight's Update Pt XXXIII - A friend from Europe.

Looks like we'll have some new on/off switches organised and to the correct sizes. This little venture came with the help from fellow audio addicts from Austria and Scotland. Isn't it great when we can communicate and get a job done! More when I have them sitting on the deck.

Wakefield Turntables
02-09-2018, 18:06
Tonight's update - Pt XXXIV - Still chipping away... slowly

The G99 continues to be a perplexing animal. I haven't touched it in 5 months as I decided I needed a rest and had other more pressing projects. I decided to start looking at G99 pictures today after a couple of threads appeared on Lenco Heaven with respects to the strobe and the speed selector both of which are not complete on my own example of the G99. Both of the threads yielded a great deal of important information with respects to the composition of the G99. The strobe housing had a mirror attached and the casing is a lot more complex than I expected so it looks like I may need to make a mould so that I can vacuum form something which resembles the housing, I can see this is going to be very hit and miss, more fun and games :doh:

The strobe casing. I have some measurements so I "should" be able to make something similar.

The speed selector is proving to be a little more difficult to complete. It turns out that I'm missing x4 screws and x4 grommets to help the speed selector. I do remember having a very small bag of spares so I'm hoping that these could be the long lost missing bits that didn't seem to fit anywhere. The screws should be pretty easy to replace but the grommets are going to have to be custom made or bought as spares from somewhere. I have already made a request over on Lenco heaven for help but if anyone on AOS can help then please send me a PM. Finally thanks to Xerox over on LH I now know the positions of how the grommets should be fixed once located.

It also appears that Goldring had two versions of the speed selector. The early machines differ in that they don't have any cut out around the speed selector switch whilst the later G99 appear to be exactly the same as the G88. It looks like the early G99 top plates were "proper" G99's and designed slightly differently to later versions. The later G99's top plate may have been modified from left over G88 top plates and modded into G99's this may explain why the G88 plastic top cover fits perfectly on my G99. So whilst I'm no further far forward with finishing this project it has clarified a few things and made me realise I'm still missing a few bits and bobs. I'll now ponder how to make the strobe casing.

Thanks for reading.

walpurgis
02-09-2018, 18:12
I'll now ponder how to make the strobe casing.

Cut the sections from clear acrylic sheet and bond them with 'Plastic Weld'.

Wakefield Turntables
02-09-2018, 18:50
Cut the sections from clear acrylic sheet and bond them with 'Plastic Weld'.

Thanks, never heard of "plastic weld". Must do some research. I've been threatening for ages to get a hobby band saw, this could be the tipping point. ;)

walpurgis
02-09-2018, 18:59
Thanks, never heard of "plastic weld". Must do some research. I've been threatening for ages to get a hobby band saw, this could be the tipping point. ;)

It's very effective Andy. I've been using it for TT lid repairs and bonding other bits.

struth
02-09-2018, 20:18
Chloroform works well with Perspex. That's what we used to use to fabricate signs with.

sq225917
02-09-2018, 20:21
trichloroethane will do it as well.

Wakefield Turntables
02-09-2018, 20:29
trichloroethane will do it as well.

1-1-1 Trichloroethane - in tipex!

mikmas
02-09-2018, 21:12
Tensol is the stuff for Perspex - nothing else comes anywhere near (if you want a bond that lasts....)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TENSOL-12-Acrylic-Adhesive-50ml-Bottle-Perspex-Bonding-Glue-Cement-/131755687310

I've used litres of the stuff in the past .... machine covers, display cases, laminating, jewellery ... etc, etc

Wakefield Turntables
03-09-2018, 08:13
Tensol is the stuff for Perspex - nothing else comes anywhere near (if you want a bond that lasts....)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TENSOL-12-Acrylic-Adhesive-50ml-Bottle-Perspex-Bonding-Glue-Cement-/131755687310

I've used litres of the stuff in the past .... machine covers, display cases, laminating, jewellery ... etc, etc

thanks for the recommendation mike.

ianlenco
04-09-2018, 08:10
I really admire your perseverance Andrew - the effort you are putting in to keep the original look is truly admirable. I feel a bit ashamed that my G99 which was probably in better shape than yours ended up like this:

http://i8.tinypic.com/5y9vj2o.jpg

Then it got modded further to this - Linn LP12 bearing and platter.

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu293/thebriars/stan1.jpg

I was in my mod anything Lenco phase at the time. Keep up the good work.

Primalsea
04-09-2018, 09:30
I don’t know what the grommets look like but you might find something that will work or something that you can modify at https://www.vital-parts.co.uk

Wakefield Turntables
04-09-2018, 19:37
Tonight's update - Pt XXXV - A bit more clarification.

A minor update in that a fellow Lenconian from New Zealand (thank mate) over on LH sent me this :-

I hope you can all see the picture. I need 4 of these. If you think help me in making these, have a set, or know anyone who can help then please mail me. I've made a few enquirers over on LH but I'm still waiting for replies.

I really admire your perseverance Andrew - the effort you are putting in to keep the original look is truly admirable. I feel a bit ashamed that my G99 which was probably in better shape than yours ended up like this:

http://i8.tinypic.com/5y9vj2o.jpg

Then it got modded further to this - Linn LP12 bearing and platter.

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu293/thebriars/stan1.jpg

I was in my mod anything Lenco phase at the time. Keep up the good work.

No worries your deck looks great. I just wished you kept the 4 bloody grommets so I could buy them from you! :doh:

I don’t know what the grommets look like but you might find something that will work or something that you can modify at https://www.vital-parts.co.uk

Thank's I'll have a good like around.

As ever stay tuned!

ianlenco
04-09-2018, 20:42
I've still got a few boxes of bits lying around though not sorted into Lenco models. Have you got a better photo? I'll have a look.

Edit, seen your photo on LH - will have a look to see if I still have them.

Wakefield Turntables
09-12-2018, 21:03
Tonight's update - Pt XXXVI - Patience...

Tonight I bought this.

It's another G99 in a slightly less distressed state than my original purchase. It's extremely difficult hunting parts for a G99 and my current project has stalled, this deck will enable me to finally look at the speed selection mechanism, the strobe light casing and the on/off switches. With a little luck I should be able to fabricate new parts and correctly install old ones. This is now a labour of love and I WILL SEE THIS PROJECT THROUGH!!!! :trust:

RobbieGong
09-12-2018, 21:04
Tonight's update - Pt XXXVI - Patience...

Tonight I bought this.

It's another G99 in a slightly less distressed state than my original purchase. It's extremely difficult hunting parts for a G99 and my current project has stalled, this deck will enable me to finally look at the speed selection mechanism, the strobe light casing and the on/off switches. With a little luck I should be able to fabricate new parts and correctly install old ones. This is now a labour of love and I WILL SEE THIS PROJECT THROUGH!!!! :trust:

Top man :thumbsup:

Wakefield Turntables
09-12-2018, 21:14
Top man :thumbsup:

Thanks Rob, I think this could be my winter project.

Wakefield Turntables
13-12-2018, 20:43
Well the new "study" deck has turned up. Should be picking her up tomorrow, the project continues....!

Wakefield Turntables
16-12-2018, 19:47
Tonight's update - Pt XXXVII - Treasure trove....

I hope your sitting comfortably for tonights update. I recently purchase a very very cheap Goldring G99 from eScum and it arrived a few days ago. Today I finally managed to open my 11kg package and then examine the contents. This G99 was in fully working order but very tatty. The platter had unacceptable chips, the wiring should have been condemned, rust had started to affected the pressed metal top plate, the on/off switch mechanism was buckled, all these are problems which I overcame during my restoration of my first G99 and I did not fancy having to do those jobs again.

Owning a complete donor deck enables you to see the bits that you got wrong or simply didn't have. The plastic top fascia being a case of point. My adopted G88 plastic fascia was quite different from the G99's and I'm now glad that I have an original G99 top plastic fascia to put on the deck. It needs a good clean! I've now also got the clear plastic strobe window which is something I didn't have. My donor deck also came with a very scruffy metal top cover, many dints, dings, scuffs, so I will be quite happy to fabricate something new. I now have the metal top cover stripped off, it's very flimsy, perhaps 0.5mm brushed stainless steel and held in place with liberally placed glue from the 1960's, which stinks! I did fabricate one metal top cover but it turns out that it's not as accurate as I would have hoped and so it's been binned. The font's on the old metal top fascia from the donor deck are an exact match to the transfers that I made early this year, I can also now precisely place all the transfers onto any new top plate I fabricate to within a mm or two of the original positions. I now also have the correct mounting screws for the plastic top fascia, again something I didn't have.

24927 24928

The donor deck also provided a new speed selector switch and more importantly two on/off switches. One of the on/off switches needs to be refurbished and the speed selector switch needs a little work as well. I also have all the corrects parts to properly select the individual speeds on the G99.

The components of the speed selector section needs to be dismantled, ultrasonically cleaned and then polished. This then completes a big section of this decks restoration. Perhaps the most fragile and complex part of the G99 is the strobe lights housing. This is held in place with two tiny 1mm grub screws. I need to re-attach the mirror which came with the strobe light housing and it needs cleaning up, but this is a small job.

Other areas of geekdom, I'm happy to report that the platter re-spray was exactly the same colour and the chassis respray wasn't quite as accurate but as near as I could achieve, my resto is a slightly lighter grey but I'm being super picky. There are a couple of other areas not quite right on my resto, firstly, the idler wheel rubber was not as narrow as it should have been, this has now been replaced, secondly one of the idler linkage springs was not of the correct tension, this has also been replaced. I'll shove some more pictures up when I have a little more time. That's it for tonight.

Stay tuned.... :cool:

Wakefield Turntables
05-05-2019, 18:27
Tonight's update - Pt XXXVIII - I'll be back....

See I told you all I would see this project through. So, here is the G99 finished, spinning but still not up to the standards that I would like. I now have original G99 speed selector and on/off switches, these replaced some 3D jobbies that I had made. The plastic top plate is G99 original and so are the on/off switches. The restoration does have some minor issues that I'm not happy about, firstly the metal fascia has scratches and dings which whilst not taking anything away from the playing of vinyl do annoy an OCD restorer like myself. The strobe housing is original and now works, although the viewer is cracked! Such is life. I have ordered a Carl Ellis plinth and will salvage my HRS1000 tonearm for vinyl spinning duties. So here she is, fired up and spinning.

Until next time.

oldius
05-05-2019, 18:57
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/46992732554_55b6d1d011_b.jpg

This was mine. Bloody awesome deck.

Wakefield Turntables
05-05-2019, 19:06
You've now severely depressed me you had a perfect metal top plate fascia. :(:)