PDA

View Full Version : 2.1 with a stereo power amp.

stairpost
29-06-2017, 15:48
Hello Av'ers,

I must apologise if this is a bit of a boring/stupid question.

I have a 2 channel power amp that I would like to put to use in my other half's TV room, I have a passive Sony Sub and 2 small front channel speakers leftover from an old set up, all three have spring clip terminals. Is there anyway of using the sub and the 2 speakers with just the 2 channels of the power amp?

Cheers

Rich.

struth
29-06-2017, 15:50
they will be high inputs so should be ok ... if it has in and out on sub then its put before the speakers. it should have an adjuster to set the point of the slope you want. it shouldnt affect the impedence of the amp

Firebottle
29-06-2017, 16:00
What you need is a sub with some filtering built in. If it has only 2 clips for the input then you need an external filter to send only the low bass to the sub.
Post a picture of the back of the sub if it has more connections.

stairpost
29-06-2017, 17:26
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

From memory the sub is very basic and only has a single input, it came from a 5.1 set up with an amp that had separate outs for everything.

I think it might be better to sell the amp (Linn LK140) and buy something more suitable.

Cheers

Rich.

stairpost
30-06-2017, 07:00
I've just had a quick look on eBay and there are some worryingly cheap T amps that seem to be 2.1. Has anybody has any experience of these? I'm put off them simply because they seem too cheap to be worth buying.

walpurgis
30-06-2017, 08:19
I have a couple. They work and sound better than you'd expect. At the price, why worry, just try one.

I buy those without power supplies and poke around the charity shops for wall warts to power them.

stairpost
30-06-2017, 09:03
I have a couple. They work and sound better than you'd expect. At the price, why worry, just try one.

I buy those without power supplies and poke around the charity shops for wall warts to power them.

Sound advice, Thanks.

I ordered one with power supply for £20.

It's funny how easy it is to get fooled into thinking that good must be expensive.

Cheers

Rich.

stairpost
09-07-2017, 15:42
Hello again,

OK, so I've got my 2.1 mini amp on the go, using the optical out of the Samsung virgin TiVo box with a little Fiio DAC in between. The little high end stereo speakers sound nice and clear, but the bass speaker is a bit more distorted than I would have liked. I shall see if I can get pics of the speakers and amps I'm using, but is it likely this is as good as it's going to get? Or would picking up a better quality sub woofer improve things?

Cheers

Rich.

struth
09-07-2017, 15:48
If your up on a bit of extra spending the Q Acoustic actives are super little speakers and have a sub out socket, plus line in and optical in. with a sub on and adjusted they sound fantastic. the red or white being on half price offer, or were....

stairpost
09-07-2017, 16:40
If your up on a bit of extra spending the Q Acoustic actives are super little speakers and have a sub out socket, plus line in and optical in. with a sub on and adjusted they sound fantastic. the red or white being on half price offer, or were....

I probably should have started with a package like that, but as I have bought the Fiio and the cheap amp I feel like I'm halfway down the path.

Mind you having said that a lack of remote is a major PITA.

I see Q acoustics do a sub for £120, I may have to have a think about this.

struth
09-07-2017, 16:45
as long as the sub has a mono rca on back (usually have 2, but one will be marked mono as well)and adjusts for freq and output any will do. I got a nice Canton one on the bay of evil for a good price. Sevenoaks audio do the q acoustics off amazon. its a 50 watt amp inside. comes with a small remote which you could easily clone to a big one.. something I might do next. controls vol,mute, source and on off selector. also has aptx bluetooth which is damn good.

stairpost
17-07-2017, 12:35
as long as the sub has a mono rca on back (usually have 2, but one will be marked mono as well)and adjusts for freq and output any will do. I got a nice Canton one on the bay of evil for a good price. Sevenoaks audio do the q acoustics off amazon. its a 50 watt amp inside. comes with a small remote which you could easily clone to a big one.. something I might do next. controls vol,mute, source and on off selector. also has aptx bluetooth which is damn good.

I think I've got it sorted now, it's not particularly hi tech but it works, I'm using the scart output on the tv to the 2.1 amp, the passive sub only sounds distorted when I am close to it, for the cost of the little amp and recying some old speakers it does the job nicely. And as a result of the rejig I now have a little Fiio optical DAC to try on my squeezebox touch to see if that brings an improvement.

struth
17-07-2017, 12:48
sounds like a happy ending ;) :)

stairpost
17-07-2017, 14:40
sounds like a happy ending ;) :)

Reckon so, cheers Grant. :)

Rich.