PDA

View Full Version : Studer A810 Poland

337alant
17-07-2017, 18:59
Studer A810 for sale you just have to nip over to Poland for it :eyebrows:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUDER-A810-Butterfly-Heads-4-speed-Master-Recorder-/332241954048?hash=item4d5b29e500:g:lQ4AAOSwaEhZK8Z i

Alan

topoxforddoc
17-07-2017, 20:00
Alan,

if I had to choose between the A810 in Poland and the A80 posted by AudioAl, there is no contest - the A80 looks absolutely in top nick with a proper rebuild, relapped heads, calibrated and a software calibration screen showing that the A80 is working to spec. The A810 is nice, but buying unseen for Poland, with no idea of what work if any has been done, could expose the buyer to a large service bill to get it up to spec.

Charlie

337alant
18-07-2017, 08:14
Hi Charlie
I think both machines look in very good nick but they are very different animals. Both superb sounding machines, the A80 is a big machine and has to be set up in a stand where as the A810 fits in nicely as a domestic piece of HIFI equipment but has the potential sound quality of the professional recorder like the A80.
I agree that the A80 has the potential advantage of being recapped and serviced (if that was done well) but I am not convinced by those re-lapped heads, I would like to see some closer photographs and confirmation of the hours usage as what is stated in the add shouldn't have needed re lapping
Anyway £4000 is a lot of money for any machine IMO and I wouldn't pay it , but if you were in the market and were prepared to pay then I guess you would choose whatever suits your own personal requirements
I just wish I had bought an A80 when the prices were reasonable:doh:

Alan

Audio Al
18-07-2017, 09:09
Both nice machines but I would opt for the A80 :eyebrows:

337alant
18-07-2017, 11:39
Both nice machines but I would opt for the A80 :eyebrows:
But Al dont you have an Otari MTR15? thats an excellent machine as well

Alan

Audio Al
18-07-2017, 14:50
But Al dont you have an Otari MTR15? thats an excellent machine as well

Alan

I have a MTR12 that I waited for over 2 years for Stewart to sort out for me / service and setup , sadly that not happening now :(

337alant
18-07-2017, 15:22
I have a MTR12 that I waited for over 2 years for Stewart to sort out for me / service and setup , sadly that not happening now :(
O dear thats a shame
However instead of trying to fix a specific fault you could buy this little lot and just swap out boards util it starts working
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOT-of-Otari-MTR10-MTR-12-Spare-parts-/252528584215?hash=item3acbe06617:g:qZMAAOSwtpZYSGA d

You would still have to calibrate it but thats not diffacult on the Otari's

Alan

Arkless Electronics
18-07-2017, 15:45
For what it's worth I do repairs to the analogue electronics of R2R machines.... no doubt people will prefer a "one stop" service that includes the mechanicals and setting up/calibration but if someone has problems with just the record/re-play electronics chain I can usually cover that no problem.

Audio Al
18-07-2017, 16:01
My MTR12 works it plays , FF / FR / Stop / Start etc

When Philip viseted to make up the special XLR leads he spoke on the phone to Stewart and they thought there may be a difference of 6db on the record side of things however Philip did not have all the test / calibration equipment needed to set it it , , Then Philip went home , Apparently you need extender boards so you can test things on the boards fitten inside the machine , this then extends the boards outsid the machine , Stewart said he new someone who had some but alas poor Stewart is no longer with us :(

Audio Al
18-07-2017, 16:03
O dear thats a shame
However instead of trying to fix a specific fault you could buy this little lot and just swap out boards util it starts working
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOT-of-Otari-MTR10-MTR-12-Spare-parts-/252528584215?hash=item3acbe06617:g:qZMAAOSwtpZYSGA d

You would still have to calibrate it but thats not diffacult on the Otari's

Alan

Big gamble if they are not the correct numbers £600 plus shipping Plus import fees handling charges and then 20% VAT

topoxforddoc
18-07-2017, 20:32
Al,
I spoke to Stewart about your machine shortly before he passed away. He suspects that the levels and bias are all over the place - that's why it's 6dB down on one channel record. The machine pulls tape and Philip cleaned it up a fair bit, as I gather it was pretty filthy. Stewart thought that it might well be ok if the repro, record and bias set up are taken right back to basics with everything set to level and a fresh start. That could take most of a day even with a test tape, the right tools and instruments. Realistically that's probably very doable, but paying for a full day of an engineer's time ain't cheap.
Getting my original Sony APR5002 back to spec cost me almost £450 with Stewart. However, just like your MTR12, you're looking at a machine which would be £20-30k new, if it was in production today. I have always bought my R2R machines accepting that they will cost something to get them spot on. Once there, there is nothing better, given the right source tapes.
Charlie