PDA

View Full Version : Advice with a phono stage

aulis
16-07-2017, 11:19
Hi,
I recently bought a Sonneteer Alabaster with no phono input. I would like to buy a second hand phono stage (400 euros/pounds aprox.), but don't know what to do and I would appreciate any help. It can be MM only.

Here are my options:

The (too) obvious one: a Sonneteer Sedley.
I think that I would not err with any of these: Whest Two, Graham Slee, Edwards Audio (two MC3 have been sold here or in PFM recently).
Those for which I feel the itch (because there is a craftsman behind them): Firebottle, Arkless, Mark Travis, ¿any other?

¿Anyone has tried any of these with a Sonneteer and want to share?

Thanks.

hifi_dave
16-07-2017, 11:36
If you like what the Alabaster does, then their Sedley would be a good bet. It's an excellent phono stage and well priced.

Alternatively, you could return the Alabaster to Sonneteer for them to retro-fit an MM phono stage, as the Alabaster now comes as standard with the internal phono stage.

Bigman80
16-07-2017, 12:19
The Firebottle OTP-MK2 will be available very soon, it's an outstanding phonostage. It's under your budget too.

If you get up to the Midlands at all, you are welcome to a demo.

Oliver.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

moodybuilder
16-07-2017, 16:35
Angle audio studio pro, comes either mc or mm with the benafit of a virtual battery with 12 hours play time, these i think punch well above weight.

RothwellAudio
17-07-2017, 08:49
Get a Rothwell Simplex.
I've paid good money for the privilege of saying that - so I might as well say it :lol:

CageyH
17-07-2017, 08:59
Whatever you get, you need to try it in your system first, to see if you are happy with it.

aulis
17-07-2017, 16:09
Thank you all for your suggestions.
(Fortunately) I live in Spain, but unfortunately cannot try everything I want as there not that much shops in town. ¡Neither attend any demo (despite Oliver's kind invitation)!

Sending the Alabaster to Sonneteer and back to Spain needs already an extrabudget, so it is definitely easier to get a Sedley.

Rothwell is also a bet with no risks (and affordable too): to be seriously considered.

I have read good reviews on the Angle Audio's product. Could be.

Anyway, I am not in a hurry, so can wait to read what people say about the OTP MK2.

Well, still open to suggestions.
Thank you again.

Bigman80
17-07-2017, 16:41
Ah, no worries. There will be a write-up from independent members once tested.

petrat
17-07-2017, 16:42
Hi Jose ... I'd second the suggestion of the Rothwell ... exceptionally good for the money ime.

struth
17-07-2017, 16:50
Ah, no worries. There will be a write-up from independent members once tested.

Sure it will be good.

The Rothwell will be too.

Arkless Electronics
17-07-2017, 18:28
I'll join the fray and offer the Arkless 640P as well but obviously there is no chance of a demo abroad.... Having said that, many people have bought the Arkless 640P without hearing it and non have been disappointed;)

aulis
20-07-2017, 10:40
Of course. Your Arkless 640P is definitely in my list.