PDA

View Full Version : Spin-clean

kbury25
20-07-2017, 15:39
Is the spin-clean a good economic way to deep clean some old vinyl? Any recommendation in solutions?

karma67
20-07-2017, 15:51
imo not a deep clean.

Daru
20-07-2017, 16:12
Spin-clean is fine but don't use the cotton cloth you get with it. Lint-free microfiber cloth or air dry. The cleaning solution you get with it is good, I use just distilled water if the record is new. I use a cleaning solution only for old dirty records. Phoenix brand record cleaner for deep cleaning. Work it in with a pad and then rinse it off in the spin-clean.

Simon_LDT
20-07-2017, 16:27
I'd recommend saving up a little more and get a ''proper'' RCM with vacuum. For me, it's the best way to clean records properly and it not be labour intensive. I can clean a record and have it on the platter within 5 minutes (bone dry).

magiccarpetride
20-07-2017, 17:23
Is the spin-clean a good economic way to deep clean some old vinyl? Any recommendation in solutions?

I wouldn't recommend it. You'll get incomparably better results with a vacuum RCM or an ultrasound cleaning machine (pricier solution).

PalsHuffMor
20-07-2017, 19:15
I have the Spin Clean but have 'upgraded' to a 'proper' RCM (Okki Nokki).

No comparison, really. The OKKi cleans much deeper, much quicker, and without the mess - although the vac is noisy.

I have a largish collection - 3000 plus - so the cost of the proper RCM is well worth it to me.

MarginWalker
25-07-2017, 18:50
I use a Spin Clean. I'm sure the vacuum cleaners are much better, but they are also much more expensive. I think the spin Clean does a decent job and is easy and relatively quick to use. It has certainly improved some second hand records I had in my collection.

PalsHuffMor
26-07-2017, 08:05
I use a Spin Clean. I'm sure the vacuum cleaners are much better, but they are also much more expensive. I think the spin Clean does a decent job and is easy and relatively quick to use. It has certainly improved some second hand records I had in my collection.

I used Spin Clean for about a year, then bought an Okki Nokki RCM. The Spin Clean always seemed decent to me, too...but the Okki Nokki cleans far, far deeper.

Phil Lawton
26-07-2017, 08:23

If you want to try one relatively risk-free, I have one you can have for the price of postage, Kevin. I think I have a half-bottle of the cleaning solution, too.

Let me know.

harmonica98
27-07-2017, 12:13
A spin clean is definitely better than no cleaning at all - I used one when I started out in vinyl collecting. But save up for a vacuum RCM!