View Full Version : Advice on Michell tt

Dimz
22-07-2017, 17:47
Decided to go fo one,

budget has an upper limit of 2.000€, so (I think) I have two options

1. get a new gyro se and fit the jelco 750d@denon 103R I already have
2. get a tecnodec and a tecnoarm ...

what do you think ?

*used, x-demo etc in nm/m condition will be nice too (just pm or mail me)

Audio Al
22-07-2017, 18:18
Option one :)

walpurgis
22-07-2017, 18:45
Option one :)

I'd agree with that! :thumbsup:

gwernaffield
22-07-2017, 19:43
option one , with a tecnoarm if you can

Dimz
23-07-2017, 05:14
if I go with the gyro se @ jelco, tonearm upgrade will happen at a future time

bob4333
23-07-2017, 06:56
Option One, no doubt. But........

.............. have you considered a used Orbe or Orbe SE. Michell TT's are incredibly robust and most are really well looked after. People do tend to hang on to them, but sometimes they crop up.

Dimz
23-07-2017, 08:40
orbe is the end of the trip ...
but,
I doubt that I can find one that fits my budget ....
I have been looking michell's for the past months but havent spot one,
maybe in UK its easier

high.spirits
23-07-2017, 09:20
Option one for sure.

Dimz
23-07-2017, 09:26
ok
got the point :)

gyro it is ...

I'm gonna make a last try searching for a used nm one or an orbe
and then I'm placing an order ...

albertan
23-10-2017, 06:09
The Orbe clamp kit is a very worthwhile upgrade for a Gyro. Save your shillings.

mikeyb
23-10-2017, 07:41
Orbe SE in silver and black for sale on Hi-fi Wigwam for £1650 or so, it has no arm on it mind you, but bit of haggling and I'm sure you'd have budget left to get you an arm.

https://hifiwigwam.com/megastore/product/michell-orbe-se/

I don't know the seller, but it looks a decent price.

kambo_z
23-10-2017, 09:22
HI, Check this link.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michell-Engineering-Gyro-SE-and-Origin-Live-Illustrious-Arm-Pre-owned-/263274142009

mikeyb
23-10-2017, 09:29
HI, Check this link.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michell-Engineering-Gyro-SE-and-Origin-Live-Illustrious-Arm-Pre-owned-/263274142009Would need to find out which MK the arm is the Mark 1 (2003) only cost £825 when new so if it's that one then that deck looks expensive.

ovlov854
23-10-2017, 10:04
Option 1 definitely. You can go for the Orbe Platter upgrade later.

mikeyb
23-10-2017, 10:39
Think I'd still rather have a proper Orbe at less than half price, especially if I already had an arm and cart to go on it [emoji6]

But then again seller probably won't deliver to Greece.

allthingsanalogue
11-11-2017, 00:04
Biggest difference between orbe and gyro upgraded to an orbe platter is the motor. The orbe motor housing is much better and heavier but most important is has the better psu and tacho feedback circuit for much better speed accuracy.

Michell won't sell it separately so it will never be a true orbe.

Primalsea
11-11-2017, 08:13
Two people I know have Gyros and they have had them for years. One of them is a massive fan of Audio Research and Martin Logan and and has gone through quite a bit of highend kit, but has always kept the Gyro.

gwernaffield
11-11-2017, 20:53
michell will sell you the orbe motor and power supply at a cost of £1800 , better off looking for a used orbe , one on ebay at £1495 ,but no arm

Gazjam
11-11-2017, 22:50
I’ve a bit of experience ‘ere...

Option 1 absolutely for sure, the Gyro is a fantastic platform as is, but will happily show you the benefits of upgrades further down the line.

I started with a Gyro with Orbe platter, HR power supply and Technoarm.
Put a decent MM card (Ortofon 2M red) on it and didn’t think Id be able to go further.

Then I went to a MC cart and better phono stage, which the Gyro didn’t hold back.
Bought the standard Gyro platter with spinning weights, as I’d read compared to the Orbe, the Gyro had more ‘fire’ in its sound, and my deck DID maybe sound a bit dark?

The Gyro platter gave the deck a bit more spark, sure, but it lost its solidity somewhat...so as always its a trade off I guess.
Then I put an SME V on the deck and holy hell...big upgrade,
Put the Orbe platter back on and heard more of what the deck can do...the Technoarm wasn’t letting the deck really show what it can do.

Nowadays I run the deck with Orbe upgrades (but Gyro motor) and SME V, sounds terrific.
Heard a full Orbe with the same cartridge I use (Dynavector XX2 Mk2) and to be honest never felt I was missing anything.
Decided to give my head peace and not worry about it. :)
With the HR power supply theres maybe not much between the two decks, especially with something like the ‘tells it like it is’ like the SME arm.
Only itch left to scratch for me is getting my V internally rewired with silver Kondo or Ikeda wire, swap out the VDH external cable for summit better then call it done.

My £0.02worth?

Go for a Gyro, upgrade wise get the Orbe clamp and spindle first.
Then the Orbe platter, and double spider and better feet.

Then a Technoarm (better on a Gyro than a Jelco imo) and enjoy.
Dont forget proper set up too, levelling 100% etc.
If you still want to take it further then sell a kidney to get a V on there.

A turntable for life as they say, do it once, do it right and forget all about the equipment and just enjoy your records.

allthingsanalogue
11-11-2017, 23:44
michell will sell you the orbe motor and power supply at a cost of £1800 , better off looking for a used orbe , one on ebay at £1495 ,but no arm

I stand corrected, however when i equired a couple of years ago they said no. But blimey, £1800, that's crazy.

Dimz
13-11-2017, 16:18
thank you all for your suggestions but there was a change in plans ...
as I had the chance to get a nm avid diva II at a very - very nice price ..

maybe not as classic as a gyro but I like its sonics and looks..

it has a specific factory upgrade path (diva ii sp)
but maybe the next upgrade for me will be an orbe ..