PDA

View Full Version : Living Voice alternatives

Johnny nocash
09-07-2017, 21:17
I've already posted the same thread on the Wam a couple of months ago so apologies if you're a visitor to the WWF;)
I've been unsuccessful in upgrading my LV-OBX R2's to RW's so I'm contemplating alternatives.
As a user of LV's for nearly 20 years I've lost touch with the competition out there so any suggestions would be welcome.
A big deviation from their sound may be too much at the mo but a slightly larger soundstage would be great and maybe a tad more openness in the treble.
I know price isn't always a true indicator of quality but as a guide I was looking to spend approx £4K second hand.
Any thoughts out there?
Cheers

walpurgis
09-07-2017, 21:25
With that budget, you could pick up a near new pair of Tannoy Kensingtons. The soundstage and openness may well be to your liking.

lordmortlock
09-07-2017, 21:37
Ever tried raising the lvs up a bit to get the tweeter higher mate? I found it turned a good speaker into an exceptional one and made for a much bigger, wider sound.

Johnny nocash
09-07-2017, 21:38
Cheers Geoff, but I ashamedly have to admit that appearance is important to me.
I appreciate that they're top sounding but I do prefer a more modern look.
I even tried the horns Mummy by autotech!

Johnny nocash
09-07-2017, 21:42
Ever tried raising the lvs up a bit to get the tweeter higher mate? I found it turned a good speaker into an exceptional one and made for a much bigger, wider sound.

Yes mate, my R2's currently sit on granite blocks atop of mana clone bases which have raised the height by 5 inches. Yes it does help.

Johnny nocash
10-07-2017, 23:05
I take it that with the exception of Tannoys, the LV's have no rivals;)

Macca
11-07-2017, 06:44
Picking speakers for someone else especially at a rarefied price point isn't that easy. Plus you said you don't want to stray too far from the LV sound.

At £4K used the sky is the limit if you are prepared to travel to collect.

Pharos
11-07-2017, 09:10
The difficulty is that there are so many, often obscure, makes of speaker out there in the upper range of quality, that it seems impossible to even know of them, let alone hear them.

walpurgis
11-07-2017, 09:19
If you need modern looking speaker with a character that won't be too far removed from Living Voice, I guess you could look a Zingali models, they have a certain vitality.

Johnny nocash
11-07-2017, 09:50
Cheers Macca & Pharos, I agree with your points.
It's a big speaker world out there so that's why I'm asking if other members (especially if they had LV's before) if they have any suggestions to cut down the field a bit.
Cheers

Johnny nocash
11-07-2017, 09:57
If you need modern looking speaker with a character that won't be too far removed from Living Voice, I guess you could look a Zingali models, they have a certain vitality.

Cheers Again Geoff, I do like the Zingalis but when I heard a pair a few years back (standmount, can't remember which model, I think it was the overture 2) they were very refined but maybe a bit polite. Maybe worthwhile taking a look at the bigger models.

pure sound
11-07-2017, 10:11
I do have an interest as the importer but I'd recommend that you try to hear some Heco Direkts. With a sensitivity of 95 dB/W and presenting a benign load they can work very well with low powered, high quality amplifiers.

Johnny nocash
11-07-2017, 10:23
I do have an interest as the importer but I'd recommend that you try to hear some Heco Direkts. With a sensitivity of 95 dB/W and presenting a benign load they can work very well with low powered, high quality amplifiers.

Thanks Guy. I am interested in these as they were also suggested on the Wam thread. Power shouldn't be a problem as I currently use Graaf mono's giving approx 40w per channel. Maybe too much? Could you advise? Cheers

pure sound
11-07-2017, 12:22
Thanks Guy. I am interested in these as they were also suggested on the Wam thread. Power shouldn't be a problem as I currently use Graaf mono's giving approx 40w per channel. Maybe too much? Could you advise? Cheers

Ought to be fine, it's more about quality & than quantity & the Graaf stuff usually sounds pretty good. Whereabouts are you?

Johnny nocash
11-07-2017, 13:15
Ought to be fine, it's more about quality & than quantity & the Graaf stuff usually sounds pretty good. Whereabouts are you?

Thanks Guy & for the PM as well. I'm in Muswell Hill, north London.

hifinutt
11-07-2017, 13:38
please richard , pop up to brum and listen to some verity audio speakers , they would definately be LV alternatives . they are not hugely common but they are in the same ilk . not quite as sensitive but i have had a few amps on them with good results leben 30w and grandinote 37 w

https://youtu.be/_K-zB1Lq3Tk

eddieedwards
14-07-2017, 06:07
When I moved house, I brought my living voice with me and my room went from circa 30 cubic metres to a larger one at about the times that volume. The living voice were lost in there.

I moved to some cadence amaya, which are far, far better imo. 91db, but quite rare and a visually acquired taste! Apart from the amaya, the smaller anina is excellent too.

If you fancy something visually similar to living voice, then the Devore range is superb. Again, though, quite rarely seen.

mongeddavid
18-07-2017, 06:23
I was in the same boat having LVs for 10 plus years and whilst having a fair few guest speakers i always returned to the LVs. I did however find that some horn designs i tried gave a very nice more live and real presentation than the LVs but usually with some trade off somewhere along the line. Impulse H2s were nice but could sound a tad ragged at times. Anyhoo long story demoed a pair of Avantgarde Horns and that was it for me. They did all the nice things the LVs did and then some especially in the Dynamics department. I am using them in a not so big room but they seem tolerant. Highly sensitive to associated equipment. They are also highly tweakable.

A definite step up from the LVs IMHO

Johnny nocash
18-07-2017, 08:57
When I moved house, I brought my living voice with me and my room went from circa 30 cubic metres to a larger one at about the times that volume. The living voice were lost in there.

I moved to some cadence amaya, which are far, far better imo. 91db, but quite rare and a visually acquired taste! Apart from the amaya, the smaller anina is excellent too.

If you fancy something visually similar to living voice, then the Devore range is superb. Again, though, quite rarely seen.

Thanks Matthew, my listening room is about 48 cubic metres & the LV's are about right in it. Just looking for a tad more openness in the treble & hopefully a bit larger sound stage. I saw your Amayas, they are intriguing, but the aesthetics are indeed a taste thing. GLWS. I had looked Fidelity Gibbons in the past but kept with the LV.

Johnny nocash
18-07-2017, 09:04
I was in the same boat having LVs for 10 plus years and whilst having a fair few guest speakers i always returned to the LVs. I did however find that some horn designs i tried gave a very nice more live and real presentation than the LVs but usually with some trade off somewhere along the line. Impulse H2s were nice but could sound a tad ragged at times. Anyhoo long story demoed a pair of Avantgarde Horns and that was it for me. They did all the nice things the LVs did and then some especially in the Dynamics department. I am using them in a not so big room but they seem tolerant. Highly sensitive to associated equipment. They are also highly tweakable.

A definite step up from the LVs IMHO

Cheers David. I've listened to a couple of horn based speakers & found that they can be a bit too forward in the treble for me. I've just been demoing the horns Mummy which were good in that department but the bass seemed 'one- notey' in my room and lower mids lacked drive. Maybe the Avant Gardes would prove different.

bosa
18-07-2017, 13:12
I moved from Avatars to Tune Audio Primes, primarily as the Avatars would not work in a small room when we moved house, but I also wanted to improve on the treble presence and define the bass better. The primes do this without sacrificing the midrange. They are horn loaded with the opening at the bottom. The horn super tweeters come in above 6khz. Treble is sweet and detailed.

paulf-2007
18-07-2017, 21:11
Cheers Geoff, but I ashamedly have to admit that appearance is important to me.
I appreciate that they're top sounding but I do prefer a more modern look.
I even tried the horns Mummy by autotech!
What did you think of the mummy's, I suspect they are more lifestyle than substance. I had 200hz tractrix auto tech horns that were very good so I'm not anti auto tech

PalsHuffMor
20-07-2017, 19:27
I'd throw a pair of Impulse H1s or H2s into the mix...if you can find any

fatmarley
20-07-2017, 20:30
What did you think of the mummy's, I suspect they are more lifestyle than substance. I had 200hz tractrix auto tech horns that were very good so I'm not anti auto tech

I haven't heard the Mummy's but the cabinet shape Is pretty much perfect as far as diffraction goes.

Johnny nocash
21-07-2017, 08:51
Thanks for the further input Jonathan, Paul, Christopher & Matt, appreciated.

With regards to the Mummy's, at first I thought they were very good. Very open, sparkling top end which help produce a wide soundstage. After further listening I found that the bass was a bit 'one-noted' and lacked definition. In fairness, I didn't have a chance to try them with my valve monos which may have helped. Furthermore my room has a suspended floor & bass can be an issue.
I think the Mummy's could be a brill speaker in the right set up. When Greg (good fella) of G.Point audio who very kindly arranged the demo looked at my room he suggested the hOrns Aria could be a better option. I'm hoping to get hold of a pair soon.
I've also been looking at the Verity range of speakers, Rienzi, Parsifal, Leonore as they have the option of reversing the bass cabinet. Not easy to get hold of so views on any of their range would be good.
Cheers guys.

Johnny nocash
29-07-2017, 16:53
Just posted this on the UFC forum so apologies if you've read it already.

I've tried the hOrns Mummy which at first seemed very good, but eventually bugged me as the bass seemed very 'ploddy'. Together with the very sharp uppers gave the impression that the lower mids felt sucked out & lacked drive.

Moved on to Verity Rienzi's, superb but I couldn't get the bass to work in my room. I know it's my 1st floor flat causing the issues, Damn.

Although my LV's are rear ported they still work better in the room than the above. It seems likely that I will push on down the LV route as proof is in the pudding as they say. To keep costs down maybe an upgrade to R3 rather than RW would be OK as I'm not sure that silver wiring is more beneficial than the improved tweeter. Any advice welcome.

In addition, bring on any further recommendations with regards to LV alternatives. I am aware of the Heco Direkt cult��

chris@panteg
29-07-2017, 20:51
I have a pair of Avatars and for me are just about the ideal speakers for my room and preferences, so I can't be of much help, but have you thought about having a chat with Kevin Scott? I'm sure it could be worthwhile.

Johnny nocash
30-07-2017, 11:57
I have a pair of Avatars and for me are just about the ideal speakers for my room and preferences, so I can't be of much help, but have you thought about having a chat with Kevin Scott? I'm sure it could be worthwhile.

I used to have the Avatars Chris & yes they were a cracking speaker. I've had a chat with Kevin but the end result was that l had a sphincter twitching like a rabbits nostril. Hence I'm on the 2nd hand market.