PDA

View Full Version : The lovely Sennheiser HD650

southall-1998
30-06-2017, 22:00
These are now going to be my 3rd set of HD650's

Prior to the HD650, I've been using AKG K701 (7 bump headband, made in Austria example)

I do have some moderate experience of the sound presentation. Having owned a few HD650's in the past.

After doing some quick research on Google. My HD650 appear to be a later made example. The outer/inner box is no longer silver, both are now black. The units/frame from inside (seen through the metal grill) is now silver. Plenty chat about it over on Head-Fi.

The HD650 is an absolute sumptuous sounding headphone, that doesn't over hype the spectrum. You get a nice even handed balance through the midrange and top. Bass is well extended, and god damn goes down deeeeep!!

What I also find interesting, is that the HD650 (being 300 ohms), is more easier to drive than the K701 (62 ohms) Both headphones have over 100 dB sensitivity.

There are some people that go around saying, the HD650 is a tad warmer sounding than the HD600.... Well they're bloody right, and I believe in the such claims.

The older brother HD600 to my ears, just sound a tad more realistic and leaner. There's really not a huge difference between the two brothers, in my opinion.

S.

struth
30-06-2017, 22:46
Keep us informed Shane

wee tee cee
30-06-2017, 23:44
I love my 650s, they are keepers. I have tried different cables but returned back to the Senn one as its cable isolation on clothing is superb and the standard plugs going into the headphones are more secure.

Try removing the inner foams to see if that sound suits you better-very similar to removing speaker grills.

The 700s build on what the 650s do, quite a bit more expensive but worth every penny IMHO..

enjoy!!!

Ian7633
01-07-2017, 00:05
I've been using a later pair of HD650's for a while now and I have to say they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever had and as for sound quality they are very good, from deep, deep bass right up to high treble. I've no plans to change them as they do everything I want.

Bourneendboy
01-07-2017, 07:59
Do you prefer them to the Grado SR80 Shane?

narabdela
01-07-2017, 08:03
I prefer the HD600s myself. The HD650s do sound more 'impressive' initially, but I've come to the conclusion that the 600s are the more accurate.

Both are amazing comfortable, so it's just down to what sort of presentation you prefer.

southall-1998
01-07-2017, 15:02
I'll never tweak the 600/650. Simply because they don't frigging need it!! These headphones have been specially designed and tuned, to be what they are.

Bourneendboy- The Grado SR80 lacks grace compared to the HD650. It's as simple as that! To give the SR80 it's due, it has better musical timing!

S.

narabdela
01-07-2017, 17:56
....it has better musical timing!

That's a very 'What Hi-Fi' sort of judgement. :sofa:

(imho of course) :)

southall-1998
01-07-2017, 18:00
That's a very 'What Hi-Fi' sort of judgement. :sofa:

(imho of course) :)

Just trusting my ears, Hugh :lol:

S.

Simon_LDT
02-07-2017, 15:12
Have only ever had the HD600's but have been very happy with them. Can't see myself forking out for anything in the upper range as I rarely use headphones really as I prefer speakers, plus with having to wear glasses it can get uncomfortable after time. The thick comfy pads on the 600's are great, by far the best I've tried for comfort but at the end of the day it's still the pressure of them pushing the frames into my head.

narabdela
02-07-2017, 15:26
Have only ever had the HD600's but have been very happy with them. Can't see myself forking out for anything in the upper range as I rarely use headphones really as I prefer speakers, plus with having to wear glasses it can get uncomfortable after time. The thick comfy pads on the 600's are great, by far the best I've tried for comfort but at the end of the day it's still the pressure of them pushing the frames into my head.

You don't need to wear glasses when listening to music surely? :scratch:

struth
02-07-2017, 15:33

My Oppos are the most comfortable Ive worn to poit that I forget they are on, and thats with glasses. not sure how they manage it tbh.

Simon_LDT
02-07-2017, 15:57
You don't need to wear glasses when listening to music surely? :scratch:

Well, I could not wear them I guess but as I need to wear them 24/7 (well, other than sleeping) it's just very strange not wearing them at all. Plus I tend to have the liner notes out when using 'phones or if listening more casually I'll be browsing the net while listening.

Arkless Electronics
02-07-2017, 16:32
I have the similar HD580's and have found them very comfortable for any amount of time. I use them mainly for AV use as I much prefer the presentation of speakers for music. The sound is excellent with a slight lack of "sparkle" and "air" being my only real criticism. Strangely, I have found that this is largely cured and a better sound obtained if I press the phones onto my ears, compressing the foam ear cushions so that the drivers are closer to my ears. I have proved to my own satisfaction that this is NOT due to better sealing around the ears or a slight increase in volume. It's not practical to sit holding them like that of course and it is only a smallish-improvement....

southall-1998
06-07-2017, 22:15
I'm really enjoying listening to my music through the HD650.

My ears tells me, these have a nice BIG, wall of sound kind of presentation. Some may find the HD650 lacking some air and width etc. In exchange you get a lovely detailed, yet inoffensive sound.

Great VFM!!

S.

alphaGT
07-07-2017, 03:49
The HD650 offers a lot for the price. In a world filled with $1500 and $2000 headphones, I feel the HD650 is hitting above its price point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

southall-1998
07-07-2017, 07:52
The HD650 offers a lot for the price. In a world filled with $1500 and $2000 headphones, I feel the HD650 is hitting above its price point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HD650 also do a great job at social climbing (In the world of headphones)

:D

S.

mikeyb
07-07-2017, 08:06
I use a pair of 650's nearly every day, music and PC use, I'm waiting on a set of B&W P7 Wireless arriving today so be interesting to hear the difference. Bought so I could listen to music while the rest of them watch the telly and for holiday use.

Don't think I'll get rid of the 650's they're just too good but being open backed has its disadvantages.

southall-1998
07-07-2017, 08:13
I use a pair of 650's nearly every day, music and PC use, I'm waiting on a set of B&W P7 Wireless arriving today so be interesting to hear the difference. Bought so I could listen to music while the rest of them watch the telly and for holiday use.

Don't think I'll get rid of the 650's they're just too good but being open backed has its disadvantages.

Yes, they leak quite a bit!

S.

CageyH
07-07-2017, 08:16
The HD540 Reference models offer a more honest presentation, but I still use my HD650 more.

southall-1998
03-09-2017, 22:43
Now using HD600's, no longer have the 650's.

600's has a little more clarity, the bass is a touch leaner. Otherwise very identical to the 650's.

I've decided the 600's are going to be my endgame headphones. Their midrange is almost perfect! Highs are silky smooth, without sacrificing the music information. Bass is rich and extends down deep enough for my needs.

Don't get me wrong. The 650's are nice headphones. It's just at times, I find them a little bit cloy sounding for my taste.

S.

Simon75
04-09-2017, 09:30
Glad your enjoying them. I think they are great headphones, I did a fair bit of reading before getting them and think you would have to spend quite a bit more for better sounding ones, rich and lush sounding but neutral as well.

Landloper
05-09-2017, 08:14
I use the Sennheiser HD 650s as well as their HD 700s.

The 700s are excellent for good quality recordings, they really do present music in the most authentic way I've ever heard over a headphone. That said, they are such a revealing set that only quality recordings are suitable. The 650s are great for everything else, I listen to a lot of historical recordings and the 650s are worth every penny they cost. Where the 700s would present flaws as they are in the sound field the 650s somehow seem to tuck them away so they are not nearly so apparent.

I happened to spend last week using the just the 700s as i was trying to determine if there were any significant differences in the various interconnects I have. Last night I used the 650s and they seemed muggy in comparison with the 700s, but after half an hour or so that impression had gone.

Both sets are comfortable, perhaps the 700s edge it with the light airy feeling of wearing them; The Beastly No Tail prefers the 650s with the thick pads and secure impression the clamping force gives. Both are fantastic headphones in my opinion, but given the poor quality of a lot of [even modern] recordings the 650s would be the pair coming accompanying me into exile.

I'd love to try out a pair of the HD 800s, perhaps with second hand prices falling that may not remain a dream forever.

Theadmans
05-09-2017, 17:08
I won a pair of HD650s on an online Hi-Fi competition about 11 years ago. Best 5 minutes I ever spent doing this compo.

I have driven them in various ways :- Little Dot II and III Valve Headphone Amps, Capella etc.

I listen to them practically every day after the rest of the family go to bed. After listening I wrap up the cable and put them back in their original hard case box. Doing this the cables seem to last about 5 years at a go. Had to install a new set (cost about a tenner) just last week.

I sold my Capella when I got my SEG. I also run a highly modded Musical Fidelity X10D valve stage which takes the Analogue out from the SEG to my Creek 50A Integrated Amp. I actually find I prefer the sound coming out of the Creek 50A Headphone Socket. Remember this is the sound of the SEG going through the MF Valve Stage before it hits the Creek 50A. Sounds wonderful to me and I get to use the Remote Volume Control provided with Creek Amp (handy when you have got yourself comfortable on the Sofa !)

Bourneendboy
05-09-2017, 18:21
Now using HD600's, no longer have the 650's.

600's has a little more clarity, the bass is a touch leaner. Otherwise very identical to the 650's.

I've decided the 600's are going to be my endgame headphones. Their midrange is almost perfect! Highs are silky smooth, without sacrificing the music information. Bass is rich and extends down deep enough for my needs.

Don't get me wrong. The 650's are nice headphones. It's just at times, I find them a little bit cloy sounding for my taste.

S.

Shane,

Are you using the Lehmann or did you move it on?

southall-1998
05-09-2017, 19:49
Shane,

Are you using the Lehmann or did you move it on?

Moved it on a while ago. Needed the cash!

Did use the 650 with the Lehmann.....Sounded really good!

S.