PDA

View Full Version : Vintage CD Players - What do you have?

The Black Adder
27-01-2010, 15:22
Hello there.

I'm after spending around £200 on a cd player. Had the ARCAM Alpha (which I may revert back to if I can't find anything) - now wanting to try something else preferably with the same DAC.

So, has anyone here had or got a CREEK CD60? - Or a Radford WS1?

I'm after something that can be modded to NOS and even possibly to a valve output stage.

Can anyone give me any advice? The CD60 seems like a decent place to start me thinks.

Cheers!

UV101
27-01-2010, 20:33
Ah! The TDA1541A!

I have a philips CD960 (same internals as Marantz CD94) and now have the S2 Double crown chip! See my pics in my profile here.

If you are looking for lists of players with the same chip, check this out

http://www.marantzphilips.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

Incidentally, you only need to go NOS if you don't want to properly sort the SAA7220 out. I've found in serveral players now that if you independantly drive the 7220 with a very low noise 5v reg on its own psu,and move the clocking distribution away from the very noisy chip, that the sound is miles better with the OS left in! Much fuller and dynamic. But it doesn't work without effort! NOS is the easy way out for nil cost gains. If you want proper high end sound you want the filter chip still in there!

I have a marantz cd50 with no 7220 connected (NOS) a clock and a few other bits and its good for sure. My CD960 is in another league by miles!.

Incidentally the Meridian 207MKII does not have an S2 fitted as per that link! its a std A chip!

StanleyB
28-01-2010, 10:15
Ah! The TDA1541A!

I have a philips CD960 (same internals as Marantz CD94)
Not strictly correct. The MKI CD94 had a few differences, and the MKII quite a lot.

UV101
28-01-2010, 11:54
You are absolutely correct Stanley.

It is almost identical to the MKI but there are indeed several differences in the MKII.

My player is virtually internally the same as THIS (http://www.marantzphilips.nl/index.asp?strPage=Info&strBrand=Marantz&strType=cd94) MKI CD94 which to be honest is much better looking than my CD960!

I think there are a few very slight layout changes in the CD94 + there is a psu cap change on the 5v rail (94 uses 2 caps where the 960 uses 1)(*edit the one in the picture on the link has the same layout as mine).I think there may also be a cap type change on 2 or 3 other components too. I'm not personally aware of an other differences but I would love to know of any others.

The MKII is HERE (http://www.marantzphilips.nl/marantz_cd94_mkII_cdplayer/). The MKII is very similar in servo, PSU's Decoder and filter section. The final I/V and output section is also very similar with the addition of a summing section. The main difference is the MKII uses twin TDA1541A S1 Single crowns on a sub board just above where the single S2 Double crown resides in my player.

Given a choice on the 2, I'd love a MKII but then I'd be forced to try and find another S2 chip!!

The Black Adder
28-01-2010, 14:16
cheers guys, cool - I'll keep my eyes open for either of those models.

Would you recommend the Meridian 206 over the Creek CD60?

UV101
28-01-2010, 14:35
Hi Joe, If you're thinking about a Meridian 206, you need to be carefull because I think there are 4 versions. Its the std 206 you want. I'd not like to 100% guarantee that it will come with an S1 dac either!!

I've found some details on the Creek on lampizator.eu. It looks like the CD60 does come with an S1 as std. If you intend to tinker with the player a bit, the Creek may be slightly easier for you. The Meridian is ace but as I've found with my 207, difficult to obtain service information and unlikely to share any mechanical bits with other players.

All in all, I like the Merdian but looking at the internals of the cd60, it will be every bit as good and easier to source mechanical parts!

DSJR
28-01-2010, 16:29
As above... Bits for many vintage players have run out and it's only the heavy build of these that has kept them going for so long..

The Linn Karik 1 is now a vintage player and although Linn have withdrawn service support, I understand the laser is available still (there was a whole thread on PFM about it)..

The Black Adder
28-01-2010, 22:06
ok.. my quest still going on. Keeping the options open.

B&O - I've looked at a Beogram 6500 but I'm not sure if it has the TDA1541 DAC. The 5500 has and its said that this next model only had a few changes but nothing in the DAC department.

Have you any experience with B&O?

Cheers!

UV101
29-01-2010, 09:11
Hi Joe, No experience with B&O but woudn't mind a look inside one for sure!

This link HERE (http://www.beocentral.com/families/bgcd50) suggests that the 6500 is only a transport and facelift over the 5500 which does use the TDA1541.

Incidently, I put a low noise reg on the SAA7220 (oversampling chip) in my Meridian 207 last night and would suggest if you do nothing else to you player when you get it, do this!!! Its a MASSIVE improvement! Be carefull tho, the chip is greedy! ;)

twelvebears
29-01-2010, 09:27
Ian.

Stupid question please. How do I tell what version 206 I have?

S.

UV101
29-01-2010, 09:40
:lolsign:

Not stupid because I'm guessing that you've looked on the back of the player!
You could try emailing Meridian the S/N and asking them, other than that I guess you'll need to look inside.

I know I've sent you this but for the benifit of others interested

MERIDIAN 206 TDA1541A-S1 (Single Crown)??? CDM-4/21
MERIDIAN 206 B TDA1547 (DAC7) CDM-4/19
MERIDIAN 206 BS 2 x SAA7321 – SAA7350 CDM-4/19
MERIDIAN 206 DS CS4328 CDM-4/19
(Info from marantzphilips.nl)

Is it a 2 box player like the 207 (with a multicore interconnect) or a single box? Not that that helps with identifiction just if you wanted me to talk you through opening it up to have a look! ;)

twelvebears
29-01-2010, 11:15
:lolsign:

Not stupid because I'm guessing that you've looked on the back of the player!
You could try emailing Meridian the S/N and asking them, other than that I guess you'll need to look inside.

I know I've sent you this but for the benifit of others interested

MERIDIAN 206 TDA1541A-S1 (Single Crown)??? CDM-4/21
MERIDIAN 206 B TDA1547 (DAC7) CDM-4/19
MERIDIAN 206 BS 2 x SAA7321 – SAA7350 CDM-4/19
MERIDIAN 206 DS CS4328 CDM-4/19
(Info from marantzphilips.nl)

Is it a 2 box player like the 207 (with a multicore interconnect) or a single box? Not that that helps with identifiction just if you wanted me to talk you through opening it up to have a look! ;)

It's two boxes connected with a plate across the back.

The Black Adder
29-01-2010, 12:16
As far as my reaserch has got so far, the only way to find out Ian is to open it up. I can't find any serial number catalogue, I guess Meridian themselves would be able to tell you.

Cheers!

jusbe
30-01-2010, 19:31
I have a Cambridge Audio CD3 (and another spare). I also have an Arcam Alpha 5. Currently listening to the CD3 and like it a lot.

jus.

UV101
30-01-2010, 19:55
I have a Cambridge Audio CD3 (and another spare). I also have an Arcam Alpha 5. Currently listening to the CD3 and like it a lot.

jus.

:stalks: Awesome!

That Cambridge audio has 4 TDA1541's in it! You should get a low noise reg on the filter chip before the TDA's, it will lift it 10 fold!

Do you fancy parting with your spare???? I could make it worth your while adding a few carefully chosen components?

Scorchin34
01-02-2010, 00:03
I have/had several.

Sherwood CDP300R (Philips drive with TDA 1540 chipset

Realistic CD-1000 with Burr Brown dac, the first ever cd player released by Radio Shack on our side of the pond, still works but it distorts sometimes.

Technics SL-P150 with dual Dacs, not sure what the dacs are.

Teac PD-555, not sure what the dacs are.

Used to own:

Quad 66
Marantz CD63SE MK II
Philips CD 104

I like cd players always buy them when I see them in thrift stores and such.

Peace,

UV101
01-02-2010, 10:00
You are absolutely correct Stanley.

It is almost identical to the MKI but there are indeed several differences in the MKII.

My player is virtually internally the same as THIS (http://www.marantzphilips.nl/index.asp?strPage=Info&strBrand=Marantz&strType=cd94) MKI CD94 which to be honest is much better looking than my CD960!

I think there are a few very slight layout changes in the CD94 + there is a psu cap change on the 5v rail (94 uses 2 caps where the 960 uses 1)(*edit the one in the picture on the link has the same layout as mine).I think there may also be a cap type change on 2 or 3 other components too. I'm not personally aware of an other differences but I would love to know of any others.

The MKII is HERE (http://www.marantzphilips.nl/marantz_cd94_mkII_cdplayer/). The MKII is very similar in servo, PSU's Decoder and filter section. The final I/V and output section is also very similar with the addition of a summing section. The main difference is the MKII uses twin TDA1541A S1 Single crowns on a sub board just above where the single S2 Double crown resides in my player.

Given a choice on the 2, I'd love a MKII but then I'd be forced to try and find another S2 chip!!

Just remembered! The CD960 also uses a non-a TDA1541 and an SAA7220P/A as opposed to the Marantz CD94 MKI which uses TDA1541A and SAA7220P/B

Just to correct!!!

DSJR
01-02-2010, 22:17
ok.. my quest still going on. Keeping the options open.

B&O - I've looked at a Beogram 6500 but I'm not sure if it has the TDA1541 DAC. The 5500 has and its said that this next model only had a few changes but nothing in the DAC department.

Have you any experience with B&O?

Cheers!

Late reply, but don't bother with the B&O unless it's an original CD-X and even then, only for the wonderful mech and styling...

DSJR
01-02-2010, 22:20
P.S. I was told by two different designers that the crown dac made little to no difference - it was the digital filters that came afterwards that really mattered...

OK, I'm banging on about AVI again, but the DAC they made was superbly well sorted and got better with the system it was played into (rather than spicing up a less able one as many 5 star products did). The first AVI CD player used the 1541 IIRC and if the CD-M9 mech (engine) ever needed attention I wonder if les at Avondale could help as he's an expert with other versions of this wonderful little mech..

UV101
02-02-2010, 08:26
P.S. I was told by two different designers that the crown dac made little to no difference - it was the digital filters that came afterwards that really mattered...

mmm really! :scratch: Thats a massive statement!

I have to say, thats not what I've found! The problem was that back in the day, no one bothered (or didn't know how) to implement this chip and its family to utilise its full potential. If you study the list of players that use the single crown version, you will find some commercial versions (which I agree, sticking the S1 in doesn;t really just make it better) and some awesome smaller companies like Sugden and Lector that would have attempted to release some of the potential. By Digital filter are you refering to the SAA7220P/B digital filter that is before the TDA1541? If so then yes i'd agree that the better you deal with this chip the better the sound will be. This is one of the reasons people do the NOS modification as it removes the filter chip and therefore the noise that the filter chip puts everywhere (clock, 5v rail). However a properly implemented filter, with its own low noise reg will be the biggest single improvement you will make to a std tda1541A,S1,S2 player! In respect of the output stage, I've tried various output stage types (transformer, passive I/V, opamp I/V, Burson I/V, Fully descrete I/V) and again there are massive differences.

All that said, I've yet to see a commercial implementation of any TDA1541 that lets out more than about 15% of its capability! (inc S1 types - I've not stumbled accross an S2 in a std player yet)

All IMHO of course!:cool:

twelvebears
02-02-2010, 09:39
Well I've just put my Meridian 206 up for sale to make ay for the Sony CDP-777ES that I laned yesterday on eBay....

Kris
02-02-2010, 16:16
Has it got the Rosewood side cheeks? You just gotta have the Rosewood side Cheeks. You can't get better than Rosewood side cheeks.

Did I mention that I love Rosewood side cheeks? :eyebrows:

dowser
05-02-2010, 16:40
How much did you pay for the Sony - I sold my 707ES a few years back on eBay, it got €650! I now run a Naim CDi.

Richard

twelvebears
05-02-2010, 22:45
How much did you pay for the Sony - I sold my 707ES a few years back on eBay, it got €650! I now run a Naim CDi.

Richard

Ah, well...

I paid just over £500... BUT when it arrived with Mark at Audiocom, it wouldn't read the disc TOC.... :(

He's hoping it's something simple (he's seen loads of 777s and never had one DOA) but if it's not, I'll have to try to get a refund.

What happens if an eBay item dies in transit? Does the seller have to sort it? I mean, where's the proof it was even working when he sold it?

Don't really want to return it, but I'm preparing for the worst.

Giant Haystacks
06-02-2010, 01:19
dowser i remember you put your sony up for sale in ireland .had you laser trouble .did you put another laser in place of the kss-190a i know you were doing some project at the time i heard there is a cleaver digital man near to croke park in dublin . i have a machine similar to yours many thanks and good luck

dowser
06-02-2010, 09:43
Twelvebears - if it was sold as working and is not, just get a refund, don't even mess about. The lasers in these are very hard to find (KSS-272A).

GH - the one I sold originally had a bad laser, I spent 2 years and bought 3 lower model Sony players that had same base laser before finding one that which was good enough for me to sell the 707ES with confidence. The item you saw me giving away was the donor with the original faulty laser in it...303ES from memory.

Richard

The Black Adder
06-02-2010, 14:13
Well - I've just got a B&O CD7000 - I am well amazed!

Pushing it through a passive NVA pre with NVA A80 amps and Wilson Benesch ARC's the fludity of the bass is very natural, dynamics are better than the Arcam or the MF X-RAY, the timing seems to be better too!

I did some reaserch with the mechanics of these later player and they indeed used a better transport as the early ones so I'm happy.

Indeed it uses the TDA1541A chip, I opened the unit and it's superbly made, very solid! Apparently it's one of the best implimentations of the TDA chip! So Lukasz of lampizator.eu says - he knows his onions!

twelvebears
06-02-2010, 14:52
Twelvebears - if it was sold as working and is not, just get a refund, don't even mess about. The lasers in these are very hard to find (KSS-272A).

GH - the one I sold originally had a bad laser, I spent 2 years and bought 3 lower model Sony players that had same base laser before finding one that which was good enough for me to sell the 707ES with confidence. The item you saw me giving away was the donor with the original faulty laser in it...303ES from memory.

Richard

I've checked eBays terms and a DOA definitely falls under 'significantly not as described'. The death in transit is the sellers problem.

The guy seems genuine, I don't believe he sold me a dud intentionally, as Mark said, otherwise it's in fantastic shape so has obviously been well cared for. Have agreed that if Mark finds a simple problem, I'll keep it (I'd just have to hunt for another decent example anyway), if not, it's going back next week.

Frankly the seller is luck that it was going straight for mods and is in the hands of a skilled engineer, otherwise he'd definitely have been getting it back....

Dave Hewitt
06-02-2010, 18:15
Hi all
I have a marantz cd 94 and a revox b226 on which the tray guide has disintegrated,but if I can manage to load a cd by removing the lid I think the revox has the edge on the marantz.Also have a marantz14 bit machine which I think is either cd50 or 54,cant remember at the moment,and while this machine does not have as much detail as the others its surprisingly involving to listen to
in my opinion of course.Was the revox as 'upmarket ' a player as the marantz in its time?
Dave.

twelvebears
07-02-2010, 09:42
This whole experience with the Sony has made me think carefully about trying another pricey vintage machine. Mark has confirmed that replacement lasers for the Sony are like rocking horse poo, and I could just see it going west after Mark has worked on it....

Personally I think I need to find a slight more recent machine with potential. One that can still be fixed if something goes wrong....

Marco
07-02-2010, 11:52
Hi Steve,

I can understand why you're pissed off, mate - trust me, I would be too!! :(

However, with these things, it's simply the luck of the draw.... I bought my X-777ES from Ebay five years ago - it was working perfectly then, and is still working perfectly now..... Mark's own 777ES is the same.

Fingers crossed Mark can fix it (if not he has an engineer friend who knows even more than he does about such things) :)

If not, you send it back and get a full refund. How has the seller reacted to the situation? Also have you asked Mark how well it was packed when it arrived? Was the transport mech transit bolt locked?

My view is that it was working perfectly well when it was sent (German audiophiles on Ebay tend to be pretty honest and reliable, IME), and therefore it's probably had a 'dint' in transit, so it shouldn't be anything that (with some time) can't be repaired. It would be different if the transport mech was just 'done' through age, as it were.

I feel for ya dude, so keep us posted of developments :cool:

Marco.

twelvebears
07-02-2010, 15:20
Hi Steve,

I can understand why you're pissed off, mate - trust me, I would be too!! :(

However, with these things, it's simply the luck of the draw.... I bought my X-777ES from Ebay five years ago - it was working perfectly then, and is still working perfectly now..... Mark's own 777ES is the same.

Fingers crossed Mark can fix it (if not he has an engineer friend who knows even more than he does about such things) :)

If not, you send it back and get a full refund. How has the seller reacted to the situation? Also have you asked Mark how well it was packed when it arrived? Was the transport mech transit bolt locked?

My view is that it was working perfectly well when it was sent (German audiophiles on Ebay tend to be pretty honest and reliable, IME), and therefore it's probably had a 'dint' in transit, so it shouldn't be anything that (with some time) can't be repaired. It would be different it the transport mech was just 'done' through age, as it were.

I feel for ya dude, so keep us posted of developments :cool:

Marco.

Perfectly packed in the original box with the locking mech engaged. Seems the laser is moving on the rails but not attempting to focus. Mark's having another look but doesn't sound hopeful at this stage.

The seller has been OK about the news, though as seller, a DOA is always a risk and eBay are quite clear about that, so I know I CAN get a refund, I'd just prefer not HAVING too.... :(

dowser
08-02-2010, 13:14
There's not much else you can do but get a refund though I suspect - assuming the laser diode has power, and is trying to focus (check using the bottom of an AA battery), then tired laser or knackered plastic laser suspension is most likely cause, making it pretty much a very well built doorstop given the availability of lasers. Following is a list of machines I believe (ie; don't blame me if you buy one and it doesn't have the right laser ;)) to have the KSS-272A - for sure the 339ES does, that is the donor machine I finally used to fix mine with (not the 33 I mentioned previously) - German eBay best for finding these machines, but Riccardo.ch also worth watching;

KSS-272A Laser CD players;
--------------------------
CDP-777ESA CDP-555ESA CDP-333ESA CDP-X779ES CDP-X339ES CDP-777ESJ CDP-555ESJ CDP-333ESJ CDP-X707ES CDP-X303ES CDP-X33ES

KSS-272A part Number: 8-848-244-11

Good luck, Richard

twelvebears
08-02-2010, 13:30
There's not much else you can do but get a refund though I suspect - assuming the laser diode has power, and is trying to focus (check using the bottom of an AA battery), then tired laser or knackered plastic laser suspension is most likely cause, making it pretty much a very well built doorstop given the availability of lasers. Following is a list of machines I believe (ie; don't blame me if you buy one and it doesn't have the right laser ;)) to have the KSS-272A - for sure the 339ES does, that is the donor machine I finally used to fix mine with (not the 33 I mentioned previously) - German eBay best for finding these machines, but Riccardo.ch also worth watching;

KSS-272A Laser CD players;
--------------------------
CDP-777ESA CDP-555ESA CDP-333ESA CDP-X779ES CDP-X339ES CDP-777ESJ CDP-555ESJ CDP-333ESJ CDP-X707ES CDP-X303ES CDP-X33ES

KSS-272A part Number: 8-848-244-11

Good luck, Richard

Cheers Richard.

It's a tough one. If I'd got a mega bargain, I might be tempted to try and fix it, but it was £500, so not really something I want to get into. Besides, all the suitable donors seem to be more commonly available in Germany, so the seller will be better placed to get this fixed than me anyway.

dowser
08-02-2010, 13:35
Agreed - my 707ES was given to me, and it took me 3 years and 3 donor purchases before I found a good one. Even when you've got the laser itself, the lower models mean a complete transplant of the good laser onto the original mechanism due to different spin motors and servo boards being used. All in all a right PIA to do, and money I got for mine is probably what it owned me in time and materials!

Great sounding player when working though, although I found it got a bit muddled during replay of complex pieces, at least in comparison to my Naim CDi.

Richard

Giant Haystacks
08-02-2010, 23:56
dowser i asked you earlier did you put a non standard laser pickup in your 707es you said that you used a kss-272a and i thought the 707 used a kss-190a i had read some of your writing on i think it was diy audio a few years ago.
my transport got modifyed a few years ago and never worked right after it .
it was the cpd-r1 .we have a good engineer up this way. he says it is not a laser problem and has the problem narrowed down i may get him a circuit diagram to keep him interested .

dowser
09-02-2010, 07:55
Hi Francis - no, as per above the 707ES comes with a KSS-272A, as do the other models I listed. I may have been looking at the plastic laser lens suspension on some of the other Sony laser units to see if they could be used on the KSS-272A (my pet theory is that this suspension sagging is what causes most of the problems, but then the good laser from the donor I used wasn't too much different suspension wise from the faulty one...), but I don't really remember any more.

I have a cct diagram for the 707/779ES machines, but it is very large (~9MB) - readily available on the internet for a few beer tokens from memory, so hopefully you'd be able to find one for your CDP-R1. I am not familiar with this model - but if it uses the 272A laser, and you can prove it is good (offer to show buyer a decent eye-pattern trace on a scope), I suspect you would get very good money on eBay for it in isolation!

Richard

Giant Haystacks
09-02-2010, 22:32
it is supposed to be one of the reference cd transports the cpd-r1 and used the kss-190a laser pick up . i can get a circuit diagram on the internet so il get one .i would keep it if all goes well .i am trying to go down the tape route and record of records many thanks for your help

twelvebears
10-02-2010, 14:31
I'm beginning to think that going for a CDP-X777ES is just opening a door on a world of potential disappointment. I mean even if I get a good one, there is literally no way of knowing how long it will last (one year? 5 years? 6 month?), and when it's gone, it's gone.

At least with a X707ES or X779ES there are a selection of other machines with the same laser, so finding a donor isn't quite so impossible.....

Marco
10-02-2010, 18:58
Hi Steve,

I understand your thinking, however experience tells me that (not just with my own X-777) if you find one that's working and has been looked after, it's likely it'll last you a lifetime....

Remember that the *only* reason the 777 you bought didn't work out is because the idiot who sent it to you didn't engage the transport locking mechanism before shipping it!! :doh:

Otherwise, right now, you'd be feeling very differently about things - trust me :)

Marco.

P.S Got your PM, I'll reply later after I've had my dinner.

twelvebears
11-02-2010, 08:41
Hi Steve,

I understand your thinking, however experience tells me that (not just with my own X-777) if you find one that's working and has been looked after, it's likely it'll last you a lifetime....

Remember that the *only* reason the 777 you bought didn't work out is because the idiot who sent it to you didn't engage the transport locking mechanism before shipping it!! :doh:

Otherwise, right now, you'd be feeling very differently about things - trust me :)

Marco.

P.S Got your PM, I'll reply later after I've had my dinner.

You're probably right. Unfortunately the whole situation is now compounded that the seller seems to have done a runner. He's not responded to any messages or e-mails since I delivered the bad news, so it looks like it's down to whateve ebay can/will do.

So at the moment I'm £500 out of pocket with no immediate sign of a solution...

Rats.

Ali Tait
11-02-2010, 09:21
That's bad news Steve,hope it gets sorted.That's a lot of cash to lose.

Marco
11-02-2010, 09:21
Hi Steve,

You have a PM :)

Marco.

dowser
11-02-2010, 09:57
Open a dispute on eBay immediately - how long ago did you win the auction? Opening the dispute on eBay will also do the same within Paypal and is the correct process to follow. I assume you used Paypal to purchase it? And was it via a positive balance in your Paypal account, or direct to your credit card? I believe direct credit card offers better protection.

707, 779 and 777 all used the KSS-272A to my knowledge.

Richard

Marco
11-02-2010, 11:01
I found this on a Google search:

http://threesixtyltd.en.ec21.com/Kss_213qcm_Ksm_213vscm_Ksm--3580237_3583144.html

It mentions the KSS-272A next to the supplier website details on Google, but seemingly not on the actual site...

I wonder if they would have one, or perhaps parts which would fix the existing mechanism on Steve's CDP?

Marco.

twelvebears
11-02-2010, 11:34
I found this on a Google search:

http://threesixtyltd.en.ec21.com/Kss_213qcm_Ksm_213vscm_Ksm--3580237_3583144.html

It mentions the KSS-272A next to the supplier website details on Google, but seemingly not on the actual site...

I wonder if they would have one, or perhaps parts which would fix the existing mechanism on Steve's CDP?

Marco.

Hey Marco, thanks for the pep-talk, was just feeling a bit down in the mouth and it was good to speak to a happy 777 owner.

Have e-mailed the company but looks like is a stock trade-type enquire, so not holding my breath.

Marco
11-02-2010, 11:42
No worries, Steve. It was nice to finally chat to you :)

My advice is to 'stay strong' and do what is necessary, as we discussed ;)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
11-02-2010, 12:05
Hi Steve..

From my own very recent experiences, launch a dispute asap, don't wait. Sadly being nice, kind understanding does not work. You can always say sorry later if it gets sorted out. I do understand the stress and anxiety all this can cause. Its not good.

The sad fact is a lot of these so called experts haven't a clue, that once upon a time most Cd players had transport bolts (modern ones don't). So they ship players with out them, or not fitted etc. I once many years ago shipped a Teac player to Teac for repair (my very early days in the trade back in the late 80's). I did what I was told by my boss packed it carefully etc and sent it. I was not told about the transport locking lugs. It arrived with the transport smashed:doh: :( Teac were not very happy.

Hope you get it all sorted out.

Regards D S D L

twelvebears
11-02-2010, 12:56
Hi Steve..

From my own very recent experiences, launch a dispute asap, don't wait. Sadly being nice, kind understanding does not work. You can always say sorry later if it gets sorted out. I do understand the stress and anxiety all this can cause. Its not good.

The sad fact is a lot of these so called experts haven't a clue, that once upon a time most Cd players had transport bolts (modern ones don't). So they ship players with out them, or not fitted etc. I once many years ago shipped a Teac player to Teac for repair (my very early days in the trade back in the late 80's). I did what I was told by my boss packed it carefully etc and sent it. I was not told about the transport locking lugs. It arrived with the transport smashed:doh: :( Teac were not very happy.

Hope you get it all sorted out.

Regards D S D L

Fear not Neil, raised a case first thing Tuesday when the guy hadn't responded to my messages on Monday.... Confident it's cut-n-dried as far as responsibility (his silence speak volumes), however I'm not sure what/how eBay will resolve this as European eBay sellers don't use Paypal, it's all bank transfer....

As for transport locking, I can just imagine the seller reading my message and going 'What Transport lock?... '

dowser
12-02-2010, 12:06
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but if you paid via bank transfer then I suspect you'll have a problem recovering the money - I don't believe eBay have the jurisdiction to force a refund, which they do for Paypal payments...

Did the shipping come with full value insurance?

Richard

twelvebears
12-02-2010, 12:36
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but if you paid via bank transfer then I suspect you'll have a problem recovering the money - I don't believe eBay have the jurisdiction to force a refund, which they do for Paypal payments...

Did the shipping come with full value insurance?

Richard

Well as Paypal isn't used on the German eBay site (i.e I didn't choose not to use it, I always do normally, it's just not an option there for some reason), I'm presuming they must have some local setup to enable them to police/enforce their buy protection.

Anyway, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed....

UV101
12-02-2010, 20:45
Hi Steve, its a shame you couldn't make it over today.Hopefully we'll get a look inside that Meridian next week;)

I've been doing a little research on that Sony myself and it does appear that the laser was specific to that model. There are a few similer that may mod to fit. The KSS-281A is not used anywhere else, but it may be that the laser diode is ok and the diode suspension is knackered! this looks like it can be taken from some of the other decent mechs of similar age. I guess there may be some hope of a recovery.........

Marco
12-02-2010, 22:10
There are a few similer that may mod to fit. The KSS-281A is not used anywhere else, but it may be that the laser diode is ok and the diode suspension is knackered! this looks like it can be taken from some of the other decent mechs of similar age. I guess there may be some hope of a recovery.........

That's also how I read the situation. I think you should speak to Mark about finding out if that is the case (i.e. exactly what is wrong with it), and if he can find a suitable donor transport mechanism to try and fix it.

What are you doing about the one in Canada, Steve - have you spoken with the chap, like we discussed? :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
12-02-2010, 23:01
That's also how I read the situation. I think you should speak to Mark about finding out if that is the case (i.e. exactly what is wrong with it), and if he can find a suitable donor transport mechanism to try and fix it.

What are you doing about the one in Canada, Steve - have you spoken with the chap, like we discussed? :)

Marco.

There's three parts to that mech, it may not be the lazer . I read somewhere that parts from other sony mech have been transplanted without trouble..

I would slog at trying to get it working as in my view Sony make the best CD spinners in the world.Only prob is if you send it in it's knocking the price up even more.

twelvebears
14-02-2010, 10:06
Going from what Mark has said, not only is the laser dead, but it's not moving smoothly up and down the sled, so looks as if it got a real jolt and it's not just the laser that's buggered.

Obviously if I do end up being landed with it, I'll be interested in any options that might help out. Unfortunately I think that the only mechs that MAY be viable for transplant, are also in other old/rare machines which means that it's a potential expensive pot-shot to get hold of one.

Anyway, that's something to consider once I know what, if anything, eBay are going to be able to do to help resolve things...

In the meantime, after much deliberation and a lucky visit to a friend who works at Musical Images, I've got hold of a Sony SCD-777ES. I know that it's not one of the classics, but it is a solidly built bit of kit (I know as I owned one when they first came out) with plenty of tuning potential. More importantly (to me at least), parts are still easily available. The laser unit is available new for about £90, so one of the first things I'll do is buy one and mothball it for insurance.

dowser
16-02-2010, 15:12
Maybe throwing good money after bad (especially the shipping costs!), but this uses a KSS-272A laser unit that can be transplanted into the 707;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250522623348&ru=http://shop.ebay.co.uk:80/%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw% 3D250522623348%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_553wt_1155

Richard

twelvebears
18-02-2010, 16:59
Maybe throwing good money after bad (especially the shipping costs!), but this uses a KSS-272A laser unit that can be transplanted into the 707;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250522623348&ru=http://shop.ebay.co.uk:80/%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw% 3D250522623348%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_553wt_1155

Richard

Unfortunately the 777 and 707/779 use different laser units... :(

dowser
22-02-2010, 12:42
Ooops - sorry, my mistake! Assumption is the...and all that.

Richard

twelvebears
23-02-2010, 09:48
Well this morning I have some great news! Logged into my eBay account to find this message waiting:

Thanks for getting in touch about the issues you had with your recent purchase. We're sorry things haven't gone smoothly on this occasion.

I'm pleased to inform you that your seller has agreed to issue a full refund if you return the item.

Here's what you should do now:

1) Post the item back to the seller (using a delivery service with tracking)
2) Reply to this email with your tracking information within 10 days

Once the item had been received by the seller, you'll receive the refund to the payment method used when you purchased the item.

Please note that we must receive a valid tracking number to your case within 10 days, otherwise it'll be closed automatically.

Regards,

eBay Customer Support
Awesome!

Themis
23-02-2010, 09:52
Nice news Steve. :cool:

Rare Bird
23-02-2010, 10:11
Brilliant news, but you stand the shipping, i guess loosing shipping is far cheaper that trying to get it fixed..

twelvebears
23-02-2010, 12:41
Brilliant news, but you stand the shipping, i guess loosing shipping is far cheaper that trying to get it fixed..

At this point I'm not going to worry about £40.... :)

dowser
23-02-2010, 21:31
Result, well done!

Richard

Marco
23-02-2010, 22:57
Excellent stuff, Steve! Now to land another X-777ES, this time not from an A-hole who ships CDPs across Europe without the transport mech locked, or have you already snaffled Mr C's SCD-777ES? ;)

Marco.

twelvebears
03-03-2010, 15:37
Well I have to say I'm impressed with the way eBay resolved by dead CDP issue.

After raising a case and waitin the required 10 days, it has been pushed through very quickly and is now completely resolved.

The player was picked up from Mark at Audiocom on Monday, was delivered to the seller this morning and eBay sent me a Paypal refund themselves this very afternoon. :)

Marco
03-03-2010, 16:51
Great result, Steve! So what's the plan now? :)

Marco.

twelvebears
03-03-2010, 18:16
Great result, Steve! So what's the plan now? :)

Marco.

Well kind of already part way there.

I've now got a Sony SCD777ES as SACD player and CD transport, feeding a Benchmark DAC1 via one of Mark Grant's GHD digital cables and the combo sounds cracking.

Despite several AOSers having negative views of the Benchmark, I decided to give it a go because I got offered an ex-dem one at a good price with the chance to try it out at home. I was so impressed with the way it sounded in my system that I decided to go for it and I've found that whatever I'm playing just demands my attention, I can't just have something on in the background because the music keeps drawing me in, which must be a good thing! :)

Next steps will be to get both the Sony and Benchmark worked over by Mark at Audiocom in due course.

Alex_UK
03-03-2010, 21:24
Glad to hear it worked out for you Steve - ebay not always the villains they are sometimes made out to be.

Scorchin34
04-03-2010, 11:12
Added another vintage Player, a Toshiba XR-9028, Burr Brown dac and a pretty nice chipset according to my electronics engineer, decent caps etc. It actually compares close to the Meridian/Muse dac combo, a little bloated in the bass but otherwise nice sounding. It's very thin but also very deep with internal uprights to keep the case flat and it's heavy too :clap:

Peace,
Preston

trane
04-03-2010, 20:30
just in case anyone is interested in a both technically and aesthetically perfect black example of a sony cpd-x777es let me know, i have one to sell - price is 520GBP+35GBP (insured shipping via DPD, or by a courier service at your choice and order)

Marco
04-03-2010, 23:52
Hi Attila,

Pictures please? :)

Marco.

trane
05-03-2010, 22:01
was prepared to send the pix but player has been sold in the meantime on another forum :)

jusbe
26-04-2010, 10:06
:stalks: Awesome!

That Cambridge audio has 4 TDA1541's in it! You should get a low noise reg on the filter chip before the TDA's, it will lift it 10 fold!

Do you fancy parting with your spare???? I could make it worth your while adding a few carefully chosen components?

Hi. Apologies for not responding to your message - I completely forgot about the thread. Both my CD3s are mint, with remotes (though one of the remotes seems not to function - both players receive remote instructions however).

I'm in two minds about parting with the spare. I tried a couple of times on eBay but had deadbeat bidders involved. And, the more I listen to it, the more fun it seems! But, maybe with the right offer?

I'd be interested in learning about what upgrades you think were suited to it. Some would say a new clock, but who knows? Net Audio's Rock Clock looks interesting, as does the Neutron Star from NewClassD. I'm more inclined to imagine that power supply regulation and cap 'refreshments' would yield a lot. Perhaps attention to the output stage?

Do you have experience with the design?