PDA

View Full Version : Audio Technica AT33PTG/II

Qwin
05-07-2017, 23:00
I've been using a pre owned Ortofon MC20 Supreme, its a nice cartridge, but the suspension is starting to sag, so I have to start think about what I will replace it with. I'm looking for a LOMC, but I don't want to have to sell a kidney, so under £500, which in MC terms is not very high up the ladder I know.
I had a Denon DL-301 II which I liked a lot, punchy vibrant sound, especially liked the way it handled surface noise on my mainly pre owned vinyl. The cantilever fell out and that was the end of that.

When considering a cartridge the Phono stage is part of the equation, probably more so than the turntable, if not the arm, so I've been thinking along those lines.

The evergreen DL-103/103R with a valve MM Phono/SUT have been mewed over and would be a popular choice.

I started to read good things on hear and elsewhere about the AT33PTG/II:

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Pics/AT33_3.JPG

I'm not knowledgeable on the AT range, so made a few enquiries and a very good fellow of this parish offered to loan me his, that's it pictured on my linear tracking arm. I was going to try it with my Pro-Ject Phono Box RS using the balanced inputs and with my newly completed tracking PSU. However an alternative came up which I couldn't ignore, in the form of a pre owned Aqvox Phono 2CI mkII:

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Pics/Aqvox%20Phono%202CI%20mkII.JPG

Designed originally for studio use on CD to Vinyl mastering and in direct to vinyl recording it is very transparent and detailed. This would be an ideal unit to try out the AT33.

Well I have to say, I agree with the positive comments on the AT33. It has a nice balanced sound across the whole frequency range. Not too bright or brittle as some AT's have a reputation for, nice rich mids and plenty of punch and depth at the bottom end. For its price, there is a lot of detail retrieval, I like this one and it's good at ignoring all but the worst surface noise as well.

This is currently top of my want list.

I've been listening using solid silver wire between cartridge/phono stage, but I want to try it with copper, which I tend to prefer for the mids in most cases. I will be making some balanced leads using Sommer SC-Goblin, screened copper twisted pair (under £2.00/m) it's flexible, only 4.6mm dia and fairly low capacitance, so should be fit for purpose.

I'll see how that fares.

Jimbo
06-07-2017, 05:05
There are a few MC cartridges around that price level I would consider Ken and the At33PTGii is certainly one of them. I would also like to hear a Hana SL at about the same price. I can get a Dynavector fairly cheap and have heard most of their range although the really good stuff does not really start till you get to £1500!

I think you have a good choice there and glad it has worked out for you. As always preamp, SUT or head amp combinations make a big difference which always drives me mad with MC cartridges hence I am sticking with the 2M black for sometime yet. This would see off a lot of MC cartridges at the same price anyway.

Sometime in the future Ken I would recommend you try a Decca, once heard never forgotten. As you know I wrote a big review on the Decca Blue, my conclusion being its like having a Ferrari in the garage that you only use occasionally. Certainly for excitement and the ultimate vinyl experience the Decca has to be one of the best.

Happy listening with the AT33PTGii. I like their cartridges a lot.

Qwin
06-07-2017, 07:02
Jimbo - The Decca Gold has been on my radar for a couple of years, what has held me back is reports that they emphasise surface noise.
I've never heard a Decca so can only go off what others have said.
How did you find the Blue in this respect?
I know they are a good match on my arm as Vic at Trans-Fi uses either a Jubilee or Reference, I forget which.

My vinyl is mainly pre owned so this aspect is important for me.

The Aqvox Phono stage I just got wouldn't suit a MM/Iron, it's pretty average in MM or RCA input. When you switch over to XLR input and use a LOMC it works as a balanced current amplifier rather than a voltage amplifier. LOMC's are balanced current generators and put out low voltage but high current and according to the blurb that came with it, this is what it takes advantage of. All the Gain/Loading/Capacitance dip switches are bypassed when you flick a switch to XLR and the two gain knobs on the front come into play. Separate Left/Right controls allow you to balance cartridge L/R channels, these only operate on the first stage and are not in the signal path. They seem to act more like tone controls and you can subtly alter the way voices are portrayed for example when using them. I don't pretend to understand half of what is in the technical explanations but the results seem to match what is implied.

I still have the Pro-Ject Phono Box RS which would work with a Decca, I'm using this with the balanced inputs now, its a fully differential balanced circuit and the results I am getting using it this way and with my newly completed tracking PSU are a significant improvement.

I am also in line to try Alan's Vivant and want to set up a three way Phono shoot out. :eyebrows:

I'm keeping busy as you can tell, have some mods in mind for my arm, when I can find time, as I want to implement my Hypex DLCP modules next. ;)

Enjoying the AT33PTG/II it will take some beating at the price, will be sad when I have to give it back.

Mnnn........ Decca's, you started something now. :D

Firebottle
06-07-2017, 07:20
Fantastic Ken. I've actually heard the AT33PTG/II through my system and it is a superb performer, good choice.

:)

Qwin
06-07-2017, 07:30
Fantastic Ken. I've actually heard the AT33PTG/II through my system and it is a superb performer, good choice.

Yes, I could quite happily live with one of these, the rest of your system would need to be pretty top notch before it would be the weakest link.

CageyH
06-07-2017, 07:56

It was on a different deck/arm combo though.
I was just reflecting on that day yesterday.

There was a guy on the Wam selling them at a very reasonable price recently.

Bigman80
06-07-2017, 08:07
Vivant = outstanding

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

bob4333
06-07-2017, 08:29
Another vote for the 33 PTG II.

So far it's seen off:-

Benz Micro Wood SL
SAE 1000 LT (this was bl**dy close)
AT OC9 ML II
Nagaoka MP 500
Shelter 5000

I also have a brand new Ortofon Cadenza Bronze sitting in it's box that's a replacement for the original that had to be returned. The fact it's still in the box is testament to how highly I rate the 33.

The bottom line is that you can spend an awful lot more and get an awful lot less for your money. The comments on Decca's are intriguing though................

Bigman80
06-07-2017, 08:48
You could consider a ZYX R50 too. It's a very good cart.

Jimbo
06-07-2017, 09:01
Ken, my Decca Blue is resting at the moment as I am waiting to have it re tipped with a line contact stylus. If you would like to borrow it to listen too I will send it up, just PM me your address.

They are a bit tricky to set up and take a bit of fettling but I can talk you through it.

Qwin
06-07-2017, 09:05
It was on a different deck/arm combo though.
I was just reflecting on that day yesterday.

There was a guy on the Wam selling them at a very reasonable price recently.

Be interested in a link if you can remember where, I will have a look over there anyway, their new GUI is not conducive to finding what you want quickly though, a backward step in that respect.

Qwin
06-07-2017, 09:07
Vivant = outstanding

Gime Gime.......... :please:

Bigman80
06-07-2017, 09:10
Gime Gime.......... :please:
I love it, Ken. Such a natural sounding phonostage. I'm not gonna go on about it but at a recent meet it fared extremely well against Nick Gorhams (?) phonostage. Alan has the details.

Qwin
06-07-2017, 09:10
Another vote for the 33 PTG II.

So far it's seen off:-

Benz Micro Wood SL
SAE 1000 LT (this was bl**dy close)
AT OC9 ML II
Nagaoka MP 500
Shelter 5000

I also have a brand new Ortofon Cadenza Bronze sitting in it's box that's a replacement for the original that had to be returned. The fact it's still in the box is testament to how highly I rate the 33.

The bottom line is that you can spend an awful lot more and get an awful lot less for your money. The comments on Decca's are intriguing though................

Wow, that's some stiff competition, but my short listening experience is saying you're not wrong.

Qwin
06-07-2017, 09:13
I love it, Ken. Such a natural sounding phonostage. I'm not gonna go on about it but at a recent meet it fared extremely well against Nick Gorhams (?) phonostage. Alan has the details.

Can't wait to try it, I had the prototype KIN on loan for a while and liked that, Alan says he has squeezed a bit more out of the phono stage since then.

Qwin
06-07-2017, 09:16
You could consider a ZYX R50 too. It's a very good cart.

Yeh, Paul at RFC rates them highly and I trust his opinion.

walpurgis
06-07-2017, 09:19
Yeh, Paul at RFC rates them highly and I trust his opinion.

I rate these too. Now superseded by a much pricier version. Old stock is still available I believe and a total bargain for the sound on offer.

Qwin
06-07-2017, 09:21
Ken, my Decca Blue is resting at the moment as I am waiting to have it re tipped with a line contact stylus. If you would like to borrow it to listen too I will send it up, just PM me your address.

They are a bit tricky to set up and take a bit of fettling but I can talk you through it.

I have a lot going on at the moment James, but when the dust settles I might just take you up on that. My arm is easily adjusted so I would be able to dial it in easily with a few pointers.

Appreciate the offer.

Qwin
06-07-2017, 09:30
I rate these too. Now superseded by a much pricier version. Old stock is still available I believe and a total bargain for the sound on offer.

The only ZYX I've heard was at the Scalford show a couple of years ago, may have been an R100, turned in a good performance.

Bigman80
06-07-2017, 09:40
The only ZYX I've heard was at the Scalford show a couple of years ago, may have been an R100, turned in a good performance.
I don't tend to keep things very long if I'm not impressed and I've had mine for quite some time now. Couldn't think of anything that's better for the £250 (?) I paid Geoff for it.

The Vivant is in a very nice new enclosure now. It looks excellent and the box itself weighs a fair bit. Also, the writing on the front has the same style as Alan's other kit, rather than the crackers type on the first version lol

Alan has squeezed out some more performance and while it's not a big jump in term of performance it is noticeable. It's next on my list of purchases and I know there isn't anything to beat it under £3000. Bold claim I know but it's my belief. It was up against £5k phonostages a week ago and performed incredibly well. Only being outdone by a DIY stage, that had EVERY component matched within a ridiculously low tolerance. The guy says that it's impossible for it to ever be a commercial product due to the huge wastage of unused parts and costs of making it. The Vivant was so close to matching it's performance. That's when Alan went home and added the things he had learned from the bake off and improved the Vivant.

Firebottle
06-07-2017, 09:48
..... the writing on the front has the same style ..... rather than the crackers type on the first version

:rofl:

Bigman80
06-07-2017, 09:54
:rofl:
😂

Jimbo
06-07-2017, 10:14
I don't tend to keep things very long if I'm not impressed and I've had mine for quite some time now. Couldn't think of anything that's better for the £250 (?) I paid Geoff for it.

The Vivant is in a very nice new enclosure now. It looks excellent and the box itself weighs a fair bit. Also, the writing on the front has the same style as Alan's other kit, rather than the crackers type on the first version lol

Alan has squeezed out some more performance and while it's not a big jump in term of performance it is noticeable. It's next on my list of purchases and I know there isn't anything to beat it under £3000. Bold claim I know but it's my belief. It was up against £5k phonostages a week ago and performed incredibly well. Only being outdone by a DIY stage, that had EVERY component matched within a ridiculously low tolerance. The guy says that it's impossible for it to ever be a commercial product due to the huge wastage of unused parts and costs of making it. The Vivant was so close to matching it's performance. That's when Alan went home and added the things he had learned from the bake off and improved the Vivant.

£3000!!! That's gone up a bit!
:eek:

Bigman80
06-07-2017, 10:21
The Vivant is still £1000ish. It's the DIY one that was about £3k lol

Jimbo
06-07-2017, 10:30
The Vivant is still £1000ish. It's the DIY one that was about £3k lol

Fhew, thats good.:)

Bigman80
06-07-2017, 10:31
Fhew, thats good.:)
Lol, should've been clearer

Kind with Vivant phono stage is around £1100

The Vivant is £1000

I hunk that's right

Alan will confirm the prices.

Firebottle
06-07-2017, 10:39
Now pay attention Oli, or you'll be asked to stay behind after class :spank:

Vivant phono stage £1100, KIN full line / phono preamp with remote £1800.

struth
06-07-2017, 10:44
watch or that boy will bankrupt you Alan:lol:

Jimbo
06-07-2017, 10:55

:lol:

CageyH
06-07-2017, 11:08
Be interested in a link if you can remember where, I will have a look over there anyway, their new GUI is not conducive to finding what you want quickly though, a backward step in that respect.

It seems it was not that recent. Sorry.
Contact Mellstock on the Wam, he may have a few coming.

Qwin
06-07-2017, 11:17
:thumbsup:

Bigman80
06-07-2017, 12:34

Lol oops. 💰💰💰💰 A bit off the mark there 😂

Cycleallday
06-07-2017, 12:47

Ian Harrison HiFi has it for about £375

Qwin
06-07-2017, 12:59
Ian Harrison HiFi has it for about £375

Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

EDIT: No website? Strange for a business, can't check the price.

bob4333
06-07-2017, 13:19
You're right. I've dealt with him a few times and very old fashioned. No credit cards, no website and no response to emails.

You have to phone him, send him a cheque or do a bank transfer, but a very honest and straight up bloke to deal with.

When you see his prices you realise what others are making. I guess a very low overhead.

Clive197
06-07-2017, 13:27
I've both the AT33PTG/II and HanaSL. I ran the AT for a year and then swapped over to the Hana about 3 months ago depending which way the wind blows I think I prefer the AT BUT there are certainly times the Hana blows me away. As the AT is two thirds the price of the Hana I think you should stick with your thoughts on the AT33PTG/II. I bought mine from Juno in Camden Town north London for only £354 which made it a stonkingly good deal.

Qwin
06-07-2017, 14:32
You're right. I've dealt with him a few times and very old fashioned. No credit cards, no website and no response to emails.

You have to phone him, send him a cheque or do a bank transfer, but a very honest and straight up bloke to deal with.

When you see his prices you realise what others are making. I guess a very low overhead.

So how do you know what he stocks and what his prices are? :scratch:

Qwin
06-07-2017, 14:37
I've both the AT33PTG/II and HanaSL. I ran the AT for a year and then swapped over to the Hana about 3 months ago depending which way the wind blows I think I prefer the AT BUT there are certainly times the Hana blows me away. As the AT is two thirds the price of the Hana I think you should stick with your thoughts on the AT33PTG/II. I bought mine from Juno in Camden Town north London for only £354 which made it a stonkingly good deal.

Thanks for your input Clive, I see Juno are priced at £415 at present.

I'm in no hurry, so will keep my eye on offers etc.

bob4333
06-07-2017, 15:51

He advertises in Hifi World mostly, sometimes with prices. But eventually you have to phone him.

My Michele stuff arrived quickly, direct from the factory.

Cycleallday
06-07-2017, 17:38

Phone number: 01283 702875

Email: ian.harrison@mercian.myzen.co.uk (but phone is best)

Well worth a try for his price before buying else where

Current price for AT33PTG/II £375, AT333EV version is £330 and ZYK R100 £600

Mel

Qwin
06-07-2017, 17:42
Thanks for those Mel.

mikeyb
06-07-2017, 17:56
The Vivant was so close to matching it's performance. That's when Alan went home and added the things he had learned from the bake off and improved the Vivant.

That sounds interesting 😁

Bigman80
06-07-2017, 18:24
Yes, mikeyb. The improvement came by way of diagnosing the "Miller effect" and then curing it.

Explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_effect

It has resulted in better focus and releasing the treble to float around delicately.

I don't understand all of the technical jargon but whatever Alan did, its worked. The improvements are more like fine tuning a precision instrument rather than overhauling the whole thing.

mikeyb
06-07-2017, 18:31
Yes, mikeyb. The improvement came by way of diagnosing the "Miller effect" and then curing it.

Explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_effect

It has resulted in better focus and releasing the treble to float around delicately.

I don't understand all of the technical jargon but whatever Alan did, its worked. The improvements are more like fine tuning a precision instrument rather than overhauling the whole thing.
Thanks, I think a PM might be winging it's way to Firebottle towers shortly. 😁

Bigman80
06-07-2017, 18:42
Thanks, I think a PM might be winging it's way to Firebottle towers shortly. ��

I don't blame you mate. Staggeringly good. :D

Plus, It would work very well the AT cart the OP mentioned.

I should also mention that the Nick Gorhams Phono stage was priced incorrectly by me !

Here's what Alan says

"The Nick Gorham MFA stage retails at £9500, just for MM input 😱 also, the DIY wasn't costed because it is a DIY piece"

walpurgis
06-07-2017, 18:47
The improvement came by way of diagnosing the "Miller effect" and then curing it

I have visions of bags of flour for some reason. :D

rubber duck
06-07-2017, 19:47

Designed originally for studio use on CD to Vinyl mastering and in direct to vinyl recording it is very transparent and detailed. This would be an ideal unit to try out the AT33.

What a coincidence Ken. I recently bought Hugo's AT33PTG as I wanted to try a LOMC with my Aqvox. My usual cart is a Hana SH. The AT33PTG is impressive but the jury is still out whether it's better than the Hana. Not sure if you're using the balanced inputs on the Aqvox? I've always run it balanced although I must say that even the RCA inputs completely transformed my Shure M97xE.

Bigman80
06-07-2017, 19:51
I have visions of bags of flour for some reason. :D
😂😂

blake
06-07-2017, 20:18

What a coincidence Ken. I recently bought Hugo's AT33PTG as I wanted to try a LOMC with my Aqvox. My usual cart is a Hana SH. The AT33PTG is impressive but the jury is still out whether it's better than the Hana. Not sure if you're using the balanced inputs on the Aqvox? I've always run it balanced although I must say that even the RCA inputs completely transformed my Shure M97xE.

Front gain settings on the Aqvox should be quite different with those two cartridges. I'd expect that with the Hana SH the gain knobs should be turned to almost the minimum setting. I have an early MK II so my max gain setting is +14 dB with +3 dB at 12 o'clock.

With the AT 33 PTG I'd expect that the optimum gain setting should be somewhere in between +2.5 & +5 dB.

If you're not there you might try experimenting with those or other gain settings.

rubber duck
06-07-2017, 20:31
Thanks Blake, you're right about gain. I will need to play around more with the AT33PTG as it was clearly lacking drive compared to the Hana. Hana gain is set at 1.5dB and I think I had the AT at 3dB (12 o'clock) but can't be certain as it was a while ago. Must find some time to listen again.

blake
06-07-2017, 20:40
Thanks Blake, you're right about gain. I will need to play around more with the AT33PTG as it was clearly lacking drive compared to the Hana. Hana gain is set at 1.5dB and I think I had the AT at 3dB (12 o'clock) but can't be certain as it was a while ago. Must find some time to listen again.

Yes my Aqvox is older, with up to +14 dB on the gain knobs. Hard for me to tell but looks like the current/newer model maxes out at +10 db?

If that's the case you may have to go even a bit higher. I find that you really need to experiment with the Aqvox to find the sweet spot.

Good luck!

Qwin
06-07-2017, 22:36

Yes, using balanced input/output, I'm in the process of getting parts to build some copper interconnects/arm leads for comparison. My present leads are silver, continuous from cartridge tags to phono stage. Are you using the AT33PTG II or the earlier one?
The cantilever on the mkII is very slim compared with other cartridges I have used.

I need to do some tweaking on the rest of my system before I can fully evaluate the Aqvox. How do you find it? My impression so far is its a bit polite, highly detailed and transparent, but lacking the rythmic energy that draws you in. The bass goes deep but is a bit lacking in dynamics. My impression might change when I make some adjustments.

Qwin
06-07-2017, 22:43
Yes my Aqvox is older, with up to +14 dB on the gain knobs. Hard for me to tell but looks like the current/newer model maxes out at +10 db?

If that's the case you may have to go even a bit higher. I find that you really need to experiment with the Aqvox to find the sweet spot.

Good luck!

I'm finding quite small adjustments to the gain controls makes a noticeable difference.

blake
07-07-2017, 03:20
I'm finding quite small adjustments to the gain controls makes a noticeable difference.

They do indeed. IMO you will find that the sweet spot with respect to gain (and ultimately dynamics) is very small and the window very narrow. With reasonably low output cartridges (say .2 to .3 mV) I'd actually say it is well within 2 dB and closer to 1 dB. Something that I have stated here before but those with fixed gain phono stages might not be able to appreciate.

It may also vary from record to record depending on the level the record was cut at but adjusting for individual records is moving into audiophile nervosa territory (akin to adjusting VTA/SRA for individual records) and not something I'm interested in.

It is very audible. Be thankful you have the ability to adjust and make use of it!

Qwin
07-07-2017, 06:36
I'm also finding the sweet spot varies from record to record, but still within a 1dB window.

This window location varies depending on the VTA setting on my arm.
I now have the cartridge VTF towards the top of the specified range and the VTA slghtly tail down, as per the instructions to help lift the bass.

Just checked, mine is a mkII with +14dB gain adjusters.

EDIT: The mkI as reviewed by TNT Audio had +10dB adjusters.

rubber duck
07-07-2017, 23:20
Are you using the AT33PTG II or the earlier one?

It's the original, with an ESCo paratrace to boot, so most likely not representative of the AT33PTG sound though still pretty good so far.

I need to do some tweaking on the rest of my system before I can fully evaluate the Aqvox. How do you find it? My impression so far is its a bit polite, highly detailed and transparent, but lacking the rythmic energy that draws you in. The bass goes deep but is a bit lacking in dynamics. My impression might change when I make some adjustments.

I rate the Aqvox very highly (mine is Mk I). It's been years since I've listened to very high quality phono stages but I recently got to compare it to the Trilogy that everyone seems to rave about and preferred the Aqvox. It is remarkably even handed, precise, wide open on top and with very extended bass. I think these qualities could come across as polite though I wouldn't describe it as such otherwise I wouldn't be keeping it. I haven't had problems with (bass?) dynamics - do you mean LF impact?

Qwin
08-07-2017, 00:19
I haven't had problems with (bass?) dynamics - do you mean LF impact?

Yes, when listening to albums I know well and have heard through several systems, like Grace Jones - Night clubbing, or Yello - The Race, its a bit light weight at the moment, even compared to my Pro-Ject Phono Box RS. It has bags more detail and transparency though, it goes deep but lacks impact. Things might improve when I tweak my set up.
After talking to the folks at Aqvox, I'm making some custom balanced leads for my linear tracking arm, which might help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm mighty impressed with it, I just want more. :D

EDIT: This is part of it, knocked these up last night, got to make up some fine Litz twisted pairs for the tone arm, to connect to it.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Cables/Pics/Cable_02.JPG

Qwin
09-07-2017, 11:52
I swapped out the valves in my Pre amp and its made all the difference.

The Aqvox has toe tapping beat and energy in the bottom end now, so not at fault.

Even managed to reduce the VTF on the AT33PTG/II to the middle of its specified range without loosing anything and seemed to gain focus.

Gave it all a good work out using Grace Jones, Yello and some Organ music, Bach's Toccata and Fugue.

It's sounding great, never noticed the subtle details in those deep notes before, the AT33PTG/II is really shining now and the combination with the Aqvox is producing some really sweet highs (London Grammar). When Boris speaks in Yello's, The Race it's a clean and focused reproduction of that rasping deep drawl of his.

When my Ortofon MC20 Supreme decides its had enough, I wont be looking any further than the AT33PTG/II. :)

rubber duck
09-07-2017, 22:23
Glad this has worked out. If anything I think it shows how simply inserting something new into a system that has been carefully balanced around existing components can sometimes lead to incorrect conclusions. The Aqvox bass is quite remarkable not just in terms of extension but also definition and texture, including on synth bass. You've made me want to play my Yello and Grace Jones LPs but you'll hear this too on Prince (various) and Quincy Jones (The Dude) on the off chance you have these albums. It's easy to mistake this control and absence of LF bloat and artificial warmth as being lean and lacking in impact. As I listen to rock, I also value drive and impact, so it's good to know you're hearing this too.

Qwin
10-07-2017, 09:07
Yes, it seems the synergy that was there with my Pre, other Phono Stage and DAC was lost when the Aqvox was inserted.

I don't even know why I tried it, but It only took a few minuets to whip the top off my Pre and swap the valves to a different brand.

It is a much better match now, I just new there was something missing.

Just need to finish the mods to my Turntable/Arm now to accept my new interconnect arrangement. I'm converting my linear tracker to accept the 5 pin mini DIN sockets/plugs and installing some twisted pairs for the balanced wiring configuration. I'm hoping the new wiring will work even better with the AT Cartridge. :)

julesd68
10-07-2017, 13:20
I'm also finding the sweet spot varies from record to record, but still within a 1dB window.

This window location varies depending on the VTA setting on my arm.
I now have the cartridge VTF towards the top of the specified range and the VTA slghtly tail down, as per the instructions to help lift the bass..

Hi - I'm another extremely satisfied customer with an AT33PTG/II with no plans to change it at all!
I note here that you have the VTA 'tail down' - could I ask where this is recommended?

Qwin
10-07-2017, 15:41
Hi - I'm another extremely satisfied customer with an AT33PTG/II with no plans to change it at all!
I note here that you have the VTA 'tail down' - could I ask where this is recommended?

It was my phono stage manufacturer, to lift the bass when using their unit, but since changing the valves in my Pre I am running approx level.

Floyddroid
20-07-2017, 09:31
Vivant = outstanding

Indeed, I would love to hear it in my system.

Bigman80
20-07-2017, 09:33
Indeed, I would love to hear it in my system.One is being made for demos etc. Maybe Alan can accommodate that for you. Give him a shout.

Qwin
07-08-2017, 13:59
Well I was sad to see the AT33PTG/II go :wah:, it was only on loan, but what a cracker it is. If it suits your set up and you have £400 ish to spend, look no further. It will be my next cartridge purchase for sure (No pun intended).

rubber duck
07-08-2017, 14:56
That's a shame Ken. I was going to ask what gain did you end up setting on your Aqvox for the AT33?

337alant
07-08-2017, 15:37
What do you think about that Sommer Goblin Wire Ken ?

Alan

Qwin
07-08-2017, 19:32
That's a shame Ken. I was going to ask what gain did you end up setting on your Aqvox for the AT33?

I found 4.5dB worked best and was the most neutral sounding. Downstream gear, especially the pre amp will dictate where it needs to be and personal taste comes into it, but that worked for me.

Qwin
07-08-2017, 19:46
What do you think about that Sommer Goblin Wire Ken ?

Alan

Hi Alan
I like it, very flexible and with a good screen, tonally richer/warmer than the Silver I had been using, plenty of detail evident and nice bass weight. It's cheap as chips and I prefer it to the much more expensive Silver, which has a great top end, but not as natural in the mids. Its fairly low capacitance.
The Sommer is only 4.6mm dia so you can squeeze two cables into one 5 pin DIN Tone arm plug. I prefer two separate cables/screens for left/right channels rather than star quad with 4 conductors under one screen. Less chance of cross talk.
Got mine from Studio Spares, they had it listed under Broadcast quality miniature Mic/patch cable, but it has " Goblin Highflex TT-Phone Cable" printed on the jacket.
I also use the Sommer 110 ohm AES/EBU digital XLR cable, which is very good as well.

Cheers

337alant
08-08-2017, 15:08
Ok Thanks for the info Ken I will try some

Alan