PDA

View Full Version : Tonearm for Spacedeck TT's...?

Simon_LDT
20-07-2017, 15:46
Thinking my next upgrade will be a new tonearm for my Ace Spacedeck TT. I'm currently using an old-ish (circa early-mid 00's) Rega RB-300. This is completely stock, not even a counterweight change. Since getting my first ''proper'' TT in 2010, this is the only arm I've had so I'm a little unsure about the whole thing and there is a lot of stuff out there!

This will be 3-6 months away most likely so time to decide, just want to get some rough ideas down of what to look for incase a bargain pops up.

Not sure if I want to go unipivot or not. Would need to be able to handle my current cart (Adikt, 7g), so possibly looking for around 5-10g recommended cart weight for the arm. Would like to go MC in the near future too, possibly an AT33ptg/ii I have my eye on.

Ease of set-up, with decent VTA, VTF and hopefully azimuth adjustments would be nice. Don't want something too fiddly, but then want to be able to dial it in properly and leave it. The Rega doesn't have much in the way of adjustments so can be quite limiting there.

Budget probably around £7-800, although could possibly go to a grand for the right thing.

Worth getting the RB300 re-wired, new counterweight,etc or better to use that money on something better?

hifi_dave
20-07-2017, 16:11
Natural choice would be a Notts Ace Space arm. Obviously made for the Spacedeck and designed to be used with Decca cartridges.

Simon_LDT
21-07-2017, 09:46
Thanks Dave. I did look at the Notts arms. Will need to read up more but not sure if I want unipivot.

I've also looked at the Roksan Nima which seems to get good reviews, although that is a unipivot too.

DiveDeepDog
21-07-2017, 12:03
I prefered Tabriz's over Nima, although I've only heard space decks at friends so can't comment on compatibility. Audiomods is a popular recommendation too and possibly the best Rega based arm?*

* I've got Tabriz's & Audiomods and think the biggest difference is copper vs silver wiring.

hifi_dave
21-07-2017, 12:04
The Notts arm don't feel like unipivots. I can't stand the wobbly, shaky, floaty feel of the majority of unipivots but the Notts arms have a pivot arrangement which feels like a conventional pivoted arm, so they feel solid and secure.

If you use a Decca, then they are the ideal match. I always have a 10 inch Ace Space arm and a 12 inch Anna on demo.

Haselsh1
21-07-2017, 12:17
How about the range by Origin Live which I am obviously going to mention. There is bound to be one for your budget and a straight swap with your Rega as the mounting geometry is the same. Very well engineered tonearms.

DSJR
21-07-2017, 12:28
Looking at the Nima as a ton-up Formula 4 (which is basically what it appears to be ;) ), I have an issue with the prices charged (an ongoing thing and it's probably just me...

The RB300 sounded better on a Spacedeck than I've ever heard it, with a genuinely 'free' quality it lacked elsewhere quite often imo, but it wasn't as good on my Mentor as the Mentor tonearm and it didn't stay there long. All ancient history now as Rega have developed the arm a good bit in every way and the NAS decks have had subtle development too.

The NAS arms have very low friction 'stabilisers' to prevent the uni-pivot 'rock' which afflicts other undamped uni's (the ARO being the worst of all deliberately!). It's a delight to handle and uses a Rega derived cueing device I think, so no worries there. Few here know (or seem to care much) just how good these decks and arms are and how truthful to what's really on the vinyl they can be, as they don't have Swiss-style bling finish on them. I don't know now if I'll ever be able to try an NAS arm on its own (I think standard bases may be available, but I'm long out of it now), but they really were very good indeed I remember and a perfect sonic and design match for the deck in original form - I'm assuming it's not an Ace Space or has the 'Heavy Kit' on it.

OD1
21-07-2017, 12:31
How about the range by Origin Live which I am obviously going to mention. There is bound to be one for your budget and a straight swap with your Rega as the mounting geometry is the same. Very well engineered tonearms.

+1
I used to own the OL Silver mk3a, (on my Gyrodec SE) good sounds & has a VTA adjuster for £675 direct from OL.

DSJR
21-07-2017, 12:44
Take a good donor arm, add a severe midrange resonance and VOILA! you have a more 'exciting' sound... Not for me thanks very much. the best bodged Rega at sensible money is arguably the Techno-Arm, where genuine things have been done to try to further quality control and refine the old RB250 base product.

You know, a Rega 303 may well be all you need, although a different mounting collet will be needed..

Simon_LDT
21-07-2017, 14:49
That Origin Live Silver looks good, will have to look deeper at that one and also the Notts arms.

khapahk
21-07-2017, 18:38
Over the years I've had a Michell Techno Arm, Audio Note Arm One (the current model) and the 10" Ace Space arm on my Space Deck. Sonically, the Ace Space is easily the best of that trio in my set-up, probably because of NA synergy I suspect. I was very dubious about using a unipivot because all the talk of wobbliness etc but, as mentioned above, the Ace Space does not feel at all like a unipivot when in use. It's well worth considering.

Lee Henley
22-07-2017, 15:52
The Jelco 750D works great on a spacedeck I use one myself, it replaced an Orgin Live regal based arm, wiped the floor with it. The only arm I'd consider changing to would be the Notts tonearm just for the synergy that the pair offer

Haselsh1
27-07-2017, 07:27
Seriously considered the Jelco 750 before buying the Origin Live but couldn't be arsed with all of the mounting issues with that tonearm. According to what I learned at the time you have to factor in a new mounting collar as the standard one is so poor. No such case with Origin Live or Rega. I replaced a Rega RB250 with the Onyx and so far I am really pleased I did however the sonic difference wasn't as huge as I had hoped for.

Colin123
10-08-2017, 19:43
I use a Moerch DP6 with my Ace Spacedeck and love it.
Bought it secondhand on this site.

DSJR
10-08-2017, 20:53
I've only heard NAS arms on other decks a couple of times, but they performed superbly when I did and one combination, a fettled 301 in a Bastin plinth and with VDH Decca 'Export,' the sound was absolutely superb, the usual stock Decca excesses all but banished (seems to happen when more exotic tips are fitted to these and the internals tweaked).

So sad that few in the UK is really interested in NAS decks these days - they're so good potentially. Michell looks so much more interesting and Regas more easy to live with domestically - and cover over to protect from dust easily... I'm now so steeped in vintage Duals these days (and lovng every minute of it) I tend to forget how good and 'quiet' my vinyl source was back then ;)

Mikeandvan
11-08-2017, 22:51
I'm just about to finally connect my Jelco 750D with my NAS Interspace after having sold off my 2 other tonearms - rb300 & OL silver. I very simply stuck with the 750 so I could change carts easily, that's it. Now, do I just drill 3 holes into the current nas armboard for the Jelco collar? Or is that too easy?

montesquieu
12-08-2017, 01:45
Seriously considered the Jelco 750 before buying the Origin Live but couldn't be arsed with all of the mounting issues with that tonearm. According to what I learned at the time you have to factor in a new mounting collar as the standard one is so poor. No such case with Origin Live or Rega. I replaced a Rega RB250 with the Onyx and so far I am really pleased I did however the sonic difference wasn't as huge as I had hoped for.

Haven't heard a Jelco 750 on a space deck but have owned a couple of them I think you have a very wrong idea about so called 'hassle' ... in my view it's considerably better than any of those rega-derived arms (even on the original base). Adding the improved bed base merely lifts it even further. It's a giant killer in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikeandvan
12-08-2017, 21:16
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4375/36359948592_4e077b2dda_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Xp1eXo)IMG_20170812_215714438 (https://flic.kr/p/Xp1eXo) by Mike Van (https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/), on Flickr

Sooo, I got my NAS Interspace, with its armboard ('modified') by previous owner but still managed to take a RB300 with its collet in place (that's the black tubular thing you see in right of pic). And I want to fit my Jelco 750D on it, it has its own collar, what's the best way to go about all this? Ta.

montesquieu
12-08-2017, 21:28
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4375/36359948592_4e077b2dda_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Xp1eXo)IMG_20170812_215714438 (https://flic.kr/p/Xp1eXo) by Mike Van (https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/), on Flickr

Sooo, I got my NAS Interspace, with its armboard ('modified') by previous owner but still managed to take a RB300 with its collet in place (that's the black tubular thing you see in right of pic). And I want to fit my Jelco 750D on it, it has its own collar, what's the best way to go about all this? Ta.

Spidle to pivot distance will be different Jelco will be 214mm, the Rega would have been 222mm so almost 1cm closer to the spindle. Looks like it may already have been widened sufficiently for the Jelco to fit, and the new base should cover up most of the 'modification' to the collet. Should be some mounting tools with the Jelco or downloadable from Vinyl Engine.

One thing you'll need to watch with the original collet + the new armbase is the height, you might end up with the arm too high up in which case you'll need another, thinner collet made (but if you get SpeedySteve to do it he should be able to fit the armbase to it at the same time).

Mikeandvan
12-08-2017, 22:33
So your saying I should drill 3 holes into the original NAS armboard and then screw the Jelco collar onto it? (The arm isn't too high, its a wee bit low, but you change alter VTA as their is a grub screw in the collar.

montesquieu
12-08-2017, 22:37
So your saying I should drill 3 holes into the original NAS armboard and then screw the Jelco collar onto it? (The arm isn't too high, its a wee bit low, but you change alter VTA as their is a grub screw in the collar.

Yes I thought the drill holes bit was obvious :) but the critical thing here is the distance from the centre of the arm pivot to the spindle - 214mm. Otherwise it'll be very hard to get the overhang right, and if it's wrong you'll get all sorts of distortion.

Mikeandvan
12-08-2017, 23:13
OK thanks, its just that someone else mentioned the collet, but the collet I have here can't fit anywhere with the Jelco collar in place, so I guess its just redundant? Not even sure why NAS use them really.

hifi_dave
13-08-2017, 09:01
They use them because any arm can be fitted into a Notts collet of the appropriate size, no need for the armbase. This allows a much more secure fixing and complete control of VTA.

Simon_LDT
15-09-2017, 20:29
Picked up a 2nd hand Ace Space arm, which arrived today. Will be looking to get it on the table tomorrow. Any links to good in-depth guides for setting up the Ace Space arms? The manual sheet I've found online is very vague, unless you happen to have some prior knowledge.

Mikeandvan
16-09-2017, 22:57
Try NAS, they're very helpful.