PDA

View Full Version : Steve Earle says modern country stars make 'hip hop for people who are afraid .....

Neil McCauley
28-07-2017, 08:14
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/steve-earle-country-music-nashville-chris-stapleton-kendrick-lamar-oasis-a7791486.html

ReggieB
28-07-2017, 13:20
I do love a bit of Steve Earle.

Arkless Electronics
28-07-2017, 13:32
Not so sure about the headline but I've noticed that country does seem to be changing a great deal and for the better these days... I would have generally said that country was a genre I just can't abide... the worst "music" with the possible exception of the hip hop/urban/"R & B" shite that dominates the radio these days. But I've found when listening to The Bob Harris country show on Radio 2 that a lot of the latest stuff is really good! I wouldn't personally have even classed it as country personally.. more like American folk music or just decent acoustic music. Stuff like Gillian Welch etc... nice.

walpurgis
28-07-2017, 14:17
Not so sure about the headline but I've noticed that country does seem to be changing a great deal and for the better these days... I would have generally said that country was a genre I just can't abide... the worst "music" with the possible exception of the hip hop/urban/"R & B" shite that dominates the radio these days. But I've found when listening to The Bob Harris country show on Radio 2 that a lot of the latest stuff is really good! I wouldn't personally have even classed it as country personally.. more like American folk music or just decent acoustic music. Stuff like Gillian Welch etc... nice.

That is the point. 'Country Music' (which I loathe) can't remain country music and be good. If it's good, then it's not country music.

struth
28-07-2017, 14:21
all musical catagories cross to an extent. gill welsh is a bit bluegrass, american folk but so is most country tbh. the stuff folk accuse country of being is just a small segment...its a big world.
i might add i like lots of different styles of country including mr cash

Arkless Electronics
28-07-2017, 14:41
That is the point. 'Country Music' (which I loathe) can't remain country music and be good. If it's good, then it's not country music.

Yeah I'll go with that!:D

Arkless Electronics
28-07-2017, 14:47
all musical catagories cross to an extent. gill welsh is a bit bluegrass, american folk but so is most country tbh. the stuff folk accuse country of being is just a small segment...its a big world.
i might add i like lots of different styles of country including mr cash

I also like Cash but most of the trad big names in country, Charlie Pride, Merle Haggard, etc etc I can't stand!

To tie in with what Geoff said, most of the modern stuff I do like just doesn't sound to me like country music. If it did I wouldn't like it!

struth
28-07-2017, 14:55
depends on my mood. if i just want a singalong then its ok...glen campbell here we come:eek:

walpurgis
28-07-2017, 14:57
depends on my mood. if i just want a singalong then its ok...glen campbell here we come:eek:

:rolleyes:

(:D)

struth
28-07-2017, 15:13
take me home, country roads, coz jez and geoff want to kill me.............:eyebrows:

walpurgis
28-07-2017, 15:16
take me home, country roads, coz jez and geoff want to kill me.............:eyebrows:

I worry about you sometimes Grant! :lol:

Pharos
28-07-2017, 16:10
Although much country is to me dire with its repeated dum, dum, . . . alternating bass line and major chords, usually making it mundane and banal, there are exceptions.

Jonny Cash's 'Stuck a needle in my arm' is so loaded with angst about the human condition, that its raw depth is really penetrating. I also like Alison Krauss and Union Station stuff, her vocals are so exquisitely polished.

There was a good programme on American folk a few days ago from Reginald D Hunter, and another some time ago from Rich Hall, another American comedian which was very insightful and pithy.

Arkless Electronics
28-07-2017, 16:46
Although much country is to me dire with its repeated dum, dum, . . . alternating bass line and major chords, usually making it mundane and banal, there are exceptions.

Jonny Cash's 'Stuck a needle in my arm' is so loaded with angst about the human condition, that its raw depth is really penetrating. I also like Alison Krauss and Union Station stuff, her vocals are so exquisitely polished.

There was a good programme on American folk a few days ago from Reginald D Hunter, and another some time ago from Rich Hall, another American comedian which was very insightful and pithy.

Yup that's it.. and then there's the twanging.... pedal steel guitar etc saccharine puke making etc.

Anything "stetson positive" ARGHH!!

Macca
28-07-2017, 16:49
, and another some time ago from Rich Hall, another American comedian which was very insightful and pithy.

I've seen that and it is very good even though it isn't my type of music. All Rich Hall's docs are worth watching, funny and interesting, no dumbing down. Surprised they even let him make them.