PDA

View Full Version : Latest Project - EAR 834P CLONE

Wakefield Turntables
28-06-2017, 19:43
Will be getting one of these in the next few days. This has already been made up by a guy over on Lenco Heaven.

http://i.imgur.com/1cFDBath.jpg#yKiuf

http://i.imgur.com/jko2IN3h.jpg#yKiuf

Lots of tube rolling fun and oodles of mods to be had!! This should keep me happy for a large part of the year!

Barry
28-06-2017, 19:48
Will be getting one of these in the next few days. This has already been made up by a guy over on Lenco Heaven.

http://i.imgur.com/1cFDBath.jpg#yKiuf

http://i.imgur.com/jko2IN3h.jpg#yKiuf

Lots of tube rolling fun and oodles of mods to be had!! This should keep me happy for a large part of the year!

Will this replace your Paradise phono stage?

Wakefield Turntables
28-06-2017, 19:56
No! The Paradise is booked in with Simon for further updates to bring it upto latest spec. I don't own a valve phonostage for MM carts other than the one built into my Croft pre-amp so I'm looking at getting a "Reference" valve phonostage for my DECCA and MM carts. The Croft is pretty good but I fancied doing a little tube rolling with some ECC83's. I have some Mullards sitting around, so should be fun.

drSM
29-06-2017, 06:22
is this a kit that can be purchased?

Firebottle
29-06-2017, 06:43
Sorry to p*ss on your parade Andy but IMO the 834 will never make 'reference' standard.

Its biggest problem is that it employs feedback equalisation, that gives a 'compressed' sound.

Just saying :)

Wakefield Turntables
29-06-2017, 07:07
Sorry to p*ss on your parade Andy but IMO the 834 will never make 'reference' standard.

Its biggest problem is that it employs feedback equalisation, that gives a 'compressed' sound.

well it's a start towards something reference. Who says it's staying for any large amount of time. ;)

petrat
29-06-2017, 07:21
The 834P is an oddity in EAR's line-up. It is probably the biggest-selling valve phonostage in the world, and is certainly EAR's biggest seller by far. OTOH, it was never meant to be a 'reference' product, more an affordable introduction to the world of EAR* (I built the CLEAR kit from HiFiNews back in the 90s, and the fact that TdP put the circuit into the public domain says a lot). As such, it is inevitably compromised as it was built to a relatively low price-point.

However, people who like it, love it! They are often 'music-lovers' first and foremost, people not that interested in the 'kit'. Those people seem to hang on to this product, too ... considering the numbers sold, it appears relatively infrequently secondhand. What do I think of it? The mc version is 'hobbled' by the internal SUTs ime, but the basic mm really is quite good for the money. Lively, dynamic and throws a big sound stage, not compressed at all. Not the most detailed or 'accurate', perhaps, but always 'fun'. Marmite, as they say.

* In the same way the Tron Convergence is not GT's 'reference' statement on phonostage design.

Bigman80
29-06-2017, 07:32
*****Daft Question*****

Reference standard = as good as it gets? A unit which other units are compared to?

PS. Looks like you're doing a great job.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Wakefield Turntables
29-06-2017, 08:22
Your all mis-interpreting the "reference" thing massively. Please see post #3. This little unit is a starting point for experimentation. It's a fun way of seeing how the amps work and how changing things affects sound quality. Ultimately my experimentation will enable me to look for something that I consider a "reference" for my system and then I'll probably purchase something along the lines of my experimental findings. Of course there are better pieces of kit which piddle all over the little EAR but this is part of the hobby. Hope this clears up a few points.

Bigman80
29-06-2017, 08:26
Your all mis-interpreting the "reference" thing massively. Please see post #3. This little unit is a starting point for experimentation. It's a fun way of seeing how the amps work and how changing things affects sound quality. Ultimately my experimentation will enable me to look for something that I consider a "reference" for my system and then I'll probably purchase something along the lines of my experimental findings. Of there are better pieces of kit which piddle all over the little EAR but this is part of the hobby. Hope this clears up a few points.
I am sure after you have fettled it, itll be a force to reckon with. I always wondered what "reference" referred to so that's cleared it up for me lol

I am interested to know, does the paradise use feedback equalisation?

Moko
29-06-2017, 18:52
It's a great stage for the money the basic kit from DOUK is very good but you can get much better results by following the advice here http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=26658.0 and in the near future there should also be an uprated PSU currently known as Roberts PSU.

I've built a two box version following the advice with carefully matched components and for about £250. With all the advice out there even for an electronics novice providing your careful it's certainly within most HiFi fans capacity to build one of these stages. The main thing hampering the original EAR 834 was the quality of the components used and the MC SUT's...well if you change those to 1% matched components and get some decent SUT's( if required for MC carts) and you've got a pocket rocket.

Most of the changes proposed were suggested by a guy called Thorsten when Romy The Cat was building his ultimate reference 834 stage....so if it's good enough for extreme Audiophiles like Romy it's good enough for me

Wakefield Turntables
29-06-2017, 20:15
I'm already a member of LH and I'm following the threads with great excitement!

Arkless Electronics
03-07-2017, 12:21

Whilst I agree that the 834 will never make a reference phono stage I disagree with the reason. IMO a feedback phono stage can sound just as good as a no feedback one. A feedback stage has several technical advantages over a no feedback one also. It's all down to how it's implemented ;)

Firebottle
03-07-2017, 12:40
I'll go with that, it's a different set of compromises, so I will just say I prefer the passive rather than feedback EQ sound.

:)

Arkless Electronics
03-07-2017, 13:33
I'll go with that, it's a different set of compromises, so I will just say I prefer the passive rather than feedback EQ sound.

:)

I wouldn't even say there is a particular passive eq sound or feedback eq sound! Maybe a series feedback V shunt feedback difference though yes.

A feedback eq stage will generally have much greater dynamic range than a passive version, technically that is, I'm not referring to subjective effects.

YNWaN
03-07-2017, 14:34
I am interested to know, does the paradise use feedback equalisation?

No, it doesn't - but Andy is looking for a MM stage and the Paradise is strictly MC only.

P.S. You know you can turn off the 'sent from my phone' signature.

Bigman80
03-07-2017, 14:56
No, it doesn't - but Andy is looking for a MM stage and the Paradise is strictly MC only.

P.S. You know you can turn off the 'sent from my phone' signature.
That's very interesting. I may try and build a paradise stage one day. I'd like to hear what it can do.....and I did know. Thanks 😉

YNWaN
03-07-2017, 15:02
Bear in mind the circuit boards are becoming very hard to find and there is a lot of component sourcing and matching to do.

Bigman80
03-07-2017, 15:30
Bear in mind the circuit boards are becoming very hard to find and there is a lot if component sourcing and matching to do.
Oh, maybe I'll start a bit simpler lol

Arkless Electronics
03-07-2017, 15:31
I'd consider designing a "paradise on the cheap" if there was the demand... but there isn't....

Bigman80
03-07-2017, 15:45
Probably not Jez, and not a challenge to you with your skills either.

YNWaN
04-07-2017, 09:02
I'd consider designing a "paradise on the cheap" if there was the demand... but there isn't....

There probably is a demand as Si has ended up building 20+ of the 'full fat' Paradises. However, you would need one fully built and tarted up to punt round potential customers and pundits. Then you need some half eloquent reviews - none of this, 'yeah I bought one and it's great' rubbish, or 'I know nothing about audio but I compared it to my transistor radio and it blew me away'. Then you need to consider customers from all over the country and abroad and wait for some of them to post enthusiastically about it - and only then will there be an actual demand :).

Wakefield Turntables
04-07-2017, 11:22
There probably is a demand as Si has ended up building 20+ of the 'full fat' Paradises. However, you would need one fully built and tarted up to punt round potential customers and pundits. Then you need some half eloquent reviews - none of this, 'yeah I bought one and it's great' rubbish, or 'I know nothing about audio but I compared it to my transistor radio and it blew me away'. Then you need to consider customers from all over the country and abroad and wait for some of them to post enthusiastically about it - and only then will there be an actual demand :).

they are all different as well so any review would be pointless.

Arkless Electronics
04-07-2017, 12:52

All of which is precisely the reason I won't be doing anything about it! I detest all the marketing, advertising, public relations, sycophancy, "back scratching" etc part of the business. If people were to come to me begging for such a thing I'd do it but if I've got to "create the demand" I just ain't interested...

YNWaN
04-07-2017, 13:04
'If people come to you begging' - you have more chance of winning the lottery. How do you think demand happens? It isn't just some spontaneous force of nature!

Arkless Electronics
04-07-2017, 14:39
'If people come to you begging' - you have more chance of winning the lottery. How do you think demand happens? It isn't just some spontaneous force of nature!

I do things differently. If so many people are so damn keen to have one of these phono stages then they'll come to me. Not the other way round. If that results in zero sales and zero interest then so be it. Simples.

WESTLOWER
04-07-2017, 15:05
I do things differently. If so many people are so damn keen to have one of these phono stages then they'll come to me. Not the other way round. If that results in zero sales and zero interest then so be it. Simples.

Looks like it would be very limited sales wise with that approach..

Neil McCauley
04-07-2017, 15:16

Good luck with that then.

Bigman80
04-07-2017, 15:21
😂😂😂 you kill me Jez.

Arkless Electronics
04-07-2017, 15:58
FFS guys I have no particular wish to make Paradise clones or even cheaper versions... My point was that if lots of people REALLY want one I could be interested in going for it but I'm not bothered one way or the other so I ain't going out looking for this business.. either it comes to me or it doesn't happen and I'm fine either way....

Forget I ever said I could make them if it suits you folks...

YNWaN
04-07-2017, 16:06

Of course they won't - most of them have never heard of you!

So yes, zero interest and zero sales - but I thought you were attempting to make a living - obviously not.

Arkless Electronics
04-07-2017, 19:50
Of course they won't - most of them have never heard of you!

So yes, zero interest and zero sales - but I thought you were attempting to make a living - obviously not.

Many irons in the fire already ATM... seemed that Paradise production could be at an end if no more boards available and seemed worth a punt.... If the verdict is I would have to work to establish my version of the Paradise rather than "there is a ready market there" then I have my own original products to be getting on with which I'd prefer to put the effort into :)

Wakefield Turntables
04-07-2017, 20:27
Why do I bother starting a thread about EAR clone phonostages and then it warps into something completely different? This behaviour really pisses me off.

Bigman80
04-07-2017, 20:41
Why do I bother starting a thread about EAR clone phonostages and then it warps into something completely different? This behaviour really pisses me off.

Apologies, Andrew. I think i may have caused this meandering off topic.

YNWaN
05-07-2017, 09:38
Apologies for the thread drift - I will say no more. However, you do realise that you don't actually own the thread Andrew....

Wakefield Turntables
05-07-2017, 17:10
You do realise that you don't actually own the thread Andrew....

Of course.

Wakefield Turntables
06-07-2017, 08:30
guys, don't worry. In all honesty the fun for updating this thread has been lost. I wanted to discuss the adventures of messing around with this MM clone. I don't really like the idea of my threads becoming advertising services or discussions into marketing techniques or how to build a business. :rolleyes: So subsequently this thread dies....

Bigman80
06-07-2017, 08:37
Andrew, this thread is only 4 pages long and has the potential to be 10-15 by the time it's finished. Don't throw in the towel!

Maybe a mod can tidy it up a bit and get it back on track without said business advice?

walpurgis
06-07-2017, 09:01
Threads are as 'on track' as their last post. If somebody wishes to press on with the original topic, there's nothing stopping them. No harm in a bit of thread drift, it's a natural forum phenomenon and happens to all of us.

YNWaN
06-07-2017, 09:14
guys, don't worry. In all honesty the fun for updating this thread has been lost. I wanted to discuss the adventures of messing around with this MM clone. I don't really like the idea of my threads becoming advertising services or discussions into marketing techniques or how to build a business. :rolleyes: So subsequently this thread dies....

Just ignore other stuff (I did say sorry) and get on with posting your stuff and the thread will soon return to track. If you really want no thread drift at all, or editorial control, you really need a blog not a discussion on an open forum.

smithie
24-07-2017, 12:13

im taking notice andrew:)
ill be on the look out for something to better the schilt mani i have for not silly money, so i look forward to following this thread and your findings...so dont give up or despair....you have lurkers viewing in the back ground:lol::)

regards
smithie

Wakefield Turntables
25-07-2017, 19:07
Right, I decided to update this thread. I bought this clone from Germany, ready made. It came with x3 Russian (Mullard) ECC83 valves and they made a nice noise. I've now replaced the Ruskie valves with the proper original Mullard ECC83's from the 1970's and now the phonostage make an even nicer noise. I own 3 other MM phonostages.

1. An inbuilt MM phonostage with my ATC preamp.
2. The MM stage on my Sugden Masterclass phonostage
3. The MM phonostage on my Croft Epoch pre-amp.

and then

4. The DOUK EAR834P clone.

The clone piddles all over the sugden masterclass phonostage. Next week I shall be assessing the ATC preamp MM stage, and then when my Paradise goes away for more updates I'll match the clone against Croft. So, I think I'm going to be discussing various shoot out's with other MM stages pitted against the clone and from time to time discuss upgrades along the way. The idea is to hopefully produce a resource, have some fun, and emulate the "shoot-out" list on www.fmtunerinfo.com

So after the 1st shoot out.

1. DOUK Audio EAR834P clone.
2. Sugden Masterclass MM phonostage

Stay tuned.

Bigman80
25-07-2017, 19:26
[emoji897]

smithie
25-07-2017, 20:37
ill look forward to the shoot outs and your findings andrew.
im toying with the idea of a 834p build over the winter shorter colder nights,although i was thinking of using a different bare board for my project http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Pc-Gold-Stereo-tube-Preamplifier-MM-RIAA-EAR834-phono-12AX7-ECC83-Bare-DIY-PCB/191598195402?_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1% 26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D90c0d985408048d195 b82d363cebad3c%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%2 6mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D201289100765
,but a 834p clone never the less:D
i would be starting now but im still not 100% sure to go with this or build a scratch built wd phono 3 clone.
so once again your shoot outs and finding will certainly be of great help with helping me decide,im just hoping i dont come across anything else to tempt me,and give me even more options valve phono stage wise:D
andrew,have you ever heard or used a schilt mani?this is what im using at the moment,there for its my reference and what i need to beat.
if you have heard or used one then im wondering how you feel your 834p clone would fair/compare against that.
once again ill look forward to your journey regarding the phono shootouts.

regards
paul

Wakefield Turntables
25-07-2017, 21:28
ill look forward to the shoot outs and your findings andrew.
im toying with the idea of a 834p build over the winter shorter colder nights,although i was thinking of using a different bare board for my project http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Pc-Gold-Stereo-tube-Preamplifier-MM-RIAA-EAR834-phono-12AX7-ECC83-Bare-DIY-PCB/191598195402?_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1% 26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D90c0d985408048d195 b82d363cebad3c%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%2 6mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D201289100765
,but a 834p clone never the less:D
i would be starting now but im still not 100% sure to go with this or build a scratch built wd phono 3 clone.
so once again your shoot outs and finding will certainly be of great help with helping me decide,im just hoping i dont come across anything else to tempt me,and give me even more options valve phono stage wise:D
andrew,have you ever heard or used a schilt mani?this is what im using at the moment,there for its my reference and what i need to beat.
if you have heard or used one then im wondering how you feel your 834p clone would fair/compare against that.
once again ill look forward to your journey regarding the phono shootouts.

regards
paul

I've not heard any of the Schilt stuff. I hope you can get something out of my musings. It's a pity your not in Yorkshire otherwise we could have had a shoot out. So, it's very hard to discern how this clone stacks up against your current MM stage. I'm going to enjoy doing some tube rolling and generally messing around! There are MANY threads over on LH with regards to this clone, loads of mods, loads of different PSU's so there's plenty to muck around with. My understanding is that not all the mods are beneficial and it looks like it going to be a minefield :doh: and like you I bought this to mess around with over the long winter nights.

sq225917
25-07-2017, 21:31
I should probably mention that I do have one last Paradise, circuit boards completed, awaiting cases and a buyer. It will defo be the last one I do. All boards are gone.

337alant
26-07-2017, 08:01
I should probably mention that I do have one last Paradise, circuit boards completed, awaiting cases and a buyer. It will defo be the last one I do. All boards are gone.

Well not quite ALL :eyebrows:;)

I do have one of those EAR kits in a bag somewhere just never had time to put it together and I would be interested in the parts substitution as some look pretty poor in the kit
Ill have a look over on LH thanks

Alan

Wakefield Turntables
26-07-2017, 08:07
Well not quite ALL :eyebrows:;)

I do have one of those EAR kits in a bag somewhere just never had time to put it together and I would be interested in the parts substitution as some look pretty poor in the kit
Ill have a look over on LH thanks

Alan

Be prepared for several hundred pages of threads. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on component substitution.

CornishPasty
27-07-2017, 19:49
I've built a few of these and yes the stock parts are pretty dire. Far better to buy bare boards and fit good quality parts.

Wakefield Turntables
28-07-2017, 13:26
I've built a few of these and yes the stock parts are pretty dire. Far better to buy bare boards and fit good quality parts.

Well what I'm listening to is a stock build without premium parts and I'm gobsmacked by what I'm hearing from a Chinese clone! I've sent you a PM!

RothwellAudio
28-07-2017, 15:25
...I would be interested in the parts substitution as some look pretty poor in the kit
What are you basing that on? Is it the resistors you don't like? The capacitors? Can you be any more specific?

Wakefield Turntables
28-07-2017, 19:33
OMG! I've just started going through the threads over on LH, looks like this project is going to rumble on a while!

337alant
29-07-2017, 17:02
Best to start at the end and work back over I found as there are some good summarys of the best valves and components

Wakefield Turntables
29-07-2017, 18:16
Best to start at the end and work back over I found as there are some good summarys of the best valves and components

Yes, I agree and it's also useful to chat to folks that have completed these projects in the past. I've already sifted through some of the threads and can see where a "consensus" of opinion has been formulated with respects to several of the mods. Lots more work to do before I start doing any tweaking.

Wakefield Turntables
22-09-2017, 20:27
New PSU built for this project and a new PSU for another 834 clone!! I've also started looking for suitable case with grab handles :goodfriends: (has this been used before)?

Wakefield Turntables
30-09-2017, 19:56
Slight progression with this project. I'm now building a second 834 clone purely to see how a stock unit sounds compared to a premium parts version.

I bought a Roberts PSU unit and slowly but surely built it up. Some beefy looking kit on that PSU compared to the one I have in my first clone.

A different PCB from a different company in China. Xuling company I think.

This PCB is supposed to be better for tweaking. I'm now in the process of selecting premium parts. Fortunately packs are available so all the hard work and thread bashing has been removed. I'll now do a bit of conversing with the guys over in the US of A to confirm a few things before I spend any more of my hard earned on this little project. I hope to finish by Xmas so I have a nice little pressie to help keep my listening room warm over the winter. :cool:

Wakefield Turntables
01-10-2017, 20:26
Hmmmm, GRAB HANDLES! I just love this styling. This is the case for the new clone. I've also ordered a premium parts kit from the US of A. So it looks like a super 834 is in the making!

Wakefield Turntables
13-10-2017, 20:25
Another small update with this project.

I bought the premium parts kit from a trader in the US of A. He's a regular poster on Lenco Heaven and has spent an insane amount of time researching the mods so this has saved me oodles of time. I've part populated the main PCB and shall go further until I've had confirmation that this is the correct setup. The parts values do not match the PCB, I still have a couple of caps that I'm not sure about. :steam:

This is the a quick picture showing all the other resistors which need to be populated. I'm not in a rush to get this project finished altough I do want it finished before Xmas.

Here's the much anticipated Roberts PSU a fully regulated power supply which has been mooted as a huge upgrade over the current offerings available. This is fully assembled but needs mounting in the case and a transfomer linking up.

More later. Stay tuned... :D

Moko
13-10-2017, 20:39
Keep the updates coming....I’ve a fairly pimped 834 but I’ve not gone to the lengths of some of the guys on LH.

My version has Kawami resistors and 1% matched parts in the important areas together with the PSU in a separate box which gives a really nice sound but I yet to read any opinions of how much difference the new PSU makes so your report will make interesting reading.

Wakefield Turntables
13-10-2017, 20:44
Hi, what mods have you done?

Wakefield Turntables
14-10-2017, 21:03
Some options that I wont be adding to the Clone.

A SUT.
An MC option.
Dual volume knobs for L+R channels.
No two box version

There will be some monumental amounts of tube rolling and maybe a little bit of cash spent on some boutique parts if I get chance to have a look around hifi collective. :wowzer:

Moko
14-10-2017, 22:54
Here’s my build thread over on LH http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=23945.0

Wakefield Turntables
15-10-2017, 18:14
Thanks. I will start at some point going through these threads.

Wakefield Turntables
15-10-2017, 19:07
A little more progress. I managed to get a quick hour away from child to populate the PCB.

Transformer has been orderded. I've managed to find a load of solid core silver for the internal wiring. Just awaiting the case to arrive. Also having a little splurge at hifi collective!

Wakefield Turntables
22-10-2017, 18:28
I've been chipping away at this slowly whilst doing several other projects. So, I've optimised the leg length of several caps and resistors. My transformer has arrived so now its time for a case. Now this is where you can spend a chunk of cash on a nice looking case or you can think laterally. I initially found an unpopulated case costing £85 from China but it needed a shed load of drilling and other bits and pieces doing. So, enter cash generators! I've seen a few old amps for sale but with a killer case and here's the kicker the IEC, on/off switch are already installed, the RCA and various power holes are already drilled and I can get the case as soon as I hand my cash over and it's cheaper than £85. Its a win/win/win situation I get a cheap case with sexy grab handles, several of the components are already installed so they cost nothing and I dont have to waste time or money modding the case too much. Cabling has also been sorted out and its a mixture of solid 2mm silver or copper, this cost NOTHING!

I have had to spend some money on this build! I bought x3 of these little beauties. General Electric 5751 JAN GE NOS, miltary spec with very low microphony, these cost £<90 which is a lot cheaper than HotRoxUK who wanted £180 for the same piece of kit :eek:

I've also splurged and bought some valve dampening rings and being a tight arse I managed to save some money here as well. I needed 9 in total but I would have had to buy as these are usually sold in pairs. The cheapest price I could find for x2 was £2.99 meaning 10 would have cost £15 I managed to get 9 delivered from China for £9. I'm currently on the look out for a female IEC and I'd like a pure copper version from Furutech and I would also like some solid copper female RCA's or better still some Pure silver jobbies. My final bargain came from AOS and this is the power lead which will power the new clone. This is a lovely power cable with high purity OPCC copper from Furutech its a tripped shielded mains lead and it also has silver plated IEC and plug, total should have been over £100, I managed to get this baby for £65.

I'm still hunting for bits and pieces and I'm in now rush to finish this project as I already have one 834 clone up and running! So stay tuned.....

Wakefield Turntables
25-10-2017, 19:37
Bit more progress tonight. Finally decided upon the case I'm going to using and yes it's got grab handles :eyebrows:.

Furutech high purity copper IEC.

Just a few odds and sods and then I should be able to start assembly. :cool:

Wakefield Turntables
03-11-2017, 21:11
Hmmmm very near to starting to finish this project

More components

The box finally arrives and is assembled (GRAB HANDLES)!

A quick mock-up.

More to follow.

Intenso
03-11-2017, 21:24
Nice, I see you've gone with the Russian PIO caps.

I used these in my Yaqin MC100B to replace the cheap Chinese Dragon Coupling Caps.

They sound really nice in my amp.

I've been tempted to just buy one of those Douk 834P clones (MC) for a looksie but can't help but be skeptical as to what they have used as a SUT.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing your report on the finished item.

Wakefield Turntables
03-11-2017, 21:32
can't help but be skeptical as to what they have used as a SUT.

They haven't. You use your own.

Intenso
03-11-2017, 21:43
They haven't. You use your own.

I was referring to the pre-built 834P that Douk sell on ebay.

The SUT are housed in what seems like everyday copper plumbing pipe!

Wakefield Turntables
04-11-2017, 08:56
Yep apologies :doh: misread I was quite tired last night. I honestly don't know what they use. I use mine with a Anatek head amp to good effect.

helma
17-01-2018, 14:58
Hi,

Maybe I've missed it if there was ever a separate thread but did you get this one finished and how did it turn out? Did I get it right you ended up with 3 of these (one prebuilt stock, one DIY and one "premium" DIY). I've been a bit on a look out for a phono stage, thinking around £200-300 max and these 834 clones might fit the bill. In that price range there's a lot of options though, both SS & valve, kit/DIY, 2nd hand etc.

I see there's two different pre-built 834 clones, one that looks like it's about 1:1 copy of the original form factor and then the one which is based on a board layout like your DIY project (actually several different variations of that one)...

How much did the DIY version end up costing you with case and everything? I'm not completely opposed even to getting just boards alone and sourcing everything else myself, but that's quite a bit of work and the costs add up, so I'm thinking might not be that much more expensive (if any) to get the prebuilt version and then keep nibbing away at it upgrading that one - because let's face it, that's what's gonna happen unless the stock parts are very good (which i really doubt they are..) I might go for something else entirely eventually but the 834 clone seems like a very good option.

Anyway interested in hearing your thoughts on these and if you ever had many to compare?

Kai

Wakefield Turntables
17-01-2018, 20:26
Hi,

Maybe I've missed it if there was ever a separate thread but did you get this one finished and how did it turn out? Did I get it right you ended up with 3 of these (one prebuilt stock, one DIY and one "premium" DIY). I've been a bit on a look out for a phono stage, thinking around £200-300 max and these 834 clones might fit the bill. In that price range there's a lot of options though, both SS & valve, kit/DIY, 2nd hand etc.

I see there's two different pre-built 834 clones, one that looks like it's about 1:1 copy of the original form factor and then the one which is based on a board layout like your DIY project (actually several different variations of that one)...

How much did the DIY version end up costing you with case and everything? I'm not completely opposed even to getting just boards alone and sourcing everything else myself, but that's quite a bit of work and the costs add up, so I'm thinking might not be that much more expensive (if any) to get the prebuilt version and then keep nibbing away at it upgrading that one - because let's face it, that's what's gonna happen unless the stock parts are very good (which i really doubt they are..) I might go for something else entirely eventually but the 834 clone seems like a very good option.

Anyway interested in hearing your thoughts on these and if you ever had many to compare?

Kai

Kai, hope you keeping well.

The project stalled over winter because my garage was freezing and I manage to contract the Flu :doh:. I'm in the process of sending this off to Mr. Firebottle to have a look at it, simply because I have so much stuff to do. I think Alan will do a top job and he also has the skills to diagnose any errors in my work, and maybe recommend future upgrades :eyebrows:. I have two EAR 834P clones. I have one which I bought from a member over on Lenco heaven which is based around some cheap chineese PCB copies of the EARP circuit, it's intrinsically silver wired and I think has stock standard parts supplied from the Chinese suppliers, so everything is cheap, cheerful but functional. This has input for two tonearms. My second 834 is the one which is the "Reference" version and is the one in this thread it's got silver RCA plugs, solid copper and gold plated IEC, a dual mono-power supply, premium caps etc, solid silver and copper wiring. The ECC83's are NOS mullard's or General Electric JAN's. So I've spent a bit of money on this one! I think I'm upto about £400-500 for my "reference" version but a new EAR834P is well over £1000 and you don't get any fun buying one from the shop. The project was more about tweaking and to be honest the lads over on Lenco Heaven have tweaked the hell out of these boards so what I'm documenting is pretty much what they've done. You can tweak the valve lay out and move away from having x3 ECC83's but that's something I might do later. I'm not sure when I'll be getting this back but I will write something when it turns up!

RothwellAudio
18-01-2018, 16:33

It seems a shame to spend all that time, money and effort on this project and then put a huge mains transformer right next to the RIAA board. Why do that? Why not put the mains transformer in a separate box? You could probably improve the signal-to-noise ratio by about 20dB if you did that.

Wakefield Turntables
18-01-2018, 18:43
It seems a shame to spend all that time, money and effort on this project and then put a huge mains transformer right next to the RIAA board. Why do that? Why not put the mains transformer in a separate box? You could probably improve the signal-to-noise ratio by about 20dB if you did that.

That's why it's going to Alan. I have no understanding of these things and to be honest it's comments like yours which make me see that every so often I need help. Little nuggets and suggestions like yours help people like me (a shed bodger) to get more out of this hobbie. So thanks. :cool:I understand the 834 is not the be all and end all of MM circuit design but it's been a hell of a lot of fun so far. ;)

CornishPasty
19-01-2018, 23:33
I would post some pics of my two box 834 clone but I just haven't had the time to mess about taking pics, downloading them to my desktop and hosting them etc. I still can't work out how to put them here direct or I would :scratch:

helma
20-01-2018, 17:17
Hi Andrew,

thanks for the update, I take it from your investment of time and money that you do quite like the sound. I'm looking into getting both a new phono stage and a little DIY-project, that's why I asked. Not sure where this itch to fire up the soldering iron is coming from, but I have a huge urge to be building something or at least swapping parts for "improvement" whether real or imaginery :)

Wakefield Turntables
20-01-2018, 18:05
We are in the process of looking at RIAA mods as well as reviewing the RIAA and coupling CAPS and also a few mods to the gain stages. I can't go into too much detail as it's a little over my head. Suffice to say I understand what's been suggested and I'm excited to see how things turn out and to especially compare it with my other 834 clone.

Wakefield Turntables
29-01-2018, 18:35
Coming home in a day or so, expect a very very detailed review!

Firebottle
29-01-2018, 19:05
Should be with you tomorrow :D

Wakefield Turntables
31-01-2018, 13:46
Now plugged in with the GE JAN eCC83's. Very very musical indeed! Worth the wait.

Bigman80
31-01-2018, 16:00
Now plugged in with the GE JAN eCC83's. Very very musical indeed! Worth the wait.Waiting for the detailed report !!!!!! [emoji1]

Firebottle
31-01-2018, 17:18
Aren't we all.......

Bigman80
31-01-2018, 17:37
Aren't we all.......🤣

Wakefield Turntables
31-01-2018, 18:28
I've racked up a grand total of 90 minutes listening to this. I need at least 30 hours before I would even consider it broken in. Suffice to say Alan, it's been money very well spent.

Bigman80
31-01-2018, 18:32
I've racked up a grand total of 90 minutes listening to this. I need at least 30 hours before I would even consider it broken in. Suffice to say Alan, it's been money very well spent.I know matey, just pulling your leg.

Wakefield Turntables
04-02-2018, 20:48
review now live!

Bigman80
04-02-2018, 20:57
review now live!Just read it!!!

Wakefield Turntables
08-02-2018, 20:22
Now experimenting in my Reference valve setup. The little fEAR 834 clone has been hooked up with my Sondex S100 / Croft EPOCH combo, and I've got the Silver Meister SPU running though the Lentek (Nick G. Modded) headamp. Stunning. The fEAR clone has moved up another level. Will be interesting to try this with my Ortofon STE80+ SUT which is optimised for the silver meister SPU. Life's just so hard at the moment..... :eek:

Wakefield Turntables
27-04-2018, 17:51
Telefunkens ordered. No not the Ecc803S. Should be here in the next 2 weeks. :eyebrows: Lets see if they can oust the GE JAN 833's.

eldarvanyar
20-12-2018, 17:51
Can you give an update on this project?
I have read a load of threads on LENCO Heaven and was inspired enough to buy Xuling pre assembled psu and main boards.

I have been in touch with Alan at firebottle to send them to him to build a complete clone and he has been very helpful and hope to do so early next year with Christmas out of the way.
I have also ordered a bespoke transformer and choke in the UK.
What mods and tubes would you recommend?
Thanks
Lee

Wakefield Turntables
20-12-2018, 18:52
Can you give an update on this project?
I have read a load of threads on LENCO Heaven and was inspired enough to buy Xuling pre assembled psu and main boards.

I have been in touch with Alan at firebottle to send them to him to build a complete clone and he has been very helpful and hope to do so early next year with Christmas out of the way.
I have also ordered a bespoke transformer and choke in the UK.
What mods and tubes would you recommend?
Thanks
Lee

I added a review which I think you may have read. I have a thread on Lenco Heaven, look for Andrew.R and then find my EAR thread, you'll see lots of photo's over their. I went through lots of ECC83's, Telefunkens, Sovtek, GE JAN variants, but I ended up with x3 Mullard CV4004, expensive but very very worthwhile.