PDA

View Full Version : foobar or VLC?

JohnMcC
27-07-2017, 20:53
I've been using foobar 2000 to play mostly FLAC files from a PC and a portable hard drive for a couple of years now, and I'm very pleased with it. I control it with the Android app from an old smartphone. But I've only just seen that you can control the VLC media player from an android phone, so the question is: is there any advantage in using VLC rather than foobar for lossless music listening? Be gentle, I'm an idiot!:scratch:

stairpost
27-07-2017, 21:58
I've always preferred foobar over VLC when I listen to anything on my laptop. I can't honestly tell you that I heard any difference in sound quality, but foobar just did a better job.

Yomanze
04-09-2017, 06:51
I prefer Foobar2000 too.

It also has a great ABX test plugin that I used extensively during my mp3 / FLAC testing. :P

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_abx

struth
04-09-2017, 08:22
Used Foobar a lot, but only tried vlc once and didnt like. probably my fault. Its worth buying Jriver though. its streets ahead

WESTLOWER
04-09-2017, 08:27
Can you stream Tidal with Jriver??
I use LMS on a small synology NAS at the moment with Ipeng as a controller.
It's great and works and sounds wonderful..BUT...it will only show the first 500 items in your favourite Lp / Artist list
from Tidal. It shows ALL the my stored local files but as I say only 500 items from Tidal..
sorry to BumRush the thread.